Why is NY considered the "Mecca of basketball"

A lot of great players have come out of NY...college basketball got to where its at now because of the many black players that came outta ny back in the daythat paved the way

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Originally Posted by tmukg21

I know people love the Knicks, but why is the Garden really considered the "Mecca of basketball"

I mean they have only won two championships, as far as I know
grin.gif
How old are you??? If you were old enough to remember the 1990's Knicks then you'd understand why.
Oh these Knicks...

you set yourself up....

Cleveland.
laugh.gif

The only historical reference that Cleveland has is...

Cleveland Indians are scrubs and have been for the past 60 years.

Cleveland Browns are scrubs and have been for the past 44 years.

Up until 5 years ago the Cavs have been nothing but used baby wipes by the NBA.

And Cleveland will be known for not being able to resign arguably the greatest basketball player who ever lived by the time he retires.

See a trend here?

Originally Posted by dmxfury

MSG has been home of so many great, historical events, how could it not be? If nothing else, the fact it was the site of Ali Frazier, the Fight of the Century, makes it "the Mecca"
The title is "Mecca of Basketball", which the Madison Garden clearly is not. The Boston Garden, The Great Western Forum, The UnitedCenter (old, new), & The Staples Center all have more NBA titles won than that lousy team that plays in MSG. It's just another title New Yorkers clingtoo that comes from the media. The MSG is a historical venue for many great events, but the NBA team that has occupied that arena isn't.

Before you Knicks fans come in here and start whining about the 90's team (MJ's personal urinal), remember that they couldn't even win the titlewhen they were handed the trip in 94. A lockout shortened season couldn't even help you either.

The more and more I keep seeing these NY threads,the more and more I notice people that wish they were from NY
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But just hate instead
smh.gif

I've never truly understood the mecca part of NY. But after looking, no, staring at that Dr J picture........that is justincredible.
eek.gif

I don't have a problem with NY being called the mecca, they can have their names, but to me, I'd rather just hang banners.

The title is "Mecca of Basketball",
True, but for me it is that because the atmosphere of MSG itself due to all the events that have occurred make it so incredible. So with theKnicks and their history, it seems to encompass that feeling and is applied to basketball. Gardens/Forum were great spots as well.

People are taking this "title" (if you will) too literally.

The Garden (with all its history with the Knicks and other sporting events) is the epicenter of a city which breathes and lives its basketball. You can'twalk 2-3 blocks without seeing a b-ball court around Manhattan, and don't even get me started on the history of basketball throughout the city itself (iethe Dr J picture from the Rucker).

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

MSG has been home of so many great, historical events, how could it not be? If nothing else, the fact it was the site of Ali Frazier, the Fight of the Century, makes it "the Mecca"
The title is "Mecca of Basketball", which the Madison Garden clearly is not. The Boston Garden, The Great Western Forum, The United Center (old, new), & The Staples Center all have more NBA titles won than that lousy team that plays in MSG. It's just another title New Yorkers cling too that comes from the media. The MSG is a historical venue for many great events, but the NBA team that has occupied that arena isn't.

Before you Knicks fans come in here and start whining about the 90's team (MJ's personal urinal), remember that they couldn't even win the title when they were handed the trip in 94. A lockout shortened season couldn't even help you either.

But its not just about MSG. Yes Staples May have more banners, but look at the fans in LA. (At least the ones in the court side seats). They don't payattention to the games. Basketball in MSG is serious. Dudes are there to make business deals, they are there to pay attention to their knicks for cheer forbron...(had to throw that in there)

Kareem wrote a book about hoops in NY. He stated that basketball was a culture out there. It was just second nature. Why do think he wanted to play ball outthere? He knew what it meant. Why do think Lebron wants to come? He knows the history, he knows they are serious about ball out there.

