Why do you believe that there is a god?

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by sillyputty

You actually did not.

I disagree with your beliefs. You're taking it seriously. 

You have not proven your substantiation and thus have no reason to assert that a god exists. 

Also saying "i have my own beliefs and I choose to keep them to myself" isn't helping you. You're clearly in here posting responses. Additionally you're responding to me. And finally it doesn't matter what your beliefs are. If they are wrong or at least inaccurate then you are WILLFULLY ignorant if you refuse to gain additional understanding. You have already been shown that your thoughts are inconsistent and yet you take offense to it. Its not my problem that your god concept doesn't stand up on its own. 

If no one stated what they believed in was "correct" then WHY BELIEVE IT? You're not making any sense dude. 

Using this "well everyone is free to think what they want" phrase always irks me. It makes no sense. You should only follow what makes sense and what there is evidence for. Your god concept doesnt make sense. It can't even be universally applied. That alone speaks to its validity. I could say that black people are genetically more stupid than white people and as soon as you ask me for evidence I can run and claim that "i don't have to explain myself to you" because I just "believe it". You would find that to be a preposterous claim yet when it comes to religion people overlook the same logic they use to understand the world and ignore the inconsistencies of their arguments. Your responses right now are falling in that same category.

I KNOW religion isn't limited to the ones I know of...but guess what, THATS WHY I DONT FOLLOW ANY OF THEM. None of them can claim to be the absolute truth because none of them are true! Additionally how can there be 1000 different "absolute truths" about the same thing? If one is wrong then they're all wrong. And since you discredit all the others, whats the matter if I discredit yours? 

You're an atheist with regards to the other 9999 gods out there. I take it one further and discount yours. 

I don't "decide how I feel" that things are. I go off the evidence. I don't believe in anything that doesn't have substantial and consistent evidence. I actually care if i'm right or wrong and I spend a great deal of time trying to learn new things. 

Spirituality is a crock. Its collective wishful thinking. Guess what, you may pray tonight but you know what? You'll still get up the following morning and work your tail off because you know hard work is the only thing you have to move forward in the world. 
Well first of all stop typing in big block font like you're proving anything, which of course you haven't because your "religion is personal" well if its personal understand that and stop making it seem like its real. If you had proof you would have shown it already. You can't prove your god or any proof because there is none. You just believe what you want to believe. 
I'm not trying to change your mind. I don't care if you walk away and become a nun or a monk or whatever.  I'm addressing the inconsistencies in your arguments. The same arguments you seem so keen on NOT making.

Stop lying and saying "stop attacking me" "they're my beliefs" "respect my thoughts"...no.

I don't have to. You make claims with NO proof or evidence. Yet i'm supposed to believe you? Why should I do that? Thats the point. You are free to say ANYTHING and think you're free from explaining things. Thats just not true.

You believe in a god. I ask why. You say "because I do"...thats not a good reason bro. I ask where your evidence is. You say I don't have to show any. Well why do you believe? Because I want to. ...HUH???

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -- Carl Sagan

I take all of my arguments seriously. Don't act like you aren't taking this seriously. Are you just participating in a debate over religion cause you're bored at 10 AM?

When I first posted in this thread, I said I would not argue or defend what I believed in. I clearly went against my own words and I'd like to stick to what I originally wrote.

I'm going to leave this argument. You win this one. But I have one last question.

If you believe in what you believe in, why waste time on me? Or anyone else who believes in God? I don't mean this as a defense, but I'd like to know why you want to prove me wrong. I'm no one. My logic is flawed, my beliefs are a lie, so why waste time with me? If we're all going to die and we're all going to stay dead, why not let me live in blind ignorance until the day we both die? If you believe what you believe in, why try and prove everyone wrong? Let them be wrong, as long as you know what you know, it's all good. If you know the truth and I only know lies, why not leave me alone and let me find out when the time comes?
never understood, esp on NT, why people even give a !$#* about who believes what in regards to religion
same could be said for sexual orientation, or why i like this team and why yours sucks
then to tell someone that what they believe is wrong and blah blah blah, get the !$#* outa here with that
we dont care wat u believe sillyputty...u tryin too hard

Originally Posted by iamsaikotic

Originally Posted by iamsaikotic

Your comic strip doesn't make sense.

I believe not to receive or gain anything. I believe because of faith. Nothing more, nothing less.

