Why don't young "shoe-heads" live in the "now" rather than chasing retroes??

frown.gif
it's rather disappointing that the younger crowd on here misconstrued my original post to a assumed "bashing" or "condescending"tone of older heads being more important than the current youth... WAS NOT MY INTENTION!

23collector1985 and the others who got the point of this thread, I thank you. Sadly, from this post alone, it gives you a glimpse of what most Niketalkerscontribute to the forums now days. Posts of positive INFORMATION, or positive INSIGHT and DISCUSSION is now turned into flame-wars of people taking shots ateach other. Classic example is whenever Maze posts a video to show the everyone the new kicks coming out 99% of the replies are of pure "hate" orbashing of the shoes displayed rather than a THANKS FOR THE INFO MAZE.

Its cool though, I appreciate the positive replies and stories each person has provided..... a few ?'s to some of you though...

-How is Lebron not as much as a figure now as Jordan was at the time? He is on his 7th shoe, and in my opinion the Lebron 2 is one of the greatest shoe I haveever played in!

-The Kobe 4 was rated one of the highest performing shoes in this recent era, along with him winning the championship, why is there not an intrigue to pick upthe Kobe 4s over some "dmp I" pack that came out before you were born, and practically looks like a dunk high?

I guess I should mention again, but it probably won't matter... KEEP IT POSITIVE FAM!

i guess it's the story's that the new generation hears from parents my age (im 37) i get kids on my block, my lil cousins etc who love when i tell themmy story's of old new york and how we used to rock certain kicks especially Jordan's. i talk to them about the break dancing and subway graffiti erafor hours and you just have to look at there faces. then what helps is that i have 2 older dudes, dudes that i grew up with whom are older than me (mid40's) telling them story's, from the fashion, the music, style, art etc. how we got over blah blah. so as i look at it. NYC has gotten soft but better.kids nowadays wont be able to live in the NYC i lived in back then because it was crime ridden yet we had a blast. so kids ask them selves. "how did theydo it?" we may not be able to live in there time but the least we can do is rock what they had" so these kids go and get the retro 3 true blue, aj 2,flights, forces etc. they dress in skinny jeans, gazelles, neon colored shirts, to try and emulate an era they didn't live in but appreciate. i thinkthat's why.

now im going to say one last thing. the skinny jeans we did not wear in the 80's.. we wore straight legged fitted, yet comfortable jeans. in late 89 iswhen the baggy look came about. the chris cross etc. also another thing. people say that in the early 90's people wore mad colorful clothing. yes we did.but if u look at it, it only lasted until 1993 max. remmeber a decade takes 3 years to create it's own identity. prime example. people were rockin afrosand bellbottoms, till about late 1982 or so. after that is when the funky colors came about etc and lasted until 93 or so. just a lil lesson i had to throw inthere.

Originally Posted by jpena0306

Originally Posted by luis og13s

Well I'm turning 20 this October so Im not the oldest jordan head around, but I started watching bulls games back in the day. Since 95 I began watchin MJ with the bulls, my bro was a huge fan of basketball and I would do alot of what my older bro did, but when I watched a bulls game with him as a kid and saw MJ play I was sold, all I wanted to do was be like Mike. He was my hero, the reason why I started playing basketball. My first pair of kicks were OG White/Black-Red 13s from He Got game, I had em in grade 3 in 97. I remember my mom bought me a red bulls Jordan jersey, a kids champion one, I still got it, wish MJ could sign it, man hes the greatest. Know im not the oldest jordan head but I do have memories from my childhood of MJ, he was my hero just he like was to many kids in the 90s
i'm on that same boat but i'm already 20 lol i remember watching game 6 when MJ hit that game-winning shot and screaming in my parents room. although i was young, i remember tearing up when they were talking about MJ retiring during the interviews after the game. I remember Jordan saying that he'd return if Phil, Scottie, and Dennis came back but he retired. He's the greatest and that's why i get his shoes. They remind me of the times when MJ was great and as of now, no one at this time and age can change that feeling that MJ instilled in me.

Yeah, I turn 20 this october I have a late birthday. Back in grade 3, I shaved my head for the first time cause of MJ, I wore my bulls jersey almost to myknees, red no name shorts cause my mom was too cheap to buy the bulls shorts, and my OG 13s. I remember the 98 finals so vividly man, wen he crossed Russelland hit the game winning shot and held his hand in the air in the follow thru of his shot after the ball went in, man I ran outside put my jordan jersey on andpracticed that cross over and shot keeping my arm in the air following thru on the form for hours until the neighbords complained they couldnt sleep from allthe noise.
laugh.gif

