Why do interviewers waste peoples' time?

That sucks that they asked you to do a background check and drug test.  That is wasting your time.

I've interviewed tons of people, from mid-management spots to entry level customer service reps positions.

It's sad how a lot of people don't know how to interview, frankly a lot of people don't know how to dress for an interview and basically shoot themselves in the foot before they even open their mouth.

Also, you were probably not the only person interviewed.  Sometimes when you only have a certain amount of spots, and more people that interviewed well than spots that are open then it's time to nitpick.

OP you probably interviewed well, but someone better came along.  As for the internal hire, it is what it is, it's tough out there and people are using all the angles they have to land jobs.  If it was internal, they probably offered the job to someone and they didn't accept immediately.  Most places post jobs regardless.  Then the internal candidate accepted once the interview process was underway.

Still don't understand why they did a background check and a drug test.

Keep your head up.

Originally Posted by JStunn197

JFDOOM wrote:

Had 2 interviews over the last month and didn't get either gig.

First gig was a tech support position at a Sporting Goods store(paragon sports in NYC) Interview went great, passed the drug test & the background check. The outcome? I was "over qualified" for the position. You knew that the minute you saw my resume...why waste my time?

Second was a systems engineer position at NBC studios. Interview went cool. Didn't know a few things but made it certain i was more than willing to learn beyond the books. Interviewer seemed to like me and set me up for my background check and drug test. Both came back clean. The outcome? They decided to hire someone within the company. Why not hire within in the first place?

Why bother calling people in if you don't plan on hiring them in the first place? Any hiring managers on here want to chime in?

When I'm hiring I'll take the best applications and resumes and interview them all within a few days (2-5 or whatever). Sometimes the sure thing on paper turns out to be not so good in person, and sometimes the not so good on paper is a star in person... as a hiring manager you never know what's going to happen when they sit in the seat so you call a few in to talk.

To answer your question, they didn't know they weren't going to hire you when they called you in. You submitted your application and wanted to be interviewed and that's what happened. In the end, they chose someone who they thought was a better fit.
ohwell.gif

Yeah, pretty much what he said. Being overqualified doesn't necessarily mean best fit, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by JStunn197

JFDOOM wrote:

Had 2 interviews over the last month and didn't get either gig.

First gig was a tech support position at a Sporting Goods store(paragon sports in NYC) Interview went great, passed the drug test & the background check. The outcome? I was "over qualified" for the position. You knew that the minute you saw my resume...why waste my time?

Second was a systems engineer position at NBC studios. Interview went cool. Didn't know a few things but made it certain i was more than willing to learn beyond the books. Interviewer seemed to like me and set me up for my background check and drug test. Both came back clean. The outcome? They decided to hire someone within the company. Why not hire within in the first place?

Why bother calling people in if you don't plan on hiring them in the first place? Any hiring managers on here want to chime in?

When I'm hiring I'll take the best applications and resumes and interview them all within a few days (2-5 or whatever). Sometimes the sure thing on paper turns out to be not so good in person, and sometimes the not so good on paper is a star in person... as a hiring manager you never know what's going to happen when they sit in the seat so you call a few in to talk.

To answer your question, they didn't know they weren't going to hire you when they called you in. You submitted your application and wanted to be interviewed and that's what happened. In the end, they chose someone who they thought was a better fit.
ohwell.gif

Yeah, pretty much what he said. Being overqualified doesn't necessarily mean best fit, unfortunately.

I didn't even think that was possible. To my recollection, the drug and background checks are mere formalities. 
Almost as if they're using it as a stall tactic as they interview more people.

I didn't even think that was possible. To my recollection, the drug and background checks are mere formalities. 
Almost as if they're using it as a stall tactic as they interview more people.

on a related note:

My manager was the only applicant when the position was vacant and it was the worst decision e.v.e.r. As much as I love my boss, he surely did F up on this bonehead
30t6p3b.gif
I wanna push him down the stairs everytime he invites me for a smoke break
mad.gif

on a related note:

My manager was the only applicant when the position was vacant and it was the worst decision e.v.e.r. As much as I love my boss, he surely did F up on this bonehead
30t6p3b.gif
I wanna push him down the stairs everytime he invites me for a smoke break
mad.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

That sucks that they asked you to do a background check and drug test.  That is wasting your time.

I've interviewed tons of people, from mid-management spots to entry level customer service reps positions.

It's sad how a lot of people don't know how to interview, frankly a lot of people don't know how to dress for an interview and basically shoot themselves in the foot before they even open their mouth.

Also, you were probably not the only person interviewed.  Sometimes when you only have a certain amount of spots, and more people that interviewed well than spots that are open then it's time to nitpick.

