What's the best martial art for real life situations?

Originally Posted by ChampionEdition

puerto rican judo.

OH JUDO KNOW I GOT THE GLOCK?!?!?

corny.gif

Krav Maga is your best bet OP. I've been studying it for the past 6 months and especially in law enforcement it really teaches you how to disarm,neutralize, and redirect the attack of the opponent.

I also suggest MT kickboxing as well as some judo for their tosses/throws and jiu-jitsu for the armlocks/leglocks. I wouldn't get into BJJ just because itsmore of a ground combat and it doesn't seem likely you would fight on the ground too much and if you do the jiu-jitsu should have you covered.

For someone who does not live in Montana I have done my share of training for fights. I do target shooting with rifles, shotguns and pistols. My old school,Nicaraguan civil war veteran uncles took it upon themselves to show me the rudiments of IEDs, grenades, bobby traps, recon/sneaking, dealing with snipers,disabling vehicles and close quarter melees with rifles and/or knives, every day with them is like an FPS. I also practice kendo, which involves japaneseswordsmanship, we beat the crap out of eachother with bamboo versions of various samurai swords. That is good for readying your mind for any sortof fight.

In your case, kendo may make great hobby and could one day make you a better fighter but what you need for immediate results is to take elements of variousunarmed martial arts. For your purposes, you will want to emphasize disarming an opponent, trapping or blocking or dodging an attack, counter acting a strike,using your opponent's momentum (judo is very good for this) and fighting where it is assumed that in most cases you cannot maneuver very well or even throwa very good punch. After doing this things look at blocking and throwing hard punches because sometimes you will have enough space where it will be more likeboxing then clawing and wrestling.

Low on your priories should be kicks. Kicks, alon gwith elaborate combos can be useful with lots of trainin gand/or in certian situations but you need to knowhow beat people in situations where a kick is not going to help much (the only kicks you should think of in real fights are knees to the groin or a kick tofinish off someone on the ground). One aspect of martial arts that you should do see as superfluous are the lessons about your correct state of mind, this isnot new aged babble. I kow from kendo that you need the right mindset to fight and win and if you have a calm but alert mind you can defeat someone whose mindis in the more natural, pure adrenaline, rage addled state of mind.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Me and a co-worker are looking to become police officers.
So use your batons/taser.
Then murder him with your guns.
Remember to sprinkle some PCP on him afterwards.

Someone post the bas rutten video.

I'd say BJJ for one on one tho. Took it for 6 months, hell of a lot of fun too.

Originally Posted by Primavera Vills

Filipino Kali
this and krav maga.

kali (aka escrima) has a similar philosophy as krav maga: to end an encounter as quickly and effectively as possible. it's taught with and without weapons(usually a rattan stick). i guess that would translate well with a police baton. both are taught to some degree to soldiers around the world

I was taking Krav Magra for a little over 6 months in between the past 3 years of training BJJ and Muy Thai.

Krav Magra is really no joke.

Escrima is also awesome but if something pops off you aren't going to have a stick although everything you learn can be translated to a knife.

judo and kyokushin/ishin ryu/tradtional japanese karate/ thread.

seriously the japanese police dont use guns.

all they use is judo and most of them are also trained in karate.

my sensie says they really do some brutal training over there at the police academy, the japanese police actually popularized judo, they use to do japanesejiujitsu, but they held a compatition between ryu jiujitsu's best school and kano's new jijitsu ( now known as judo) to see which is more efficeint..judo won 12 Ws 1 tie and 2 loss's

authentic karate not some fake or tiger schulmans
laugh.gif

muy thai and BJJ is sport, since i cross trained in all 4, i could say this without being biast.

and if you say muy thai is better then kyokushin, kyokushin champs crushed muy thai ones in k-1.. to much hype these kids have.

Back
Top Bottom