whats your take on Obama mandating a 36MPG minimum on cars? VOL. RIP V8, corvette, camaro, chargers

screw the government man. i love performance cars, and now this is just another way the government is taking control of EVERYTHING.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

screw the government man. i love performance cars, and now this is just another way the government is taking control of EVERYTHING.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

makes sense to me. i saw this on aol.com a few days ago. within hours thousands of comments and a poll showing them not agreeing with it in large numbers.. fundamentally I have to ask why are people so ignorant to think what he's doing is so wrong. Obama stays being hated on no matter what he does, it appears
because he's basically taking away our ability to purchase something we may or may not want.

I might not want to save gas. I might want a v8 Corvette that gets horrible gas mileage.

yep. if i can afford a GT-R, then i have the right to buy one. government needs to stick to actually fixing the corrupt finance system, or putting more fundinginto education and healthcare... oh wait, those are REAL issues.

@#^^& the obama-bots on this forum. seriously.

yep. if i can afford a GT-R, then i have the right to buy one. government needs to stick to actually fixing the corrupt finance system, or putting more funding into education and healthcare... oh wait, those are REAL issues.

laugh.gif
Cosign though. People are getting laid off. This couldhave waited.

Originally Posted by doyung9

makes sense to me. i saw this on aol.com a few days ago. within hours thousands of comments and a poll showing them not agreeing with it in large numbers.. fundamentally I have to ask why are people so ignorant to think what he's doing is so wrong. Obama stays being hated on no matter what he does, it appears
because he's basically taking away our ability to purchase something we may or may not want.

I might not want to save gas. I might want a v8 Corvette that gets horrible gas mileage.
man im a Obama supporter but this is America if i want to buy a ZO6 and burn gas thats on me. if i can buy it without restrictions who is he tosay i cant burn it!!!

Originally Posted by doyung9

I cringe at those who put such random constraints on their thoughts and ideas. Why couldn't you just be rational and logical and hope for a v8Corvette that has GREAT gas mileage? It's possible! Why can't it be? If we're looking for and expecting a cure for AIDS, cancer, intelligent lifein distant galaxies, we sure as hell can make cars damn more efficient! Technology is not what's impeding cars' progress. It's big oil. That'sit!

RKO2004 wrote:
finnns2003 wrote:
yep. if i can afford a GT-R, then i have the right to buy one. government needs to stick to actually fixing the corrupt finance system, or putting more funding into education and healthcare... oh wait, those are REAL issues.

laugh.gif
Cosign though. People are getting laid off. This could have waited.

??? This isn't starting today..

I'm not into mandating many things but like the weight analogy most people won't lose weight until they are faced with the lose weight or die.

Also I'd take this over the people who say do nothing. Mandate is an extreme but if you look at AMERICAN CAR COMPANIES, they don't do anything"new" that foreign companies haven't done and perfected or close to perfected but make twice as good as the U.S. With car companies only way todeal with them is tell them what to do. Not expect them to be leaders of the pack because they haven't in a long time.

Government mandate > denying climate change and saying all U.S. car companies need to do is get rid of the union, they don't need to improve their cars.

Originally Posted by Essential1

RKO2004 wrote:
finnns2003 wrote:

laugh.gif

??? This isn't starting today..

I'm not into mandating many things but like the weight analogy most people won't lose weight until they are faced with the lose weight or die.

Also I'd take this over the people who say do nothing. Mandate is an extreme but if you look at AMERICAN CAR COMPANIES, they don't do anything "new" that foreign companies haven't done and perfected or close to perfected but make twice as good as the U.S. With car companies only way to deal with them is tell them what to do. Not expect them to be leaders of the pack because they haven't in a long time.

Government mandate > denying climate change and saying all U.S. car companies need to do is get rid of the union, they don't need to improve their cars.
I know. I'm just venting for personal reasons. Carry on
laugh.gif

There's about two people in this thread that seem to understand. Fleet average =/= every car. Also,
manufacturers of larger vehicles (i.e. vehicles with larger footprints) would face less stringent standards (i.e., higher CO2 grams/mile standards and lower CAFE standards) than manufacturers of smaller vehicles.