OP you probably interviewed well, but someone better came along.  As for the internal hire, it is what it is, it's tough out there and people are using all the angles they have to land jobs.  If it was internal, they probably offered the job to someone and they didn't accept immediately.  Most places post jobs regardless.  Then the internal candidate accepted once the interview process was underway.

Keep your head up.
Thanks..but yeah..wasting my time was
eyes.gif
on their part

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Keep your head up.
Thanks..but yeah..wasting my time was
eyes.gif
on their part

your time was only wasted if you didn't learn anything from the experience.

if you approach the situation with a different perspective, you might not feel like you do now.

i am aware of many firms that will get everybody to the point where an offer can be extended... like, just say the word and you've got the job. however, if their first, second or third picks deny the offer (yes, some people are in a position to deny job offers) they need to be able to take their 4th choice immediately.

look at it as, you did everything right, and got to that point. it should be an achievement in itself.

if you approach the situation with a different perspective, you might not feel like you do now.

i am aware of many firms that will get everybody to the point where an offer can be extended... like, just say the word and you've got the job. however, if their first, second or third picks deny the offer (yes, some people are in a position to deny job offers) they need to be able to take their 4th choice immediately.

look at it as, you did everything right, and got to that point. it should be an achievement in itself.

Originally Posted by villansfinest

QFT.. I am currently 0-5 in my last few interviews since July.  I got interviewed for a position at BJ's wholesale club and was told to come back in for a 2nd interview.  I show up to the second interview, took an assessment test, and waited another 30min to see the store manager only for him to tell me he is looking for long-term employees (I clearly stated I wanted a summer job on the application).  So I learned my lesson and decided to apply to Modells sporting goods and not tell them I was going away for school.. Went and got interviewed 2x, took a drug test, went through orientation and all.. A long time goes bye and these people decide to call me a week before I go back to school
laugh.gif
..Yea I dnt have much luck when it comes to this.

QFT.. I am currently 0-5 in my last few interviews since July.  I got interviewed for a position at BJ's wholesale club and was told to come back in for a 2nd interview.  I show up to the second interview, took an assessment test, and waited another 30min to see the store manager only for him to tell me he is looking for long-term employees (I clearly stated I wanted a summer job on the application).  So I learned my lesson and decided to apply to Modells sporting goods and not tell them I was going away for school.. Went and got interviewed 2x, took a drug test, went through orientation and all.. A long time goes bye and these people decide to call me a week before I go back to school
laugh.gif
..Yea I dnt have much luck when it comes to this.

Calling me in for no reason is wasting my time.

Calling me in for no reason is wasting my time.

They're never a waste of time, every interview is an opportunity to practice your interviewing skills.

They're never a waste of time, every interview is an opportunity to practice your interviewing skills.

Thye know in advance who thye want to hire for said positions, they just have to cover themselves and go through the whole process just to protect themselves from any charges brought against them. Plus thye must reach a quota of how many individuals they have interviewd and how many applicants they have looked at.

Thye know in advance who thye want to hire for said positions, they just have to cover themselves and go through the whole process just to protect themselves from any charges brought against them. Plus thye must reach a quota of how many individuals they have interviewd and how many applicants they have looked at.

I worked for paragon sports years ago... dont feel bad about them turning u down... i went on 3 interviews there before i got the job.... its nice cuz u get paid weekly there but only issue is there ALWAYS firing employees.... oh and they DONT contact previous employers so u could have put on ur resume u went to harvard and was jay z bodyguard for a week and they would have just believed u... and paid u well for ur lie LOL....

I worked for paragon sports years ago... dont feel bad about them turning u down... i went on 3 interviews there before i got the job.... its nice cuz u get paid weekly there but only issue is there ALWAYS firing employees.... oh and they DONT contact previous employers so u could have put on ur resume u went to harvard and was jay z bodyguard for a week and they would have just believed u... and paid u well for ur lie LOL....

Originally Posted by mYKiCkZArEaG21

I interviewed with this
pimp.gif
chick named Nalini. Pay was aight and the discount was great...
laugh.gif

I thought i had it since me and her just talked about random tech stuff for almost an hr.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Why bother calling people in if you don't plan on hiring them in the first place?
how do you know this for a fact?
Because i was called in for a drug test? When an employer calls you in for that, 9 times outta 10 you got the job.

Originally Posted by mYKiCkZArEaG21

I interviewed with this
pimp.gif
chick named Nalini. Pay was aight and the discount was great...
laugh.gif

I thought i had it since me and her just talked about random tech stuff for almost an hr.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Why bother calling people in if you don't plan on hiring them in the first place?
how do you know this for a fact?
Because i was called in for a drug test? When an employer calls you in for that, 9 times outta 10 you got the job.

Back
Top Bottom