Why do car doors still open sideways rather than upwards?

I've always wondered why car doors are still made to swing open to the side when vertical doors would make it easier to get out especially in crampedparking spaces. The worst is when you have to slowly open the door so you don't slam it to the car next to you. Is there something preventing carmanufacturers from switching to this?

it would be even worse when you mean vertical as in gull wing or Lambo doors. but just straight vertical up would be pretty convienent

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

I've always wondered why car doors are still made to swing open to the side when vertical doors would make it easier to get out especially in cramped parking spaces. The worst is when you have to slowly open the door so you don't slam it to the car next to you. Is there something preventing car manufacturers from switching to this?

because if you get into an accident and flip the car on its roof you wont be able to open the doors would be my guess.

it would suck to have vertical opening doors if you got into a car accident and your car flipped over and some how caught on fire

I was positive that I was going to see this vid in here.� I'll take this overlambo style vertical doors anyday...���

Originally Posted by bulldg2686

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

I've always wondered why car doors are still made to swing open to the side when vertical doors would make it easier to get out especially in cramped parking spaces. The worst is when you have to slowly open the door so you don't slam it to the car next to you. Is there something preventing car manufacturers from switching to this?
because if you get into an accident and flip the car on its roof you wont be able to open the doors would be my guess.
Good point. Perhaps an emergency release system could be installed so they can be opened sideways. Besides, wouldn't such situations result toa partly crushed door that would prevent it from opening? If anything, the window would be the quickest way to get out if an accident like this occurs.

For those of you saying it's tacky...function/convenience > looks. It's not like cars look good with the doors open anyway.

Originally Posted by AJChick23

aumxhype has a point...they're not ideal to have if your car lands on the roof..

Convenient parking is worth the risk of dieing a fiery blaze in an upside down death trap.

mercedes-sls-amg-gullwing-2.jpg

I don't want to have to reach up to close my door. Nor do I want to have to lift a heavy door up to get in the car.

Its easier to close the door if its sideways especially if you have groceries in your hands
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by cguy610

I don't want to have to reach up to close my door. Nor do I want to have to lift a heavy door up to get in the car.

Push button...and doors aren't that heavy IMO.

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

Originally Posted by cguy610

and doors aren't that heavy IMO.

Guess you've never picked one up when they're not attached.

Originally Posted by J Burner

I was positive that I was going to see this vid in here.� I'll take this over lambo style vertical doors anyday...���

Copped
pimp.gif
even tho it is a Buick
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom