When and Why did you lose interest in sneakers VOL.....PRIORITIES

Lot of times when we strike out on releases, anger & anxiety hits. Happened with concord11 with me. Realized next Morning that it ain't that cereal. Been buying kicks since niketown days when they used to give you little envelopes with store credit when returning kicks. Love sneakers and always will. I'll rock a 8$ shirt with some dickies but my kicks gotta be clean.

Lot of times when we strike out on releases, anger & anxiety hits. Happened with concord11 with me. Realized next Morning that it ain't that cereal. Been buying kicks since niketown days when they used to give you little envelopes with store credit when returning kicks. Love sneakers and always will. I'll rock a 8$ shirt with some dickies but my kicks gotta be clean.
I completely agree; I was just puzzled why you quoted me. I wasn't the one who claimed sneaker culture is depressing; I said just the opposite.

I got older and I have a mortgage and two kids, lots of expences, care less about clothes now as I've become more of a minimalist, prices have gone up, quality has gone down, hypebeasts make me sick, still have lots of kicks from 2009.

i enjoy buying shoes but i do the bare minimum to get them. i can't stand lines and the people hovering on my back too antsy to give me personal space..

Still love kicks, that'll never go away, but not a hardcore fan like before.

I used to camp for days :smh:

Overnights :smh:

called off work :smh:

Now im 27, still like shoes but its just stuff thats available in the store at that time, and i'll enter raffles, if i win then i win

Speaking of, just last Friday I got on the ol' Nike+ SNKRS app to try to get a pair of PG1 Shinings, I was got on as soon as it went live, sold out before I could even buy. I am not going to lie, I was somewhat heated.

So it's just because everyone is getting older ?

Sounds to be it.

Bills, rent, car note etc etc

Sneakers go out the window when you have a family and bills.

I could buy sneakers and manage all my bills but then i question myself do i really NEED the shoes or do i WANT them ?

Big difference i learned.

The money could go to something better later on down the road.

I'm still somewhat interested in sneakers, just not as much as I used to be. When I found myself with at least one pair (usually more) for every situation (indoor ball, outdoor ball, running, going out, certain seasons, etc.) and enough pairs of versatile or matching colorways/styles to go with whatever I'm wearing, I felt like I had all my bases covered even though my collection may be small compared to many on here.

Nowadays most of the shoes I buy are to replace a beat shoe of a certain function. On occasion I'll buy a shoe just because I'm really feeling it, but that's happening less and less often now that I'm working and wearing sneakers less frequently.

Last edited:
It's not even age or priorities with me, aside from not having the time to rock em, new sneaks no longer bring me that "joy." It almost became too routine like, do research, cop em, wait for them to be delivered, un box and stack em in the sneaker room...damn near weekly. That stopped being fun about 3 or 4 years ago.

Years ago I'd be hella excited for them black and blue low 13s about to drop, been wanting them since I was a kid, now they are about to drop and I'm like "if I get em I get em, if I strike out then oh well." It's funny and kinda sad to get older and have the means to support your life long hobbies and to just lose interest in them. I just found other vices to spend my bread on.

I'm still fake interested tho, because I'm hearing rumblings of BC3s with Nike air and that's my favorite shoe ever and if that's true [emoji]128483[/emoji]I.NEED.ALL.THE.PAIRS.

My daughter is into sneakers, her excitement is dope to me, because she's a girly girl, but still likes sneaks. She'll hit me and tell me when something is dropping, it's a trip. :lol:

It's not even age or priorities with me, aside from not having the time to rock em, new sneaks no longer bring me that "joy." It almost became too routine like, do research, cop em, wait for them to be delivered, un box and stack em in the sneaker room...damn near weekly. That stopped being fun about 3 or 4 years ago.

Years ago I'd be hella excited for them black and blue low 13s about to drop, been wanting them since I was a kid, now they are about to drop and I'm like "if I get em I get em, if I strike out then oh well." It's funny and kinda sad to get older and have the means to support your life long hobbies and to just lose interest in them. I just found other vices to spend my bread on.

I'm still fake interested tho, because I'm hearing rumblings of BC3s with Nike air and that's my favorite shoe ever and if that's true [emoji]128483[/emoji]I.NEED.ALL.THE.PAIRS.