I'm 16 and i've been a fan ever since spacejam, i can't remember any games off the top of my head but i saw when he took that last shot against theUtah Jazz and ever since then, i wanted to know more about him. Growing up, my parents always taught me that a brand is something you can own, not let it ownyou, so they never bought me any expensive shoes. I had already known about his accomplishments and researched the man himself on the internet and found thathe became who he was by working hard and never giving up. He sort of became an inspiration and motivated me to become the person that i kinda am today. Now, ibuy my own shoes with my own money because i found my own job ( well, i kinda just asked my dad for one, but still ). His achievements showed me that if younever give up, you can achieve all that you dream.

i guess for most young kids who collect is purely due to "whats hot right now"! so they go after J's

Rayray i apologize for my first post.. i guess alot of us youngins are use to the complaining and put downs..
But to answer your recent questions. I personally dont like the style of the kobe and lebron lines. Im pretty much done with playing competitive ball andschool ball, neither of those shoes are really shoes that you wear with jeans or just to go out. Jordans are wearable on the court and outside, unlike theother two. I personally have always collected jays because of the history behind them, eventhough i did not see mj play too many games i still have watchedrecent dvds and games found online. Along with that the style. Its also always nice to walk around my school knowing im wearing real heat compared to everyonesfakes that they pick up at the local flea market, like ive said jordans are still a status symbol.

People are living for the now. There are people who seek to buy the older shoes but those shoes crumble and if they don't people buy them because theycatch looks.

Originally Posted by MrWavez

Originally Posted by MySolesSoar

Do we have to have a history with a brand to like a shoe? Yeah, yeah, yeah, "I remember MJ playing in these in this game"

"I remember him doing whatever with these on" Shut up, no one cares.

It's really a generalization to say that the younger heads only like Jordans because of the "hype". Excuse me, I didn't know it was impossible for me
to like a shoe because of the design.
Like I've stated before, I don't care how much hate the 6 rings get, or the 60+, I will cop them regardless if I like the way they look. That's why I have august 15th pegged.
You all need a reality check, not everyone is down with the hype.

No one cares how much Jordan facts you can spit out, the point is at the end of the day it's a damn shoe and you either like them or you don't.

COSIGN...but i mess wit the six rings...dont like the 60+ tho
QFT... I guess ya'll can call me an "OG head" or whatever, I don't care. I don't care what kids buy these kicks for,memories or style. It's to one's own.

They dont chase because theyre smart and not paying 300+ for some old kicks

everybody is different tho

Oh goodness here we go again.

Some people dont care about Jordans legacy, the inspiration behind a certain Jordan, etc etc. Whatever happened to just liking a shoe for what it looks like?This only happens to Jordans, let some people live.

Some people just like how they look, why? Cause they are simply just another pair of sneakers.

/topic.

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Oh goodness here we go again.

Some people dont care about Jordans legacy, the inspiration behind a certain Jordan, etc etc. Whatever happened to just liking a shoe for what it looks like? This only happens to Jordans, let some people live.

Some people just like how they look, why? Cause they are simply just another pair of sneakers.

/topic.

No one is saying there is something wrong with "just liking a shoe for what it looks like". The OP was just asking what makes the younger crowd buyJordans. If it's just because of the way they look, fine. But some have a story to tell. The OP was looking for a few stories, that's all.

Plain and simple..Jordans just look much nicer than the LeBrons
sick.gif
and Kobes
Even though I never got the chance to watch MJ play on TV
ohwell.gif
, his highlights aloneconvinces me he's one of the best all time

I'm 23 and have been wearing Jordan's since I was three or four and I didn't know or care what they were at the time they were my shoes and i likedthem. Now I can remember my grandparents buying me Jordans every few months from about 1st grade till 5th grade(I'm not gonna say they were rich buteveryone had good jobs and took care of their money). By that time I knew what Jordans were really about, and I constantly watched Nba on Nbc and WGN I neededa BB fix. Seeing Jordan before he retired and when he came back It made me love the shoes. So much that I would mow yards, clean up, rake leaves, anything thatit took to get my J's. I got my 1st Job when I was 16 the hustling continued and I no matter what I had to get the newest Jordan. To tell you the truthwhen I was growing up I don't remember anyone wanting the Old J's after the new ones released. I didn't, my friends didn't, and most people inmy area didn't. Because of that I didn't wear my 1st retro till 01 when I got the black/Red XI's and I didn't get really into retro's tillthe next yr when I brought the 9's in 02. So now I appreciate Retro's more cause the new J's ain't cutting it like they used to but. Idon't hate on younger collectors cause they are just starting or didn't see mj play in his prime cause u can't help it but, if u like retro'sgo for it don't let anyone influence you, buy what u like,whether it be new J or retro
s.

nice topic. i wear da shoes cause i like em. i still keep in mind that old jordan fans wear his shoes because of his legacy and childhood experiences. i onlyremember little off his late years playin ball (flippin between channels 2 watch wrestling and the nba)

Do we have to have a history with a brand to like a shoe? Yeah, yeah, yeah, "I remember MJ playing in these in this game"

It's really a generalization to say that the younger heads only like Jordans because of the "hype". Excuse me, I didn't know it was impossible for me
Like I've stated before, I don't care how much hate the 6 rings get, or the 60+, I will cop them regardless if I like the way they look. That's why I have august 15th pegged.

