Where My NT Accountants At? Vol. CPA

Originally Posted by JCASH DA KID

Originally Posted by cguy610

I use Gleim, only cause my job didn't reimburse study materials at first. It's inexpensive but if you have the reimbursement from your job, I've heard only heard good things about Becker.

FAR is insane. Good luck trying to pass FAR and any other part in the same window. I passed AUD and BEC already, failed FAR with a 74, just had a retake and will find out the result next week.

I took AUD and BEC in the same window. I studied for AUD and then studied BEC. When I was ready for both parts, I scheduled the exams. That way it left me with nearly the full 18 months to pass the last two parts.

If I find out I failed FAR again, I might just quit though cause I been studying for it for like 8 months straight.

Your thread reminded me to get back to studying for REG, I have that scheduled for 11/31.

I just want to get i done before the IFRS 
frown.gif
. Good job you think I should study for AUD and BEC for November?  You think two months is enough and how many hours do you think is a decent amount. I'm wokring partime 3 grad classes and training MMA lol hopefully I can squeeze in some CPA

2 months to prepare?  Man, you can't "squeeze" in some CPA
laugh.gif
  The pass rate is like 40% and stays there.  They make sure only 40% pass each part no matter what. 

My suggestion is to maximize the free time that you have now because once you pass the first part, the 18 month clock starts.  Regardless of what parts you decide to take or how many.  Also, take the part that you think will be the hardest for you first. 

so i'm looking into pursuing a macc program (i'm a senior now, major is marketing) because i am unsure i will be able to secure any good job following graduation. any advice/heedings you guys wanna give me? or what i should really think about before going on this path?

so i'm looking into pursuing a macc program (i'm a senior now, major is marketing) because i am unsure i will be able to secure any good job following graduation. any advice/heedings you guys wanna give me? or what i should really think about before going on this path?

I use Gleim, only cause my job didn't reimburse study materials at first. It's inexpensive but if you have the reimbursement from your job, I've heard only heard good things about Becker.

FAR is insane. Good luck trying to pass FAR and any other part in the same window. I passed AUD and BEC already, failed FAR with a 74, just had a retake and will find out the result next week.

I took AUD and BEC in the same window. I studied for AUD and then studied BEC. When I was ready for both parts, I scheduled the exams. That way it left me with nearly the full 18 months to pass the last two parts.

If I find out I failed FAR again, I might just quit though cause I been studying for it for like 8 months straight.

Your thread reminded me to get back to studying for REG, I have that scheduled for 11/31.

frown.gif
. Good job you think I should study for AUD and BEC for November?  You think two months is enough and how many hours do you think is a decent amount. I'm wokring partime 3 grad classes and training MMA lol hopefully I can squeeze in some CPA

laugh.gif
  The pass rate is like 40% and stays there.  They make sure only 40% pass each part no matter what. 

My suggestion is to maximize the free time that you have now because once you pass the first part, the 18 month clock starts.  Regardless of what parts you decide to take or how many.  Also, take the part that you think will be the hardest for you first. 
Haha I know I wanted to study all summer but I had to wait til I get my offer letter from work and they would pay for my becker. I heard BEC isn't that bad to prepare for.

frown.gif

laugh.gif

Haha I know I wanted to study all summer but I had to wait til I get my offer letter from work and they would pay for my becker. I heard BEC isn't that bad to prepare for.

Originally Posted by NolanDW

Public accounting is a tough grind. Get the CPA done early as possible. School wise just repetition will get you better 

Originally Posted by NolanDW

Public accounting is a tough grind. Get the CPA done early as possible. School wise just repetition will get you better 

No lazyj10 in here yet?

Damn, that dude must have fell off the face of the planet after getting that new job.

No lazyj10 in here yet?

Damn, that dude must have fell off the face of the planet after getting that new job.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

No lazyj10 in here yet?

You don't even text me to golf anymore...I'm offended.
Uh where do I start?

Quick background - I'm in CA and graduated in 2005 with Finance and Accounting concentrations from a CSU (California State University).  I had my original job lined up prior to graduation.  National firm various locations and overly specialized in something that sounds interesting for all about 1 year.

I passed all 4 sections of the CPA exam and the ethics course (in CA you can do it whenever, so that's a plus, ie - before you finish the exam).  I was license officially last December. 

After bonuses came out this year, I left my old firm.  Of course I made sure I got paid.

That being said, I was interviewing at another firm and studying for the LSAT.  I want to pursue a JD but now I'm contemplating a MBA, which I'll cover in a bit.  Whomever gave the advice to get the CPA exam done ASAP is absolutely correct.  I'm glad I'm done and don't have to worry about the constant changes.  Though the changes on the test and the dynamic atmosphere of licensing as a whole for our profession is a microcosm of public accounting.

