whats your take on Obama mandating a 36MPG minimum on cars? VOL. RIP V8, corvette, camaro, chargers

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by reigndrop

Lol at some of the people in here saying, if not now, when will we make the shift. Last summer when gas averaged $4 a gallon, people started scrambling for hybrids, let gas run up and people will inertly shift to more fuel efficient things, no need to mandate anything, this is how simple economics works. You guys need to wake up, government is socializing the little things and you guys don't even see it. You just gladly accept it with open arms.

What am I to say though, there's a been a fundamental American ideology. More government is good because the private sector let us down... even though it was government that created all this to begin with lol.
preach. these obama-bots and other sheep want the government to control everything. it's really sickening, and an insult to american freedom.
QFT

I personally love driving as fast as possible. I can be responsible of course but @%%#, it's boring just driving 40.

Thumbs down to Obama for this bull.

NikeTalker23 wrote:
Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

You guys assume that no one in human history has ever made a rational decision unless he was directed by the boot of an omnipresent and omnipotent state.

If having the government tell us exactly how we can drive is so great why not have government run everything? Why not have them mandate food rationing to save us from ourselves and to save the Earth's resources? Why not do the same with housing, who needs a room of their own? Why not just have us all be housed in government run dormitories? Why do we have professional sports leagues? they use up so much energy and those who watch games on their energy consuming TV's are selfish and short sighted. Why are we allowed any fun or luxuries or choices when government is supposed to be able to know what is best fr us and the good of the Country?

Luckily, I know that most of your would cringe at those ideas, which is a hopeful sign. It shows that many of your are under the temporary spells of Obamania and the puerile desire to see the whole world as a giant turned based strategy game, where the will of leaders is more important than the subtle forces of markets. The sooner a majority of people tire of tireless calls to sacrifice, the sooner this country can stop Obama and company from imposing state created threats to our liberty and happiness.
I usually agree with you but...
indifferent.gif

You cannot be serious. That has to be one of the most idiotic posts I've ever read from you.

What do you dislike about my post? Do you think I am actually advocating these ideas or do you not like my using a reductio line of argument? I willassume it is the latter. Either way, I know that at least some of you guys know a limit to government micro managing people's lives in the name of a"greater good."

I would not assume that cars, health care, energy and credit be the only things subject to tighter regulation and rationing. Many people on the political leftare obsessed with what others eat and what type of housing others use. The amount of time spent thing and talking about obesity, the evils of eating meat ornor organic food and the complaints that so many folks in the exurbs live in large "McMansions." This neo puritanism, that calls itself progressivepolitics, is currently getting most of its ideas implemented into policy.

When you advocate forced austerity for one group, it can very well turn into other forms of mandated austerity for you.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

within hours thousands of comments and a poll showing them not agreeing with it in large numbers.. fundamentally I have to ask why are people so ignorant to think what he's doing is so wrong. Obama stays being hated on no matter what he does, it appears
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Wow.
Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

It makes me shake my head at myself because it has forced me to say something that I never thought I would say and it is "Sean Hannity was right." Years ago the shock jock, said that " the liberals' only solution to our energy problems involves making us all drive Yugos."
Man Rush & Sean have been saying it for years.
Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

It's amazing how %%* backwards a lot of you guys really think. There is technology to get way more than that without sacrificing horse power. Big Oil has always been in bed with the automotive industry and made sure that technology wasn't implemented to keep everyone paying at the pump. In reality we should be getting 100mpg, the technology is there people.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ this guy just blaming oil....
Check the government too homie

Originally Posted by BlackCease

thats where i stand, i have no problem with fuel efficient vehicles, but if i have every right to drive my 8mpg hummer H2 as i see fit da government shouldn't be allowed to choose what kind of car i want to drive.....and in other news....
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

No, you don't. That's like saying you have every right to dump oil in the !$*%@$% ocean. Emissions and pollution as whole are a problem for everyone, if everyone had this kinda attitude we'd all be $%+*$! 10 years from now.

Are you stupid???
Or just un-American???