You haven't addressed my other point. If you're right, you're content with oblivion? What are you living for?
Faith is the belief in the lack of�evidence.
Thats DANGEROUS and makes NO sense. You're technically free to believe in unicorns and leprechauns at that point.�

Additionally why do you think there is "oblivion" ? You were TAUGHT that... Thats not an inherent thought. There is no evidence for hell. In fact most concepts of hell arose from popular writers like Dante in the middle ages. Additionally the whole fire and brimstone act includes phrases started in the tent revivals of the middle of the 19th century. Its all a sham and you are falling into the trap. Do your history and ask yourself, WHY DO I BELIEVE WHAT I BELIEVE?�

Take time to validate your own thoughts.�
You may be able to turn simpletons away from faith by TYPING IN UPPER CASE, but fact is faith is a real thing. Faith can't be comprehended by all people, and I'm fine with that. You're the only one trying to instill your own beliefs into someone else. If you want to make comparisons you're like the hypebeast who criticizes someone else's clothes because they're not the hottest thing. There's a reason why religion has been around for as long as it has been and as for this strong argumentative belief in atheism, one can't say the same.
if faith can't be comprehended by all people then its not a universal concept. Its just something transient and you shouldn't say its a real thing then. It clearly isn't.
The fact that I don't have faith your god should show you how invalid the entire concept is. 

I'm not trying to instill my beliefs. I really am not. I'm asking what reasons people have for doing things. There clearly isn't a good one so WHY do it? 

BTW, atheism has been rising for centuries. Remember, it used to be illegal to be anything but a christian for much of this world's history. And islam has adopted that same concept. There have always been atheists. Just like there have always been gay people. There have always been those who didn't fall into the trap of mental security in belief in some sky daddy.

Also your argument is flawed. Religion may have been around for a while but you are neglecting the fact that the SAME religions haven't been around. In fact there are thousands of religions. 

BTW, its not a BELIEF in atheism. Atheism is the lack of belief. A= Lack; Theism=God/religion. Thats it. Thats part of the reason I hate the word. What do you call someone who doesn't collect stamps? Or doesn't play sports? Atheism shouldn't exist as a word. I just don't believe in any gods. Thats not a belief. You BELIEVE. Not me. The basal stance is to be convinced of an argument. That is you, not me. 

Originally Posted by moundraised23

You actually did not.

You have not proven your substantiation and thus have no reason to assert that a god exists. 

Also saying "i have my own beliefs and I choose to keep them to myself" isn't helping you. You're clearly in here posting responses. Additionally you're responding to me. And finally it doesn't matter what your beliefs are. If they are wrong or at least inaccurate then you are WILLFULLY ignorant if you refuse to gain additional understanding. You have already been shown that your thoughts are inconsistent and yet you take offense to it. Its not my problem that your god concept doesn't stand up on its own. 

If no one stated what they believed in was "correct" then WHY BELIEVE IT? You're not making any sense dude. 

Using this "well everyone is free to think what they want" phrase always irks me. It makes no sense. You should only follow what makes sense and what there is evidence for. Your god concept doesnt make sense. It can't even be universally applied. That alone speaks to its validity. I could say that black people are genetically more stupid than white people and as soon as you ask me for evidence I can run and claim that "i don't have to explain myself to you" because I just "believe it". You would find that to be a preposterous claim yet when it comes to religion people overlook the same logic they use to understand the world and ignore the inconsistencies of their arguments. Your responses right now are falling in that same category.

I KNOW religion isn't limited to the ones I know of...but guess what, THATS WHY I DONT FOLLOW ANY OF THEM. None of them can claim to be the absolute truth because none of them are true! Additionally how can there be 1000 different "absolute truths" about the same thing? If one is wrong then they're all wrong. And since you discredit all the others, whats the matter if I discredit yours? 

You're an atheist with regards to the other 9999 gods out there. I take it one further and discount yours. 

I don't "decide how I feel" that things are. I go off the evidence. I don't believe in anything that doesn't have substantial and consistent evidence. I actually care if i'm right or wrong and I spend a great deal of time trying to learn new things. 

Spirituality is a crock. Its collective wishful thinking. Guess what, you may pray tonight but you know what? You'll still get up the following morning and work your tail off because you know hard work is the only thing you have to move forward in the world. 
Well first of all stop typing in big block font like you're proving anything, which of course you haven't because your "religion is personal" well if its personal understand that and stop making it seem like its real. If you had proof you would have shown it already. You can't prove your god or any proof because there is none. You just believe what you want to believe. 
I'm not trying to change your mind. I don't care if you walk away and become a nun or a monk or whatever.  I'm addressing the inconsistencies in your arguments. The same arguments you seem so keen on NOT making.

Stop lying and saying "stop attacking me" "they're my beliefs" "respect my thoughts"...no.

I don't have to. You make claims with NO proof or evidence. Yet i'm supposed to believe you? Why should I do that? Thats the point. You are free to say ANYTHING and think you're free from explaining things. Thats just not true.

