Why is Air Max Bubble Smaller on Retros?

In a nutshell:
Old air bubbles had "fat gas" in them, which was made of particles that were too large to escape through the plastic of the air-bubble, thus ensuring that the air-bubble would not deflate with time. (to counteract the shrivelled-balloon effect)
But, fat gas was deemed bad for the environment, so now they had to find a way to counteract the shrivelled-balloon effect without using fat gas. So they fill the bubbles with "clean air"but clean air would escape through the plastic (small particles) so they basically thickend the plastic they make the air-bubbles with so the clean air couldn't escape. And thicker plastic means the bubbles are smaller.
You had me until the last sentence... why does thicker plastic mean smaller air bubbles?

I DON'T THINK THAT IT MAKES THAT MUCH A DIFFERENCE. WONDERING IF PPL CAN PUT ON BIG BUBBLE 95 AND TELL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SMALL BUBBLE 95 PROBABLYNOT. UNLESS YOU GOT RALPH TRESVANT FEET. HERE'S SOME BUBBLE COMPARISON PICS FOR YA. PEACE

It sure is frustrating having to deal with these smaller air bubbles, it just doesn't feel/look the same to me. A perfect example is with what they did tothe Pippen 1 retro's, I mean the huge air bubbles is what made the shoe. Then for them to put that small air bubble on them was an injustice. Iwould've bought at least 5 pairs of the Pippen retro's had they had the big air bubbles, instead I barely bought one.

Originally Posted by lexflex81

Wrong sir!

In a nutshell:
Old air bubbles had "fat gas" in them, which was made of particles that were too large to escape through the plastic of the air-bubble, thus ensuring that the air-bubble would not deflate with time. (to counteract the shrivelled-balloon effect) But, fat gas was deemed bad for the environment, so now they had to find a way to counteract the shrivelled-balloon effect without using fat gas. So they fill the bubbles with "clean air"but clean air would escape through the plastic (small particles) so they basically thickend the plastic they make the air-bubbles with so the clean air couldn't escape. And thicker plastic means the bubbles are smaller.

Hope this all made sense to you guys
Ehh... close... you were basically on track until you went off the rails at the end. They didn't thicken the plastic; the new airbags use acompletely different kind of material, and a completely new way of molding/forming them.

The old airbags were just a single-layer plastic, while the new ones are made up of 65 layers-sandwiching together plastic and various "barrierlayers". Different--not thicker--materials. And they're formed using a completely different manufacturing technique, so several of the originalstyles of airbags can't be exactly duplicated... but the new molding enables some completely new things that were impossible before, like that cageless 360pictured above. Don't think that Nike hasn't tried to match the older designs as closely as they could, given the new technology!

Again, if you want more of the real, technical story, read my post here.

Originally Posted by cOuntrybOygOtHEaT

I know Nike's thinking about the enviorment, but I do miss those fat air bubbles. The new air bubbles just make the entire shoe flatter. I mean, it might not be a big thing to some people, and that's alright, but it's definitely a BIG deal to me, especially having the FAT OGs when I was younger and now anticipating the retros and end up with a FLAT shoe. It's not just about the air itself, it's the principle behind it. All I'm saying is, if you bring back a shoe, do right by it and bring it back the way it used to be.

I know I might get vilified by all these tree-huggers on here, but I can care less about going green if it has to come to this. I DON'T CARE! GIVE ME MORE AIR! I DON'T CARE! I WANT MORE AIR!

You need to get a life...its not that serious

Originally Posted by Redrum SB

If it's for the environment then I would gladly sacrifice big air bubbles for smaller ones.

In reality, it's only shoes.

i agree. Id rather help out the enviro. than have a bigger bubble

If it's for the environment then I would gladly sacrifice big air bubbles for smaller ones.

also, it's not just the size that's different... it's the shape. the bubble used to curve out in the middle with a seam, making it appear evenbigger. now it doesn't even protrude from the sole.

Nike consistently "ruins" their designs and we're sitting here complaining that they cut some fat out of the air units. I'd hate to see usface an actual real life dilemma. Sheesh.

Originally Posted by bmorekicks

Originally Posted by cOuntrybOygOtHEaT

I know Nike's thinking about the enviorment, but I do miss those fat air bubbles. The new air bubbles just make the entire shoe flatter. I mean, it might not be a big thing to some people, and that's alright, but it's definitely a BIG deal to me, especially having the FAT OGs when I was younger and now anticipating the retros and end up with a FLAT shoe. It's not just about the air itself, it's the principle behind it. All I'm saying is, if you bring back a shoe, do right by it and bring it back the way it used to be.

I know I might get vilified by all these tree-huggers on here, but I can care less about going green if it has to come to this. I DON'T CARE! GIVE ME MORE AIR! I DON'T CARE! I WANT MORE AIR!

You need to get a life...its not that serious
i second that

Why-is-Air-Max-Bubble-Smaller-on-Retros-.html

jump off a cliff

I kinda think the answer is simply that the manufacturers have lost the skills of making them like they used to, cause its been what, a good decade since theymade them like we all remember? After zoom air and then shox came out and they stopped making large air bubbles alot and often so it only makes sense that theyjust lost the ability to do it anymore, due to either loss of eqiupment, employees or any number of things. Thats what I suspect anyhow.

Originally Posted by jfeezy

This kind of garbage which is exactly what keeps this subject alive. Thanks!
eyes.gif

people like you make entire threads not worth reading!

if it is environmental, its not a big enough deal to worry about. i checked the pics of the 08 retro's and the hoa's and there is very littledifference if any.

Retros actually have a cleaner look now, its more improved imo since they are smaller and without the lines like the OGs have.

The new Air Bubbles also will not burst like the old one's did, as I've stated a thousand times before on this site.

I've gone through deadstock shoes from the 90's that I have, and have found a few with burst Air pockets (only two, thank the Lord).

So, unlike many people, I appreciate the change.

As should all of you.

Peace.

Originally Posted by Trydan

Originally Posted by jfeezy

This kind of garbage which is exactly what keeps this subject alive. Thanks!
eyes.gif
people like you make entire threads not worth reading!
Oooh... burn!
eyes.gif

Let me spell it out for you. Many people have noticed this issue and asked and/or speculated about it before. I, and others here who care aboutit, have already responded in this same thread with information and links to long, very detailed posts that explainexactly why things are the way they are. Then you come in and spew your uninformed, half-assed theory, basically shouting to everyonethat you're willing to shoot your mouth off, but can't be bothered to actually read either the posts in the thread, or the relevant information thatothers have placed directly in front of you. Understand? You've refused to even try to listen to people with firsthand knowledge, so your credibility andright to complain is zero. Buh-bye.

Originally Posted by jahjahyoon

z169794935.jpg
a real air bubble.. haha kids size.
that bubble is beast mode...the hell a kid needs wit a air bubble that big...need to give that to the men and have the kids gel it up

Back
Top Bottom