I don't understand why folks are getting upset about it. Its just a title. Professional hoops in NY may have slipped in the past years but if you go tojust about any park out there, 24/7, rain or shine, kids are out there hooping. Bassy's documentary you can see that basketball is a way of life out there.Its not like people are saying basketball wouldn't exist if NY wasn't around.

NY is the mecca of the world.

Get with it.

But comments like this are just OD.
sick.gif

You have to remember that NYC is the #1 media market in the country. That means everything is hyped up more and judged more closely than other cities. (shoutout to Plaxico)

The only other market that has the media hype, stars and the love of basketball is L.A., but L.A. is more of a laid back city than NYC.

Chicago and Boston are baseball towns first so that elimates them

As far as the MSG, you have to realize that it covers everything from HS, College (NIT, Big East), Globetrotters, and NBA. A lot of legendary games havehappen there.

When it comes to The Rucker...if you know b-ball, you know thats the mecca of streetball from back when The Goat and Kareem played on the same team to Pee Weebattling Dr. J up to when A.I and Kobe used to come up there in the late 90s.

But its not just about MSG. Yes Staples May have more banners, but look at the fans in LA. (At least the ones in the court side seats). They don't pay attention to the games. Basketball in MSG is serious. Dudes are there to make business deals, they are there to pay attention to their knicks for cheer for bron...(had to throw that in there)

Kareem wrote a book about hoops in NY. He stated that basketball was a culture out there. It was just second nature. Why do think he wanted to play ball out there? He knew what it meant. Why do think Lebron wants to come? He knows the history, he knows they are serious about ball out there.

I don't understand why folks are getting upset about it. Its just a title. Professional hoops in NY may have slipped in the past years but if you go to just about any park out there, 24/7, rain or shine, kids are out there hooping. Bassy's documentary you can see that basketball is a way of life out there. Its not like people are saying basketball wouldn't exist if NY wasn't around.

Well put....not to mention Kareem IS from NYC.

There is NOTHING like hooping in NYC. Like it was said, you can't go more than a couple of blocks with out having seen a court. It's not just MSG, butit's the whole vibe of the city and how it loves basketball that is appropriate when talking about New York being the "mecca" of the sport.It's a city that eats, sleeps, and breathes hoops. The fans are ridiculously passionate about the Knicks, and no matter what, they WILL be there at MSG forbetter or worse for their teams. The Knicks haven't been good for a minute, but there is a stark contrast between their fans and others in large citiesaround the US when their respective teams aren't doing so well. Playing under the lights at MSG "used" to be a selling point for recruits at SJU.Back in the day, you couldn't find a player in the 5 boroughs that didn't have SJU on their short list for schools to attend partially due to playingat the Garden. The Garden isn't the point of this, but rather how the city is the mecca of hoops. The picture of Dr. J perfectly captures why NYC is themecca of basketball.

Originally Posted by tupac003

Get with it.

sick.gif

I'm not trying to be arrogant at all, but if you think about it..

Many big time banks, companies, people all conduct their business here. When something happens in NYC, it affects the world. Wall Street and 9/11 for one(
frown.gif
)..

NYC, and it'll always be debated, is the worlds capital.

Originally Posted by Yoda

tupac003 wrote:

Get with it.

sick.gif

Many big time banks, companies, people all conduct their business here. When something happens in NYC, it affects the world. Wall Street and 9/11 for one (
frown.gif
)..

I do understand that...

But still Big banks do business all over the world. From NY to LA to Chi.

I personally believe its OD to say NYC is the worlds capital.

NYC great place. But SoCal is the place to be for me.

But unlike most I can respect NY. But I am still kicking down the building like snoop...
laugh.gif

Yoda wrote:

tupac003 wrote:

Get with it.

sick.gif

Many big time banks, companies, people all conduct their business here. When something happens in NYC, it affects the world. Wall Street and 9/11 for one (
frown.gif
)..

I do understand that...

But still Big banks do business all over the world. From NY to LA to Chi.