You believe in a god. I ask why. You say "because I do"...thats not a good reason bro. I ask where your evidence is. You say I don't have to show any. Well why do you believe? Because I want to. ...HUH???

I take all of my arguments seriously. Don't act like you aren't taking this seriously. Are you just participating in a debate over religion cause you're bored at 10 AM?

When I first posted in this thread, I said I would not argue or defend what I believed in. I clearly went against my own words and I'd like to stick to what I originally wrote.

I'm going to leave this argument. You win this one. But I have one last question.

If you believe in what you believe in, why waste time on me? Or anyone else who believes in God? I don't mean this as a defense, but I'd like to know why you want to prove me wrong. I'm no one. My logic is flawed, my beliefs are a lie, so why waste time with me? If we're all going to die and we're all going to stay dead, why not let me live in blind ignorance until the day we both die? If you believe what you believe in, why try and prove everyone wrong? Let them be wrong, as long as you know what you know, it's all good. If you know the truth and I only know lies, why not leave me alone and let me find out when the time comes?
never understood, esp on NT, why people even give a !$#* about who believes what in regards to religion
same could be said for sexual orientation, or why i like this team and why yours sucks
then to tell someone that what they believe is wrong and blah blah blah, get the !$#* outa here with that

If your belief has holes in it and I point them out then its my fault? 

Shouldn't you have reconciled those gaping holes in logic before you decided to subscribe to it? Don't blame me for exposing what you've been trying to cover up or overlooked. Thats not my problem.

All this nonsense of a reply aside you've made,
did you read the title of the thread?

[h3]Why do you believe that there is a god?[/h3]

Thats it homeboy. 

You actually did not.

Yeah, man. Let's all stop caring about what anyone says or does or values. Let's stop talking about ideas. Then we can really get down to the important stuff.

I believe in God because to me it makes more sense then anything else. I don't believe the universe and the world could exist in any other way other than a deity putting it here. I also don't believe any normal humans could have possibly written the Bible with all its complexities, and how so many things we can observe match up with it. Finally, if what it says is true and the only way to Heaven is by believing in Jesus then why wouldn't I? And if the Bible is wrong then at least I follow Christian virtues and morals and am living a fairly good life.

Originally Posted by Kramer

I believe in God because to me it makes more sense then anything else. I don't believe the universe and the world could exist in any other way other than a deity putting it here. I also don't believe any normal humans could have possibly written the Bible with all its complexities, and how so many things we can observe match up with it. [h3]Finally, if what it says is true and the only way to Heaven is by believing in Jesus then why wouldn't I?[/h3] And if the Bible is wrong then at least I follow Christian virtues and morals and am living a fairly good life.

Don't you think an all seeing being could read your intentions that you're only believing something to reap the benefits of doing so and not because you actually believe it? When you say "I might as well believe..." you're not actually believing. You're pretending to believe.

What do I believe in? 
Nothing. 

I don't believe in anything.

I support notions based on evidence that substantiates claim.

Belief is a dangerous word. It asserts that you can just support an idea for no reason. 

I've read more about religion than most people, not that such a thing should impress you, but I know more about the history of various religions and the claims they assert to know that they are all lies. All of them. 

We are going to die. 

thats it. 

We make up coping mechanisms to deal with the fact. We create gods and afterlives and 

Why won't I let you off the hook? Because you wont let yourself off. I don't care what you believe but don't cross my path with things that dont make sense. Lets be honest, if you learned about the concept of "god" for the VERY first time as a 21 year old you would look at that person like 
roll.gif
 and just walk off. None of it makes sense...especially in the concept of religion.

I don't like seeing people waste their time. Imagine if all the effort we spend on praying and religion, if we spend on science and developing new ways of understanding physics and solving the worlds engineering problems? What if we tried to develop more modern ethical systems and understandings of morality? What if we tried to explore the cosmos even more? 

Why waste your time on a lie? You don't lose sleep over hinduism, islam, or wiccans. Why lose sleep over YOUR god? Thats the point. 

I don't have all the answers but to insert "god" into it doesn't solve anything. It doesn't bring us any closer to understanding that much more about the lives we live and the world we live in or the universe beyond that. 

Whats more is that YOU KNOW THIS. You don't implore that sort of logic ANYWHERE ELSE. You still look both ways before crossing the street, you're skeptical of emails from nigerian princes, you still study very hard for exams, you still hit the gym, you still treat other people courteously, you still seek for new ways to learn and do things...all in spite of prayer. You don't need to believe in a god to be a good person. You don't need to believe in a god to learn more. The "god" thing is a dying way to understand the world. For the most part we have moved beyond that as a society. Its still clinging on because it has power. Thats to be expected but they know what time it is. People are becoming more educated and simply losing faith in a system that they KNOW is illogical. 

