Why is NY considered the "Mecca of basketball"

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Originally Posted by tmukg21

I know people love the Knicks, but why is the Garden really considered the "Mecca of basketball"

I mean they have only won two championships, as far as I know
grin.gif
How old are you??? If you were old enough to remember the 1990's Knicks then you'd understand why.
the same 1990s Knicks who were frequently owned by MJ? why do Knicks fans act like they weren't second fiddle in the NBA throughout the 90s?
i always see you dudes talking about "the 90s Knicks" as if they were some great dynasty with 10 championships. they had ZERO.

Of course we know we got owned by MJ. When did we ever not acknowledge that?? The Knicks were one of the top 3 teams in the league during the90's...consistently won around 50 games, and arguably one of the better defensive teams. Always considered contenders for the East.

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

And to follow up....Alot of people are using the "historic events" argument...

[iverson] We ain't talkin' bout events....we talkin bout basketball....basketball....not events, we talkin' bout BASKETBALL...[/iverson]
So when the spurs were running $+%!, the mecca of basketball was San Antonio..........................

indifferent.gif

cleaveland
tired.gif
(cry about how i spelled it)
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ain't nobody said nothin about CleAveland or San Antonio...Save the stonefaces champ

If anything I can see LA or BOS...I mean they do have over 30 titles between them....

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

Originally Posted by tmukg21

I know people love the Knicks, but why is the Garden really considered the "Mecca of basketball"

I mean they have only won two championships, as far as I know
grin.gif
How old are you??? If you were old enough to remember the 1990's Knicks then you'd understand why.
the same 1990s Knicks who were frequently owned by MJ? why do Knicks fans act like they weren't second fiddle in the NBA throughout the 90s?
i always see you dudes talking about "the 90s Knicks" as if they were some great dynasty with 10 championships. they had ZERO.
I think the point he's trying to make is that in the 90s people associated basketball with ny. NY rappers were always reppin hard with knicksgear. Jerseys went out when the knicks started sucking
laugh.gif
jk, Since theteam sucks now, there aren't as many associations made between ny and the knicks in popular culture though, so if you're younger u probablywouldn't understand why people consider the knicks the center of baskeball.

Why would you, if all you know about the knicks is that they've made millions of stupid moves, had isiah as a coach, and never was a contender since youwere able to understand the game.

[iverson] We ain't talkin' bout events....we talkin bout basketball....basketball....not events, we talkin' bout BASKETBALL...[/iverson]
So when the spurs were running $+%!, the mecca of basketball was San Antonio..........................

indifferent.gif

cleaveland
tired.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ain't nobody said nothin about CleAveland or San Antonio...Save the stonefaces champ

If anything I can see LA or BOS...I mean they do have over 30 titles between them....
It not only about the NBA dip****...its about basketball in general.

So what you wana say TD Bank North > MSG??

And more than the arena, As a person who's been in both boston and NY....as far as hoops goes....Boston does not even come close.

It's not just about the Knicks.

Why do yall keep thinking its about NBA titles? Completely missing the point here. There's alot more to the CITY than an NBA team.

EDIT- damn allen typed the same thing.

indifferent.gif

cleaveland
tired.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

OK I get what you're saying...at first I thought you meant to throw out historical events because they're old and irrelevant.

But you're current argument is still dumb.

Why would the NBA...a BUSINESS...dictate what the center of basketball is?

Basketball is more than money for athletes and owners. And it's more than just the NBA.

NBA players make up less than 1% of all ballers...

Originally Posted by allen3xis

So what you wana say TD Bank North > MSG??

And more than the arena, As a person who's been in both boston and NY....as far as hoops goes....Boston does not even come close.

It's not just about the Knicks.
I'm trying to explain to them its not all about the Knicks/NBA....its about the game of basketball, and how much its integrated into ourculture here in NY.

It isn't about titles. I don't like the Knicks, but man how can you not respect MSG?

I think its not the dislike of MSG, its just the dislike of NYC in general. A lot of NYer's do give off an obnoxious, arrogant, prissy persona.

Its not ust about the garden or anything....its about streetball....the courts....rucker.....dyckman..... come on man

I think its not the dislike of MSG, its just the dislike of NYC in general. A lot of NYer's do give off an obnoxious, arrogant, prissy persona.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

But thinking and reading about it, basketball wasn't even founded in NYC. It was originally created by Dr. Naismith in Massachusetts.

So, basketball was founded in Massachusetts and the Boston Celtics have the most NBA titles...seems like a compelling argument to me....

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

But thinking and reading about it, basketball wasn't even founded in NYC. It was originally created by Dr. Naismith in Massachusetts.

So, basketball was founded in Massachusetts and the Boston Celtics have the most NBA titles...seems like a compelling argument to me....
Watch it..... can you as a Cavs fan even be in the discussion?!

dude....ohio...

really?

"It's the Mecca of basketball," he has said more than once. "You always want to perform at your highest level when youplay in the Garden." - Michael Jordan

"The fans," James said of what he likes about New York. "Every time I come here it's a warm feeling because you know the history,and it's not just basketball, its concerts, boxing, everything."
"It's humbling," he said of the reception, "to have fans . . . in the mecca of basketball." - LebronJames

I didn't even mention I.S.8, The Cage, Inwood and some others.
Sorry to bust your chops but anyone could make it into I.S.8, it's not cut out to be what it use to be. I undertsand wher eyou coming fromthough.

Originally Posted by Krazecraze

"It's the Mecca of basketball," he has said more than once. "You always want to perform at your highest level when you play in the Garden." - Michael Jordan

"The fans," James said of what he likes about New York. "Every time I come here it's a warm feeling because you know the history, and it's not just basketball, its concerts, boxing, everything."
"It's humbling," he said of the reception, "to have fans . . . in the mecca of basketball." - Lebron James
"To have an opportunity to have it here, it would be special,'' Bryant said. "This isthe mecca, the center of basketball."

Originally Posted by FreddyPee

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

dude....ohio...

really?

Can you even be in the discussion?...

look up "biased" in the dictionary 'son'

Originally Posted by outacontrol homer

Originally Posted by outacontrol homer

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

dude....ohio...

really?

I think you're the one that needs to.
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
glasses.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

dude....ohio...

really?

"son"

laugh.gif
people these days......

Ohio has done nothing for the evolution or preservation of the sport of basketball on an amateur, collegiate, or professional level....

Im a Lakers fan myself but you can even see how much we believe in and love the game here in NY

especially when I have friend that will love the Knicks no matter how horrible they are....unlike the brand new 50 million Cavs fans since '04'man'

I didn't even mention I.S.8, The Cage, Inwood and some others.
pimp.gif
My Uncle runs that tournament, just throwing that out there
nerd.gif

By the way- Nike Pro City @ Hunter College, Rucker, Hoops in the Sun, Kingdome etc.. Those tournaments year in and out DELIVER.

Back
Top Bottom