Prodigy-Mobb-Deep-Tattoo-psd21618.png

*wipes away tear*

He still my favorite rapper though
pimp.gif
eek.gif
almost forgot. He def did. Remember that one year when he was top 5
pimp.gif
tired.gif

50 feel off, but hes still cool in my book. He built up his persona pretty nice.

Usher stop making those pop songs and go back to singing.

Common is my fav because he got me into rap, but dude "UMC" c'mon. this new album better be on some soulful $%! or im done with dude.

50 feel off, but hes still cool in my book. He built up his persona pretty nice.

Usher stop making those pop songs and go back to singing.

Common is my fav because he got me into rap, but dude "UMC" c'mon. this new album better be on some soulful $%! or im done with dude.

-all the glitter and hype fades away
-they lack growth
-redundancy
-they stray too far from what made them hot in the first place
-lack of output or over saturation,
-too focused on other things outside of their music (hawking products etc.)
-someone new comes along and takes their place
-they weren't that good to begin with

I think a number of things can contribute to someone falling off
especially in hip hop, a genre that was for the most part built on youthfulness and trend-setting
everything must remain fresh. Only a handful of artists are able to remain active and relevant
and are still able to garner interest from old and new fans alike.

-all the glitter and hype fades away
-they lack growth
-redundancy
-they stray too far from what made them hot in the first place
-lack of output or over saturation,
-too focused on other things outside of their music (hawking products etc.)
-someone new comes along and takes their place
-they weren't that good to begin with

I think a number of things can contribute to someone falling off
especially in hip hop, a genre that was for the most part built on youthfulness and trend-setting
everything must remain fresh. Only a handful of artists are able to remain active and relevant
and are still able to garner interest from old and new fans alike.

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

the careers of Nelly and 50 Cent are perfect example

one took to long of a break the other got lost in the change of "rap" music

This post right here....

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

the careers of Nelly and 50 Cent are perfect example

one took to long of a break the other got lost in the change of "rap" music

This post right here....

The definiton of "selling out" can be very fragile though. To me, sometimes an artist has to go away from his or her style in order to stay relevant. So many fans in music hop on whatever is hot or the new trend, you can't blame an artist to switch it up a little. To me, selling out is going against something you said you wouldn't do. For example, an artist who trashes mainstream their whole career then goes mainstream. The music industry is a business, so you can't blame artists for trying to stay relevant.

Fell off is more simple... Just when an artist doesn't have "it" anymore. This depends on how fans see it though. You can never compare mainstream success or sales with "falling off" If the skills are still there, they haven't fallen off. If the skill & talent seems lost, it's time to give them the "fell off" title.

The definiton of "selling out" can be very fragile though. To me, sometimes an artist has to go away from his or her style in order to stay relevant. So many fans in music hop on whatever is hot or the new trend, you can't blame an artist to switch it up a little. To me, selling out is going against something you said you wouldn't do. For example, an artist who trashes mainstream their whole career then goes mainstream. The music industry is a business, so you can't blame artists for trying to stay relevant.

Fell off is more simple... Just when an artist doesn't have "it" anymore. This depends on how fans see it though. You can never compare mainstream success or sales with "falling off" If the skills are still there, they haven't fallen off. If the skill & talent seems lost, it's time to give them the "fell off" title.

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Sell out - When the artist diverges from their original formula in an attempt achieve higher mainstream success. It's one thing to experiment/evolve but do it AFTER a success, NOT after you brick..

Fall off - 1) When the music loses the impact it once had OR 2) When they fall from the pedestal for whatever reason be it musically related or image shattering.
I think artists' make the most impact in their first album and begin to fall off a little after each subsequent album released.  The degree to the fall off varies by artist though as Eminem still continues to have an impact now even while 50 Cent has come and gone for the most part.  Usually to prevent a steep fall off they'll try sell out to remain relevant.

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Sell out - When the artist diverges from their original formula in an attempt achieve higher mainstream success. It's one thing to experiment/evolve but do it AFTER a success, NOT after you brick..

Fall off - 1) When the music loses the impact it once had OR 2) When they fall from the pedestal for whatever reason be it musically related or image shattering.
I think artists' make the most impact in their first album and begin to fall off a little after each subsequent album released.  The degree to the fall off varies by artist though as Eminem still continues to have an impact now even while 50 Cent has come and gone for the most part.  Usually to prevent a steep fall off they'll try sell out to remain relevant.

Back
Top Bottom