Let me just say that I understand what you are saying. I can see it from your point of view. So it's not like I think you're illogical or just blindly against religion.

I take it from your post that you dislike religion because you feel it is a waste of time and that the time and effort used on religion could be used to further humanity and society.

I will tell you right now, that my belief is not one that requires a lot of time or effort. I chose it for myself. I don't go to a church/temple/synagogue, or do anything abnormal because of my beliefs. I simply spend some time every night to reflect and thank God for giving me a day to live, people to interact with and lessons to learn. I don't attend religious classes, participate in discussions (this is probably my only one) or donate any money to religious affiliates. Some people might spend a lot of time and effort on religion, I do not. It's not to say I don't care, but I don't have a huge chunk of my life set aside for it.

But with that said, your issue shouldn't be with religion, it should be with wasted time. If you are going to call out religious people for wasting time, then why not call out everyone who wastes time? People who watch TV, people who idolize celebrities, people who play sports, people who write music, those who buy fancy clothes... are those people wasting time? What do you do in your life? Do you do anything that could be considered wasting time? Why are you on the internet arguing with us, when you should be out in the world developing it? You're wasting your own time telling us we're wasting time.

Originally Posted by Hizzle

Yeah, man. Let's all stop caring about what anyone says or does or values. Let's stop talking about ideas. Then we can really get down to the important stuff.
Yeah then we can just talk about Kim Kardashians wedding and when the new season of basketball wives comes on. 
Or we can ignore how people are praying for rain in texas when we killed off millions of native americans for doing the same thing

Then we can finally focus on how to mod our android devices. 

I'll do it like this.....the reason you or anyone else believes there is NOT a God is because you're under the false assumption that God is separate from you and for whatever reason do not want to feel obligated to follow his "law" or be subject to his mercy. you don't want to feel like you're under his control or that you're going to go to hell for doing something he doesn't like. you're looking at all the cons of there being a God because of the holy rollers that look down on you for being horny or eating pork or whatever. if you were to understand that you are God you wouldn't be so insecure about his (your...) existence and would accept that the presence of God is only a benefit to you with absolutely no negative aspects.

and for anyone who wants to bring up something like science> God understand that science is literally ******ed by definition

re·tard   [ri-tahrd, for 1–3, 5; ree-tahrd for 4]  

verb (used without object)

to be delayed. 

it's basically the process of attempting to explain through words and logic what has already been in existence since the beginning of time....and in reality it has probably explained less than 0.00001% of the infinite universe. science says that junk food doesn't cause acne because they have yet to find the link that supports that claim with some type of physical evidence. science is just now understanding the legitimacy of concepts like "faith" and "prayer" in fields like metaphysics....concepts that spiritual people have known on a spiritual level for what seems like forever. science is the guy that gets the joke once everyone is done laughing. not to knock science but it is what it is. the problem is that people go to the "temple" looking for God when God is already inside the temple on that big head of yours. trying to deny God is an exercise in futility in the same way that trying to deny gravity or oxygen or anything that has already been scientifically explained, accepted and understood. I believe in this lifetime science will finally catch up and codify God and the nonbelievers will be able to "know" what the believers already "feel". soon you'll understand 

I believe in God because to me it makes more sense then anything else. I don't believe the universe and the world could exist in any other way other than a deity putting it here. I also don't believe any normal humans could have possibly written the Bible with all its complexities, and how so many things we can observe match up with it. Finally, if what it says is true and the only way to Heaven is by believing in Jesus then why wouldn't I? And if the Bible is wrong then at least I follow Christian virtues and morals and am living a fairly good life.

Christian virtues and morals are shaped by a secular understanding of tolerance for the beliefs of others. Before the influence of and respect for minority rights, Christians used to murder, silence, and marginalize those who were not like them. Islam is currently doing the same thing. 

You choose to follow one religion but ignore all the others. If you know why you ignore all the others you know why I ignore yours. You are choosing to overlook your inconsistencies because it benefits you.

Thats just rampant narcissism. 

Originally Posted by Hizzle

I believe in God because to me it makes more sense then anything else. I don't believe the universe and the world could exist in any other way other than a deity putting it here. I also don't believe any normal humans could have possibly written the Bible with all its complexities, and how so many things we can observe match up with it.[h3]Finally, if what it says is true and the only way to Heaven is by believing in Jesus then why wouldn't I?[/h3]And if the Bible is wrong then at least I follow Christian virtues and morals and am living a fairly good life.