I cannot imagine juggling studying while working for a Big 4. Big 4 never interested me, so I never looked into it.  I have met plenty of defector's and they generally have opinion of the Big 4's that I carried without working there.  That seems well enough for me.  Basically the only way I'd ever entertain the idea of a Big 4 would be for contacts and working on higher profile engagements for Fortune 500's or the like.  However, in reality, the odds you're on that engagement team aren't exactly in your favor.  Further, fact is, if you're with a reputable national firm who specializes in something you can make those contacts as well.

Plus I'm constantly working on my skill set and never satisfied (hence looking into a JD or MBA), so to have to "pick 1" (audit or tax) right off the bat at a big 4 turned me off.  Anyway enough about that.

I was plenty happy to leave my old firm, the bureaucracy and office politics there were enough to drive me away.  Compensation was fine, hardly wonderful unless you were a Partner.  Which ultimately I didn't want to be there.  Fact is they'd continually change their compensation model and fee structure to line their own pockets. I have no problem with this, I do have a problem with them hiding it and not being open to explaining it.  Just be blunt and forthcoming and your workers respect you a hell of a lot more.

Now I'm at a top 25 firm as ranked by Inside Public Accounting (which their main criteria is revenue I believe) and highly ranked elsewhere.  This firm, though I won't specifically state for obvious reasons, wouldn't be hard to figure out.  I think I said it once anyway.  New firm specializes in Hedge Funds and we're probably top 10 and right behind the big 4 in that industry.

I've already met a ton of great people, co-workers are good and industry contacts are also very good.  I could go on and on, but I won't because this is already pretty long...

So in conclusion in regards to the exam and public accounting I leave you this:

1) Get the exam done ASAP and get the license.  It's beyond important for this industry and you're basically going to make it harder on yourself the longer you put it off.  Lots of firms who were lax on the requirements are now changing their promotion and compensation structure.  Some firm's won't allow you to be a manager without it and some even as early as supervising senior.  

2) Follow what you want to do. Period.  Do you have any idea what that is? Possibly not, but look for opportunities and go after things that sound interesting.  I found the listing for the firm I'm at right now randomly after a absolute %*!#@* day at my old firm.  I even went home that night and did my resume and submitted it.  From that point, the rest is history.

3) Pay is pay and likely competitive across the board for firm's big and small in similar locations.  Let me put it this way, I worked in SF for almost 5 years and it was a pain in the *#% because I lived in the East Bay.  So I was reliant on BART except for busy season where'd I'd drive because my hours were essentially 6am to 7pm.  I incurred a bit more cost, but it was comparable and that extra 30 mins of time to myself was worth it alone.  Not to mention not having to ride BART.  When things finally became unbearable at the old firm, I was more than willing to take a pay cut.  I did, in fact.  In year 1 it won't be as much, it'll actually be pretty even because I live 10 minutes away now.  I would be up for and would have made manager at the old firm, but frankly I didn't want it and it would be painful to survive another busy season there.  So that's where I'll lose a bigger chunk of compensation.  Though I'm willing to bust my *#% to make manager at the new place and even if I don't...the most important thing is...

4) Be happy. Period. Follow whatever in the industry that makes you happy, or even outside of it.  Take control of what you do and don't make excuses.  Remember, as part of this generation, we're hardly the people who will be like our parents and try and work in 1 place for 20 years.

Questions? Feel free..

Originally Posted by Bastitch

No lazyj10 in here yet?

You don't even text me to golf anymore...I'm offended.
Uh where do I start?

Quick background - I'm in CA and graduated in 2005 with Finance and Accounting concentrations from a CSU (California State University).  I had my original job lined up prior to graduation.  National firm various locations and overly specialized in something that sounds interesting for all about 1 year.

I passed all 4 sections of the CPA exam and the ethics course (in CA you can do it whenever, so that's a plus, ie - before you finish the exam).  I was license officially last December. 

After bonuses came out this year, I left my old firm.  Of course I made sure I got paid.

That being said, I was interviewing at another firm and studying for the LSAT.  I want to pursue a JD but now I'm contemplating a MBA, which I'll cover in a bit.  Whomever gave the advice to get the CPA exam done ASAP is absolutely correct.  I'm glad I'm done and don't have to worry about the constant changes.  Though the changes on the test and the dynamic atmosphere of licensing as a whole for our profession is a microcosm of public accounting.