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

thats where i stand, i have no problem with fuel efficient vehicles, but if i have every right to drive my 8mpg hummer H2 as i see fit da government shouldn't be allowed to choose what kind of car i want to drive.....and in other news....
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

No, you don't. That's like saying you have every right to dump oil in the !$*%@$% ocean.
if i want to drive a hummer and i got the money to, i should have every right to do so, the government shouldn't have a hand into what kinda cars i should be driving.

last time i checked, we're in the US....which is a captial run society, i'm a proponent of letting the consumer demand dictate the products being sold on the road.
Spoken like a true American
Originally Posted by rickybadman

smh.gif
At some of these responses, a minor change to better the country and dudes *****ing just because they are the ones that have to make the sacrifice.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Wouldn't expect anything less
Originally Posted by ICUP

Bammas here are on some bandwagon %+*. If this mandate would have came one year to date when gas prices were almost $5 a gallon, everyone would have been on it.
How about NO
Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by Ortega03

Talk about dealing with future issues such as global warming, this is definately a plan aimed at the environment.
indifferent.gif
tired.gif
Global warming....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by elgrenas

personally as a muscle car and truck fan i HATE it..........

mad.gif

i don't ever wanna drive a car whats battery assisted and weak compared to da big block high HP beasts that i love.

well get used to driving a car with a honda lawnmower motor. hey you can always sup up your mower engine
roll.gif
. what a joke we voted for a president not a dictator mandating from ceo's pay to how cars are going to be built. but hey its change alright.
tongue.gif
MY DUDE WITH THE RUSHLIMBAUGH.COM picture avy!!!
roll.gif
roll.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by i3allistic

As for mandating it, i dont see whats wrong with it...
Apparently you don't know what AMERICA is about!
Originally Posted by November33rd

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

as ive stated before ... who says it will benefit us? the people who believe in "global warming" ... ?
That tells me everything I need to know. Your opinion is useless.
eyes.gif
Because global warming is real......
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ro0ts

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

as ive stated before ... who says it will benefit us? the people who believe in "global warming" ... ?
So let's ignore the evidence that shows greenhouse gases have led to global climate change.
"Evidence".... please.... want me to find you evidence saying that there is no proof that man is the cause? There'sPLENTY out there.

screw the government man. i love performance cars, and now this is just another way the government is taking control of EVERYTHING.
That's Obama's thought pattern though.... that's the thought pattern of the far left..... they want the government bedoing things like..... controlling TONS of stuff
More such things will come....

Originally Posted by 23MCpizzle23

man im a Obama supporter but this is America if i want to buy a ZO6 and burn gas thats on me. if i can buy it without restrictions who is he to say i cant burn it!!!
At least you understand what America is all about.
Originally Posted by Essential1

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

I'm going out on a limb here, but wouldn't this mandate help motivate technology? Sure hybrid cars today are weak and do 0 to 60 in one day, but who knows in the future. Car manufacturers may put in some work on the R&D side to get a car going and moving like OG whips but with more advanced tech. I dunno, just a thought
ohwell.gif

It's never a corporation's fault. Always remember that.
eyes.gif
Yeah the government is the answer..... always......
tired.gif

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Lol at some of the people in here saying, if not now, when will we make the shift. Last summer when gas averaged $4 a gallon, people started scrambling for hybrids, let gas run up and people will inertly shift to more fuel efficient things, no need to mandate anything, this is how simple economics works. You guys need to wake up, government is socializing the little things and you guys don't even see it. You just gladly accept it with open arms.

What am I to say though, there's a been a fundamental American ideology. More government is good because the private sector let us down... even though it was government that created all this to begin with lol.
preach. these obama-bots and other sheep want the government to control everything. it's really sickening, and an insult to american freedom.
QFT
QFT x 2

Originally Posted by desent

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

It's amazing how %%* backwards a lot of you guys really think. There is technology to get way more than that without sacrificing horse power. Big Oil has always been in bed with the automotive industry and made sure that technology wasn't implemented to keep everyone paying at the pump. In reality we should be getting 100mpg, the technology is there people.
proof
nerd.gif
Fuel Injection, Hybrids with Battery And Gas Mix... First Born is completely right... and smh at the guy that said hannity was right and obama is forcing us into "less safe, less comfortable, less... blah blah cars" The companies can just create cars with higher mpg... It's not that hard, and if they want to stay in business they will have to be more fuel conscious. So no they are not going to just let it go and give up they will try and succeed or like most business fail...

Survivor of the fittest!

There inlies the big problem. Obama will not let them fail. And the 39 mpg average is a fleet average, not every vehicle so if a company could still havevehicles in the 20s as along as the average for all the models is 39. Not sure if it applies to SUVs/trucks or not.

