Why American doesnt like soccer ?

Your long distance example actually works against the argument that soccer is popular because it's cheap. Because as "cheap" as soccer is, it's not as cheap as long distance running.. So long distance running should easily be the #1 sport in Africa, right?
Well, if you want to go that route, I don't think long distance running is sport.

Don't hate me for having a legitimate opinion about soccer. I've heard the same conclusion from many players of different nationalities and I thinkthere is a lot of validity to it. It's probably not the deciding factor, but it's a huge component. So uh...Again, don't hate me because Americacould careless about soccer.

this

1b5256fe293106dbc0e1183d0a80e646901cc8a.jpg

and this...

kobecoveri.jpg

I'm a pretty new soccer fan. I always hated on soccer growing up because not a lot of the kids I grew up with really played it. We were always throwingaround a football or shooting hoops. I think the 06 World Cup gave me a little spark of interest with the whole Zidane incident. I wanted to watch more of it,the problem was I wanted to watch the best players, but there was literally no coverage of the foreign leagues and if there was it would be on really late atnight. The MLS is like watching the NBA D-league so I never got into that.

This year I've come to love and appreciate the sport more than ever before. I've been watching highlights of the top players and have caught up on thehistory of some ball clubs. FIFA 09 video game spiked my interest even higher than ever before. I got the cable package that shows La Liga and Premiere gamesand even though I was a soccer hater for many years, I can really appreciate the beauty of the game now. It's a beautiful sport to watch when watching toplevel guys compete.

Now that ESPN is going to broadcast some Premiere/La Liga games, I think interest will spike huge. If the USA has a great showing at the World Cup, we may seea dramatic difference and interest in soccer on the prep level. As far as soccer being one of the major sports here, I think it could happen, but we still havea long way to go. The money and competition really have to rise dramatically in the MLS. I'm a new soccer fan, so I may not be correct on most of myassessments, but what do you guys think it would take for soccer to really blow up on a national level and at least be on the same level as hockey here?

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Your long distance example actually works against the argument that soccer is popular because it's cheap. Because as "cheap" as soccer is, it's not as cheap as long distance running.. So long distance running should easily be the #1 sport in Africa, right?
Well, if you want to go that route, I don't think long distance running is sport.

Don't get butt hurt because I have a legitimate opinion about soccer. I've heard the same conclusion from many players of different nationalities and I think there is a lot of validity to it. It's probably not the deciding factor, but it's a huge component. So uh...Again, don't hate me because America could careless about soccer.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Don't hate me for having a legitimate opinion about soccer. I've heard the same conclusion from many players of different nationalities and I think there is a lot of validity to it. It's probably not the deciding factor, but it's a huge component. So uh...Again, don't hate me because America could careless about soccer.

I don't hate you for having an opinion about soccer. You can think whatever you want about soccer. But you shouldn't say that there is some law as towhy soccer is popular, as you stated because it's cheap.. Because there are many exceptions. There is no law as to why soccer is popular.. other thanpeople around the world liking it more than other sports.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by CP1708

Long distance running is free flowing and has the same amount of scoring.

Yeah, and polo requires more equipment and is more expensive to play than football and baseball.

Huh? Lighten up man, it was a joke about how little scoring there is in soccer. Relax. I made a similar crack on page one with the 1 nothing blowouts.
pimp.gif

And why is running more expensive then soccer? You don't gotta pay to run, just run.
laugh.gif

not really a need for ANOTHER post on this subject. will just have a bunch of other ignorant folks come in about how soccer sucks and us sports rule all.talking about all the "floping" players(proper term is diving) and low scores. people who talk about this obviously don't watch much soccer.ronaldo, drogba and divers like that don't accurately represent all soccer players/footballers.

Lots of people think soccer/futbol is slow but if you watch a pro-level match up close you can see how fast the game really is

bottom line imho americans like sports they:
A. excel at. usmnt is reguarded as a quality side but has never won a major competition. they seem to be on the come up though or

B.: they like they sports they invented or have the top league in their country.

It also helps to see more then 4 points scored in a month.

Action isn't well he ran to the left with the ball, then it got stolen and they ran to the right, then it got stolen and they ran to the left and then itgot kicked and they ran to the right, now the left, and then to the right, and then.....
Then he ran to the left with the ball, then it got stolen and they ran to the right, then it got stolen and they ran to the left and then it got kicked andthey ran to the right, now the left, and then to the right, and then.....
Then he ran to the left with the ball, then it got stolen and they ran to the right, then it got stolen and they ran to the left and then it got kicked andthey ran to the right, now the left, and then to the right, and then.....