I cannot imagine juggling studying while working for a Big 4. Big 4 never interested me, so I never looked into it.  I have met plenty of defector's and they generally have opinion of the Big 4's that I carried without working there.  That seems well enough for me.  Basically the only way I'd ever entertain the idea of a Big 4 would be for contacts and working on higher profile engagements for Fortune 500's or the like.  However, in reality, the odds you're on that engagement team aren't exactly in your favor.  Further, fact is, if you're with a reputable national firm who specializes in something you can make those contacts as well.

Plus I'm constantly working on my skill set and never satisfied (hence looking into a JD or MBA), so to have to "pick 1" (audit or tax) right off the bat at a big 4 turned me off.  Anyway enough about that.

I was plenty happy to leave my old firm, the bureaucracy and office politics there were enough to drive me away.  Compensation was fine, hardly wonderful unless you were a Partner.  Which ultimately I didn't want to be there.  Fact is they'd continually change their compensation model and fee structure to line their own pockets. I have no problem with this, I do have a problem with them hiding it and not being open to explaining it.  Just be blunt and forthcoming and your workers respect you a hell of a lot more.

Now I'm at a top 25 firm as ranked by Inside Public Accounting (which their main criteria is revenue I believe) and highly ranked elsewhere.  This firm, though I won't specifically state for obvious reasons, wouldn't be hard to figure out.  I think I said it once anyway.  New firm specializes in Hedge Funds and we're probably top 10 and right behind the big 4 in that industry.

I've already met a ton of great people, co-workers are good and industry contacts are also very good.  I could go on and on, but I won't because this is already pretty long...

So in conclusion in regards to the exam and public accounting I leave you this:

1) Get the exam done ASAP and get the license.  It's beyond important for this industry and you're basically going to make it harder on yourself the longer you put it off.  Lots of firms who were lax on the requirements are now changing their promotion and compensation structure.  Some firm's won't allow you to be a manager without it and some even as early as supervising senior.  

2) Follow what you want to do. Period.  Do you have any idea what that is? Possibly not, but look for opportunities and go after things that sound interesting.  I found the listing for the firm I'm at right now randomly after a absolute %*!#@* day at my old firm.  I even went home that night and did my resume and submitted it.  From that point, the rest is history.

3) Pay is pay and likely competitive across the board for firm's big and small in similar locations.  Let me put it this way, I worked in SF for almost 5 years and it was a pain in the *#% because I lived in the East Bay.  So I was reliant on BART except for busy season where'd I'd drive because my hours were essentially 6am to 7pm.  I incurred a bit more cost, but it was comparable and that extra 30 mins of time to myself was worth it alone.  Not to mention not having to ride BART.  When things finally became unbearable at the old firm, I was more than willing to take a pay cut.  I did, in fact.  In year 1 it won't be as much, it'll actually be pretty even because I live 10 minutes away now.  I would be up for and would have made manager at the old firm, but frankly I didn't want it and it would be painful to survive another busy season there.  So that's where I'll lose a bigger chunk of compensation.  Though I'm willing to bust my *#% to make manager at the new place and even if I don't...the most important thing is...

4) Be happy. Period. Follow whatever in the industry that makes you happy, or even outside of it.  Take control of what you do and don't make excuses.  Remember, as part of this generation, we're hardly the people who will be like our parents and try and work in 1 place for 20 years.

Questions? Feel free..

Nice back story. I was thinking about JD/MBA down the line I want to eventually go either to a venture capitalist firm or become an entrepreneur myself. What order have you taken the exam? Did your NTS take 8 weeks? What did you use to study Becker,Roger,Gliem?

Nice back story. I was thinking about JD/MBA down the line I want to eventually go either to a venture capitalist firm or become an entrepreneur myself. What order have you taken the exam? Did your NTS take 8 weeks? What did you use to study Becker,Roger,Gliem?

I used Rogers CPA originally and wouldn't that mistake again. Becker was the truth. Passed easily with Becker.

I know a few VC's, interesting industry. My office doesn't deal with them, but some of our other's do. We're looking to expand that area. In fact, I'm trying to recruit one firm over to us so we can handle their audit and tax work.

Super Angel investing and Angel investing seem to be taking off a bit more. Less capital up front, realized gains (or losses) faster than the average 9 years typically seen in VC's. Michigan as a whole is trying to really wow VC firms into coming there, too.

My NTS and everything didn't take anywhere near as long as they say it can take. Even after passing, the licensing was pretty fast too.

I think the order I did was..BEC AUD REG FAR.

I took BEC a few times because I probably broke the state record for 74's. In fact, the last 74 caused me to lose Audit, so I had to take that one again.

Unfortunately for me, my old firm had me working on understaff engagements so when I should have been studying or had the energy to, it was spent on a dumb FIN 46R engagement that took entirely too long. So those 74's are mostly on me, but f the exam for even giving out that score.