Originally Posted by CalvinJohnson

obama ftw

Weren't you in the Friday thread moaning about not having a prom date? You sound really naive saying "obama ftw"

hes also the guy who spelled dress "jress" ... solid ...
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by TheGr8BlkHope

for some reason loosening the grip of the oil monopolies and polluting less seems more important than a V8 engine...but thats just my opinion.
agreed.

you guys really care this much about this? first off its not like this is goin down tomorrow, you still got a good couple years to enjoy ur hummers and urbimmers... i voted obama, but im far from mr. super pro obama, and far from anti-obama, but i do realize that when i voted him in, that i was voting forsomeone to shake things up, and to change with the times. we consume way more gas than the rest of the world. we need to chill. we need better publictransportation and none of that goes through because of how 'in bed' our countries leaders have been with big oil and the automotive industries. yeaits whack whatever my car is illegal 7 years but whatever, throw it in the gutter, go buy another.

Petrol.jpg

SMH BOUT TIME

I DONT THINK YALL GUYS GET THE BIGGER PICTURE THO

THE CAR IS WAY OVER DUE

SINCE 1912 OR WHENEVER THE FIRST WAS BUILT

WE ARE IN THE YEAR 2009

AROUND THE 40'S-50'S

WE MADE THE FIRST PERSONAL FLYING THINGY

NOW

WE ARE STILL USING CARS TILL THIS DAY

HELL EVEN NAZI'S MADE THEY VERY OWN UFO'S

BACK WHEN THEY WAS ON TOP

WE NEED TO BE FLYING RIGHT NOW SINCE THE 80'S-90'S

REMEMEBER THE HYPE FOR THE FLYING CAR & MICHEAL JACKSON GOING TO BE FIRST WITH IT

HUH?/......WAT HAPPPEN ????

THE BIG NAMES AT TOP

ARE SCARED FOR PEOPLE TO FLY ON THEY OWN

IT KEEPS US UNDER CONTROL
& LIMITED ALSO

TAKING YEARS TO DRIVE FROM FL TO NY

FLYING >>> DRIVING AS OF THE YEAR 09'

YOU'LL SOON UNDERSTAND ...BECAUSE THE ONES IN SPACE DO...
pimp.gif

The Modern Liberal believes in the supremacy of the state.... For the Modern Liberal, the individual's imperfection and personal pursuits impede the objectives of a utopian state. In this, Modern Liberalism promotes what French Historian Alexis de Tocqueville called soft tyranny, which becomes increasingly more oppressive, partially leading to hard tyranny.... As the word "liberal" is, in its classical meaning, the opposite of authoritarian, it is more accurate, therefore, to characterize the Modern Liberal as a Statist.

flying is way less efficient than those bullet trains they pop off with in asia and europe

Iansmk wrote:
Originally Posted by TheGr8BlkHope

for some reason loosening the grip of the oil monopolies and polluting less seems more important than a V8 engine...but thats just my opinion.
agreed.

you guys really care this much about this? first off its not like this is goin down tomorrow, you still got a good couple years to enjoy ur hummers and ur bimmers... i voted obama, but im far from mr. super pro obama, and far from anti-obama, but i do realize that when i voted him in, that i was voting for someone to shake things up, and to change with the times. we consume way more gas than the rest of the world. we need to chill. we need better public transportation and none of that goes through because of how 'in bed' our countries leaders have been with big oil and the automotive industries. yea its whack whatever my car is illegal 7 years but whatever, throw it in the gutter, go buy another.

Petrol.jpg

Posting a graph does not make a bad idea into a good idea. What that graph shows is that most people would like to drive but in most parts of the world, theirgasoline is too heavily taxed or they are too poor to be able to afford that luxury so they have to settle for public transportation, which is almost always aninferior substitute for getting to drive. Even in the face of high taxes, when countries become wealthier, people start to buy cars so they can get off ofpublic transportation or off of scooters or ox carts.

People every where want to drive, we Americans, on average, actually get to drive a lot and this some how problem? Posting a pair of bar graphs does not changethe fact that these news laws are part of series of laws that limit consumer choice, needlessly reduce cost and/or supply of a good and push us further downthe road of central economic planning and rationing of goods that right now do not have to be rationed. If you want to undertake an agenda of voluntaryausterity, go ahead, it you dragging myself and others who do not want to be a part of this madness with you.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

No, you don't. That's like saying you have every right to dump oil in the !$*%@$% ocean. Emissions and pollution as whole are a problem for everyone, if everyone had this kinda attitude we'd all be $%+*$! 10 years from now.

