Why American doesnt like soccer ?

Soccer matches are insane. The passion, the brotherhood, is just intense. You can get bodied talking about soccer anywhere in Europe, it is that serious. Iplayed when I was little for 4 years but I ended up growing out of it to play basketball. I still appreciate soocer though.

Bar none, Turkey vs Croatia in Euro 2008 is the greatest sports match I've ever seen.
Turkey is down a player all game, and they score a last second goal (literally) in extra play to end the game in a shootout.
Then their backup goalie, the 40 something veteran that has been on the team forever makes clutch save after save and they win in the shootout to advance.

Soccer is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

why we don't like soccer currently?

easy, because we don't have room for it.

for me, football, basketball, volleyball, and hockey are more exciting sports.

What history does American soccer have?

What marketable athlete does American soccer have?

Football has Peyton, basketball has LeBron, baseball has Jeter. Casual sports fans know who these guys are. Chances are the casual American sports fan can nottell you who the best American soccer player is or who is the best soccer team in the US is.

It plays a part

Americans don't like Soccer because we don't need an excuse to riot and beat each other up...violence is a part of American culture and we don'tneed a push to throw a rock, or a chair, or shoot someone (...and, they don't even have to accidentally kick a ball into the other teams goal)...

Really...what does it say about a sport, if the fans of a sport, force the country of GERMANY to run out of beer during the course of it's Championship? Maybe that you have to be REALLY drunk to watch that much soccer???
laugh.gif

JM

Was watching the match at Chilis today... I was the only one Screaming aside from my boy Mario *From Mexico* .. Questions I heard ..

"How many Mins in a half"
"Is that El Salvador"
'"Which color is USA"
It was funny, but at least I got the entire bar section interested in watching it.. It was easy since USA were winning.. I think that's all it takes..

Originally Posted by Statis22

No tradition or major marketable athletes
i take it you mean there's a lack of history pertaining to soccer in america. otherwise.....that's a great joke.

Originally Posted by Statis22

What history does American soccer have?

What marketable athlete does American soccer have?

Football has Peyton, basketball has LeBron, baseball has Jeter. Casual sports fans know who these guys are. Chances are the casual American sports fan can not tell you who the best American soccer player is or who is the best soccer team in the US is.

It plays a part

Well you should've added "american" in your original post.

Originally Posted by BadaBing

Because athletes in America go where the money is....Think about how much money pro's make in our big 3, even hockey in comparison to soccer (excluding Beckham).

These athletes who have played soccer since childhood in America, probably get to HS and realize they won't make the dough in soccer, therefore they focus on another one of our cultural centered sports.
No No sir. Soccer players in the best league (EPL) make more $$$ on average than Football and on par with baseball. The NBA has ridiculoussalaries.

Also, there are A LOT more sources of income in soccer around the world. The average player in the EPL makes a lot of money, but the other soccer leagues payvery well too. Serie A the average player makes ~1,000,000 Euros a year. The second divisions of the EPL and the Italian league players on average make$400,000 dollars and 204,000 Euros a year. @@!%, even the terrible MLS players on average make $120,000 a year. And there are many many many soccer leaguesall over the world paying this kind of money. There are 76 Pro soccer teams just in the US and hundreds in Spain, England, Italy, Portugal, Argentina, Brazil,etc. To guess, I would say that there are over 1000 pro soccer teams paying good money. I would also conclude that there are probably more than 100 teamswho's average player salary is at minimum $800,000/yr.

NOT ONE of the big 3 sports in the US offer this kind of opportunity; with baseball and their minor leagues coming the closest. For example, on average theCFL paid its players $55,000 a year. Josh Childress is probably the highest paid player in Greece at ~ 7 million/yr. and Earl Boykins in Italy for 3.5million/yr. Compared to soccer? In the second best division (Serie A) Kaka got paid last year $1,045,381 per MONTH. In the Spanish league Ronaldinho madeabout the same.

Long story short, if you want your kinds to play a pro sport and get paid well, and have the best opportunity to do so, tell him to play soccer.

Originally Posted by jmadidas2001

Americans don't like Soccer because we don't need an excuse to riot and beat each other up...violence is a part of American culture and we don't need a push to throw a rock, or a chair, or shoot someone (...and, they don't even have to accidentally kick a ball into the other teams goal)...

