Who here makes 6 figures? Vol. 2016 edition

Idk about it not being realistic, but it doesn't at all take into account the majority of the time those years are completely stretched, with people spending 5+ years at any one of those levels. Let's say you spend 7 years on the staff level...how old do you think you'll be by the time you sniff senior manager :lol:?

IDK what industry you in but avg Senior Role asks for 8-10yrs experience when it comes to IT. Avg person isn't being management roles until later 30s at a min. Being a Manager at 30 greatly depends on your company because with that logic everyone in the company with 10 yrs experience is a Senior Manager. Now how in the hell does that sound? lol

Eeeeeexactly :lol:

Trust me man, I get into with my girl all the time over this.....

"Why do I pay half the rent when you make more than I do?"

"Because babe, I gotta save for grad school , **** won't pay for itself"

This is why counting other men's pockets is asinine...

I was in a similar situation lil while ago
i give here extra money for stuff because i want to.
Not because I feel mandated to because I make more.
Almost broke up honestly but she understand know.

She was also getting that nonsense from a co worker who was in grad school and husband was working in his career field and the paid bills on a percentage.

Had to make it clear we not in competition with other couples and everybody bubble at different times because we all do different things.

Trust me man, I get into with my girl all the time over this.....

"Why do I pay half the rent when you make more than I do?"

"Because babe, I gotta save for grad school , **** won't pay for itself"

This is why counting other men's pockets is asinine...

She was also getting that nonsense from a co worker who was in grad school and husband was working in his career field and the paid bills on a percentage.

Had to make it clear we not in competition with other couples and everybody bubble at different times because we all do different things.

Hell that should be a whole different thread itself, women who ruin their own good relationships due to their bummy friends who are in crappy ones

Last edited:
Can anyone chime in about marketing?   How many hours can one expect to work on different levels? How much are you/they getting paid for that work?

Im not down with working more than 45- 50 hours week. I've really been thinking about going to grad school for health related work vs. getting an MBA and doing the marketing path. This seem like the best value if you can consistently make like 70 -100k working 40 hours a week 

Made it (base) after 3 yrs experience by 1) starting out relatively high (engineer), 2) jump to different LOB, and 3) earning certifications/licenses.

Since then, biggest boost was jumping to yet another LOB by leveraging experience/connections, then second biggest bump due to earning a masters.

By no means is the technical side more lucrative then finance, but planning to turn my tech background into a finance/consulting path in the somewhat near-term (3 yrs).

Think my savings rate is more impressive than my salary tbh, #teamlivebelowyourmeans :smokin

Last edited:
The lead partner of my group works on avg a little over 50 hours per week but he's pulling over 1.8 million. I'll gladly put in my time and effort to reach that sort of financial security. Working 45-55 hours per week is the norm if you want to make it big. It's really not that much honestly, but I guess I'm just use to it by now.

Each one of us is driven by a different things, coming here to NYC as a child from a foreign country, achieving financial security and comfort is my number one driver. At the same time we all have a number where once we reach it it's enough, mine is fairly high to say the least.

Salary is also relative to location. 6 figures in Silicon Valley is completely different than six figures in a smaller, Midwest town.

I'm in pharmaceutical too(Merck) with the OT I do ok. The real money maker is is pharmaceutical device sale the make a killing.
what do you do that you get OT? I've always been an exempt employee. You in West point, PA? I just left jnj recently to go back to a small biotech, loving it.
I'm at the site in Durham. I work in ops, and here they believe and in having lean teams. So OT is pretty much plentiful. Best thing about my job is I'm salary but after 40 hours it's time in a half and holiday is triple. So my check from this past Memorial Day weekend is about to be real legit.

Last edited:
I'm in pharmaceutical too(Merck) with the OT I do ok. The real money maker is is pharmaceutical device sale the make a killing.

my mom has a friend that does something like that......she travels a lot though

I'm trying to remember the title......pharma sales, device, equipment i don't remember she def makes 6 figures though
Oh yea a lot of traveling, nothing I would do but my homie has a guy who pulls in 225k

I hit 6 figures a few years back just working up through the ranks. Started off making decent money right out of college. I should break 250k this year if sales continue like they are and stock keeps bouncing back. I work in logistics and work less than 40 pretty much every week. Not including emails at home pretty much all day long.

