WHY DO PLAYERS IN THE NBA PLEAD THEIR CASE TO THE REF?

I'm a casual to moderate basketball watcher, and I don't know if I may be slow, but why do players always try to tell their side to the ref?
I have yet to see a ruling overturned, yet without fail whenever someone gets a foul called on them they run up to the ref and start whining.
Someone please enlighten me.

so the ref might make a different call next time there's a similar situation

2hn4z9c.jpg

because the majority of them are babies, and if a call goes against them it usually makes them look stupid in some way, shape, or form. so they gotta showeveryone that it was the ref's fault not theirs.

it really has nothing to do with over turning the call, but more so to do with how the ref might call something later in the game.

they need to bring back the auto technical for the whining

they also need better refs who don't blow every other call.

IMO, some NBA players are pu****s compared to most professional athletes in other sports, or most basketball players in general. Theyseem to whine, moan, & complain a lot through-out games and when they're fouled too. I mean, I played Varsity B-ball last year, so I'm speakingfirst hand when I've seen whining and all that. I also played Varsity football, and the attitude/reactions were very different when players would get hurtcompared to basketball players. Especially on a hard foul, b-ball players would usually exaggerate their reactions/injuries. I know it maybe strategic in asense to sell the foul, but they're only making themselves look soft. Dwyane Wade's an exception! He plays hard. But in general...

because NBA referees have been the worst officials in all of sports for decades (although the NFL refs are giving them a run for their money). They constantlyguess and assume fouls and violations.

Because it changes future decisions.

The NBA has the worst officiating in any of the major sports.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

I'm a casual to moderate basketball watcher, and I don't know if I may be slow, but why do players always try to tell their side to the ref?
I have yet to see a ruling overturned, yet without fail whenever someone gets a foul called on them they run up to the ref and start whining.
because it's an emotional game and players are not robots. it would be boring if we just see players playing like robots without emotion. IMOplayer complaining, coach getting tossed, fighting between players, body languages, technical fouls, etc are all part of this sport. It bring the intensityand the emotion to this competitive sport.

Originally Posted by OriginalJS

IMO, some NBA players are pu****s compared to most professional athletes in other sports, or most basketball players in general. They seem to whine, moan, & complain a lot through-out games and when they're fouled too. I mean, I played Varsity B-ball last year, so I'm speaking first hand when I've seen whining and all that. I also played Varsity football, and the attitude/reactions were very different when players would get hurt compared to basketball players. Especially on a hard foul, b-ball players would usually exaggerate their reactions/injuries. I know it maybe strategic in a sense to sell the foul, but they're only making themselves look soft. Dwyane Wade's an exception! He plays hard. But in general...
You messed up your case with that one, G
laugh.gif

IMO, some NBA players are pu****s compared to most professional athletes in other sports, or most basketball players in general. They seem to whine, moan, & complain a lot through-out games and when they're fouled too. I mean, I played Varsity B-ball last year, so I'm speaking first hand when I've seen whining and all that. I also played Varsity football, and the attitude/reactions were very different when players would get hurt compared to basketball players. Especially on a hard foul, b-ball players would usually exaggerate their reactions/injuries. I know it maybe strategic in a sense to sell the foul, but they're only making themselves look soft. Dwyane Wade's an exception! He plays hard. But in general...
I dont know, it seems like anytime there's any contact between a corner and a wide out, someone is always callin for a flag

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

tired.gif
I don't know dude you may be slow. You seriouslycouldn't figure this out? I hope you're intention was simply to point out that NBA players are cry babies.

eddiehouse5:
they need to bring back the auto technical for the whining
I think they have something like that in hockey. I would LOOOVE to see it in the NBA.
eddiehouse5:
they also need better refs who don't blow every other call.
Yep.
SoHi:
The NBA has the worst officiating in any of the major sports.
Yep.

get off dwyane's wang.
it's to show their emotion and to make sure the ref sees what the player is talking about in a similar call.

ex - player a keeps pushing in the back of player b in getting rebound.
no call.
player b complains to ref so he can keep an eye on it next possession.

its the same way baseball players talk to the umps after they strike out. Alot of them will strike out swinging and ask if the pitch was a strike or ball ifthey didnt swing. Its just an understanding to what and why ref make the calls they do

Egos.

We know the superstar players who will stop and whine, or give a look, or flail their hands in the air after every shot they miss in the lane. It's oftenfunny to watch on TV because you know it's coming after every single miss.

Regardless if they have valid points they look stupid when they are the 10th man up the floor going back the other way every time.

Originally Posted by D723

You messed up your case with that one, G
laugh.gif

i agreed with every word you were saying then i saw d.wades name being an exception then i stopped reading
laugh.gif

so the ref might make a different call next time there's a similar situation

co-sign
pimp.gif

So they can get the next one...

D. Wade is the exception? (buddy love) AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! (buddy love)

how many times have you played pick up basketball and complained when the guy you are guarding calls "foul" and you thought it was the silliest thingever?? AND pick up games don't mean crap anyway. Winning doesn't get you anything except maybe another game.

for those guys, egos, trying to get calls in their favor later in the game, pride, etc... all reasons to complain. and for them, wins do mean something. Ifsome of us do it on the recreational level (granted we dont take it to the next level as often as the pros do), then we should expect to see it at the prolevel for sure. It's all part of the game man.

Back
Top Bottom