Why American doesnt like soccer ?

Originally Posted by GTownBaller23

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Who said it was close.

The argument is that Americans need 'manliness' in sports and that Americanss don't appreciate whining and flopping.

I repeat, the NBA throws that argument right out the window. So what if it's not as close in the NBA? The NBA is still soft, and players in the NBA whine and flop left and right, yet it's still popular.

It's not that Americans need 'manliness'; it's that we have the top leagues in most sports, and one of the worst leagues in soccer (MLS), so there's just very little interest in soccer here.

The NBA may be soft, yes. But the sport basketball in general is NOT soft at every level (minus the NBA). Basketball is not looked at as a "soft" sport by your boys while growing up. But if you play soccer then you are looked at as a sissy and not tough enough to play bball or football. That is where the turnoff starts with Americans and soccer. And NBA basketball historically has not been soft. That just happened in the past 10-20 years. Soccer has ALWAYS had all the whining and faking injuries to get a call. And at every playing level. As compared to other sports, this stands out too much when you watch a soccer game - watch an Italian soccer game.

Iverson, Wade, Reggie Bush, Vick, and Devin Hester in the open field with a soccer ball?
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Exactly. It's not as if we don't have the most athletically gifted athletes in the world. If our best athletes chose to play soccer then we would run the sport. (Euros have best soccer leagues because their best athletes play soccer - soccer is not seen as a 'soft' sport in Europe) Same can be said with baseball, MLB is becoming close to or more than 50% non US born players for the same reasons - best athletes don't play baseball.
So the US' best athletes all choose to play basketball and football, not soccer. Why? Again, because they are constantly told by their peers at a young age that soccer is for sissies. So BBall and Football get all our best athletes, what sport do you think is going to be most exciting to watch?
i wont comment on my opinion of you but im willing to bet i can count the amount of soccer matches you have watched on one hand. i also like youranalogy of soccer being "soft" and people who played it weren't "manly " enough as you say to play basketball. as if thats an uberstrong badass sport. i mean talk about soft..and repetetive at that.

basketball being a "tough" sport compared to soccer? oh god, get out of your box and watch soccer, maybe even play it competitively. the ignorance ofbasketball homers on this site is ridiculous....

because they cant even calll it properly like the rest of the world....lololol

It's a shame that a sport has to be considered 'manly' (whatever that means...) for it to be popular in the United States.

People who don't have a clue about soccer don't understand all the complexities of the game.

They percieve a lack of action and determine the sport to be boring.

they say that about baseball...another boring sport if you are on the outside looking in.

Would NFL, NBA, MLB be as popular if it were filled with CFL, D-league and AA players? No.
What if the Kobe's, Lebron's, Manning's and A-Rods all played in Europe would you care as much? Imo I dont think people really would.
I think its because all the top players/ superstars play overseas and if they all played here (during their prime) I don't see how the sport wouldn'tcatch on.

Originally Posted by dustblaaze

Imagine if soccer was our #1 sport.

Iverson, Wade, Reggie Bush, Vick, and Devin Hester in the open field with a soccer ball?
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

i doubt they would even be decent soccer players.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
that original statement doesnt even make sense....you realize you can touch the ball with your hands in soccer?

Originally Posted by GTownBaller23

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ The NBA throws that argument right out the window.

laugh.gif
it's not even close to being the same as the NBA.
what are you talking about in the NBA just looking at someone causes a shooting fowl.

sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Dude just cause your a great athlete doesn't mean you can cut it in Soccer. Kobe and Nash played both and neither one of them came close to playing semi pro. It's like saying Maradona or Pele would have been great quarterbacks or 2nd Basemens cuz they were superior athletes. I hate this whole idea that guys like Lebron, Vick, or A-rod could if they had chosen been great soccer players...that is baloney. Jordan can't play baseball and Lionel Messi can't dunk a basketball.

sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

they are world class athletes, i think if they trained and played soccer since they were 10, i think they could get the hang of it

Originally Posted by AJIIIpLATINum

sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif
Dude just cause your a great athlete doesn't mean you can cut it in Soccer. Kobe and Nash played both and neither one of them came close to playing semi pro. It's like saying Maradona or Pele would have been great quarterbacks or 2nd Basemens cuz they were superior athletes. I hate this whole idea that guys like Lebron, Vick, or A-rod could if they had chosen been great soccer players...that is baloney. Jordan can't play baseball and Lionel Messi can't dunk a basketball.

As someone who played High School Football, Basketball, and Soccer I can tell you that Soccer and Golf are the hardest sports to get decent at. Ittakes alot of practice just to be a mediocre soccer player and golfer.

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

they are world class athletes, i think if they trained and played soccer since they were 10, i think they could get the hang of it
Yup, its not that they could pick up a soccer ball right now and be good, but what if our best athletes like Kobe, LeBron, Larry Fitzgerald,LaDainain Tomlinson, etc..grew up playing soccer? The U.S. soccer team would be alot better. Our best athletes play other sports, most of the best athletes inEurope play soccer.

sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

As someone who played High School Football, Basketball, and Soccer I can tell you that Soccer and Golf are the hardest sports to get decent at. It takes alot of practice just to be a mediocre soccer player and golfer.

i disagree with golf. in golf you're playing against yourself, really. if people could afford to not work and practice golf everyday, they could get realgood at it. not on some tiger level, but they could def. qualify for tournaments. hell if i could quit my job and practice putting alone i'd be prettygood.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Yup, its not that they could pick up a soccer ball right now and be good, but what if our best athletes like Kobe, LeBron, Larry Fitzgerald, LaDainain Tomlinson, etc..grew up playing soccer? The U.S. soccer team would be alot better. Our best athletes play other sports, most of the best athletes in Europe play soccer.

Kobe grew up playing soccer.

sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Yup, its not that they could pick up a soccer ball right now and be good, but what if our best athletes like Kobe, LeBron, Larry Fitzgerald, LaDainain Tomlinson, etc..grew up playing soccer? The U.S. soccer team would be alot better. Our best athletes play other sports, most of the best athletes in Europe play soccer.
This just isn't true... you don't just decide to be great in whatever sport you play, even if you have great athletic abilities. Sure,they could all be pretty decent based on the fact that they are natural athletes, but just because soccer would've been what they played growing updoesn't mean they'd be great at it - natural athletic ability only carries you so far, then you have to be HIGHLY skilled in whatever you're doingto become one of the best.

I never got the argument that our best athletes don't play soccer - sure, if we saw in increase in the number of guys playing soccer we'd get a betterselection of players, but i'm willing to bet about 90 percent of the guys on our national team would be the same even if soccer were our number 1 sport forthe last 20 years.

Kids don't quit soccer if they're judged to be world class potential as youngsters - it's the same with other sports, you tend to stick wthwhatever you show promise in early.. and many many kids play soccer as youngsters now, only to quit once reaching high school or so.

Hell - we have great athletes on our soccer team already... athleticism is not our problem in keeping up with the rest of the world, it's skill and tacticsthat really hold us back.

sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

He obviously didnt focus his attention on it because he plays professional basketball. I am saying focus 100% on one sport.

The point I am trying to make is, if our MAIN sport was soccer, and kids wanted to grow up and be professional soccer players, the U.S. team would be better. Aportion of the kids who would normally go play football or basketball would stick with soccer because it was more popular. In return that would give us betterprofessionals.

I know plenty of kids who were great athletes in 2 sports but ended up having to only pick one to play because of a coach, school, or other obligations. Ifsoccer was our biggest sport, I guarantee you kids would stick with it more, and be playing it in the streets more.

sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

He obviously didnt focus his attention on it because he plays professional basketball. I am saying focus 100% on one sport.

The point I am trying to make is, if our MAIN sport was soccer, and kids wanted to grow up and be professional soccer players, the U.S. team would be better. A portion of the kids who would normally go play football or basketball would stick with soccer because it was more popular. In return that would give us better professionals.

I know plenty of kids who were great athletes in 2 sports but ended up having to only pick one to play because of a coach, school, or other obligations. If soccer was our biggest sport, I guarantee you kids would stick with it more, and be playing it in the streets more.
I'm not saying it wouldn't help - but I think you're vastly overestimating the net gains we'd see from it.

It's a chicken and the egg sort of thing... look at other countries. Basketball is basically the number 2 sport in the world right now, and whilewe've seen an influx of talent come from european countries now that it's bigger over there than it used to be, it's not like our all-star gamesare overrun with international players.

Do you think that if all their "best" athletes quit soccer and started playing basketball that all of a sudden the NBA would be 80 percent european? No way - it's different skill sets, and just because their best athletes are phenoms in soccer doesn't mean they'd be NBA caliber basketballplayers if that's what they played from the start.

The translation just doesn't work - it's RARE that somebody is that talented in different areas.

sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

The point I am trying to make is, if our MAIN sport was soccer, and kids wanted to grow up and be professional soccer players, the U.S. team would be better. A portion of the kids who would normally go play football or basketball would stick with soccer because it was more popular. In return that would give us better professionals.

I know plenty of kids who were great athletes in 2 sports but ended up having to only pick one to play because of a coach, school, or other obligations. If soccer was our biggest sport, I guarantee you kids would stick with it more, and be playing it in the streets more.

I don't agree with you I agree with Craftsy21. wechoose the sport we are better at. I would love to be good at golf so i could get paid without ever breaking a sweat but I was born a better basketball andfootball player. I can crossover and dunk on tiger anyday of the week but my golf handicapp in through the roof. I grew up in LA with tons of footballbasketball baseball and soccer players; I was good at some sports and bad at other so i chose to pursue the sports i was good (in the end I was too slow forpro sports) . Even NBA MVP Steve Nash said he would have loved to have been a pro soccer player but his brother had the natural talent for soccer and he had itfor basketball.

Based on the foolish arguments some of you have been making I give you the 3 NBA, MLB, NHL, NFL, and World Cup MVPs.

30425aaea55445752f46e4a501f68b24b537321.bmp

I'm not saying any of our top level athletes could make it in soccer. Athletes like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Michael Phelps, Barry Bonds, or DwightHoward wouldn't come close to even cracking the MLS.

I listed athletes like Wade, Vick, Hester, Bush, and Iverson because of their size and world class quickness and lateral movement. It'd be foolish andarrogant to think all of our NBA/NFL/MLB players would easily dominate because that will never be true. But imagine all these NFL RBs, CBs and NBA PGs grew upplaying soccer instead of their respective sport. I don't think I'm crazy for thinking CP3 and Barry Sanders could be world class soccer players ifthat had been the only sport they played.

It's a cultural thing. Soccer just never gained a foothold (no pun intended) here and kids don't grow up wanting to play soccer..
Also to be honest, I think the US has a lot more opportunities as far as choice of sports to play is concerned. We have established football, basketball, andhockey leagues where one can play professionally and make decent money.. as well as all sorts of sports all down to the high school level. Are they reallyplaying hockey or football in South America? In Italy? I doubt it. >I think they're mostly playing soccer.

Our athletes go many different routes.. there are so many sports here to play. Soccer just doesn't get that much emphasis.

edit:: forgot we have baseball too

Back
Top Bottom