I personally believe its OD to say NYC is the worlds capital.

NYC great place. But SoCal is the place to be for me.

But unlike most I can respect NY. But I am still kicking down the building like snoop...
laugh.gif

Oh absolutely. There's big business everywhere, not just NYC. Chi, LA, MIA, London, Japan...

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

The title is "Mecca of Basketball", which the Madison Garden clearly is not. The Boston Garden, The Great Western Forum, The United Center (old, new), & The Staples Center all have more NBA titles won than that lousy team that plays in MSG. It's just another title New Yorkers cling too that comes from the media. The MSG is a historical venue for many great events, but the NBA team that has occupied that arena isn't.

Before you Knicks fans come in here and start whining about the 90's team (MJ's personal urinal), remember that they couldn't even win the title when they were handed the trip in 94. A lockout shortened season couldn't even help you either.

But its not just about MSG. Yes Staples May have more banners, but look at the fans in LA. (At least the ones in the court side seats). They don't pay attention to the games. Basketball in MSG is serious. Dudes are there to make business deals, they are there to pay attention to their knicks for cheer for bron...(had to throw that in there)

Kareem wrote a book about hoops in NY. He stated that basketball was a culture out there. It was just second nature. Why do think he wanted to play ball out there? He knew what it meant. Why do think Lebron wants to come? He knows the history, he knows they are serious about ball out there.

I don't understand why folks are getting upset about it. Its just a title. Professional hoops in NY may have slipped in the past years but if you go to just about any park out there, 24/7, rain or shine, kids are out there hooping. Bassy's documentary you can see that basketball is a way of life out there. Its not like people are saying basketball wouldn't exist if NY wasn't around.

Get with it.

sick.gif

Agreed with everything except the last. I don't see that as OD.

Originally Posted by dland24

Again....does anyone have that wallpaper? Or at least a bigger one?
Even though ur asking in a douche bag way, and couldn't simply type in dr. j rucker in google images search...

here you go

ruckerjay.jpg

The dude said it right.
NY is the capital of world.
NY runs the country and the world.
Our economy is controlled by NY mostly and effects the world directly.
LA is more of just a chill and laid back place.
Don't get me wrong, I live near LA and I love being around there. It's a cool place to be.
But LA ain't seeing NY in terms of influence on the world. Cities like Tokyo and Seoul are even more influential than LA.

Ok hold up, a lot of people in here salty salty for absolutely no reason. This is very simple its not hard at all. Im not even from New York but ill look youin the eye and tell you its the MECCA OF HOOPS.

From the streetcourts, to the people, to the atmosphere of the building it is undeniably the place to be to watch a basketball game. Rookies always remembertheir first trip to MSG not TD Bank, Stars always bring out their best games in NY, and its no coincidence. The aura of Madison Square is amazing, celebritiesfront row, the lights shining and no this is not the Lakers and Shaq. I went to every single Lakers West Finals game last year. Its not he same atmosphere itsnot comparable. People showing up late to the games, leaving early, barely paying attention. They are just there to be seen (and im a bigger Laker fan thanKnick fan).

Theres a reason Jordan said its his favorite place to play (read the Book for the Love of the Game), Kobe said its his favorite place to play, and well i wontgo into what Lebron thinks because Outacontrol taking to many L's lately.

Its not about titles, its about the culture, Basketball takes over the city when the Knicks play, when they win you can go up to any random on the street andthey'll know exactly whatsup. Legends were built at the Rucker, in the cage etc... NBA'ers visit the courts play there.

My question to ask you is this: What other city embodies passion for basketball the way New York does? What other city has the history of hoops NY does (notthe banners). Thats irrelavent. Thats like saying San Antonio was the place to be during their title runs.