Down the road, I figured a JD.CPA wouldn't hurt me..and the law is something I've always had an interest in. I have no kids yet, so the time is about right.

I used Rogers CPA originally and wouldn't that mistake again. Becker was the truth. Passed easily with Becker.

I know a few VC's, interesting industry. My office doesn't deal with them, but some of our other's do. We're looking to expand that area. In fact, I'm trying to recruit one firm over to us so we can handle their audit and tax work.

Super Angel investing and Angel investing seem to be taking off a bit more. Less capital up front, realized gains (or losses) faster than the average 9 years typically seen in VC's. Michigan as a whole is trying to really wow VC firms into coming there, too.

My NTS and everything didn't take anywhere near as long as they say it can take. Even after passing, the licensing was pretty fast too.

I think the order I did was..BEC AUD REG FAR.

I took BEC a few times because I probably broke the state record for 74's. In fact, the last 74 caused me to lose Audit, so I had to take that one again.

Unfortunately for me, my old firm had me working on understaff engagements so when I should have been studying or had the energy to, it was spent on a dumb FIN 46R engagement that took entirely too long. So those 74's are mostly on me, but f the exam for even giving out that score.

Down the road, I figured a JD.CPA wouldn't hurt me..and the law is something I've always had an interest in. I have no kids yet, so the time is about right.

Good advice. I'm kinda screwed with these test changes caught right in the middle. I make take BEC this year if I can get the NTS in time. I'm applying next week waiting for a summer grade to post on my transcript. How is the LSAT prep coming along. So what was your hardest section BEC or FAR?

Good advice. I'm kinda screwed with these test changes caught right in the middle. I make take BEC this year if I can get the NTS in time. I'm applying next week waiting for a summer grade to post on my transcript. How is the LSAT prep coming along. So what was your hardest section BEC or FAR?

I passed FAR on my first shot, I took it January as busy season was starting..don't know how I made it. My routine was something like, go to work for 60 hours, come home, eat, spend some time with wifey and then read till I pass out. Somehow it worked.

I took REG and FAR within 30 days of each other in 1 window. It's hard, but not impossible. BEC was a pain for me because I suck at Cost Accounting and have virtually no interest in it. It's very hard for me to really learn things I don't have any care about or even see as something I'll need eventually. Everything else on the exam there's some underlying need for me, so it's not as bad.

LSAT is incredibly different, the work isn't hard per se, it's just an accuracy test (just, right) with little to no room for error. I think the closet I ever got to running out of time for a CPA exam was like 15 minutes to spare. No such luck with the LSAT. Every minute counts, and I'm not the fastest reader ever to graze the earth.

I wasn't happy with my score, another reason I was happy to leave my firm. Nothing like them working me to death while I'm trying to study for it. As I found out, I think they said it was the 2nd hardest LSAT in recent time (June 2010)? It felt like it. I'm contemplating taking it for October and then just going through the admittance process. I'm not going to Stanford or anything, I love my job enough where I'm willing to do a part time night program so I can maintain my position in my current firm. That rules out a lot of schools I originally was interested in, but I'm doing this for myself....

Oh and my employer may actually foot the bill.....which to me just goes to show you how good of a place this firm is to work for.

I passed FAR on my first shot, I took it January as busy season was starting..don't know how I made it. My routine was something like, go to work for 60 hours, come home, eat, spend some time with wifey and then read till I pass out. Somehow it worked.

I took REG and FAR within 30 days of each other in 1 window. It's hard, but not impossible. BEC was a pain for me because I suck at Cost Accounting and have virtually no interest in it. It's very hard for me to really learn things I don't have any care about or even see as something I'll need eventually. Everything else on the exam there's some underlying need for me, so it's not as bad.

LSAT is incredibly different, the work isn't hard per se, it's just an accuracy test (just, right) with little to no room for error. I think the closet I ever got to running out of time for a CPA exam was like 15 minutes to spare. No such luck with the LSAT. Every minute counts, and I'm not the fastest reader ever to graze the earth.

I wasn't happy with my score, another reason I was happy to leave my firm. Nothing like them working me to death while I'm trying to study for it. As I found out, I think they said it was the 2nd hardest LSAT in recent time (June 2010)? It felt like it. I'm contemplating taking it for October and then just going through the admittance process. I'm not going to Stanford or anything, I love my job enough where I'm willing to do a part time night program so I can maintain my position in my current firm. That rules out a lot of schools I originally was interested in, but I'm doing this for myself....

Oh and my employer may actually foot the bill.....which to me just goes to show you how good of a place this firm is to work for.

Back
Top Bottom