Don't you think an all seeing being could read your intentions that you're only believing something to reap the benefits of doing so and not because you actually believe it? When you say "I might as well believe..." you're not actually believing. You're pretending to believe.
Bingo. 

sillyputty with the guns
pimp.gif

i wonder if anyone has actually dropped their beliefs after reading any of these threads...all 100 million of them

What do I believe in? 
Nothing. 

I don't believe in anything.

I support notions based on evidence that substantiates claim.

Belief is a dangerous word. It asserts that you can just support an idea for no reason. 

I've read more about religion than most people, not that such a thing should impress you, but I know more about the history of various religions and the claims they assert to know that they are all lies. All of them. 

We are going to die. 

thats it. 

We make up coping mechanisms to deal with the fact. We create gods and afterlives and 

Why won't I let you off the hook? Because you wont let yourself off. I don't care what you believe but don't cross my path with things that dont make sense. Lets be honest, if you learned about the concept of "god" for the VERY first time as a 21 year old you would look at that person like 
roll.gif
 and just walk off. None of it makes sense...especially in the concept of religion.

I don't like seeing people waste their time. Imagine if all the effort we spend on praying and religion, if we spend on science and developing new ways of understanding physics and solving the worlds engineering problems? What if we tried to develop more modern ethical systems and understandings of morality? What if we tried to explore the cosmos even more? 

Why waste your time on a lie? You don't lose sleep over hinduism, islam, or wiccans. Why lose sleep over YOUR god? Thats the point. 

I don't have all the answers but to insert "god" into it doesn't solve anything. It doesn't bring us any closer to understanding that much more about the lives we live and the world we live in or the universe beyond that. 

Whats more is that YOU KNOW THIS. You don't implore that sort of logic ANYWHERE ELSE. You still look both ways before crossing the street, you're skeptical of emails from nigerian princes, you still study very hard for exams, you still hit the gym, you still treat other people courteously, you still seek for new ways to learn and do things...all in spite of prayer. You don't need to believe in a god to be a good person. You don't need to believe in a god to learn more. The "god" thing is a dying way to understand the world. For the most part we have moved beyond that as a society. Its still clinging on because it has power. Thats to be expected but they know what time it is. People are becoming more educated and simply losing faith in a system that they KNOW is illogical. 

Let me just say that I understand what you are saying. I can see it from your point of view. So it's not like I think you're illogical or just blindly against religion.

I take it from your post that you dislike religion because you feel it is a waste of time and that the time and effort used on religion could be used to further humanity and society.

I will tell you right now, that my belief is not one that requires a lot of time or effort. I chose it for myself. I don't go to a church/temple/synagogue, or do anything abnormal because of my beliefs. I simply spend some time every night to reflect and thank God for giving me a day to live, people to interact with and lessons to learn. I don't attend religious classes, participate in discussions (this is probably my only one) or donate any money to religious affiliates. Some people might spend a lot of time and effort on religion, I do not. It's not to say I don't care, but I don't have a huge chunk of my life set aside for it.

But with that said, your issue shouldn't be with religion, it should be with wasted time. If you are going to call out religious people for wasting time, then why not call out everyone who wastes time? People who watch TV, people who idolize celebrities, people who play sports, people who write music, those who buy fancy clothes... are those people wasting time? What do you do in your life? Do you do anything that could be considered wasting time? Why are you on the internet arguing with us, when you should be out in the world developing it? You're wasting your own time telling us we're wasting time.
I'm going to have to switch to using colors...its getting too complicated to keep quoting separate paragraphs.

Well thank you.
Yep.

Why don't you just admit that your religion is just something YOU MADE UP then? Just say so. You make your own rules and follow them yet act like everyone else does exactly what you do. Especially if you devote your whole life to something, shouldn't you see if its worth following or if it even makes sense? You know i'm being consistent and rational here yet you're choosing to overlook all of that for no reason at all. Saying others spend more time on religion...doesn't it mean that they're better religious people that you are? If its something so universal and apparent, why wouldn't you devote everything to it? Doesn't that just highlight the invalidity of the whole thing? Be honest here dude. You're not an honest believer. You believe because you want some reward out of it. You want to belong to something that other people do. Its about the group mentality. You don't need religion or faith or any spiritual component to be a good productive member of society. 

Now you're deflecting. We're clearly talking about religion. Saying "why not talk about other things" doesn't answer those questions. You're right, I could be talking about other things, but you made the topic and yet youre not happy with my response. Tough. The topic here is religion. Additionally I do try to do my part. I promote scientific agendas and things that employ the use of evidence to further their claims. I hope to be a professional in the medical field as well. I am trying to do my part to advance society as far as I can. Assessing my contribution to society STILL doesn't prove that there is a god though. Keep your arguments in order. 

Furthermore, why on earth did you make this topic as a "believer" if you already believed? 

