When did "rape" become acceptable sneaker culture termanology?

jhawk826

Banned
Price gouging is an issue in the sneaker community whether it be from retailers or resellers. Everyone that's on the buying end hates it and understandably so. Who wants to pay double retail in most instances for a shoe that you want? For the last few years now, rape has been a term that's associated with said price gouging and when you look at the meaning of the word, it doesn't match up since 1) rape is a forced act and 2) its inappropriate considering how damaging the act is. Some of you may say I'm being sensitive and its just a word, but words are hurtful as well.

Last edited:
Like many other "slang" terms it's not appropriate on NT and hasn't been for a number of years.

Probably around the same time it became an acceptable and widely used verb in every day life. Which was a very long time ago.

Last edited:
laugh.gif

Dude people outside the "sneaker world" been using "rape" or some variation of ***-rape in reference to someone overcharging for something

I've heard trying to get over or beating you in the head, but never rape and its ONLY sneaker people that use the term.

the word's been used since i started on this board back in 2002

i have no problem with it since its the truth

I didn't think it was exclusive to talking about sneaker prices. It's part of the vernacular. People use it for any retail items that seem way overpriced.

the word's been used since i started on this board back in 2002

i have no problem with it since its the truth
Are you forced to buy it though?

Anyway, this discussion isn't going anywhere. I think the term is inappropriate given its meaning.

Not that I like the term, but people can use words to mean something else, all the time... Like bad as in good, or rape as in price gouging, or the n word as in friend, right?

I understand the dislike for it, but at least I know what the person using it means if they use it :\

Stop it. It's like when people say they're getting raped at the gas pump. Its synonymous with getting taken advantage of

Are you forced to buy it though?

Anyway, this discussion isn't going anywhere. I think the term is inappropriate given its meaning.

It aint rape cause you're forced to buy it

People refer to it as rape because it's viewed as trying to take advantage of someone or a situation

I heard adults say the government raped their paychecks back in the 90's

Wasn't aware it started with Jordan resales

Last edited:
A couple years back there was a HUGE long post by Meth making sure everyone knew it was no longer going to be tolerated on NT.

I don't use it ever and I think it's inappropriate but it has been around since reselling started

Like others said, it's been used for yearssss and is used when someone charges a high price for anything

I remember ninjahood used to OD with the word rape, I think he was one of the NTers that really got the word banned.. I could be mistaken tho this was a long time ago :lol:

Last edited:
I've been out of the "sneaker game" for years now but I remember when I was really big on collecting back around 2003-07, I heard that term used all the time. From my knowledge, its not anything new

Sneaker game is lame is just not the same
That's why I quit I don't miss it s bit
Now I just rap and sell dope from the trap

Who, What, Where, When, Why?

Yo, why is Jadakiss as hard as it gets?
Why is the industry designed to keep the artist in debt?
And why them dudes ain't ridin' if there part of your set?
And why they never get it poppin' but they party to death?

There are a lot of inappropriate culturally embraced terms out there. Don't blame the sneaker game.

Back
Top Bottom