Whats up with these pop up ads

Are you getting Pop up ads?

• Total voters
C2FA55E1-24CC-4E6B-8D93-2FEE0016DEEA.png

On an other forum I visit this happens only on WiFi, and switching to lte stops it

But here switching to lte seems to be causing it more for me.

Yeah I'm on my desktop at work and I'm getting the one at the bottom.

I just X it out though because they site is free man.

Maybe Meth and Nelson C can do like what Wikipadiea does where you choose to donate a certain amount if you want.

I remember years ago when we were on ezboard there was like an option to donate or something like that.

Maybe Meth and Nelson C can do like what Wikipadiea does where you choose to donate a certain amount if you want.

I remember years ago when we were on ezboard there was like an option to donate or something like that.
Yes I’m getting those too. So annoying

Methodical Management Methodical Management Dude, did you sign over your life to these ad companies or something?

I am not getting in-browser pop-ups while on Mobile and on the Desktop.

I literally have to click X's as if I am trying to watch a streammed PPV.

They are either at the top right or bottom right of the page.

Is everything good man?
We're currently testing a persistent ad placement to address recent ad industry changes. We're not immune to the forces that have caused massive layoffs across the online publishing industry.
We need to adapt if we want to do things like develop new features/upgrades or make significant donations, so we're gathering data that will inform the construction of our new layout.

You can find more detail here:
https://niketalk.com/threads/annoying-pop-ups-ad-while-browsing-nt.646912/page-11#post-31703915

We greatly appreciate everyone's patience.

Thank you for understanding.

We ran the site completely ad free from 1999 through mid-2006. For those who don't know, ezboard was a forum network that allowed anyone to create a free message board. For a fee, you could remove the ads from your forum. Nelson and I initially paid those fees out of pocket. They were less than the cost of a pair of sneakers. Over time, the fees rose, and we used ezboard's "community chest" feature to raise the money together as a group. We were offered reduced rates by ezboard's owner, but struggled to raise even the drastically discounted amount as the site grew and costs rose. In 2006, the company changed hands, and we've had to rely on advertising ever since.

Rather than set out a "tip jar" that would not allow us to meaningfully reduce our need for advertising revenue, we've instead encouraged the generous few who've offered direct contributions to donate that money to one of the worthy charities we've helped support instead.

If this is a subject of interest, there's some additional discussion of "ad free premium subscriptions" in the other thread as well:
https://niketalk.com/threads/annoying-pop-ups-ad-while-browsing-nt.646912/page-11#post-31706493

Methodical Management Methodical Management Dude, did you sign over your life to these ad companies or something?

I am not getting in-browser pop-ups while on Mobile and on the Desktop.

I literally have to click X's as if I am trying to watch a streammed PPV.

They are either at the top right or bottom right of the page.

Is everything good man?

I noticed it says Niketalk v5 on the bottom of the page now. Guess only updates are what ads we get :smh:

tenor.gif

I've been getting this one only recently. Probably Tuesday of this week I first noticed it. Super annoying to have to click the X all the time, but it's not the end of the world.

Man, people love this site.

We can easily raise whatever is needed.

We aren't trying to donate to those charities we want NT without a bunch of 1990s NBA playoff wipes all over the screen.

Why are you of the belief that a tip jar wouldn't solve some/part/most of our issues?

I’m also interested in what the cost would be. There’s some people who grew up on here, who are now adults, that would probably be interested in raising funds/ giving whatever is needed.

I noticed it says Niketalk v5 on the bottom of the page now. Guess only updates are what ads we get :smh:

tenor.gif
As I've mentioned, the purpose of this test is to inform the development of the new layout that we'll be using after a significant software update. If we want a lot of custom development work to add features, we have to pay for it.

Man, people love this site.

We can easily raise whatever is needed.

We aren't trying to donate to those charities we want NT without a bunch of 1990s NBA playoff wipes all over the screen.

Why are you of the belief that a tip jar wouldn't solve some/part/most of our issues?
1. That was our model from 1999-2006 and donations became increasingly insufficient as the site grew. Our previous partners (ezboard/Yuku, Huddler) went out of business.

2. Our last crowdfunding event raised $6,635: https://www.crowdrise.com/fundraise-and-volunteer/donations/roomtoread2014-se/niketalkcommunity
Over a third of that came from Instyleshoes.

In the past, we've issued ~$50,000 in donations in a single year - and that's just donations, not operating expenses.

If our last fundraiser generated $4,283, we'd need to be doing that every single month to produce the same donations through direct fundraising that we have through ad sales.

If including a persistent ad placement on the site can get us back to that level and ensure that we're able to deliver the type of software updates that many of you want, it's something we have to evaluate.
If it really bothers you, we're allowing people to opt out of the test and there are instructions for that in the other thread. I'd like to keep all the requests centralized if possible.

Should we decide that we need to incorporate a persistent ad placement in the new layout, we'll explore some sort of option that would allow those most troubled by the ads to purchase an ad free subscription.
That way, you wouldn't need to raise enough money to remove the ads for every single lurker - only to help offset the revenue losses that would be associated with ad removal for your own account.

Back
Top Bottom