Aren't you secure in your "faith"? or are the inconsistencies piling up?

Is the sheer logic that you employ failing you? 

Are the contradictions in religious texts and the actions of religious people confusing you? 

Maybe it should. Because its all a house of cards built on the lack of knowledge and the lack of logic and rational consistent thought. That alone speaks for itself...

I'm blessed beyond science, karma, and/or coincidence.
I feel his presence.
Yes, I do communicate with him.

Instead of asking us, a sneaker board, why dont you research yourself? Obviously the people who believe in God dont need the answers youre wanting for you to believe in God.

I have researched for myself and as far as I am concerned, I have witnessed enough to believe that there is a God.

sillyputty is a perfect human being!

let's all go ahead and be atheists so we can be perfect like him!

Originally Posted by logbi

sillyputty is a perfect human being!

let's all go ahead and be atheists so we can be perfect like him!
Now you're deflecting because you're offended.
I'm not perfect.
Not by any means. 

But lets be honest, there is no point in suggesting arguments that don't make sense.

I don't have all the answers but if you're going to say you do when you clearly don't, you're no better than anyone else. 

Saying illogical statements with no evidence doesn't make you a good or bad person. It just makes you someone that makes poor arguments. 

Originally Posted by man listen

I'll do it like this.....the reason you or anyone else believes there is NOT a God is because you're under the false assumption that God is separate from you and for whatever reason do not want to feel obligated to follow his "law" or be subject to his mercy. you don't want to feel like you're under his control or that you're going to go to hell for doing something he doesn't like. you're looking at all the cons of there being a God because of the holy rollers that look down on you for being horny or eating pork or whatever. if you were to understand that you are God you wouldn't be so insecure about his (your...) existence and would accept that the presence of God is only a benefit to you with absolutely no negative aspects.

and for anyone who wants to bring up something like science> God understand that science is literally ******ed by definition

re·tard   [ri-tahrd, for 1–3, 5; ree-tahrd for 4]  

verb (used without object)

to be delayed. 
it's basically the process of attempting to explain through words and logic what has already been in existence since the beginning of time....and in reality it has probably explained less than 0.00001% of the infinite universe. science says that junk food doesn't cause acne because they have yet to find the link that supports that claim with some type of physical evidence. science is just now understanding the legitimacy of concepts like "faith" and "prayer" in fields like metaphysics....concepts that spiritual people have known on a spiritual level for what seems like forever. science is the guy that gets the joke once everyone is done laughing. not to knock science but it is what it is. the problem is that people go to the "temple" looking for God when God is already inside the temple on that big head of yours. trying to deny God is an exercise in futility in the same way that trying to deny gravity or oxygen or anything that has already been scientifically explained, accepted and understood. I believe in this lifetime science will finally catch up and codify God and the nonbelievers will be able to "know" what the believers already "feel". soon you'll understand 

You're a propagator of pseudoscience.
Do you know what they call alternative medicine that works? MEDICINE! 
roll.gif

So basically, god exists because you say it does.
BTW, metaphysics is illegitimate. 

I won't post it here because it has a curse word in it but PLEASE watch the cartoon by Tim Minchin called "Storm".

Its on YouTube and will be a delightful watch. its only a few minutes. I wouldn't lie to you. Its worth it. 

Check that out and let me know what you think. I'm being serious. 

sillyputty.. what is the difference between your faith in science and another's faith in God?

I'm going to have to switch to using colors...its getting too complicated to keep quoting separate paragraphs.

Well thank you.
Yep.

Why don't you just admit that your religion is just something YOU MADE UP then? Just say so. You make your own rules and follow them yet act like everyone else does exactly what you do. Especially if you devote your whole life to something, shouldn't you see if its worth following or if it even makes sense? You know i'm being consistent and rational here yet you're choosing to overlook all of that for no reason at all. Saying others spend more time on religion...doesn't it mean that they're better religious people that you are? If its something so universal and apparent, why wouldn't you devote everything to it? Doesn't that just highlight the invalidity of the whole thing? Be honest here dude. You're not an honest believer. You believe because you want some reward out of it. You want to belong to something that other people do. Its about the group mentality. You don't need religion or faith or any spiritual component to be a good productive member of society. 

Now you're deflecting. We're clearly talking about religion. Saying "why not talk about other things" doesn't answer those questions. You're right, I could be talking about other things, but you made the topic and yet youre not happy with my response. Tough. The topic here is religion. Additionally I do try to do my part. I promote scientific agendas and things that employ the use of evidence to further their claims. I hope to be a professional in the medical field as well. I am trying to do my part to advance society as far as I can. Assessing my contribution to society STILL doesn't prove that there is a god though. Keep your arguments in order. 

