Where My NT Accountants At? Vol. CPA

I am actually thinking of taking it and giving it a shot...maybe my professor overloaded us for the better and we learned more than the other colleges did......Now idk if I should try to take FAR or BEC before they change things starting next year....How much time do you think is reasonable to study for those sections? If I just work like 30 hours a week for a few months and study during my free time do you think I can do at least 1? Unline you LazyJ I enjoyed Cost Accounting the most out of all the accounting classes required so I might try to take BEC

I am actually thinking of taking it and giving it a shot...maybe my professor overloaded us for the better and we learned more than the other colleges did......Now idk if I should try to take FAR or BEC before they change things starting next year....How much time do you think is reasonable to study for those sections? If I just work like 30 hours a week for a few months and study during my free time do you think I can do at least 1? Unline you LazyJ I enjoyed Cost Accounting the most out of all the accounting classes required so I might try to take BEC

For those on NT that are looking into accounting and are actually good in mathematics, go be an actuary.
Actuarial science seems overlooked but for those who can hack the exams it seems more worthwhile than accounting.

For those on NT that are looking into accounting and are actually good in mathematics, go be an actuary.
Actuarial science seems overlooked but for those who can hack the exams it seems more worthwhile than accounting.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

What are the pre-reqs to take those exams? Jrp44 I think I might take BEC this year too get it out the way start the 18month window hopefully so I can get some fire under my butt to finish quick. Also I hear from alot of people that it takes the least amount of studying. I have a coworker who said he only studied for 2 weeks. I only have a month to study so I think BEC might be my best bet

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

What are the pre-reqs to take those exams? Jrp44 I think I might take BEC this year too get it out the way start the 18month window hopefully so I can get some fire under my butt to finish quick. Also I hear from alot of people that it takes the least amount of studying. I have a coworker who said he only studied for 2 weeks. I only have a month to study so I think BEC might be my best bet

Hello NT, 

How did you guys choose accounting?

CPA is helluva a title. LazyJ10, I commend you on all your study and all your hard work. CPA is not a joke. But from what I read, you don't want to work in accounting. You're not about that life. Your studying for LSATs, which is in my opinion, the easiest way out of the accountant's life. 

Not everyone wants to get into banking, but thats what I want to do. I've been in corporate america and back office sucks. You don't even get the same respect from secretaries. I've been dying the last 5 months studying CFA. I'm a finance student who looked at accounting for 1 second. Everyone is like, Job market this, job market that. But at the end of the day, if you are soft, you will get soft results. I'm taking the necessary accounting classes in college so I can be placed higher than Accountants every will. Big 4 recruits at my University, but they really nothing to offer me but a 401k. 
indifferent.gif
. They're already telling me how I can advance in the company and how much benefits they have. I felt like I was being sold a product. Whoever on this forum is becoming an accountant just to get into finance is a dummie. Plain and simple. You are taking the 10 year route sir. 

Lets do it, lets do it big: VC, PE, Hedge Funds and IB. "ALWAYS BE CLOSING." 

Hello NT, 

How did you guys choose accounting?

CPA is helluva a title. LazyJ10, I commend you on all your study and all your hard work. CPA is not a joke. But from what I read, you don't want to work in accounting. You're not about that life. Your studying for LSATs, which is in my opinion, the easiest way out of the accountant's life. 

Not everyone wants to get into banking, but thats what I want to do. I've been in corporate america and back office sucks. You don't even get the same respect from secretaries. I've been dying the last 5 months studying CFA. I'm a finance student who looked at accounting for 1 second. Everyone is like, Job market this, job market that. But at the end of the day, if you are soft, you will get soft results. I'm taking the necessary accounting classes in college so I can be placed higher than Accountants every will. Big 4 recruits at my University, but they really nothing to offer me but a 401k. 
indifferent.gif
. They're already telling me how I can advance in the company and how much benefits they have. I felt like I was being sold a product. Whoever on this forum is becoming an accountant just to get into finance is a dummie. Plain and simple. You are taking the 10 year route sir. 

Lets do it, lets do it big: VC, PE, Hedge Funds and IB. "ALWAYS BE CLOSING." 

How can I market myself out to VC and PE from a Big 4. I think I'll have to get into a top 20 MBA program.

How can I market myself out to VC and PE from a Big 4. I think I'll have to get into a top 20 MBA program.

Sorry have to keep this brief, just got back from work and need to finish up with Audit Ch.4.

I'm an audit associate (staff) with KPMG Lebanon. I'm using the Becker materials and from what I gather from my co-workers it's a good approximation of what to expect on the actual exam. The point where I hear the most complaints is with the REG simulations where material barely covered is tested in-depth.

I'll be going for all 4 parts this November since it's quite costly and hectic to fly back and forth to the States to take the exams.  So don't stress too much about taking 2 parts. We get about 40% of our employees who pass all 4 parts within the same window and a good amount of the rest get 2-3 parts.