I'm going out on a limb here, but wouldn't this mandate help motivate technology? Sure hybrid cars today are weak and do 0 to 60 in one day, but whoknows in the future. Car manufacturers may put in some work on the R&D side to get a car going and moving like OG whips but with more advanced tech. Idunno, just a thought
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Technology is not what's impeding cars' progress. It's big oil. That's it!
Truth.
Sooner or later, we need to up the technology. A century ago, we were rocking steam. Now we got gas. I'm sure in a few years, with extensive research, wecan get a battery or hydrogen power to push cars into "high performance". I mean, we built a ****** hadron collider, why can't we make a fast ***hybrid
ohwell.gif
?

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

I'm going out on a limb here, but wouldn't this mandate help motivate technology? Sure hybrid cars today are weak and do 0 to 60 in one day, but who knows in the future. Car manufacturers may put in some work on the R&D side to get a car going and moving like OG whips but with more advanced tech. I dunno, just a thought
ohwell.gif

It's never a corporation's fault. Always remember that.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

How else would it get done?
tax breaks/incentives for each unit produced that comply with the new standards
basically....better to lure bees with honey then with vinegar...

i rather pay a gas guzzler tax for my car that i want then have the cars that i like OFF the market cuz da tree huggers are power trippin.

Lol at some of the people in here saying, if not now, when will we make the shift. Last summer when gas averaged $4 a gallon, people started scrambling forhybrids, let gas run up and people will inertly shift to more fuel efficient things, no need to mandate anything, this is how simple economics works. You guysneed to wake up, government is socializing the little things and you guys don't even see it. You just gladly accept it with open arms.

What am I to say though, there's a been a shift in fundamental American ideology. Moregovernment is good because the private sector let us down... even though it was government that created all this to begin with lol.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

laugh.gif
This will create more jobs.

Why couldn't you just be rational and logical and hope for a v8 Corvette that has GREAT gas mileage?
thats a oxymoron....plus why hope for it when power street shreddin corvettes already exist.

all man its gonna be a sad day when they stop makin muscle cars again....
frown.gif
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by reigndrop

Lol at some of the people in here saying, if not now, when will we make the shift. Last summer when gas averaged $4 a gallon, people started scrambling for hybrids, let gas run up and people will inertly shift to more fuel efficient things, no need to mandate anything, this is how simple economics works. You guys need to wake up, government is socializing the little things and you guys don't even see it. You just gladly accept it with open arms.

What am I to say though, there's a been a fundamental American ideology. More government is good because the private sector let us down... even though it was government that created all this to begin with lol.
QFT

if u ballin and you can afford a high performance whip,and you can afford da price at da pump then no one should be able to tell you that you can't copthat car.

Originally Posted by November33rd

laugh.gif
I know. I was venting because I thought the Charger was in danger.

Originally Posted by November33rd

laugh.gif
I know. I was venting because I thought the Charger was in danger.
it is in danger...new cars gotta comply with with the mpg....

i like gas saving cars and all

but this would mean most of the exotic and muscles cars would be banned

STUPID!!!

!%%+ obama, he's all talk, hasn't done a damn thing yet. all he's doing is flapping his lips. My damn tuition at school went up 360 dollars (johnjay college). A state school at that. I don't see no break for the average joe out there as he's been preaching. as far as i'm concerned, !%%+Obama, he aint #!#@. Keep wishing on a star, democrats and republicans are both robbing our nation blind.

Originally Posted by reigndrop

Lol at some of the people in here saying, if not now, when will we make the shift. Last summer when gas averaged $4 a gallon, people started scrambling for hybrids, let gas run up and people will inertly shift to more fuel efficient things, no need to mandate anything, this is how simple economics works. You guys need to wake up, government is socializing the little things and you guys don't even see it. You just gladly accept it with open arms.

What am I to say though, there's a been a fundamental American ideology. More government is good because the private sector let us down... even though it was government that created all this to begin with lol.
preach. these obama-bots and other sheep want the government to control everything. it's really sickening, and an insult to american freedom.

Back
Top Bottom