Why American doesnt like soccer ?

Such a shame. Imo it's the highest competition on a world scale. Although i love basketball til death. Soccer to me was my first love and imo it'sreally fun to play. Score on a curve ball Corner kick ftw
pimp.gif
. Hatrick
pimp.gif
. The goalie position
pimp.gif
Penalty shootout
pimp.gif
. On a strategy wise, there are so many different ways to score and skills involved/required. Soccerathletes are know to be very well conditioned and can outrun a running back. I think part of the reason we don't like soccer has to do with American beingtoo fat, too cocky, and are scare to get our !#$!@ handed by some third world countries
smh.gif

Your thought ?

In short....Soccer is dirt cheap to play. That's why it gained so much popularity in third world countries. The US had the resources to venture in otherdirections and to that end, sports such as football, baseball, and then basketball were able to gain a foothold on America and it became engrained in every dayculture, much the same way soccer is popular overseas and football and baseball won't gain much steam in those places.

Edit: Also meant to say that it's not that Americans don't love soccer. Soccer is actually very popular among kids these days. It's just that weare so set in our ways, as far as culture and past times, that soccer has to do too much in too little of time to reach mainstream among the majority ofAmericans in comparison to the big 3.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

In short....Soccer is dirt cheap to play. That's why it gained so much popularity in third world countries. The US had the resources to venture in other directions and to that end, sports such as football, baseball, and then basketball were able to gain a foothold on America and it became engrained in every day culture, much the same way soccer is popular overseas and football and baseball won't gain much steam in those places.

Edit: Also meant to say that it's not that Americans don't love soccer. Soccer is actually very popular among kids these days. It's just that we are so set in our ways, as far as culture and past times, that soccer has to do too much in too little of time to reach mainstream among the majority of Americans in comparison to the big 3.
Well put

Because we nearly all of the other professional teams that the world's athletes want to play in. There are kids in Cuba playing baeball, dreaming aboutplaying in the big leagues. There are dudes in Europe shooting lights out o basketball courts, hoping to get drafted to the NBA. There are people playingfootball in other countries, hoping to get a scholarship to play in college over here and get drafted to the NFL.

But soccer is one of the sports we have where the competition is better elsewhere.

americans likes violence and action and the "manly" nature of sports, something not associated with soccer/europeans, that's about the basis ofthe reason....

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

americans likes violence and action and the "manly" nature of sports, something not associated with soccer/europeans, that's about the basis of the reason....

baseball?

I made this same thread a while back...

I like the sport of soccer, but living in America, its kind of hard to follow the European leagues.

the MLS is terrible so thats not even an option for me...
ohwell.gif

In short....Soccer is dirt cheap to play. That's why it gained so much popularity in third world countries. The US had the resources to venture in other directions and to that end, sports such as football, baseball, and then basketball were able to gain a foothold on America and it became engrained in every day culture, much the same way soccer is popular overseas and football and baseball won't gain much steam in those places.

Edit: Also meant to say that it's not that Americans don't love soccer. Soccer is actually very popular among kids these days. It's just that we are so set in our ways, as far as culture and past times, that soccer has to do too much in too little of time to reach mainstream among the majority of Americans in comparison to the big 3.
Great Post.

I think I'm the only male in my family (Mexican), that doesn't like soccer.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

americans likes violence and action and the "manly" nature of sports, something not associated with soccer/europeans, that's about the basis of the reason....

Agreed. The frustrating part about watching soccer is all the acting and whining. Like the commercial, "men should act like men" and too often soccerplayers don't.
laugh.gif
these dudes havin seizures and gettin carted off the field when theydidn't even get touched....
smh.gif

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Our culture and personality lends us to sports that are fast paced with high scores.

yeah i can barely keep my hat on watching a baseball game.

Who said it was close.

The argument is that Americans need 'manliness' in sports and that Americanss don't appreciate whining and flopping.

I repeat, the NBA throws that argument right out the window. So what if it's not as close in the NBA? The NBA is still soft, and players in the NBA whineand flop left and right, yet it's still popular.

It's not that Americans need 'manliness'; it's that we have the top leagues in most sports, and one of the worst leagues in soccer (MLS), sothere's just very little interest in soccer here.

Imagine if soccer was our #1 sport.

Iverson, Wade, Reggie Bush, Vick, and Devin Hester in the open field with a soccer ball?
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

I am so sick of this "soccer is cheap to play = popular" logic. Are you telling me that countries such as England and Germany are poor? Why is soccerthe most popular sport there then?

Countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh are poor. Cricket is the #1 sport there. Cricket requires much more equipment and is more expensive to play than soccer.How come soccer isn't #1 there? The same with Cuba, where baseball is #1. By your logic, soccer should thrive much better in a poor country like that.

Tradition, which you also mentioned in your post as to why soccer is popular, does have something to do with its popularity, but it's also because it waseasier to build a tradition around soccer than football/baseball. I think the reason why soccer would thrive better if a new country was discovered tomorrow,rich or poor, is because it doesn't have 15-30 second breaks between downs/pitches and people would choose a free-flowing game. Why do you thinkthat basketball, which is actually the most and only truly American sport (as opposed to baseball and football, which are semi-European sports), has thrivedmuch better around the world than football and baseball? Because it's a free-flowing game without too many stops (minus the excessive NBA time-outs).

Just because it didn't originate in a poor country has nothing to do with the fact that it was easier to spread like wild fire through countries who hadno choice of any alternatives. The reason why other countries picked it up and maintained playing, was because it cost little, if anything, to recreate.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Long distance running is free flowing and has the same amount of scoring.

Yeah, and polo requires more equipment and is more expensive to play than football and baseball.

Your long distance example actually works against the argument that soccer is popular because it's cheap. Because as "cheap" as soccer is,it's not as cheap as long distance running.. So long distance running should easily be the #1 sport in Africa, right?

Back
Top Bottom