Who can say N...the "N" word? vol. all you closet racist NTers contribute to the convo

I just find it odd that the, "Free Pass" dudes didn't get their jaws broken by ONE black person growing up. Just find it odd that anyone outside of the race has the heart to say it in a circle of black folks. No matter HOW cool you thought you were to them.

I just find it odd man.

Not saying you still do it but clearly you (and others) felt comfortable enough doing it. I blame those that "allowed" you to do it in that situation. Somebody should have put a stop to it once you got that comfortable.

Maybe Los Angeles is different cause we all grew up next to each other.

Not defending my use but I never used it daily or disrespectfully.

Most of the time was either greeting after I was greeted by it or in jest like "this n" after hearing a crazy story or joke

less endearing to who?

and made less endearing by who? dont tell me rap music 
mean.gif

the thing about the music is who is paid by and profiting from this "less endearing" use of the word?

the rapper? or his label, their white employees and the white execs?

Not defending my use but I never used it daily or disrespectfully.

Most of the time was either greeting after I was greeted by it or in jest like "this n" after hearing a crazy story or joke
You ARE defending it though.

Like I said, I blame the black folks that "let" others get away with using it because they are cool.

no its a benefit that we took a term of derogation and made it a term of endearment

if turning negatives into positives are privileges now then i hate to think of what else will be called a "privilege" in the future

How is it a term of endearment?

It's just a word used anytime, angry, sad, happy.

It's not a term of endearment.

brotha is a term of endearment. King is a term of endearment, because you're not going to cuss someone out and say brotha or king.

Last edited:
I just find it odd that the, "Free Pass" dudes didn't get their jaws broken by ONE black person growing up. Just find it odd that anyone outside of the race has the heart to say it in a circle of black folks. No matter HOW cool you thought you were to them.

I just find it odd man.

Not saying you still do it but clearly you (and others) felt comfortable enough doing it. I blame those that "allowed" you to do it in that situation. Somebody should have put a stop to it once you got that comfortable.

NY is pretty much the same.

This and when a black person says it to another black person in derogatory manner, I consider it worse than a white to black.

It's just a word used anytime, angry, sad, happy/

brotha is a term of endearment. King is a term of endearment, because you're not going to cuss someone out and say brotha or king.
Yea, I hate the, "It is a term of ENDEARMENT" card.

No, it isn't. It is just a word that people use.

It is nothing ENDEARING about that word.

It wasn't a NEGATIVE that was turned into a POSITIVE.

What is POSITIVE about it? At best, it can be a Neutral word, but POSITIVE? Nah, no it isn't. Not by any metric.

I'm 3/4 Puerto Rican/1/4 Black.  a black Puerto Rican Should I be able to say it?
Yeah, I consider myself a black Puerto Rican definitely. But I think I'm pretty racially ambiguous.

Just the fact that my father didn't know his father kind of forces me to put it that way. All I know is that my grandfather on my father's side was black. My father looks like Ice Cube though, so I think my black card is valid.
laugh.gif

so nobody puts "my" in front of it as another way of saying homie, friend etc?

of course not all uses of it are positive, thats what conditioning and historical context do in terms of creating negative associations with the word

but to quite literally take something used as denigration and turn in on its head is to me, a positive

like how blues and jazz started out of black pain to become beautiful art forms, so is the evolution of the word

itd be nice if nobody said it, but i think its more powerful to take ownership of the word from them

The word means a lot to me just because of that. I don't think there's anything more endearing to me than a close friend or family member saying 'my *****.'

Just like with everything else we were saddled with, we took it and twisted it to work for us.

This and when a black person says it to another black person in derogatory manner, I consider it worse than a white to black.

Because the white folks won with psychological war

Man, the reaction alone tells me that a white dude saying it comes off worse than when a black person uses it in a derogatory manner.

Think about what YOU would do/feel/think if both of those situations happened to you. Which one would boil your blood more? :lol:

I've been called the N word before and have had mixed company use it in front of me in conversation, and had a couple of white guys say it in front of me and I've felt the same about for the longest:

There's no law against it but do understand that some people are willing to kill you if you use it and ask yourself is it worth it.

I look at it mostly like a cuss word and don't bat an eye at it being used by folks that aren't black because it has become so "normal".

Situation 1: Lil white guy at my college was in my dorm room cause we had to sign some slip and my homie was leavin' and I told him to "hurry up and sign it N " so as he is leavin' I say "Aight lemme see it so I can sign it" lil white dude goes "well don't sign it N ". I put my pen down and said, "Listen, don't say that anymore. I'm not gon hit you/hurt you but it's some folks out on campus that will, don't say that ever again" He tried to downplay it and laugh it off but I told him again, "Seriously, don't say that **** no more". And nah, I wasn't about to whoop him cause he was prob only 5 foot 5 115lbs with 4 cinderblocks on his back and I was 6 foot 3 muscular @ 185, nothing good would have come of me smashin' lil fella

So you called the "lil white guy" _?

And got mad when he reciprocated?

Seems odd to me.

Last edited:
So you called the "lil white guy" _?

And got mad when he reciprocated?

Seems odd to me.
I was talkin' to my homeboy and not him. I didn't get mad, I'm from the south I've heard worse and seen worse. Somebody callin' me something out my name isn't gonna anger me. Keep it verbal and it won't get physical

I went to a Christian college and you can tell he was one of those young white kids who didn't listen to rap and was friends with everybody and just thought saying it was no big deal.

I grew up in a small Massachusetts cul-de-sac neighborhood in the 90's, 11 white families, 2 black families...but all pretty much one big family, no divide whatsoever. But I always knew the word to be one of the worst words one could mutter. Like parents would probably be more forgiving of you cussing out your teacher than if you said the N-word casually
laugh.gif

A kid from an opposing school's soccer team called my neighbor and one of my best friends the n-word so we drove to the kid's house a week later so my boy could give him the beats real quick in the kid's front yard.

no its a benefit that we took a term of derogation and made it a term of endearment

if turning negatives into positives are privileges now then i hate to think of what else will be called a "privilege" in the future

It's just a word used anytime, angry, sad, happy.

The other thing about the narrative that black folks have somehow transformed the word into something positive or have taken all of the power out of the word is that if a white person says it, it still has a negative meaning and it still generally elicits a powerful reaction.

I mean, black folks can use the word if they want and can dictate who can and can't say it; I'm completely good with that. But I just find that narrative problematic and inaccurate...

I'm black. My circle is a few black guys. A Dominican. A Filipino and 3 Puerto Ricans. We all say it. My other dominican friends say it. My other Filipinos say it. It's cool to me

But if you're white u shouldn't say it. Period nor should u wanna say it

I just find it odd man.

really, cause I find it odd that this seems to only be an issue on the internet. never have i seen this be an issue irl. every type of race used that word growing up, no one ever batted an eye

Back
Top Bottom