Furthermore, why on earth did you make this topic as a "believer" if you already believed? 

Are the contradictions in religious texts and the actions of religious people confusing you? 

Maybe it should. Because its all a house of cards built on the lack of knowledge and the lack of logic and rational consistent thought. That alone speaks for itself...

You must have me confused with the OP. I did not create this topic. I entered saying "Personally, I believe in God".

I thought I made it clear: I don't follow any religion. It's all something I believe, something that I made up, if you will. I learned about various religions and developed a concept and belief that made sense to me.

*Not an honest believer? Who are you to say who is an honest or dishonest believer?
*I believe because I want some reward out of it? Reward? Like what? Going to heaven/not going to hell? I'm not Christian. I find it funny that religious people are looking for rewards. I can only tell you I am not.
*I believe in God because I want to fit in? I don't even know how to address this one. I chose to develop my own thoughts on spirituality and religion and all of a sudden I'm trying to fit in? Trying to be part of the crowd, when I rarely talk about my religious beliefs to anyone?

If you want to call the part of my response as deflecting, go ahead. I did not make the topic, I participated in the thread. You brought up something you felt strongly about and I questioned it. Kind of like what you are doing to me.

I'm sorry if you think that because we have different beliefs that I cannot be a positive part of society. What is a positive part of society? I try to be the best person I can be, and my religious beliefs are part of who I am. If you think my religious beliefs are incorrect and I'm useless because I'm a dishonest believer who brings nothing to society... I guess that's what I am in your eyes. It's alright with me though, because I think I can still be a good person and you'll probably never meet me in your life.

I said in my post before my last one that I would not be arguing about my beliefs anymore. My last post was addressed at your mindset, not as a shot or a question to its validity but rather to understand. I'm done now. If you want to keep arguing, I will not respond. Don't bother though. I'm just one of the billions, and my ignorance in your eyes should mean I will not change.

sillyputty.. what is the difference between your faith in science and another's faith in God?

I don't have faith in science.
Science only describes how things work to a certain degree of certainty. 

Thats why we discovered atomic physics. The world works differently at that level but for most purposes newtonian physics describes a lot of how we deal with the world on a daily basis. 

Our measurements will never be completely accurate, our symbols will never fully convey reality and our models are valid only to a certain degree. Its those that don't understand this that think that science is some all knowing entity. It isnt.

Science changes when new evidence is introduced. It refines it self. Even those who lie about their findings end up being caught sooner or later when the evidence doesn't add up....much like that guy who lied about vaccines causing autism. The scientific community shunned him a few months ago. As they should have. You see, science has a way of being true whether or not you "believe" in it. It relies on empirical evidence collected over time to substantiate and legitimize a claim. Granted we accept certain things as "Fact" but the extent of gravity on another planet isn't the same and our understanding of how the world works may not apply to another planet...but for us, this is good for now. 

One doesn't "believe" in science...one simply "understands" it. If you "believe" in a concept and you haven't take the time to justify it, it doesn't matter how true or false it is, you're no better than someone who blindly does what they're told. 

Take the time to justify and rationalize your biases and understanding of how things work. Ask yourself, why do I believe what I believe and is it true? Learn the history of not only yourself but others. 

More knowledge allows you to come to better understandings of the way things work. 

BTW, I wish that had a "faith" in god stopped using all of the things that science has afforded them. Lets see how long they last. 

I probably won't watch it because I don't want to be like you. I don't want to believe what you believe. you will believe anything a scientist tells you. you operate on secondhand experience. you didn't even address my argument with your own opinions and experience but instead directed me to the mind of Tim Minchin. you don't even believe in yourself. you're miserable and you would like others to sink to your misery and share you're pointless existence. that's fine but I choose not to do that. faith in God is about uplifting people and you attempt to destroy that so what does that say about you? it makes you feel smart to try and make people feel foolish. that is your purpose.
edit-

dude..you're trying to pit science against God as if it isn't one in the same. science is the explanation of what is called "God" has put into existence. The "cause" of the "effect". as a primarily left brained logical thinker you should know that you can't have one without the other. science "changes" because it is incomplete and always will be like you said...it will always be millions of steps behind. new evidence isn't introduced, it always is. math doesn't "change" as you go from kindergarten to high school, you simply develop the capacity to understand calculus. science has not yet developed the capacity to understand God on a logical level. before there was a scientific explanation for gravity there was gravity. gravity wasn't "introduced", it fell on top of Newton's head just like God will undeniably make his presence felt in your life once you develop the capacity. belief, faith, understanding, and execution of that which cannot be explained doesn't make you blind it makes you ahead of the time. science is not some all knowing entity, God is. God has a way of being true whether you understand it or not and you will understand God very soon. 