Repeat for 90 minutes, game over.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Who said it was close.

The argument is that Americans need 'manliness' in sports and that Americanss don't appreciate whining and flopping.

I repeat, the NBA throws that argument right out the window. So what if it's not as close in the NBA? The NBA is still soft, and players in the NBA whine and flop left and right, yet it's still popular.

It's not that Americans need 'manliness'; it's that we have the top leagues in most sports, and one of the worst leagues in soccer (MLS), so there's just very little interest in soccer here.

The NBA may be soft, yes. But the sport basketball in general is NOT soft at every level (minus the NBA). Basketball is not looked at as a "soft"sport by your boys while growing up. But if you play soccer then you are looked at as a sissy and not tough enough to play bball or football. That is where theturnoff starts with Americans and soccer. And NBA basketball historically has not been soft. That just happened in the past 10-20 years. Soccer hasALWAYS had all the whining and faking injuries to get a call. And at every playing level. As compared to other sports, this stands out too much when you watcha soccer game - watch an Italian soccer game.

Iverson, Wade, Reggie Bush, Vick, and Devin Hester in the open field with a soccer ball?
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Exactly. It's not as if we don't have the most athletically gifted athletes in the world. If our best athletes chose to play soccer then we would runthe sport. (Euros have best soccer leagues because their best athletes play soccer - soccer is not seen as a 'soft' sport in Europe) Same can be saidwith baseball, MLB is becoming close to or more than 50% non US born players for the same reasons - best athletes don't play baseball.
So the US' best athletes all choose to play basketball and football, not soccer. Why? Again, because they are constantly told by their peers at a young agethat soccer is for sissies. So BBall and Football get all our best athletes, what sport do you think is going to be most exciting to watch?

Originally Posted by CP1708

It also helps to see more then 4 points scored in a month.

Action isn't well he ran to the left with the ball, then it got stolen and they ran to the right, then it got stolen and they ran to the left and then it got kicked and they ran to the right, now the left, and then to the right, and then.....
Then he ran to the left with the ball, then it got stolen and they ran to the right, then it got stolen and they ran to the left and then it got kicked and they ran to the right, now the left, and then to the right, and then.....
Then he ran to the left with the ball, then it got stolen and they ran to the right, then it got stolen and they ran to the left and then it got kicked and they ran to the right, now the left, and then to the right, and then.....

Repeat for 90 minutes, game over.
eyes.gif
I actually read that word for word
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And while everyone is entitled to think that soccer sucks, I really think a lot of it is attributed to Americans being closed minded.

Part of what makes soccer really cool to me, is actually the lack of scoring. Tactically, you have to work so hard to get a goal most of the time. And when itfinally does happen it's such a @#+!*@* catharsis! Like, when we scored today I was more excited than I was at any point during the Lakers' recentfinal run. Each goal is pretty much like a buzzer beater or last second shot IMO.

On the other hand, I can see why people get impatient with it. It really does suck to outplay the other team and lose 1-0, or end up tying. If I could changeany one thing about the game it would be no ties.

I've always felt Soccer games are pretty hit or miss. I've seen some very exciting ones, yet some that wanted to make me pull my own teeth out.

The last 20 minutes or so to today's US/Spain match were very exciting. Tim Howard was under fire the entire time.
laugh.gif

Because athletes in America go where the money is....Think about how much money pro's make in our big 3, even hockey in comparison to soccer (excludingBeckham).

These athletes who have played soccer since childhood in America, probably get to HS and realize they won't make the dough in soccer, therefore they focuson another one of our cultural centered sports.

Just because it didn't originate in a poor country has nothing to do with the fact that it was easier to spread like wild fire through countries who had no choice of any alternatives. The reason why other countries picked it up and maintained playing, was because it cost little, if anything, to recreate.
@$+*! with that nonsence. How would you explain the popularity of Baseball over soccer in the thrid world contires in Cental America? Yes it ischeap to recreate but it isn't any cheaper than other sports (except basketball). Soccer would be popular here if we had the dominant league andinternational sucess. Americans don't want to watch a sport where their own players aren't the best, plain and simple.

Originally Posted by BadaBing

Because athletes in America go where the money is....Think about how much money pro's make in our big 3, even hockey in comparison to soccer (excluding Beckham).

These athletes who have played soccer since childhood in America, probably get to HS and realize they won't make the dough in soccer, therefore they focus on another one of our cultural centered sports.
I see some truth there, but if im not mistaken soccer players (witha all the incentives placed in the contracts) make as much money as basketballplayers. Well at least the stars do.

Back
Top Bottom