Actually working on a new position with a different company I'll make a little less but the corporate headquarters is very close so the upside there makes it a little more appealing. I have no desire to move from the Louisville area and certainly no desire to move to Arkansas For the next position up from my current role

60 hours a week is definitely not a lot especially if you run a business. I can see how its a lot at a corporate gig or something like that. I worked for my cousin who had a used car dealer/garage/autobody. I managed the joint and its not actual work time. hours arent really set but one day u might stay 8-8 some days till 6, 6 days a week. but most of the time it was just down time sitting around.

View media item 2061204

repped

Yea as I said I would much rather be making it in the states or Canada my home country, but to make that post tax I would need to clear 135,000... Simply that is not possible.

Cats in here talking about by 29-30 if you stuck it out and slaved at one company you would be there, also not true.

I have friends with their masters working in oil and gas field as senior business analyst position clearing just 80k pre tax. Also have people in Detroit working for the electricity city planning hardly clearing 75. I am not sure where you have people doing what you guys are talking about by 30.

I'm sure it's possible but let's not get extra generic and say every body can get that path.

And lmao at regional managers clearing 135k, where this at? Regional managers in telecommunications hardly clear 90 max.

My father is a senior process engineer in wastewater and only got that to that stage at like 60 years old.

Like I said if you really about it- the world is big and the oppurtunity to make money in other places is super high.

I can't believe people justifying 60 hr work weeks as well

Incorrect about the statement regarding telecommunications managers. Im in management (assistant) with AT&T at a corporate location and I'm making around 60k-65k in the Deep South. In a metropolitan area that's more so 70k. Store managers make about 80k-90k..area managers 100k+..DOS 200k. Regional is pulling in about 500k. Basically climbing the corporate ladder within the retail sales dept.

Last edited:
I hit 6 figures a few years back just working up through the ranks. Started off making decent money right out of college. I should break 250k this year if sales continue like they are and stock keeps bouncing back. I work in logistics and work less than 40 pretty much every week. Not including emails at home pretty much all day long.

Actually working on a new position with a different company I'll make a little less but the corporate headquarters is very close so the upside there makes it a little more appealing. I have no desire to move from the Louisville area and certainly no desire to move to Arkansas For the next position up from my current role
props bro, u must be living like a king in KY making 200+

props bro, u must be living like a king in KY making 200+

I actually live in Floyds Knobs, Indiana. But no one not from around here knows what I'm saying so Louisville being about 5 miles away is the easy place to say.

But we live well, Not to crazy though. Nice house that I bought from a builder going bankrupt, bought it still unfinished and finished it myself. We did splurge last week when we were in myrtle beach on vacation and ended up buying a vacation house down there since we go there multiple times a year. We invest most of our extra money into real estate. Closed on a 32 unit apartment building in Louisville a few months ago. Hoping to be done with the whole corporate world by 40 but more realistically it will be at 45. I'll be 33 in a couple months so I still have some grinding to do.

Last edited:
Oh yea a lot of traveling, nothing I would do but my homie has a guy who pulls in 225k

holy **** word???

damn i would hate it though......ive done that kinda life before, can't do it.

bet his hours serious........

Last edited:
F that plateau of 100k,

I just want to be comfortable and not fall into the trap of making X and now wanting X + 50k

We are made to always want more, cut that **** off and you'll be golden.

Financial freedom is where it's at.

The only way i would work 50-60-70-80 hours a week is if I work for myself. I'm not slaving for somebody else.

Making 70k a year working 35 hours with flexibility, pension plan and great benefits >>> making 120k slaving with no benefits.

Working in corporate this is something I noticed after just two weeks.

You can be the most highly technical person in my field (IT), but unless you're a manager there is only so high you can climb. Most people don't hit that ceiling, but regardless it does exist.

That transition into management is the only way to get the cheddar.
Lead IT architects earn as much as IT managers. Theyre less of them though.

Last edited:
F that plateau of 100k,

I just want to be comfortable and not fall into the trap of making X and now wanting X + 50k

We are made to always want more, cut that **** off and you'll be golden.

Financial freedom is where it's at.

The only way i would work 50-60-70-80 hours a week is if I work for myself. I'm not slaving for somebody else.

Making 70k a year working 35 hours with flexibility, pension plan and great benefits >>> making 120k slaving with no benefits.

repped

I don't think a single person has said something positive about 60 week hours. I learned something today.

Back
Top Bottom