Still waiting on my NTS which  I sent over 5 weeks ago. Just following it up through the CPAE OASIS on the NASBA website.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sorry have to keep this brief, just got back from work and need to finish up with Audit Ch.4.

I'm an audit associate (staff) with KPMG Lebanon. I'm using the Becker materials and from what I gather from my co-workers it's a good approximation of what to expect on the actual exam. The point where I hear the most complaints is with the REG simulations where material barely covered is tested in-depth.

I'll be going for all 4 parts this November since it's quite costly and hectic to fly back and forth to the States to take the exams.  So don't stress too much about taking 2 parts. We get about 40% of our employees who pass all 4 parts within the same window and a good amount of the rest get 2-3 parts.

Still waiting on my NTS which  I sent over 5 weeks ago. Just following it up through the CPAE OASIS on the NASBA website.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm on my phone so I'll respond late tonite....

The odds you get into private equity or venture capitalist out of undergrad or anointing shy of a top 5 MBA program are slim.

Work yourself into the networks of these people. Get your skill set down to market yourself when the time comes. If you're only selling school work, you're a dime a dozen.

Start small and work your way up, heck even being an administrator these funds and hedge funds use is an in.

I recently went to a networking event and met a managing partner of a buyout fund. Small entity. The managing partner had a background at Ernst and Young. The other one from Wharton. Even their analyst is from Wharton.

Point is, I now know the guy and a former commodities trader who works in the area so I'll be maintaining contact with them. Looking for oppurtuntites for my firm or myself on a personal level.

I'm on my phone so I'll respond late tonite....

The odds you get into private equity or venture capitalist out of undergrad or anointing shy of a top 5 MBA program are slim.

Work yourself into the networks of these people. Get your skill set down to market yourself when the time comes. If you're only selling school work, you're a dime a dozen.

Start small and work your way up, heck even being an administrator these funds and hedge funds use is an in.

I recently went to a networking event and met a managing partner of a buyout fund. Small entity. The managing partner had a background at Ernst and Young. The other one from Wharton. Even their analyst is from Wharton.

Point is, I now know the guy and a former commodities trader who works in the area so I'll be maintaining contact with them. Looking for oppurtuntites for my firm or myself on a personal level.

I envy all of you that attained a CPA, that was the plan when i started...still is the goal got sidetracked, graduated in May of 09, OP im in NY as well care to tell how the exam is changing again? I graduated before the 150 requirement went into effect so im under the believe that i can still sit for the exam without a masters please correct me if im wrong.

I envy all of you that attained a CPA, that was the plan when i started...still is the goal got sidetracked, graduated in May of 09, OP im in NY as well care to tell how the exam is changing again? I graduated before the 150 requirement went into effect so im under the believe that i can still sit for the exam without a masters please correct me if im wrong.

Also forgot to mention...definately sign up for and make use of organizations like the AICPA and other more local things like CalCPA. Endless networking and resources available.

Also forgot to mention...definately sign up for and make use of organizations like the AICPA and other more local things like CalCPA. Endless networking and resources available.

Crumbs- I don't know about the rules about that best to double check with Nasba or Becker. Pretty much IFRS codifications is going be added to FAR. BEC is going have simulations and writing added to it. FAR, AUD, and Reg are losing their writing and adding more simulations. Regs isn't changing that much. Aud going have international auditing pratices added to it.

Wagner- It's not that I'm scared of taking two in the same window it just I haven't started studying and I don't get to order Becker till next week.

Lazy- I really want to go to entrepreneurial route but might go to get my MBA to hopefully open doors to get to VC and PE. I know damn well I won't get there straight from college. I was planning on working at my Big 4 firm for a few years try to make manager or close to it. Hopefully attempt to switch to advisory (Currently in Tax) or do a few rotations in our up and coming VC advisement practice and go from there.

Crumbs- I don't know about the rules about that best to double check with Nasba or Becker. Pretty much IFRS codifications is going be added to FAR. BEC is going have simulations and writing added to it. FAR, AUD, and Reg are losing their writing and adding more simulations. Regs isn't changing that much. Aud going have international auditing pratices added to it.

Wagner- It's not that I'm scared of taking two in the same window it just I haven't started studying and I don't get to order Becker till next week.

Lazy- I really want to go to entrepreneurial route but might go to get my MBA to hopefully open doors to get to VC and PE. I know damn well I won't get there straight from college. I was planning on working at my Big 4 firm for a few years try to make manager or close to it. Hopefully attempt to switch to advisory (Currently in Tax) or do a few rotations in our up and coming VC advisement practice and go from there.

Crumbs- we exactly the same.. Graduated from St. John's (Queens) in May '09
i still ain't pass the Exam yet.. but regardless of change we're Grandfathered in.. so don't worry

But im dying for some experience in the mean time while im tryin' 2 pass all 4 parts...
Ya'll in some good spots help a Brother out..

Back
Top Bottom