No one cares how much Jordan facts you can spit out, the point is at the end of the day it's a damn shoe and you either like them or you don't.

a! perfect point. u dont have 2 have knowledge 2 wear a damn shoe

Originally Posted by GottaBdaShoes

Originally Posted by sickickz23

Originally Posted by GottaBdaShoes

Originally Posted by Zachariaahh

i don't see why it matters why young kids purchase the shoes they do, all you old sneakerheads think your some level above everyone just because you saw michael play a hell of a lot more then we did or something. Yet i guarantee i know a whole lot more about the man off the top of my head then half of you all do. Then you all mention that we don't even purchase our shoes just because of your jealousy that your mommy and daddy couldn't. I myself own 27 pairs at the age of 17 ranging from og's to current releases and i can say that i've purchased 23 of those pairs.. in the long run all you old farts needed just grow up and start wearing new balances like everyone else your age instead of telling us to live in the now, aren't you all living in the past?

roll.gif

Yea, ok. Time to get off the interwebz little buddy. Cool off.

wow so you know what he did on March 1st 1970?
laugh.gif
Never said I did. I do know what you're doing though, typing out of your ^%&#.

that wasn't for you

Because J's are still the best and when I say J's I mean Air jordans none of the other crap JB puts out.

The answer to this is simple...Jordan's shoes are better. The players the young cats are growing up watching now (LeBron? Other than the LeBron IV'sthey are pretty much ugly IMO, D-Wade...same thing, plus he was on Converse up until now, then you have CP3, another ugly shoe, D-12...ugly Addidas shoe, Meloother than the 5.5's his whole line is ehhhh) The hottest shoes now are retro shoes all across the board. Penny, AM 95, AM90, Chuck Taylors, Foams,Griffey's, AF1's, Dunks, Jordan's...if the shoe companies could come up with some good, new ideas then maybe interest in some of these older shoeswould start to fade.

It honestly goes both ways. I'm 22 and grew up watching Jordan win a handful of his titles, so I can understand the old head mentality. It'sfrustrating to see teens who go nuts over stuff they don't have any attachment or memories of the shoes.

Buuuuuuut.. 20+ heads, are you going to want your kids to wear Jordans/sneakers and experience the joy you feel? If so, wouldn't you want them to bepassionate about it and appreciate the older kicks they weren't necessarily around for? That's how I look at it.

Basically, who cares if people are into it for different reasons/motivation. If you're one of the older bitter heads, be proud of the fact you have thosetrue solid memories that none of these youngin's can ever replace. N=

first of all, im 29
smile.gif

for me, the most remembered moment was when i saw my friend wearing his new concord XI to go to school on junior high. it was 1996 if im not mistaken...
I WAS STOKED! WHOA...ITS THE SICKEST SHOES I'VE EVER SEEN!
i asked my mom to buy me those..and she said its way too expensive for us at that time. the bottom line is i didnt get them...just drooled when i saw them

im all grown up now, and i have a quite decent job..so im trying to get the shoes that i didnt have the chance to own when i was a kid

Originally Posted by Spradley

a! perfect point. u dont have 2 have knowledge 2 wear a damn shoe

It would be a perfect point if that's what this thread was about... it's NOT.

No one is saying you have to have knowledge or anything to wear shoes. The OP is ASKING what makes you guys buy these shoes. He is not saying you can'tor shouldn't buy them because you are too young or don't have enough knowledge.

Damn... too many people have misunderstood this thread.

For the most part from what i seen its all about ..."Being cool" and Following the crowd. I wont lie i got caught up but eventually i was like %+% ami doing and sold most of my jordans cause i didnt even like them like that, it was all hype

im 18, born and raised in SS Chicago (46th street to be exact, for those who say ducktales), youd think im just a youngn that dont know nothing about MJ, butive been a BULLS Fan since i was 4, so u do the math. i remember i didnt really pay attention to the shoes untill the 13s came out. Of course mom and dad weredefinately not gonna buy me $100+ but a hell of alot of my brothers friends had them and thats when i started to like them, i didnt actually HAVE them but iknew exactly what they were a what they stood for. so just cuz im still a teenager dont mean all the so called "OGs jordan heads" can call me out andact like i just want the shoes cuz their numbered retro or cuz they have a jumpman on it

i like jordans thats why i buy them, its kind of disrespectful when you categorizing all of us like that, and the reasons i dont buy much kobes or lebron isbecause i really hate lebron and some kobes dont really catch my eye unless its in a dope color way

Back
Top Bottom