What's your major/What do you do now?

Product design, i'm still in school but hopefully i get this internship with nike next year

Civil Engineering, going to transfer to Mechanical. 2nd year. Here we goooooo

I double majored in Economics and History in 2008
I got a Masters in Economics in 2011
I am currently working on a PhD in Economics

I have worked in Finance as an analyst.
I took over my cousin's financial planning firm on an interim basis for six months
I now own and manage a vineyard and I an economic consultant for a State Legislator
I am also a community organizer and I want to eventually hold elected offices at the State and/or Federal level.

My advice is to have wealthy relatives who can get you these cool jobs. I am not bragging, I benefited and continue to benefit from nepotism. I have been equal to my jobs but based on what I saw in college and in my work experience, there have always seemed to be more people who are genuinely qualified to hold a position in banking, finance, business and politics. That may not be true for some jobs, maybe brain surgeons and fighter pilots, but I can say, with absolute certitude, that the guy in the front office, making 120k as an analyst, is not four times smarter, than the temp in the back office who makes 30k doing data entry. In business and politics, no one, who has a cushy job is such a singular talent that they are irreplaceable.

With all of that said; if you are in college, there are choices that you can make that will make you more valuable within the labor market. The STEM majors from any university, give a new graduate, the best chance of landing a professional job even without help from parents. Math, Science and Engineering do what all College degrees did a Century ago, they assure inform a potential employers that the holder of that Diploma was able to handle years of rigorous study and had the self discipline and intelligence to make it through that course of study.

The STEM majors give you a good deal of options, if you do not like Engineering (the most obvious career for STEM majors), you can go to grad school, study Law (Law Schools heavily weight their admissions towards the LSAT, largely a logic test/intelligence test and aside from Economics and Philosophy undergrads, STEM majors do the best on the LSAT), you could work in Finance (the more technical analysts use a ton of advanced math and that subset of Finance is actually meritorious). The fact is that the world is usually short of capable scientists and engineers because every year, tens of thousands of undergrads are too stupid or too undisciplined to master the math and the rigorous applications thereof in order to pass their STEM classes.

The third option aside from nepotism or STEM is to study Economics and/or Accounting at an elite school. Even if you have no family connections, a degree in economics or accounting from a truly elite school carries with it a great deal of cachet and it can actually get a person a decent, professional job like financial analyst at a major accounting or investment banking firm.

Let me close by saying that while getting a good career started is obviously very important, do not ever look at college as job training. Your employer and/or experience are what will teach you most of what you know for doing a job. A University simply cannot train you to do to do a job. By that same token, the University teaches things that the "real world," never can. For that reason, consider double majoring.

If you have kids, if you are working full time, than you should focus on getting a degree that will make you more money. However, for the more traditional undergraduate, do not pass up an opportunity to spend a few years of your lives being able to devote considerable amount time into studying ideas. Philosophy, History, Classics and Literature have a transcendent property. They give life beauty and meaning. If you read the Latin and Greek and Medieval classics, you get deep insights into human nature and you can make sense of all of the nonsense and the tragedies that have, do and will befall humanity.

By all means, make money, money is needed for survival, more is needed for comfort and even more is needed for a good and secure life. Beyond that, no amount of wealth can make up for being uneducated. Being perpetually confused, unable to read and understand great fiction and non fiction and to easily deceived by whomever is able to string together a few sentences is not a desirable fate. Even if the uneducated person makes a great deal of money, he or she will be fundamentally unhappy and fundamentally bored with the World.

If the appeal to the power of secular transcendence does not compel you to incorporate History and the Classics into your course of study, consider the practical insights that it offers to someone who wants to be in business or politics. If you study History, you can make it so that not only do you know of every Financial bubbles in the last thousands years but you are familiar with the how governments acted and how businessmen spoke through a given business cycle, that might help you to anticipate a financial bubble or to see through a slick businessman's prospectus for a soon to be bankrupt firm. Knowledge of Athenian Democracy, Roman Republicanism, Renaissance City States and Past American History give use insight into how elected governments behave, technology changes but human nature is immutable. The Demagogue, Huckster and ambitious men lurk in every center of wealth and power no matter the century.

Good luck to everyone who is trying to better themselves through education.

Yeah most schools don't but its a fast growing field. Supply Chain is usually a part of the business school. It's a field of study that encompasses nearly every function on the cost side of a business, from purchasing, logistics and transportation, operations, distribution, etc. Companies are always trying to remove cost from their business and they often do it by improving their supply chains. As a result, supply chain majors are always in high demand. Cats are getting hired from the top 15 or so supply chain programs for $50+k per year easy.

Yup would def recommend this major, my mans does contract work for Syngenta, and is pulling in $39/hr been doing it for about a year now, and should become permanent within the next few months or so

Last edited:
realtalk im clueless of how to get a joob. i ned to find an internship first.

but in my field you can work for any company since they need ppl in my field to manage their networks/systems

Pleighboi not trying to scare you but you need to be putting in work now, no such thing as an entry level IT gig anymore so if you don't get internships and learn stuff now you're going to be looking sick when you go online looking for jobs and entry level/ Level 1 positions are asking for 2-3 yrs experience lol

Bachelors of Business Admin concentration in Management.

Currently work as a developer for a company that provides instant credit decisions for financial institutions.

BS in Business Administration

Working in sales/marketing for a computer software company in the East Bay

Well said Rex. Congrats on your success.

So basically it boils down to landing internships and the amount of experience you have in whatever field you're trying to get into as well as your grades. Yes there are a few folks out there who know people that can get you a job which is great and all but for those that don't have it getting an internship is the way to go. I'm 24 and still working on my BA because I messed up for two years and I regret it everyday. I feel like I won't get out of college till I'm 27 now.

Last edited:
B.A in Mass Communications

Currently do PR for rail operations for a major transit agency in southern Cali.

It took me two years to land this job. Stay hungry, be a spoke and learn everything you can.

Psych major
not taking class/too expensive
working full time as a Jr. Business analyst for a health software company

B.B.A. In Computer Information Systems

Software Engineer

8 Classes away from my M.B.A. in Computer Information Systems

BS: Computer Information Systems

Currently working in Risk Management and Insurance

Been busting my *** on codeacademy to make myself as prepared as possible to start gunning for a Google internship.

I think after I put in my 6 months at the bank im working at im going to get a job at DIT. Put in my 6 months there, land a summer internship in finance, and just keep alternating between finance and computer science/engineering internships until I graduate.

Again, sophomore, dual finance/computer science major.

Back
Top Bottom