My daughter is into sneakers, her excitement is dope to me, because she's a girly girl, but still likes sneaks. She'll hit me and tell me when something is dropping, it's a trip.
laugh.gif
Quit living my life fam, j/k. My daughter was just like this several years back, now, if it isn't in the store when she wants it she moves on. Also she's more into Converse now and she saves her money for fun with her friends and stuff for her car. But my son, he does all of his research and he has a plug at the local Footlocker, and I enjoy thoroughly seeing the excitement that he gets when he gets the shoe he wanted, he may not have paid for them, but to him he did all of the work, I kind get my fix from that excitement. Even though I am still tight about not getting the PG1s that I wanted, I was able to order some dope as Vans.

Haven't lost interest at all but definitely different now. I used to buy a lot more and chase a lot more but I no longer buy sneakers for nostalgia or hype. If I really love the look and feel of the shoe I'll get it if I don't have other financial obligations at the time but that's it.

I no longer buy a pair just cause I kinda like them and they're on sale. Like there is absolutely no merit in having a wide variety of sneakers for me anymore. I moved recently and have less closet space too so I got rid of a lot of excess and try not to get anything new unless I absolutely have to have them or they're super functional and I'll get a lot of wear out of them.

I've been able to pick up a couple of grains in the last few months so I'm kind chillin on that. I'm fairly done with Jordan's though and after this OG air max debacle I'm pretty much all set with most retro Nikes. That manufactured hype and that extra effort I gotta go through just isn't my thing anymore.

I'm definitely not done, but there was a 4 year stretch where I was out. When I went to college I didn't have the same express free life and just had other priorities to spend my money on. Missed out on some good stuff but w/e, they're dropping everything again nowadays anyway.

When I came back to Miami, started working with a steady decent job, I started copping again. The last year has been bad :smh: But I actually see myself slowing down pretty soon, I gotta save for other stuff now and I gotta start wearing some of these pairs I've stocked up on.

Too much of a hassle to spend MY money so I dont even bother anymore..

Collection down to about 25 and couldnt be happier.

I never really lost interest but sneakers aren't very practical for me anymore because I'm riding my motorcycle almost every day.

I have like 150 pairs and 145 of them are sitting in storage collecting dust.

I'm considering getting rid of a bunch of stuff but I don't feel like dealing w/ eBay, :lol:

I am about 20-30 strong. I buy if i can get stuff still but I am at the age where wearing certain kicks like Yeezys just look dumb on me (and I have a pair). I think the internet and SNKR app still makes it appealing enough to try. I will never wait in line nor buy consignment. Oddly what I did think I wouldn't have a problem with is wearing my old kicks. I had predominately SBs and most of those didn't stay fashionably "cool" in today's time. I want to sell them but they are so messed up that I would get nothing for them. I am about to get married soon and get a house, so the collection will be at a stand still and I'll just wear all my kicks till the day I die. Be that grandpa with 2003 dunk SBs.

a few years ago when i started getting most my grails i stopped caring about the rest

Last edited:
I completely agree; I was just puzzled why you quoted me. I wasn't the one who claimed sneaker culture is depressing; I said just the opposite.

It is wildly corny. Dudes sleeping outside for an opportunity to spend their money... that literally makes no sense. The characters at sneaker conventions, not sure why anyone would want to be associated with that. The idea of "you gotta do your homework". That line that goes around frequently on these forums is lame.

As far as the shoes go, the prices keep rising and the quality keeps dipping. People complain and then are still slaves to a brand.

The hoops you have to jump through to get a decent looking pair of shoes is pretty pathetic.

When you get a little older sometimes your taste changes and most definitely your priorities do. Some times I'm driving through LA at night and see dudes sleeping in the street on a Thursday for a Saturday release. It's depressing to see people invest their time that way for some cheap leather, rubber and glue. The fact that you disagree with that sentiment says a lot about you.

some of ya need a trusty shoe repair shop, ill definitely concur that after alwhile joints judt start dying on you if you're not on top of em.

u ain't gotta really worry bout it till ur kicks start seeing 15+ years old.

simple sole separation can be remedied with a quick glue re-do.

thankfully newer retros don't crumble like da 90's OGs.

repped,

It is so hard to get a straight answer online about how long shoes can last in a box VNDS before the glue gives out.

I downsized my collection to about 20 pairs and I'm ok with what I have left. I can't say that I lost interest in sneakers, I've just been more selective in the kicks that I want in my rotation.

Back
Top Bottom