Really...what does it say about a sport, if the fans of a sport, force the country of GERMANY to run out of beer during the course of it's Championship? Maybe that you have to be REALLY drunk to watch that much soccer???
laugh.gif

JM

Super Bowl.

kidoopz:
Was watching the match at Chilis today... I was the only one Screaming aside from my boy Mario *From Mexico* .. Questions I heard ..

"How many Mins in a half"
"Is that El Salvador"
'"Which color is USA"
It was funny, but at least I got the entire bar section interested in watching it.. It was easy since USA were winning.. I think that's all it takes..
eek.gif
laugh.gif

eek.gif
smh.gif

It helps if you know the sport.

People who don't have a clue about soccer don't understand all the complexities of the game.

They percieve a lack of action and determine the sport to be boring.

They see a player dribbling the ball up the field.

I see the player dribbling, a defender making an overlapping run, a midfielder making a run to pull a defender and create space, defenders switching theirmarks, etc.

There is so much more going on that casual viewers don't recognize.

Once you learn to appreciate these facets of the game you can understand why this sport is the World's game.

Originally Posted by dustblaaze

Imagine if soccer was our #1 sport.

Iverson, Wade, Reggie Bush, Vick, and Devin Hester in the open field with a soccer ball?
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

would be
pimp.gif
though
laugh.gif

I dont care what other people think, in my opinion soccer is the best sport in the world. I think most Americans dismiss soccer because they think its an easy,boring sport... "what could be harder than kicking a ball around like an rtard?"
laugh.gif

Im out... i dont feel like writing a persuasive essay.

Originally Posted by JaFlash

It helps if you know the sport.

People who don't have a clue about soccer don't understand all the complexities of the game.

They percieve a lack of action and determine the sport to be boring.

They see a player dribbling the ball up the field.

I see the player dribbling, a defender making an overlapping run, a midfielder making a run to pull a defender and create space, defenders switching their marks, etc.

There is so much more going on that casual viewers don't recognize.

Once you learn to appreciate these facets of the game you can understand why this sport is the World's game.

I agree with this. Soccer, or at least good soccer, is like a chess match. Either you get it or you don't. Additionally, like many have said, tradition isa big factor. My dad doesn't follow soccer. Nor does anyone in my family. They follow baseball and football. There is no tradition of soccer fanship in myfamily, which is where sporting interest/loyalty is generally inspired. This, I would imagine, is true for many children of non-immigrant parents. Therefore,the only way for somebody like me to learn about soccer is to approach it proactively. Our league is also a secondrate product.

no NFL player is in pro soccer shape **** of here with that crap, people who think they are have never played soccer, and certainly have no idea how its playedat a high level...

Originally Posted by MALI700

no NFL player is in pro soccer shape **** of here with that crap, people who think they are have never played soccer, and certainly have no idea how its played at a high level...
QFT. The average midfielder would run about 7 miles a game if they play the full 90 mins.

no NFL player is in pro soccer shape **** of here with that crap, people who think they are have never played soccer, and certainly have no idea how its played at a high level...
I read this a couple of times and still have no idea what argument you're making - for or against.

This is a foolish comment.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

I read this a couple of times and still have no idea what argument you're making - for or against.
He's refuting the argument that soccer is too easy to play

I really have grown to appreciate soccer in the past year or so. I used to hate both soccer and hockey because I perceived them as boring, since therewasn't a goal every 30 seconds. Then I realized, while flipping between hockey and the NBA, that there is much more tension involved when its notpractically a given that each possession will end with a good look at a scoring opportunity. It really makes ever point/goal/w.e matter more.

iv been gone from nt for 4 hrs and some of the moronic comments about soccer are very funny.
roll.gif
roll.gif

everything from it being a sissy sport to the players not making $ compared to nfl or nba or mlb. your top tier footballers make around 35-40m a year. it seemslike they get payed less because they get payed by the week.

and saying that soccer has no tradition. this may be true in america because mls has only been around for like 14 or w/e years. but in europe and what not somefamilies have been supporting their team for generations. teams have been around for close to 150 years. come on now do some research before you make commentslike that.

Back
Top Bottom