What's good with Minneapolis, MN?

All I know is Stephon Marbury turned down 86 million to work there, it snows a ton, people there sound like the Mother from "Bobby's World", and Prince lives there.

Some eat lutefisk.
alien.gif

Beautiful city. Lakes everywhere.

And they're always talking about it on the Food Network, so they gotta have sum to eat.

great actually. Not as bad weather wise and everyone thinks. it was 110 a few days this summer. Id gladly show you a couple places downtown minneapolis if youre ever in the area dude
pimp.gif

Target seems to be a biig company in the city. There's Target Field for the Twins and the Target Center for the Timberwolves.

Oh and there's Joe Mauer and Kevin Love.

pimp.gif

The place that I rest, and the city that I represent to the fullest.

The Good:
Beautiful Women - Definitely not on the caliber of say a New York or LA, but definitely has some of the best talent that the Midwest has to offer aside from Chicago. I like 'em more than Chicago girls though, because they're always nicer.

Atmosphere/Attitude - People here are pretty friendly. Granted, it's sometimes that fake Minnesota Nice that everyone talks about, but I prefer that over the attitudes of people in New York.

Food - There are some great venues to eat here. A lot of restaurants have been featured on the food network, but beyond that even the local hole in the wall spots are great. Fogo De Chao, True Thai, Ghandi Mahal, Hell's Kitchen..the list goes on.

Outdoors - Over 10,000 lakes really isn't a joke. The official count is more near 20,000. Lots of fishing, hunting, and places to camp. There are a lot of public parks as well. If you like the outdoors, its pretty great during the summer/fall. The city itself is beautiful for a while during the warmer months.

Jobs - There are a lot of jobs here, and a lot of money...assuming you have the qualifications. There's plenty of opportunities, but you might need to find your way into them.

Other Things - One of the biggest malls in the continent is literally a 15 minute train ride away. Nightlife is pretty fun. Biking is a great way to get around. And if you're gay or a hipster, you'll love it here (Minneapolis has the fastest growing gay and hipster population..correlated?..no comment.) Public transportation is a breeze as well. Plenty of stores like Target and Wal-Mart to get what you need. And there are a bunch of different places for you to explore to see where you really like. Uptown, Downtown, Frogtown, Southside...there's a bunch of different cultures. There's also a great music scene. Soundset is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The Bad:
Weather - We only really have two seasons here; Winter and Construction. And during winter it's a PAIN. I'm talking -40 with wind chill for a solid week can definitely be a reality. Not only that, but during the Summer it can get really humid. The weather varies a lot. It can be 20 one week and 60-70 the next. If you can't handle it I would recommend making sure you plan your stay accordingly.

Construction - When there isn't snow on the ground, there will be bright orange construction barriers. The highways are always under construction, and it can be a real pain getting around (especially during rush hour.)

The "Gap" - Despite how Minnesota is usually praised for its good schools and solid job market, people of color are struggling here. Minnesota has the biggest achievement gap in school between African American students and other ethnic groups of any state in the union. The income gap is pretty similar. Be forewarned...there isn't a lot of diversity within the corporate world, and it will be harder for you. 

Repetitiveness - Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to do here. But, if you aren't resourceful and actually look for stuff to do, you'll probably get caught up in doing the same old stuff over and over. As long as you don't let that happen you'll be good.

That's all I can think of right now.

summers are like 80s-90s and mad humid. it can get into the 100s too.

there is good food all over. moa, which is no big deal. it's the same as any other mall but just bigger with an amusement park and other crap.  no need to geek off it. downtown is cool, there are some decent clubs to hit.  there is also about 4 or 5 you will get shot at. my buddy bounces at one and saw 3 people get shot on the 4th of july.

i don't mess with the lakes besides lake minnetonka. if you hit the bars you can go northeast, uptown or downtown.  they all have good spots.  hipster girls all over, especially north east.

i have never even seen lutefisk in my life and i don't have an accent.  that's more the people from the country.  it snows but it's not like we're getting lake tahoe type snowfalls.

are you coming here or what?

Originally Posted by ElCatfisho

university of minnesota
oh yea, hit some college bars in dinkytown if you want to get at some bad rich girls who's parents send them here from all over the world.
laugh.gif
blarneys specifically.

Originally Posted by soltheman

pimp.gif

The place that I rest, and the city that I represent to the fullest.

The Good:
Beautiful Women - Definitely not on the caliber of say a New York or LA, but definitely has some of the best talent that the Midwest has to offer aside from Chicago. I like 'em more than Chicago girls though, because they're always nicer.

Atmosphere/Attitude - People here are pretty friendly. Granted, it's sometimes that fake Minnesota Nice that everyone talks about, but I prefer that over the attitudes of people in New York.

Food - There are some great venues to eat here. A lot of restaurants have been featured on the food network, but beyond that even the local hole in the wall spots are great. Fogo De Chao, True Thai, Ghandi Mahal, Hell's Kitchen..the list goes on.

Outdoors - Over 10,000 lakes really isn't a joke. The official count is more near 20,000. Lots of fishing, hunting, and places to camp. There are a lot of public parks as well. If you like the outdoors, its pretty great during the summer/fall. The city itself is beautiful for a while during the warmer months.

Jobs - There are a lot of jobs here, and a lot of money...assuming you have the qualifications. There's plenty of opportunities, but you might need to find your way into them.

Other Things - One of the biggest malls in the continent is literally a 15 minute train ride away. Nightlife is pretty fun. Biking is a great way to get around. And if you're gay or a hipster, you'll love it here (Minneapolis has the fastest growing gay and hipster population..correlated?..no comment.) Public transportation is a breeze as well. Plenty of stores like Target and Wal-Mart to get what you need. And there are a bunch of different places for you to explore to see where you really like. Uptown, Downtown, Frogtown, Southside...there's a bunch of different cultures. There's also a great music scene. Soundset is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The Bad:
Weather - We only really have two seasons here; Winter and Construction. And during winter it's a PAIN. I'm talking -40 with wind chill for a solid week can definitely be a reality. Not only that, but during the Summer it can get really humid. The weather varies a lot. It can be 20 one week and 60-70 the next. If you can't handle it I would recommend making sure you plan your stay accordingly.

Construction - When there isn't snow on the ground, there will be bright orange construction barriers. The highways are always under construction, and it can be a real pain getting around (especially during rush hour.)

The "Gap" - Despite how Minnesota is usually praised for its good schools and solid job market, people of color are struggling here. Minnesota has the biggest achievement gap in school between African American students and other ethnic groups of any state in the union. The income gap is pretty similar. Be forewarned...there isn't a lot of diversity within the corporate world, and it will be harder for you. 

Repetitiveness - Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to do here. But, if you aren't resourceful and actually look for stuff to do, you'll probably get caught up in doing the same old stuff over and over. As long as you don't let that happen you'll be good.

That's all I can think of right now.
Pretty much sums up the city to me.

I actually enjoy the winter for some odd reason.

Coming to visit. And hell if I like I'll stay. Always been fascinated by Minny. I watched Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and wow, ya wasn't lyin' about the food game.

Winters are indeed brutal for a few months but the one silver lining is the people like to party and create events to pass that time.

Minneapolis is sweet, lived here nearly my whole life.

Back
Top Bottom