Im quite sure Kobe, Jordan and Lebron know more about what it feels like to play in MSG and really understand what the Garden is about more than some of yousalty dudes chilling behind a computer who have barely been in the arena. Outacontrol how many games have you watched in the Garden? First Born how many haveyou?. Until you experience it you just dont understand it. At least thats what it seems like from all the things we hear from the best players in the sport

Basketball is to New York as Football is to Texas.

Giants are the defending NFL champs...but most people wouldn't call New York the Mecca of football.

Basketball is our thing....anyone who has spent any significant time here can attest to that.

Basketball is the most popular sport in NYC I think. As popular as football and baseball is, basketball seems to get the greatest overall following from myexperience. The communities may seem segregated from neighborhood to neighborhood in certain areas, but when you play ball with one another, the utter-mostrespect is always given after a game after facing a good team you've faced whether you beat them or lost. The street ball games are probably some of themost physical you will ever find, and can even sometimes lead to fights and arguments because no one wants to lose. The trash talking is insane and I alwaysfound it to be the most fun thing about playing basketball, while getting under someones skin. And how ca we forget about the legendary Summer Leagues. Imean, how many NBAers played at the Rucker League? Hell a lot of people who didn't make the L but play overseas and such always come to NYC for the summerto get runs at the summer leagues. These summer leagues are soemtimes more intense than most NBA games and college games because people play for pride andrespect, not a paycheck

The High Schools always have a team or 2 in the top 10 US rankings. This goes for the men(Christ the King, Rice, St Rays, Lincoln, Loghlin, Xaverian, and ahost of others who have good years once in a while like Poly Prep, Collegiate, St Johns Prep, St Francis Prep, Molley, Holy Cross, and others;this can alsoinclude new public powerhouse Boys and Girls which is ranked top 50 in the nation) and women(Mery Bertrum,Christ the King) I doubt you have a region in the USwhich is as competitive in such a small radius as you do here. Hell even the Jersey schools (St Pats, St Anthonys, and Benedicts) come to NYC to recruit theirkids, they register their kids in our IS8 tournaments, The Cage tournaments and others. Sure our college system fell off but St.Johns use to be seriousremember. But then again Fordham is slowly building itself up, and Manhattan and Wagner has always been pretty respectable. They all just lack the type ofcoach who is a serious recruiter and puts guys in the L. St Johns SHOULD have signed Patino but that's the past ugh.

The NBA level has been weak lately, sure. But remember, they always say, "if you can make it here you can make it anywhere." Well the pressure we puton players is insane. I don't think any city does what we do. We expect a level from our players beyond what they think they are capable of. Hell evenopponents don't always think they've made it unless they have a HUGE game at the garden. Just because of the atmosphere. Plus, how many cities do youwhere the all the fans are huge followers of the sport. Not just celebs who want to look nice or agents who want to lure and persuade people (look whatEntourage shows about the NBA). And just listen to all the hate the opponents have to deal with when they are here. Spike Lee vs Jordan and Reggie were some ofthe most fun and remembered things I ever saw in the NBA when I was growing up. Plus we appreciate hard workers/the scrappy players, not just people who areseriously skilled. Look who the fan favorites are always. Lee, Robinson, and Camby before him (man I miss Camby). We love the players who bust their @+* onevery play rather than the pre-madonnas. This city was built upon hard work, most of the wealthy and successful people who reside here did it through hardwork. It's the reason we love watching and cheering for these types of players

It's not that we are arrogant. But basketball is just so central to this city. You won't go more than 10-15 blocks without finding a court somewhere.And I guarantee you will find someone playing there most of the time. Whether it's 1am, 8am, noon, or some time at night. It's liked because it'ssuch a cheap sport too. All you need is some ball and a pair of kicks and you are fine to go and ball for a few hours or minutes. This city was built on thelabor of many poor working-class people. Basketball was a sport that united these communities. And it still does. Parishes and communities huddle around CYOprograms, PAL, HEROES, and other leagues. Until you've experienced all this, you really don't understand how central basketball truly is to NYC!!!

Back
Top Bottom