Which is more harmful

For weed to even become somewhat harmful, you have to smoke like double your body weight, and I know everyone smokes but NO ONE smokes that much . My frienddid a speech about weed vs cigarettes and told me all these random facts

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

How do we compare quantified amounts of both? What is the weed equivalent of a shot of vodka?

It doesn't even matter. Quantities are irrelevant. Drinking more than 1 or 2 (for males) drinks in an hour is already more harmful than smoking marijuana.

Once we take into consideration the amount of alcohol normally consumed to reach intoxication, the high toxicity of alcohol, the possible risks of overdose, the long-term affects of alcohol abuse (which include elevated risks for mouth, throat, stomach, bladder, liver, and colon cancers, among others), it's not even a discussion.

For any realistic scenario, barring the 1-drink-a-day for lowering BP drinkers, alcohol consumption is far more harmful and carries with it many more risks.
Again, this thread is useless without literature......

And if you were to do some real research on this you WOULD need to keep "quantities" in mind. It's like testing and comparing the effects of 2 drugs on parkinson's disease by giving arbitrary doses. That's lousy research.
?

Did you read what I wrote? Marijuana use has virtually zero negative side effects. Alcohol has plenty.

In a normal human being, unless alcohol is consumed in quantities low enough for the health benefits to outweigh the risks (this means 1 drink a day tops for women, 2 for men), its consumption is more harmful than ANY realistic amount of marijuana consumption.

I have seen plenty of "real research," from the likes of Harvard , UCLA, etc. This is where my information is coming from not from idiotic "yo my friend smoked himself ******ed" anecdotes.

Now if you think me or anyone else here is gonna take the time to dig it up you're crazy. This is NT not bio class.
oh yea?????? SMOKING marijuana has ZERO health effects. ZERO....OK.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by IcyyyESR Two3

Originally Posted by kiuyt856

Myth: Marijuana's Harms Have Been Proved Scientifically. In the 1960s and 1970s, many people believed that marijuana was harmless. Today we know that marijuana is much more dangerous than previously believed.

Fact: In 1972, after reviewing the scientific evidence, the National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse concluded that while marijuana was not entirely safe, its dangers had been grossly overstated. Since then, researchers have conducted thousands of studies of humans, animals, and cell cultures. None reveal any findings dramatically different from those described by the National Commission in 1972. In 1995, based on thirty years of scientific research editors of the British medical journal Lancet concluded that "the smoking of cannabis, even long term, is not harmful to health."

United States. National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse. Marihuana: A signal of misunderstanding. Shafer Commission Report. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1972.

"Deglamorising Cannabis." Editorial. The Lancet 356:11(1995): 1241.

Other myths and facts can be found here

If you let anything take over your life, fast food, alcohol, weed, then you'll have negative consequences. Yea an occasional beer is fine, and so is an occasional smoke (marijuana).

But over-indulging on alcohol will cause more problems than over-indulging on marijuana.
pimp.gif

Good, I already knew this. Now I have a credible source.

How do we compare quantified amounts of both? What is the weed equivalent of a shot of vodka?

It doesn't even matter. Quantities are irrelevant. Drinking more than 1 or 2 (for males) drinks in an hour is already more harmful than smoking marijuana.

Once we take into consideration the amount of alcohol normally consumed to reach intoxication, the high toxicity of alcohol, the possible risks of overdose, the long-term affects of alcohol abuse (which include elevated risks for mouth, throat, stomach, bladder, liver, and colon cancers, among others), it's not even a discussion.

For any realistic scenario, barring the 1-drink-a-day for lowering BP drinkers, alcohol consumption is far more harmful and carries with it many more risks.
Again, this thread is useless without literature......

And if you were to do some real research on this you WOULD need to keep "quantities" in mind. It's like testing and comparing the effects of 2 drugs on parkinson's disease by giving arbitrary doses. That's lousy research.
?

Did you read what I wrote? Marijuana use has virtually zero negative side effects. Alcohol has plenty.

In a normal human being, unless alcohol is consumed in quantities low enough for the health benefits to outweigh the risks (this means 1 drink a day tops for women, 2 for men), its consumption is more harmful than ANY realistic amount of marijuana consumption.

I have seen plenty of "real research," from the likes of Harvard , UCLA, etc. This is where my information is coming from not from idiotic "yo my friend smoked himself ******ed" anecdotes.

Now if you think me or anyone else here is gonna take the time to dig it up you're crazy. This is NT not bio class.
oh yea??????
I can't tell if you're being serious. If you are, then yes.

Long-term heavy marijuana use has been linked to changes in brain composition, altering the ratios of gray matter to white matter compared to non-smokers. Butthis is merely correlation, not a proven effect, and even if it were it is tough to say that it is entirely positive or negative.

[h1]Heavy pot smoking could raise risk of heart attack, stroke[/h1] [h4]Last Updated: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 | 4:51 PM ET [/h4] [h5]CBC News[/h5]

Heavy, long-term pot smoking might raise the risk stroke or heart attack, a new study found.

Researchers at the National Institutes of Health Biomedical Research Centre in Baltimore studied whether heavy, chronic smoking of marijuana changed certain blood proteins associated with heart disease and stroke.

Eighteen participants who admitted to smoking an average of 138 joints per week over an average of six years were recruited. None had major psychiatric illnesses, high blood pressure, head injuries, were HIV-positive or had alcohol or drug dependencies.

Their blood samples were taken and measured against 24 non-drug-using volunteers.

A special protein chip that can identify blood proteins was used to analyze the blood samples.

Researchers found that apolipoprotein C-III was significantly increased in chronic marijuana smokers. Blood levels of the control participants were an average of 91.2 milligrams per 100 millilitres versus 122 milligrams per 100 millilitres for the pot smokers.

The protein, which transports triglycerides in the body, is known to slow their breakdown.

Triglyceride levels were also higher in the marijuana smokers.

Triglycerides are a type of fat that circulates in the blood. High levels of triglycerides can contribute to hardening of the arteries and an increased risk of heart attack.

The researchers believe this accumulation of apolipoprotein and triglycerides could explain why marijuana users are more likely to suffer heart attacks and strokes.

The study was published Tuesday online in the journal Molecular Psychiatry.
[h2]Hippocampal Neurotoxicity of
Delta.gif
[sup]9[/sup]-Tetrahydrocannabinol[/h2]Guy Chiu-Kai Chan, Thomas R. Hinds, Soren Impey, and Daniel R. Storm
Department of Pharmacology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195
Marijuana consumption elicits diverse physiological and psychological effects in humans, including memory loss. Here we report that
Delta.gif
[sup]9[/sup]-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the major psychoactive component of marijuana, is toxic for hippocampal neurons. Treatment of cultured neurons or hippocampal slices with THC caused shrinkage of neuronal cell bodies and nuclei as well as genomic DNA strand breaks, hallmarks of neuronal apoptosis. Neuron death induced by THC was inhibited by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, including indomethacin and aspirin, as well as vitamin E and other antioxidants. Furthermore, treatment of neurons with THC stimulated a significant increase in the release of arachidonic acid. We hypothesize that THC neurotoxicity is attributable to activation of the prostanoid synthesis pathway and generation of free radicals by cyclooxygenase. These data suggest that some of the memory deficits caused by cannabinoids may be caused by THC neurotoxicity.

^ Those test subjects smoked 19 joints a day for 6 years
laugh.gif
. Thats a lot of smoke, but still, it says they may raise the raise the risks, and in 5000 yearsnot a single case of death due to marijuana has occurred. There still isn't any conclusive evidence for marijuana causing heart problems, because therehasn't been a case of it happening.

[h1]Heavy pot smoking could raise risk of heart attack, stroke[/h1] [h4]Last Updated: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 | 4:51 PM ET [/h4] [h5]CBC News[/h5]

Heavy, long-term pot smoking might raise the risk stroke or heart attack, a new study found.

Researchers at the National Institutes of Health Biomedical Research Centre in Baltimore studied whether heavy, chronic smoking of marijuana changed certain blood proteins associated with heart disease and stroke.

Eighteen participants who admitted to smoking an average of 138 joints per week over an average of six years were recruited. None had major psychiatric illnesses, high blood pressure, head injuries, were HIV-positive or had alcohol or drug dependencies.

Their blood samples were taken and measured against 24 non-drug-using volunteers.

A special protein chip that can identify blood proteins was used to analyze the blood samples.

Researchers found that apolipoprotein C-III was significantly increased in chronic marijuana smokers. Blood levels of the control participants were an average of 91.2 milligrams per 100 millilitres versus 122 milligrams per 100 millilitres for the pot smokers.

The protein, which transports triglycerides in the body, is known to slow their breakdown.

Triglyceride levels were also higher in the marijuana smokers.

Triglycerides are a type of fat that circulates in the blood. High levels of triglycerides can contribute to hardening of the arteries and an increased risk of heart attack.

The researchers believe this accumulation of apolipoprotein and triglycerides could explain why marijuana users are more likely to suffer heart attacks and strokes.

The study was published Tuesday online in the journal Molecular Psychiatry.
[h2]Hippocampal Neurotoxicity of
Delta.gif
[sup]9[/sup]-Tetrahydrocannabinol[/h2]Guy Chiu-Kai Chan, Thomas R. Hinds, Soren Impey, and Daniel R. Storm
Department of Pharmacology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195
Marijuana consumption elicits diverse physiological and psychological effects in humans, including memory loss. Here we report that
Delta.gif
[sup]9[/sup]-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the major psychoactive component of marijuana, is toxic for hippocampal neurons. Treatment of cultured neurons or hippocampal slices with THC caused shrinkage of neuronal cell bodies and nuclei as well as genomic DNA strand breaks, hallmarks of neuronal apoptosis. Neuron death induced by THC was inhibited by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, including indomethacin and aspirin, as well as vitamin E and other antioxidants. Furthermore, treatment of neurons with THC stimulated a significant increase in the release of arachidonic acid. We hypothesize that THC neurotoxicity is attributable to activation of the prostanoid synthesis pathway and generation of free radicals by cyclooxygenase. These data suggest that some of the memory deficits caused by cannabinoids may be caused by THC neurotoxicity.
One is a retrospective study, which holds very little weight. Oh, and an AVERAGE of 138 joints per week? I hope you realize how absurd thatnumber is. 20 joints a day for six years.
roll.gif
Idon't think any more needs to be said.

The other is speaking SOLELY about THC on a molecular level and it does little to mimic reality. THC is not the only chemical in marijuana, hell it's noteven the only chemical that gets you high. Nor is this experiment at all representative of the effects of smoking marijuana- it shows the extremely-short-termeffects of placing THC molecules on slices of the hippocampus. Proving what, exactly? Who knows what occurs here a day after the smoking has taken place? Whoknows what happens when all the other cannabinoids reach these sae receptors? Who knows exactly the effects of this THC-hyppocampal interaction? I don't,but neither do the researches.

Give me a study that shows real, macro-scale (not cell shrinkage, DNA damage, etc., I mean liver disease, cancer, etc.) health risks associated with marijuanasmoking.

laugh.gif
. Thats a lot of smoke, but still, it says they may raise the raise the risks, and in 5000 years not a single case of death due to marijuana has occurred. There still isn't any conclusive evidence for marijuana causing heart problems, because there hasn't been a case of it happening.

Originally Posted by Otis Dont Play That

Smoke a half eight or drink a bottle of vodka and lets see who can get home.
Are they equal amounts of the active drug? Think about this. And they don't have the same effects on the brain. Alcohol has a greater effecton coordination.

laugh.gif
. Thats a lot of smoke, but still, it says they may raise the raise the risks, and in 5000 years not a single case of death due to marijuana has occurred. There still isn't any conclusive evidence for marijuana causing heart problems, because there hasn't been a case of it happening.
I simply posted this to refute an absurd claim that marijuana has ZERO negative effects.

go ahead, in one sitting smoke as much marijuana as you think your body can take, then the next day in one sitting drink as much alcohol you feel is the"equal" amount in correlation.

in the conclusion of this small experiment, you will find your answer

One is a retrospective study, which holds very little weight. Oh, and an AVERAGE of 138 joints per week? I hope you realize how absurd that number is. 20 joints a day for six years.
roll.gif
I don't think any more needs to be said.

The other is speaking SOLELY about THC on a molecular level and it does little to mimic reality. THC is not the only chemical in marijuana, hell it's not even the only chemical that gets you high. Nor is this experiment at all representative of the effects of smoking marijuana- it shows the extremely-short-term effects of placing THC molecules on slices of the hippocampus. Proving what, exactly? Who knows what occurs here a day after the smoking has taken place? Who knows what happens when all the other cannabinoids reach these sae receptors? Who knows exactly the effects of this THC-hyppocampal interaction? I don't, but neither do the researches.

Give me a study that shows real, macro-scale (not cell shrinkage, DNA damage, etc., I mean liver disease, cancer, etc.) health risks associated with marijuana smoking.

-THC is the main active substance in marijuana, it is what gets you high. You're gonna have to educate me on what else in weed gets you high.

-The hippocampus is responsible for memory storage....it is well documented marijuana has adverse effects on memory.

-The acting of smoking marijuana itself poses health risks

You guys are naive to think smoking weed has ZERO side effects. I will say one thing tho people drink a lot more than they smoke, alcoholis more accessible and legal. We can't tell how negative the effects of marijuana are until people start using it as often and as much as they drink.

One is a retrospective study, which holds very little weight. Oh, and an AVERAGE of 138 joints per week? I hope you realize how absurd that number is. 20 joints a day for six years.
roll.gif

The other is speaking SOLELY about THC on a molecular level and it does little to mimic reality. THC is not the only chemical in marijuana, hell it's not even the only chemical that gets you high. Nor is this experiment at all representative of the effects of smoking marijuana- it shows the extremely-short-term effects of placing THC molecules on slices of the hippocampus. Proving what, exactly? Who knows what occurs here a day after the smoking has taken place? Who knows what happens when all the other cannabinoids reach these sae receptors? Who knows exactly the effects of this THC-hyppocampal interaction? I don't, but neither do the researches.

Give me a study that shows real, macro-scale (not cell shrinkage, DNA damage, etc., I mean liver disease, cancer, etc.) health risks associated with marijuana smoking.
-THC is the main active substance in marijuana, it is what gets you high. You're gonna have to educate me on what else in weed gets you high.

-The hippocampus is responsible for memory storage....it is well documented marijuana has adverse effects on memory.

You guys are naive to think smoking weed has ZERO side effects. I will say one thing tho people drink a lot more than they smoke, alcohol is more accessible and legal. We can't tell how negative the effects of marijuana are until people start using it as often and as much as they drink.

you're going to have to spell like an adult before you get anyone to write a research paper for you. who the hell are you, my professor???
indifferent.gif

i mean i respect your spunk, but c'mon man, this is niketalk.

Originally Posted by nick0lis

roll.gif

You guys are naive to think smoking weed has ZERO side effects. I will say one thing tho people drink a lot more than they smoke, alcohol is more accessible and legal. We can't tell how negative the effects of marijuana are until people start using it as often and as much as they drink.
you're going to have to spell like an adult before you get anyone to write a research paper for you. who the hell are you, my professor???
indifferent.gif

i mean i respect your spunk, but c'mon man, this is niketalk.

So because this is Niketalk we shouldn't think things through and offer and ask for evidence during debates such as this?
laugh.gif

n1701838_32790509_8758.jpg

Is this formal enough language for you?

Cannabinoids present in marijuana create the "high" as much as THC does. There is a well-known, brief BBC documentary in which a reporter is given aninjection of THC+active cannabinoids in marijuana and one of just THC. Very different effects.

My point being that, while one chemical may pose certain harm to specific cells in the body, this doesn't give us a full picture of what goes on, only atiny piece of it.

I know the hippocampus is responsible for memory storage- take a look at these abstracts of studies which refute the claims that marijuana permanently degradesmemory function:

http://archpsyc.ama-assn....ntent/abstract/58/10/909

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.g...ortPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

While long-term, heavy marijuana use may affect brain function, it does not necessarily, as these and more studies illustrate, deteriorate hippocampalfunction.

Smoke is full of carcinogens, you are correct. Yet a recent UCLA study found that frequent, heavy, unfiltered marijuana smoking does not cause lung cancer.Other studies have found that THC actively destroys cancer-prone cells in the lungs.

I never said smoking weed has "zero side effects." Read my previous posts, I acknowledged that there are some. But distinctly negative ones? Nonehave been proven.

Finally, the thread was not asking "are there any negative side effects of smoking marijuana?" It was asking which was worse, smoking weed ordrinking alcohol. It should be clear by now what the answer is.

^^^^ I understand the original question and my answer is we don't truly know what's more harmful because people don't drink as much as they smoke.This needs to be quantified......equal amounts of each taken and examined.

^Cigarettes are way more harmful then alcohol. That's because smokers smoke way more than they drink alcohol. But let's say if you take the same amountof alcohol as cigs, then alcohol imo would be more harmful.

^^^^ I understand the original question and my answer is we don't truly know what's more harmful because people don't drink as much as they smoke. This needs to be quantified......equal amounts of each taken and examined.
That makes no sense. Equal amounts of each? Effective doses of alcohol are thousands of times higher than effective doses of THC+Cannabinoids.

How is that at all relevant? A dose of a fat-soluble vitamin like A equal to a healthy serving (1 drink) of alcohol would probably kill you. Does that make itworse for you than alcohol?

The facts are right in front of you yet you act as though they are inconclusive. Alcohol causes millions of deaths, millions of illnesses, incredible declinesin brain and other organ capacities, addictions, etc. etc. How can you possibly argue that marijuana, which in absurdly high doses for decades may or may notcause a slight decline in some memory processes, is even comparable? The disparity between the two is so immense that quantification need not even enter thediscussion.

^^^^ I understand the original question and my answer is we don't truly know what's more harmful because people don't drink as much as they smoke. This needs to be quantified......equal amounts of each taken and examined.
That makes no sense. Equal amounts of each? Effective doses of alcohol are thousands of times higher than effective doses of THC+Cannabinoids.

How is that at all relevant? A dose of a fat-soluble vitamin like A equal to a healthy serving (1 drink) of alcohol would probably kill you. Does that make it worse for you than alcohol?

The facts are right in front of you yet you act as though they are inconclusive. Alcohol causes millions of deaths, millions of illnesses, incredible declines in brain and other organ capacities, addictions, etc. etc. How can you possibly argue that marijuana, which in absurdly high doses for decades may or may not cause a slight decline in some memory processes, is even comparable?
I'm saying this can be tested, no one has until I see this I'm still on the fence. I did research in Psychopharmacology (Alcohol/frustration induced aggression) in college and there are ways to test all of this to know for sure. The first step would be to find out what exactly thoseeffective doses are, and test equal amounts of each doses and measure the short/long-term effects.

Back
Top Bottom