Who Here Has A "Good" Job With No College Degree VOL. 40K+

Originally Posted by voterobformayor

if you good with computers and interested in how they work IT certifications are a good way to go.

CCNA
A+
MCSA
Comptia

The certifications could take less then 6months to study and pass

With certifications like this you can easily land a 40K +job anywhere

I wish some of my less productive friends were interested in this kind of work, I would've brought them into my job cause we always hiring and I never have anyone to recommend lol

This is what I will be attending school for starting school for this summer.  Which certification would you recommend obtaining first?

if you good with computers and interested in how they work IT certifications are a good way to go.

CCNA
A+
MCSA
Comptia

I wish some of my less productive friends were interested in this kind of work, I would've brought them into my job cause we always hiring and I never have anyone to recommend lol

laugh.gif
 experience > certifications
but im still studying for ccna
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by EcruteakCityBoy

CCNA
A+
MCSA
Comptia

laugh.gif
nerd.gif
Yup. But still certs are a great way to land a job.
I currently have zero but have a ton of experience. MIght try to get my A+ before I graduate just because

^^ Agreed. I'm currently working desktop tech stuff and probably leave for a higher position soon. No certs and I didn't go to college for this, although I did go. Got the job through connections, like any other job I've had really. I'd skip the A+ and try Net+ imo.

As for establishing connections and learning more, ask your fellow NTer. A few have given me stuff to study and advice.

I used to sell mattresses in College. No degree required.

Made 55-60k with commish and all that, 40 hour weeks but most of the time all I did was study since the store was so slow during the day.
Top salesman at high traffic stores and affluent neighborhoods (Santa Monica, Hollywood, Torrance etc... I live in SoCal) made up to 110-115k on a good month, at least 95k average. It's pretty lucrative, but dealing with the disrespectful customers and getting treated like dirt from everyone coming in the store wasn't for me.

CCNA
A+
MCSA
Comptia

hire me

so know one does security? yea thats what im doing making a measly 20k. although im on the verge of getting my firearms license and doubling my pay.
just taking it a step at a time. idk what i got planned next after i land an armed security job possibly executive protection.

Originally Posted by Nike Jordan

Originally Posted by Murkn3m

All the opportunities are out in the west I see.. I can barely get a job in fl smh..
That makes two of us...
frown.gif
3 of us... i mean i have something but i haven't cracked 30 g's ... feels batman...

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by EcruteakCityBoy

CCNA
A+
MCSA
Comptia

laugh.gif
nerd.gif
Yup. But still certs are a great way to land a job.
I currently have zero but have a ton of experience. MIght try to get my A+ before I graduate just because
You cant get experience without the certs simply put most entry level it positions require at least a cert or 2 years hands on work so yeah you can get enough work experience to cover a+, and net+ but something like ccna is going to hard to prove with work experience if you were just at entry level position

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

CCNA
A+
MCSA
Comptia

hire me

noboby checks for your certifications , you can tell them you have MCP for windows 8
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

its like at the airports the Sand people will ask for 100.00 US and give you the official certs
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

some good stories in here...only thing about some of the jobs long term growth and/or job security seems to be a little off

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

I used to sell mattresses in College. No degree required.

Made 55-60k with commish and all that, 40 hour weeks but most of the time all I did was study since the store was so slow during the day.
Top salesman at high traffic stores and affluent neighborhoods (Santa Monica, Hollywood, Torrance etc... I live in SoCal) made up to 110-115k on a good month, at least 95k average. It's pretty lucrative, but dealing with the disrespectful customers and getting treated like dirt from everyone coming in the store wasn't for me.
****, some of the people on the Westside believe they're like a superior race, I swear.

Owning your own business >
In all seriousness though, I just started it about a month ago. But everything is going very well for me.

Best move I could have ever made. I told myself since middle school that college wasn't for me. I'm glad i made my own path and didn't ever go.

It's just a pool business. Nothing incredibly fancy. But in my area there is an abundance of pools, and I've got many contacts who're involved with property management. If all the agreements I've got lined up work out, in a couple months I stand to make over seven thousand dollars a month. It wont be easy, long days, six days a week, but it'll be worth it in the end I hope.

I work as a trial paralegal in a big corporate law firm in the bay area. I make 77k + bonus a year and i never graduated high school or any type of certification classes . I have been doing this since I was 21 ( 10 yrs) and have never made less that 50K a year. The funny thingis, I never told anyone this as most of my coworkers and freinds think I went to a 4 year school as they did. I admit I am embareassed that i dont have any formal education or even my paralegal certificate. I have been thinking ab goign to get it for the last year and may make that move soon. I started a an entry level offcie clerk at 21 and worked my up up at various firms. I am a highly intelligent, charasmatic, charming person, and it doesnthurt thatI am pretty good looking ( no humble brag) but I truly think this has everything thing to do w/ my succes thus far.

Also, I am a trained chef, which is what i did my whole life; cook. I work inthe office 9-5, m-f then cook for a few different clients throughout the week. Whille I LOVE cooking, it is a hard gig to do full time in a restaurant and for a while i was doing both.

Let me go ahead and shut this down real quick with career (not a job) that makes a difference...

firefighter1.jpg

BTW, that's not me.

I made 50k+ as a rookie with only 6 shifts of overtime in a year (1 shift is 24 hours) plus we have one of the best pensions/retirements around with no 401k BS. Oh, and we only work 2 days a week - 24 hours on, 24 hours off, 24 hours on, 5 days off (Most depts in the nation do not have a great schedule like ours). So as you can read we only work 2 out of every 8 days. Only thing is you have to be at work for 24 hours - eat, sleep, everything. You can't leave at 5pm like 8-5'ers and you can't sneak away to run an errand real quick. You are at the station or on a call for 24 hours.

I do have a college degree, but you do not have to get one to be hired, at least in my city. Most of us do not have college degrees. Tough part is it is very difficult to get hired in any town, big or small. Guys wait years just to take a test or be called to get hired after they take a test. Then you have training to complete in order to get your certifications. Some guys get certs on their own which makes it easier, but you still have to wait to get hired. You can't just walk in and apply.

Oh, and you have to be a man too
glasses.gif
. This isn't sitting behind a computer for 8 hours a day. All kidding aside though, we do and see some stuff I don't talk about except with other firefighters.

IT jobs don't care bout no damn certs 
laugh.gif

If you don't love what you do, you'll never last in IT. 

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

bump..

Aren't you in the military?? Not for nothin but I've met/known more than a few bums after they get out the service. Just like college, guess it depends on what you went for.

Yeah. I'm in medical, figured hospital ain't going nowhere
laugh.gif

real estate, accounts receivable and lease admin.
Great pay and benefits but no pension.

Thinking about applying for the d.o.c.

Anyone ever start their own business lie fuzzy robots pool business. If so id love to hear about it.

Oh yea i forgot. Fuzzy, is it a pool cleaning business or what? Also did you need to get a loan or you saved up if so how much did you get to start up

Back
Top Bottom