Where My NT Accountants At? Vol. CPA

Crumbs- we exactly the same.. Graduated from St. John's (Queens) in May '09
i still ain't pass the Exam yet.. but regardless of change we're Grandfathered in.. so don't worry

But im dying for some experience in the mean time while im tryin' 2 pass all 4 parts...
Ya'll in some good spots help a Brother out..

yo I been working at an accounting firm for 3 months and I have no clue how some people can put themselves thru the hassle of it. It's good money and billable hours are crazy.

yo I been working at an accounting firm for 3 months and I have no clue how some people can put themselves thru the hassle of it. It's good money and billable hours are crazy.

My old firm was Nazi like when it came to billable and overall realization. New firm realizes there's things you need to do that are administrative in nature and shouldn't be billed out. Also the realization target is actually reasonable.

My old firm was Nazi like when it came to billable and overall realization. New firm realizes there's things you need to do that are administrative in nature and shouldn't be billed out. Also the realization target is actually reasonable.

Originally Posted by 2muchJayStyle

i still ain't pass the Exam yet.. but regardless of change we're Grandfathered in.. so don't worry

But im dying for some experience in the mean time while im tryin' 2 pass all 4 parts...

I assumed we would be grandfathered in, the changes to the test seem substaintial.
You've taken the exam and failed or you have yet to sit for it? I have yet to sit.

Originally Posted by 2muchJayStyle

I assumed we would be grandfathered in, the changes to the test seem substaintial.
You've taken the exam and failed or you have yet to sit for it? I have yet to sit.

LazyJ killed it.
pimp.gif

Been a CPA for the last 4 years.  I need 28 more CPE hours by next month to renew my license which is
tired.gif
.  I am with a small public firm and also have my self proprietor tax service that I do on the side.  I used CPA Excel, Becker, Micro Mash, and also Mark Dauberman's CPA review.   A ton of recruiters/clients have offered me CFO positions, and various other jobs but truthfully I like Public accounting so I am staying put.  Something about interacting with everyday small business folks... know what I mean? Larger firms have solicited me but I am straight with the drama and office politics that I hear on a daily basis from former colleagues.  I like my free time and those larger firms require you to work crazy hours like 8am-10pm during tax season which I do not want in my life. 

Definitely take the exam as you soon as you can.  After graduating I partied, passed 2 parts, partied, traveled, partied some more, then finally passed the last parts when the credits were about to expire. 
laugh.gif
  That was a lot of pressure to pass but you just gotta step up when it matters. Remember exam is  pure memorization because a majority of the crap you learn never gets applied.

Been a CPA for the last 4 years.  I need 28 more CPE hours by next month to renew my license which is
tired.gif
.  I am with a small public firm and also have my self proprietor tax service that I do on the side.  I used CPA Excel, Becker, Micro Mash, and also Mark Dauberman's CPA review.   A ton of recruiters/clients have offered me CFO positions, and various other jobs but truthfully I like Public accounting so I am staying put.  Something about interacting with everyday small business folks... know what I mean? Larger firms have solicited me but I am straight with the drama and office politics that I hear on a daily basis from former colleagues.  I like my free time and those larger firms require you to work crazy hours like 8am-10pm during tax season which I do not want in my life. 

Definitely take the exam as you soon as you can.  After graduating I partied, passed 2 parts, partied, traveled, partied some more, then finally passed the last parts when the credits were about to expire. 
laugh.gif
  That was a lot of pressure to pass but you just gotta step up when it matters. Remember exam is  pure memorization because a majority of the crap you learn never gets applied.

i took Becker Course..
but found the CD way more helpful than the Live Instructors.

I failed BEC & FARE
waiting for my scores for AUD & REG
then imma start all over...

To the ppl already established.. should i focus solely on the Exam or should i try to build experience at the same time?

i took Becker Course..
but found the CD way more helpful than the Live Instructors.

I failed BEC & FARE
waiting for my scores for AUD & REG
then imma start all over...

To the ppl already established.. should i focus solely on the Exam or should i try to build experience at the same time?

If you can focus on the exam, do that. Getting it done and being past it is extremely more useful to you early in your career. For reference, before the old firm changed their rules, there were managers without it. These people also had families, mortgages and a $!%! ton more work than others.

They were grandfathered in meaning they'd keep manager title and compensation; but cannot move up further without it. Most still haven't finished.

I also agree, the Becker cd's were much much better.

If you can focus on the exam, do that. Getting it done and being past it is extremely more useful to you early in your career. For reference, before the old firm changed their rules, there were managers without it. These people also had families, mortgages and a $!%! ton more work than others.

They were grandfathered in meaning they'd keep manager title and compensation; but cannot move up further without it. Most still haven't finished.

I also agree, the Becker cd's were much much better.

i used becker. can't say if it was better or not than bisk, but coworkers that tried both seem to prefer becker.

as far as multiple tests in the same window...it's tough because they usually black out the last month each window (not sure if they still do). but it's doable, you just need to really be organized and stick to a schedule. that said, i never tried do it. i took an exam each quarter in 2008 and knocked em out that way.

and lastly, listen to lazyj...he knows what's up. i hate big 4 life right now...but for different reasons
laugh.gif

i used becker. can't say if it was better or not than bisk, but coworkers that tried both seem to prefer becker.

as far as multiple tests in the same window...it's tough because they usually black out the last month each window (not sure if they still do). but it's doable, you just need to really be organized and stick to a schedule. that said, i never tried do it. i took an exam each quarter in 2008 and knocked em out that way.

and lastly, listen to lazyj...he knows what's up. i hate big 4 life right now...but for different reasons
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom