Which Air Jordan models' midsoles don't break down over time?

From my experience it has been those models with air bubbles that have the midsole break down as they age. The one's that held up relatively well are Jordan 13, 2, 10, 11, 12, 1

based on this, going forward i don't plan to buy any more Jordans with air bubbles, am i right?

1s, 11s and every sig model after that.

Although they change the way they make polyeurathene midsoles now so jordan 3-10 retros dont crumble over time anymore.

^^^
They did switched from a foam base to a polyurethane. But they still crumble, just not as quickly.

All sneakers deteriorate overtime exposed air unit or not. 2-9 will likely get stress marks, then begin to separate/crumble in those areas. 10-16 could crumble depending how they’re stored, but will likely have the full length zoom unit go flat. 17/18 will straight up crack into pieces after the plastic TPU becomes sticky.

Jordans 2-6,8-9 use some form of PU and will crumble sooner or later.

1s use a solid rubber midsole, they're good.

Retro 7s and OG 10 and up use phylon just like current models, the midsole will be fine, but the air units and glue can still breakdown.

My 04 2s held up strong until late last yr the sides started to fall apart ...built ford tough , also the 15s (the og’s ) was built ford tough

Tell that to my OG Cardinals that have more crumbs than a toddler eating a cookie.
OG 7s are different than any of the retro 7s. The exposed part of the midsole is phylon, but internals still used PU and will crumble.

I've personally seen 2,3,4,5,6 And 7s crumble. Everything after 7 is good to go
s-l1600.jpg

And my personal IXs from 2002 :frown:

38703553-1F82-4E8E-BD76-7F75BEAD436D.jpeg

Honestly I didnt even know some og's were semi wearable still.

I might have to track down some 12's or 13's, Id like having some kicks from the original run. I think that would up the nastalgia. Would love 11's but I dont want to have to get a loan for shoes.

Im surprised some of these og's dont sell for more if they're wearable. I guess the difference isnt as stark as N/a Models and such. Im not as much drawn to having an og 12 to wear for better shape as much as nastalgia.

1,11,12,13 only ones I know for sure won’t crumble no matter how old the are, you will have to re glue 11,12,13 but that’s it Barge Cement will take care of that problem

So you are saying the newer retros such as the true blue 3's and the black cement 4's use phylon throughout and not pu, so they won't crack over time??

So you are saying the newer retros such as the true blue 3's and the black cement 4's use phylon throughout and not pu, so they won't crack over time??
No. They changed the formula of the PU. It’s more durable, but is heavier and firmer. The midsoles of 3 and 4s use to yellow after a year or so as it started to oxidize, that doesn’t happen anymore. You can look at pics of the older retros and see where the PU portion becomes discolored.

OG 7s are different than any of the retro 7s. The exposed part of the midsole is phylon, but internals still used PU and will crumble.

Which you can use sealing calk to fill the phylon and create a new inner cushion to make them wearable.

It's about time we had this discussion.

The midsoles of my 2004 Olympic 7's haven't crumbled, but the rubber sole did separate. Gonna have to reglue sometime. Plastic triangle on the heel started to crack, too.

OG 11 midsoles did not crumble, but the patent upper started to crack or peel.

My retro 11 breds from 2001 are still going strong, but I lack the confidence to wear them out for fear they'll just blow out on me in public. Same goes for my early 00's 12 Nubuck and Playoffs. But if you guys say you've never seen them crumble, I'll have to wear them more.

Had 3 and 5 retros crumble on me.

No. They changed the formula of the PU. It’s more durable, but is heavier and firmer. The midsoles of 3 and 4s use to yellow after a year or so as it started to oxidize, that doesn’t happen anymore. You can look at pics of the older retros and see where the PU portion becomes discolored.
Appreciate this information. Most specificity I’ve found on this topic across the web. I’m very interested in purchasing the 2015 Oreo 4’s. Would i need to worry about a new pair’s sole losing its integrity? (Considering it’s sat for 4+ years, the prospect of a crumbling sole makes me nervous)

Appreciate this information. Most specificity I’ve found on this topic across the web. I’m very interested in purchasing the 2015 Oreo 4’s. Would i need to worry about a new pair’s sole losing its integrity? (Considering it’s sat for 4+ years, the prospect of a crumbling sole makes me nervous)
Nah bro, you're good to go.

The most recent retro I've seen breakdown a little bit was the 2006 5s, even then it wasn't fully crumbling.

Nothing last forever wear ur kicks or wrap in plastic and never touch them

Yep—wear and enjoy them. I’ll feel better when they fall apart after years of usage as opposed to falling apart in storage. That just feels like a waste to me.

Back
Top Bottom