Why do people act funny, or get offended when you ask them how much they make? Never understood..

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by CrusaderRB32

Dude's mom I know was asked how much she made by a fellow employee. She told her, which caused a big issue because apparently the "asker" was making much less than the number she said. Caused big issues within the business. Moral of the story, keep your finances to yourself FTW.

It's important to know what your peers are making.
Management is always trying to under-compensate. 

But companies should list salary bands so people know what the appropriate salary is for their role. Most companies do allow employees to see the salary ranges, but sometimes you gotta go asking for it.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by CrusaderRB32

Dude's mom I know was asked how much she made by a fellow employee. She told her, which caused a big issue because apparently the "asker" was making much less than the number she said. Caused big issues within the business. Moral of the story, keep your finances to yourself FTW.

It's important to know what your peers are making.
Management is always trying to under-compensate. 

But companies should list salary bands so people know what the appropriate salary is for their role. Most companies do allow employees to see the salary ranges, but sometimes you gotta go asking for it.

Originally Posted by moneymike88

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Originally Posted by undefinedinc

I don't get offended but it is a tacky question to ask in society 

Exactly.  How does it benefit someone by knowing how much someone else makes or what they paid for something?
Many questions get asked by people that don't benefit from them. "How tall are you?" for example
roll.gif
Thats a terrible analogy. If someone asks you your height in person, unless they're blind they have a damn good estimate before they do. Either way, your height isn't information you could keep private even if you wanted to. Its there for the world to see 24/7. Two totally different situations.

Originally Posted by undefinedinc

I don't get offended but it is a tacky question to ask in society 

Exactly.  How does it benefit someone by knowing how much someone else makes or what they paid for something?
Many questions get asked by people that don't benefit from them. "How tall are you?" for example
roll.gif
Thats a terrible analogy. If someone asks you your height in person, unless they're blind they have a damn good estimate before they do. Either way, your height isn't information you could keep private even if you wanted to. Its there for the world to see 24/7. Two totally different situations.

Originally Posted by kidplay

Originally Posted by ipitomi

but what if you are interested in what they do??

like I want to get in the communication field......and if i met someone in the position i want, i would ask how much they make...because i would hate to waste all those years and find out later they only make less than 30K.........but yeah it still is personal question

going into a profession for money is a bad idea. 
No matter how much people front, everything we do in the long run is for money or a better quality of life, it's just a added bonus if you like what you do.

Originally Posted by kidplay

Originally Posted by ipitomi

but what if you are interested in what they do??

like I want to get in the communication field......and if i met someone in the position i want, i would ask how much they make...because i would hate to waste all those years and find out later they only make less than 30K.........but yeah it still is personal question

going into a profession for money is a bad idea. 
No matter how much people front, everything we do in the long run is for money or a better quality of life, it's just a added bonus if you like what you do.

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

roll.gif
By looking at the car(s) someone drives, the clothes they wear, and the place they live in (if available) you can have a damn good estimate of how much they make

roll.gif
By looking at the car(s) someone drives, the clothes they wear, and the place they live in (if available) you can have a damn good estimate of how much they make

roll.gif
No you cant. There are poor people who try and stunt and their are rich people who drive camrys....

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

99% of North Americans life outside their means.
99% huh?

Originally Posted by mases apprentice

Money should be 50% of the reason you go into a profession.
Disagree.

roll.gif
No you cant. There are poor people who try and stunt and their are rich people who drive camrys....

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

99% of North Americans life outside their means.
99% huh?

Originally Posted by mases apprentice

Money should be 50% of the reason you go into a profession.
Disagree.

Word @ trelvis.
and ppl act funny when u ask them how much they make bcuz money to some ppl are a sign of "power" and if u tell sum1 ur 26 making 26K ,they might giggle and take away from ur power

Word @ trelvis.
and ppl act funny when u ask them how much they make bcuz money to some ppl are a sign of "power" and if u tell sum1 ur 26 making 26K ,they might giggle and take away from ur power

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

roll.gif
And there are poor people who drive Camrys and rich people who stunt...

roll.gif

Exactly, so how can you tell how much someone is worth based on their clothes and car? I'll give you house/where they live, cause I feel that is somewhat of a better indicator but still not fool proof.

Exactly, so how can you tell how much someone is worth based on their clothes and car? I'll give you house/where they live, cause I feel that is somewhat of a better indicator but still not fool proof.

Completely false.

People live outside of their means all the time.  Can't estimate @#!! based upon what a person owns.

Unless it's a $300 Ed Hardy t-shirt.  Then you can safely assume that that person is a #*@#%*$%+.

Completely false.

People live outside of their means all the time.  Can't estimate @#!! based upon what a person owns.

Unless it's a $300 Ed Hardy t-shirt.  Then you can safely assume that that person is a #*@#%*$%+.

Its really shouldnt be asked esp. at the work place. The correct question to ask is what field of work and the pay range or starting salary.

Its really shouldnt be asked esp. at the work place. The correct question to ask is what field of work and the pay range or starting salary.

Originally Posted by FDUB

Originally Posted by RawSheed

hiding how much you earn in a relationship seems like a recipe for disaster too though imo. when is it okay to tell?
Good question, but I assume when you are married???
You're going to file taxes together. Any lies will be exposed by H&R block
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom