Why Do We Still Have Black History Month????

In one of my courses today, we spent a significant amount of time talking about the importance of Black Americans in United States History and this got me thinking.

Some of the topics that were covered could have been covered on any other day of the year, but for some reason, teachers and professors at all levels feel the need to show us how important these people really are only during a 4 week period.

Is there a specific reason why we still need to celebrate this 'holiday'?

In 2012, you would think that we could drop all these titles and just celebrate "American History."

How you do you guys feel about this?

Let's keep discussion mature.

Because it needs to be around for the younger generations and shouldnt go anywhere. If you think you're too old for it thats understandable but the kids need it

If we get rid of that, you could push to get rid of History class in general, cause everyones tired of something. Every history class I've been in mentions both World Wars I'm sure people got tired of hearing about it. Or how every history textbook, no matter where it starts ends up in America.

We're 4 decades removed from segregated schools, blatant and open racism, lynchings etc...

People really seem to forget that it hasn't been that long.

It is a bit overdone but you seriously think blacks are represented accurately/fairly/proportionately in American History?

How many people heard of John Hanson or Benjamin Banneker's influence on the nations capital.

Originally Posted by AceBoogie

We're 4 decades removed from segregated schools, blatant and open racism, lynchings etc...

removed you say?

AceBoogie wrote:

This! Plus racism is still very present in today's society. If you dont believe me, read the comments on any yahoo article that features an African American, its pretty harsh some of the things people say.

Because like any great nation Slave history is of great importance to the nations history. Its just only blacks were the slaves so we are reminding new generations of a section in history that lead to the country

o9irye.png

This country was built by african Americans, literally. People seem to forget that for some reason. 40 years ago was not that long ago to think we can just "move on". How about we go ahead and stop; Columbus day, presidents day, veterans day and all the other meaningless holidays since we're so tired of hearing about it.

No matter where this thread goes, the holiday is not getting removed..../THREAD

You do realize only 27 states of the 50 states recognized MLK day as a federal holiday in its first year of inception back in 1986? There is still a need for education for what this country was founded on and its deep seeded roots.

Originally Posted by jhobson5

AceBoogie wrote:

This! Plus racism is still very present in today's society. If you dont believe me, read the comments on any yahoo article that features an African American, its pretty harsh some of the things people say.
Either that or play a game of COD and see how many times you hear the Nword. 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by cartune

Originally Posted by AceBoogie

removed you say?
laugh.gif
...Exactly.
Strom Thurmond died like what...3-4 years ago? 
roll.gif

We have congressmen/women that think Civil Rights bills are unethical and unconstitutional. 
roll.gif

Your parents can still remember when they were children and lived through this stuff...its NOT that long ago.

Ya'll act like just because 100/1000 NBA/NFL players a year and a handful of black actors/entertainers are making headlines that the rest of us are doing so well? 
roll.gif

This isn't like asking why we do we still duel for the right to marry fair maidens... 
roll.gif

Ask me again in 200 years OP. 
laugh.gif

All good points. I'm half black for the record...

But my thing is, we change editions of textbooks seemingly every year now. Why can't they just spread the diversity in each chapter... It's only an excuse to not address the our history in every other month of the year. I just don't like how most people don't realize this is AMERICAN HISTORY.... not "Black History."  Another way of separating us from the rest.

I understand how important the history of African-Americans have been, but I don't believe that the history should only be taught during a month, the shortest month of the year I might add...
eyes.gif

dude, in a perfect world we would have things like "American History" and no need for black and minority clubs on college campuses. But its not that kinda place.

Originally Posted by blakep267

dude, in a perfect world we would have things like "American History" and no need for black and minority clubs on college campuses. But its not that kinda place.

So you're saying we should not work towards these goals?

We should just accept things the way they are and not change?

As a matter of fact, the fact that you made this thread goes to show why we need to have this holiday. For the people who are uninformed on the importance of what our ancestors accomplished and the luxuries that you enjoy today.
Do some research on the great inventions made by African Americans and compare that to what you enjoy and take forgranted today.

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

Originally Posted by blakep267

So you're saying we should not work towards these goals?

We should just accept things the way they are and not change?

Im not saying we shouldnt work towards them. but realistically its not really going to happen anytime soon.

Originally Posted by Mac4167

As a matter of fact, the fact that you made this thread goes to show why we need to have this holiday. For the people who are uninformed on the importance of what our ancestors accomplished and the luxuries that you enjoy today.
Do some research on the great inventions made by African Americans and compare that to what you enjoy and take forgranted today.
Are you serious bro????
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Because I think that all people should be treated equal and fairly, I'm uninformed on the importance of our Ancestors? FOH!

All good points. I'm half black for the record...

But my thing is, we change editions of textbooks seemingly every year now. Why can't they just spread the diversity in each chapter... It's only an excuse to not address the our history in every other month of the year. I just don't like how most people don't realize this is AMERICAN HISTORY.... not "Black History."  Another way of separating us from the rest.

I understand how important the history of African-Americans have been, but I don't believe that the history should only be taught during a month, the shortest month of the year I might add...
eyes.gif
If this was your initial post I think most people would have been more in line. I do agree that African American history needs to be integrated into normal teachings through out the year, but the thing is that even with a whole month to focus on black history, it is still glanced over and not really celebrated. McDonalds is the only major corporation that will probably make mention of it in a commercial. Other than that you wouldnt know it was actually BHM. So imagine if African American contributions were integrated into everyday teachings and text. I think the importance of it would be lost on most youth. 

We need to continue to have black history month as we know it as rememberance for the contributions black people have given to this country and different things we have and still currently go threw.  They just tried to erase slavery from school books and teachings in Tennessee just last month. 

Are you serious bro????
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Because I think that all people should be treated equal and fairly, I'm uninformed on the importance of our Ancestors? FOH!

I'm sorry bruh, I was not aware that Morgan freeman was the spokesman for all black people, sorry bruh

Question for my white NTers

How did or do you feel in school when black history month came around? Did you gain or lose interest in the black history being taught? Just curious

Are you serious bro????
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I'm sorry bruh, I was not aware that Morgan freeman was the spokesman for all black people, sorry bruh
Don't make a stupid comment that has nothing to do with the point I am making, I actually share the same sentiment as him...

It seems as if I'm outnumbered on this issue which is cool, because all people are entitled to their own opinions. We need to teach this type of history because we WANT to, not because we're FORCED to do so for 28 days.

It's gonna take more than a token month to make us totally aware of the contributions Black Americans have had on this country.

Back
Top Bottom