Are you stupid???
Or just un-American???

You know what, I'm gonna take that one back. Yall are both 100% right, you do have the right to drive a 8mpg hummer, the freedom to do so is a principlethat this country was built on and it's part of what makes living here so great, I don't wanna see the day when it's illegal to drive a truck/sportscar/whatever. It's not that you don't or shouldn't have the right, it's that,bottom line, those type of cars are +#$!$$$ the environment up for everybody, so I somewhat agree with a mandate, because car companies need to take the hitand start producing more efficient hummers and sports cars. Believe me it can be done, hell, it's being done rightnow, but they're profiting off cars that only get 8mpg and we all know the bottom line is whats important. I'mtellin yall, sports car don't die out and neither do trucks, period. It's just doesn't happen, and anybody who says it does has no ideawhat kind of technology is available right now for automakers.

I like the outcome of the mandate, but whether or not we could've achieved that same outcome in a less heavy handed way, that's a whole other issue.

cars are going to be more expensive and less powerful ... unless we "miraculously" come up with a significant amount of R & D funding where wewill be able to create the technology to make up for it ... which, under the current economic situation and industry standing of american manufacturers, isabsolutely absurd ...

we are sitting here on the verge of GM going bankrupt and this is our solution to the energy "crisis" ... lol ... i dont even like hannity that muchbut damn if the one thing he contstantly harps on is the democrats solution being just make smaller, less safe cars ... every time i turn on his show hestalking about his hybrid escalade that he loves lmao ...

It's not that you don't or shouldn't have the right, it's that, bottom line, those type of cars are +#$!$$$ the environment up for everybody, so I somewhat agree with a mandate, because car companies need to take the hit and start producing more efficient hummers and sports cars. Believe me it can be done, hell, it's being done right now, but they're profiting off cars that only get 8mpg and we all know the bottom line is whats important. I'm tellin yall, sports car don't die out and neither do trucks, period. It's just doesn't happen, and anybody who says it does has no idea what kind of technology is available right now for automakers.

I like the outcome of the mandate, but whether or not we could've achieved that same outcome in a less heavy handed way, that's a whole other issue.

seriously, read up on the massive "pollution" that a hummer emits into the atmosphere and youll realize how insignificant it really is ... smalltrucks on down dont even make up 2% of all greenhouse gases ... and what is this "taking a hit talk?" the car companies are just going to raiseprices in order to "fund" the r & d it takes to design these cars and implement the technology ... the only hit to be taken will be in theconsumers pockets ... same idea behind an energy tax on companies passing the "hit" down to its consumers ... same with small businesses ... theproblem with you people is you dont look past the initial plan and just see it for face value ...

yea, lets keep using %#+*%% emission cars, forever. makes perfect sense. obama's ruining our freedoms.

i'm scared for the future of this world...while the "mandate" make the standard seem sinister, it is so necessary; we've (here in the us)have been talking about making more efficient cars & reducing dependence on foreign oil for a few DECADES now...as for folk concerned about thegov'ment dictating what we drive? isn't clear that the mandate is an average for a the range of cars produced? this doesn't mean performancevehicles go away, they will likely need to be more fuel efficient though. so i'm not sure the conclusion that choice, fuel efficiency, & hp are notdiametrically opposed ideas...i can't understand what the opposing argument is? do people think having more fuel efficient vehicles is a bad thing?

Originally Posted by tokes99

i'm scared for the future of this world...while the "mandate" make the standard seem sinister, it is so necessary; we've (here in the us) have been talking about making more efficient cars & reducing dependence on foreign oil for a few DECADES now...as for folk concerned about the gov'ment dictating what we drive? isn't clear that the mandate is an average for a the range of cars produced? this doesn't mean performance vehicles go away, they will likely need to be more fuel efficient though. so i'm not sure the conclusion that choice, fuel efficiency, & hp are not diametrically opposed ideas...i can't understand what the opposing argument is? do people think having more fuel efficient vehicles is a bad thing?
We don't want to see our old favorites go
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom