Which one is the better "42" inch T.V. Samsung or LG?

guccjermaine

Banned
I need a new T.V. for gaming purposes, I need some opinions on which is the better brand, quality wise. Reps for everyone who helps. Which brand do you have?

You have to post the basic specs on each at least to make a good comparison because Sammy and LG make a lot of different versions of 42" LCDs. But price wise you should spend no more than $600 for a 42". 42" tvs are the new 32"s.

I have an LG and I love it, had it for almost a year now. Me personally I'd go with LG. If you're using it for gaming and adding surround sound make sure you get one with multiple HDMI ports so you dont have to unplug them whenever you want to use something different

I got a 42 inch LG and I use it for mostly gaming..I have had it for about a year and the only complaint I really have with it is some some color issues deep blues and black sometimes show up as more of a washed out gray..Other than that I enjoy it...

brand aside, check out the specs first . . . 1080p, 120hz (or even 240hz for bigger monitors), 3D capable, how many HDMI ports, optical audio out, how many watts for built-in speakers (if any), or even how functional is the remote control is?

Samsung only makes 40's and 46's while LG makes 42's and 47's. Right now Samsung tv's are unilateral pricing.(Same price everywhere). However you'll probably find some decent price points. LG's you can get discounts on still. Best value would probably be in LG, best overall quality will be with Samsung.

DONT BUY AN LCD, it would be a waste of money.

LED only, there are some nice 42" LED LG tv's, make sure you consider getting a 120hz model. For a smoother refresh rate.

now, if you're looking plasma, Samsung makes an inexpensive 43" model, 720p but atleast its 600hz with a pretty nice black level. Probably around $399 nation wide.

I would consider a decent LED 1080p, 120hz model, check out either the 42LS5700, should be priced around $730 thats LG (smart tv)

or in Samsung either the UN40EH6000 priced right around $698 (not a smart tv)

$300? For a 42"? It's not gonna be Samsung or LG even if its a plasma. Check out the pn43e450, it'll probably be around 400 but it's better than a Sanyo lol

I have a 46" Samsung for like 4-5 years. Only problem that gave me was two capacitors going out and the TV wouldn't turn on. I was able to replace the bad capacitors myself so It's still in working condition. No experience with LG.

I also have this in my room. PC and HDMI hookup for 2 in 1 uses on one unit.
Amazon product ASIN B001AYCNIW

Last edited:
LEDs :x I'm a plasma guy myself :tongue:
But if I were to choose one brand over the other it would definitely be LG. Depending on what model you get some are actually thx certified (optimal for movie watching). Not only that but if you go to best buy and compare them you'll notice that the Samsungs colors tend to bleed a lot and almost have no distinction at all. Very unnatural and ugly looking . Samsungs tend to also have to have more dejudder than other tvs.

I strongly suggest getting the LG CS570 . That tv blows any of the Samsung 6000 series LEDs out of the water, and its an lcd which is the funny part. It has great color, very deep, distinct, and natural. It's going to be 120hz but the panel seems to handle motion better than some simulated 240hz (overclocked 120hz ) panels on Samsung leds. Awesome tv!

But if your room is dark get the p50u50 Panasonic plasma. The second best bang for your buck tv out right now. Great color and fast refresh rate (600hz). Great black levels! Compare it to any led and you will see how blue the blacks on leds look. Awesome.tv. I suggest you read up on the reviews before you buy. most places have it for 699.99.
But its only available in 50 or above.

The best bang for your buck is going to be the Panasonic st50. It's a little more but awesome . It's using Panasonics infinite black technology. With a 2500 focused field drive its awesome for anything high paced.
That too is only available for 50 and above. If you can find one they made a 42" last year which I have. It's called p42st30 and I love it.

Hope this helps :smile:

LEDs :x I'm a plasma guy myself :tongue:
But if I were to choose one brand over the other it would definitely be LG. Depending on what model you get some are actually thx certified (optimal for movie watching). Not only that but if you go to best buy and compare them you'll notice that the Samsungs colors tend to bleed a lot and almost have no distinction at all. Very unnatural and ugly looking . Samsungs tend to also have to have more dejudder than other tvs.
I strongly suggest getting the LG CS570 . That tv blows any of the Samsung 6000 series LEDs out of the water, and its an lcd which is the funny part. It has great color, very deep, distinct, and natural. It's going to be 120hz but the panel seems to handle motion better than some simulated 240hz (overclocked 120hz ) panels on Samsung leds. Awesome tv!
But if your room is dark get the p50u50 Panasonic plasma. The second best bang for your buck tv out right now. Great color and fast refresh rate (600hz). Great black levels! Compare it to any led and you will see how blue the blacks on leds look. Awesome.tv. I suggest you read up on the reviews before you buy. most places have it for 699.99.
But its only available in 50 or above.
The best bang for your buck is going to be the Panasonic st50. It's a little more but awesome . It's using Panasonics infinite black technology. With a 2500 focused field drive its awesome for anything high paced.
That too is only available for 50 and above. If you can find one they made a 42" last year which I have. It's called p42st30 and I love it.
Hope this helps :smile:

speaks the truth. Plasma = :pimp: :wow:

black levels on plasmas are on another level.

Panasonic is the brand right now for plasmas. Before that pioneer. Too bad they stopped making the kuros though :smh:

Panasonic is the brand right now for plasmas. Before that pioneer. Too bad they stopped making the kuros though :smh:

And to know that Panasonic isnt even using all of Pioneers technology is mind blowing. The kuro, a five year old tv, is still considered the best tv out.

i just bought an 42" LG and 40" Sony this month from walmart, both were around $400, I would perferred a Samsung but everyone I saw was 500 and up.

yeah good thing u didnt go with plasma since u said it was for gaming right?  plasma's and playstations dont mix from what ive heard (residual image burning)

roll.gif
 at ppl telling this guy to get a plasma for games

i got a 46' sammy last year LN series. nothing jaw dropping like what's in the pipe-line such as 4k but blu rays still look sharp.

if you have automotion which urs should make sure to turn it on for games and off for movies (as the movements are distracting IMO when it comes to motion-pictures)

welcome to the club.

yeah good thing u didnt go with plasma since u said it was for gaming right?  plasma's and playstations dont mix from what ive heard (residual image burning)

roll.gif
 at ppl telling this guy to get a plasma for games

i got a 46' sammy last year LN series. nothing jaw dropping like what's in the pipe-line such as 4k but blu rays still look sharp.

if you have automotion which urs should make sure to turn it on for games and off for movies (as the movements are distracting IMO when it comes to motion-pictures)

welcome to the club.
roll.gif
 at you for thinking plasmas aren't for gaming. Even funnier coming from a guy with an LN series ancient TV.

You should do some research before you talk out. For gaming and sports LCD/LED can't touch a plasma. The plasmas from early onset are totally different from the plasmas nowadays. I did a lot of research before I bought a TV in January and I came to realize for Gaming and sports Plasmas are superior. 3D looks so much better on Plasma too. 600hz is there for a reason.

Read and educate yourself. 

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QA4WZaAmu7g/learn/learningcenter/home/tv_flatpanel.html

Back
Top Bottom