Well thank you.
Yep.

You must have me confused with the OP. I did not create this topic. I entered saying "Personally, I believe in God".

I thought I made it clear: I don't follow any religion. It's all something I believe, something that I made up, if you will. I learned about various religions and developed a concept and belief that made sense to me.

*Not an honest believer? Who are you to say who is an honest or dishonest believer?
*I believe because I want some reward out of it? Reward? Like what? Going to heaven/not going to hell? I'm not Christian. I find it funny that religious people are looking for rewards. I can only tell you I am not.
*I believe in God because I want to fit in? I don't even know how to address this one. I chose to develop my own thoughts on spirituality and religion and all of a sudden I'm trying to fit in? Trying to be part of the crowd, when I rarely talk about my religious beliefs to anyone?

If you want to call the part of my response as deflecting, go ahead. I did not make the topic, I participated in the thread. You brought up something you felt strongly about and I questioned it. Kind of like what you are doing to me.

I'm sorry if you think that because we have different beliefs that I cannot be a positive part of society. What is a positive part of society? I try to be the best person I can be, and my religious beliefs are part of who I am. If you think my religious beliefs are incorrect and I'm useless because I'm a dishonest believer who brings nothing to society... I guess that's what I am in your eyes. It's alright with me though, because I think I can still be a good person and you'll probably never meet me in your life.

I said in my post before my last one that I would not be arguing about my beliefs anymore. My last post was addressed at your mindset, not as a shot or a question to its validity but rather to understand. I'm done now. If you want to keep arguing, I will not respond. Don't bother though. I'm just one of the billions, and my ignorance in your eyes should mean I will not change.

I'm sorry ... I thought you were the OP. My bad. 
But dude, if you admit that you just made something up that you have no evidence for, then you MUST assert that its NOT true fam. You're just lying to yourself. 

Thats not what I said. Stop trying to be victimized. You said your faith makes you better. Myself and countless others stand as a testament to the fact that it doesn't. You may value your faith...but it doesn't make it legitimate. You're just moving the goalposts.

if you're not going to reply, just stop already. You've been saying that since the first time I replied to you. Otherwise just continue to debate. I don't see the point of you trying to take the e-high ground. 
laugh.gif

grin.gif

I don't have faith in science.
Science only describes how things work to a certain degree of certainty. 

Thats why we discovered atomic physics. The world works differently at that level but for most purposes newtonian physics describes a lot of how we deal with the world on a daily basis. 

Our measurements will never be completely accurate, our symbols will never fully convey reality and our models are valid only to a certain degree. Its those that don't understand this that think that science is some all knowing entity. It isnt.

Science changes when new evidence is introduced. It refines it self. Even those who lie about their findings end up being caught sooner or later when the evidence doesn't add up....much like that guy who lied about vaccines causing autism. The scientific community shunned him a few months ago. As they should have. You see, science has a way of being true whether or not you "believe" in it. It relies on empirical evidence collected over time to substantiate and legitimize a claim. Granted we accept certain things as "Fact" but the extent of gravity on another planet isn't the same and our understanding of how the world works may not apply to another planet...but for us, this is good for now. 

One doesn't "believe" in science...one simply "understands" it. If you "believe" in a concept and you haven't take the time to justify it, it doesn't matter how true or false it is, you're no better than someone who blindly does what they're told. 

Take the time to justify and rationalize your biases and understanding of how things work. Ask yourself, why do I believe what I believe and is it true? Learn the history of not only yourself but others. 

More knowledge allows you to come to better understandings of the way things work. 

BTW, I wish that had a "faith" in god stopped using all of the things that science has afforded them. Lets see how long they last. 

This damn post
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

I probably won't watch it because I don't want to be like you. I don't want to believe what you believe. you will believe anything a scientist tells you. you operate on secondhand experience. you didn't even address my argument with your own opinions and experience but instead directed me to the mind of Tim Minchin. you don't even believe in yourself. you're miserable and you would like others to sink to your misery and share you're pointless existence. that's fine but I choose not to do that. faith in God is about uplifting people and you attempt to destroy that so what does that say about you? it makes you feel smart to try and make people feel foolish. that is your purpose.
I don't care if you don't want to be like me. Thats not the issue. The issue is you saying things and suggestion notions which have not only been disproven but have never been substantiated with ANY evidence. EVER. 
I uplift plenty of people. I just don't have to believe in a god to do so. I don't need to be told i'm going to hell to be a good person. I don't get anything out of not being a **** to another person. 

I also directed you to the video because it addresses and compiles a response to your pseudoscience endeavors in a more concise way than I can. Its not to say that I don't have my own opinions. 

Back
Top Bottom