Why is NY considered the "Mecca of basketball"

Originally Posted by acidicality

Originally Posted by outacontrol homer

Originally Posted by FreddyPee

Originally Posted by outacontrol homer

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

I think its not the dislike of MSG, its just the dislike of NYC in general. A lot of NYer's do give off an obnoxious, arrogant, prissy persona.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

But thinking and reading about it, basketball wasn't even founded in NYC. It was originally created by Dr. Naismith in Massachusetts.

So, basketball was founded in Massachusetts and the Boston Celtics have the most NBA titles...seems like a compelling argument to me....
Watch it..... can you as a Cavs fan even be in the discussion?!

dude....ohio...

really?

Can you even be in the discussion?...

look up "biased" in the dictionary 'son'
I think you're the one that needs to.
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
glasses.gif

I know I'm biased
laugh.gif

But this thread has nothing to do with Cleveland Cavs, Browns, or Indians...

New York is basketball. Just like Sebasitan explained in Through the Fire, you can't go anywhere in NY without seeing a basketball court. West 4th, thegarden (coney version), kingdome, Rucker, Inwood, all these place are some of the most famous pickup basketball places in the world. It is the mecca becauseeveryone in NY plays ball or knows ball a little. Y'all country @%% cats can take football, but we are basketball.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

New York is basketball. Just like Sebasitan explained in Through the Fire, you can't go anywhere in NY without seeing a basketball court. West 4th, the garden (coney version), kingdome, Rucker, Inwood, all these place are some of the most famous pickup basketball places in the world. It is the mecca because everyone in NY plays ball or knows ball a little. Y'all country @%% cats can take football, but we are basketball.
pimp.gif
QFMFT

Registered Member

12/06/08 12:11 AM

this guy outtacontrol just hit his 10,000th post in a thread about ny
laugh.gif

As a Chicagoan, I will say NY is the place to be.

But regardless, the last ten years or so...

Chicago Basketball >>>>>> New York...

New York is basketball. Just like Sebasitan explained in Through the Fire, you can't go anywhere in NY without seeing a basketball court. West 4th, the garden (coney version), kingdome, Rucker, Inwood, all these place are some of the most famous pickup basketball places in the world. It is the mecca because everyone in NY plays ball or knows ball a little. Y'all country @%% cats can take football, but we are basketball.
pimp.gif

You can say that about most North East cities though. I think this is one thing we can all agree on just because something is more knowndoesn't make it better.

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

As a Chicagoan, I will say NY is the place to be.

But regardless, the last ten years or so...

Chicago Basketball >>>>>> New York...
I respect the first part...but did u really have to rub in the last one
laugh.gif

edit: and to the guy who said he doesn't consider ny the mecca of anything...u ever hear of hip hop?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I had to put that in... Funny how Telfair was supposed to be the next great point guard, but Derrick Rose took that
pimp.gif

We've been producing great talent lately.

the great western forum has more history and championships than msg. the garden isnt the mecca of anything.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
There's a reason why I kept ignoring this post and now I'm notsurprised at some of the responses, especially when it involves something nyc
grin.gif

NY is the "Mecca" of basketball, but it goes way beyond MSG. I think basketball and hip-hop are somewhat intertwined with each other, and are soprevalent in NY that it's become a part of the "NY" culture, and thus, a part of life. Did someone really try to justify an answer to thisquestion by mentioning the Knicks defense in the '90s though?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

rucker_drj.jpg

Pictures like this makes you understand why NY was the Mecca of basketball.

A lot of salty haters in here. I mean its really bad. I don't care for NY and some of its people but I do respect how serious they take basketball overthere. There is a reason why Kareem wanted to go there. We just got lucky enough to snatch him up.

The game of basketball was and still is taken so serious out there. I don't see how this slips peoples minds but during the early 2000's summers NBAplayer were going to the Rucker to ball. Stars came out and I am pretty sure this still goes on in the summer. Do you see things like that In CHI, LA or whereever else? You may but not on the level that the Rucker has had it.

Some people just need to stop crying. Every player who plays ball want to go to MSG for a reason. All street ballers and NBA players want to go to the Ruckerfor a reason. Get off your high horses and just give respect where respect is due.

Originally Posted by tupac003

rucker_drj.jpg

A lot of salty haters in here. I mean its really bad. I don't care for NY and some of its people but I do respect how serious they take basketball over there. There is a reason why Kareem wanted to go there. We just got lucky enough to snatch him up.

The game of basketball was and still is taken so serious out there. I don't see how this slips peoples minds but during the early 2000's summers NBA player were going to the Rucker to ball. Stars came out and I am pretty sure this still goes on in the summer. Do you see things like that In CHI, LA or where ever else? You may but not on the level that the Rucker has had it.

Some people just need to stop crying. Every player who plays ball want to go to MSG for a reason. All street ballers and NBA players want to go to the Rucker for a reason. Get off your high horses and just give respect where respect is due.

Well said my man, well said
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ the New York haters
smh.gif

+%!@ is disgusting...
smh.gif

It's always the same folks too...
grin.gif

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

I'm not surprised at some of the responses, especially when it involves something nyc
grin.gif
Neither am I.
Originally Posted by tupac003

rucker_drj.jpg

A lot of salty haters in here. I mean its really bad. I don't care for NY and some of its people but I do respect how serious they take basketball over there. There is a reason why Kareem wanted to go there. We just got lucky enough to snatch him up.

The game of basketball was and still is taken so serious out there. I don't see how this slips peoples minds but during the early 2000's summers NBA player were going to the Rucker to ball. Stars came out and I am pretty sure this still goes on in the summer. Do you see things like that In CHI, LA or where ever else? You may but not on the level that the Rucker has had it.

Some people just need to stop crying. Every player who plays ball want to go to MSG for a reason. All street ballers and NBA players want to go to the Rucker for a reason. Get off your high horses and just give respect where respect is due.
[Frank Lucas]My man...
pimp.gif
[/Frank Lucas]

To the guy who said Chicago basketball > NYC basketball the last 10 years...you're right. No one should argue that...the talent y'all have producedrecently is > NY's.

I respect that...
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

But thinking and reading about it, basketball wasn't even founded in NYC. It was originally created by Dr. Naismith in Massachusetts.

So, basketball was founded in Massachusetts and the Boston Celtics have the most NBA titles...seems like a compelling argument to me....
I could quote your other amusing replies, but I'm trying to keep it civil...I'll tell you why that right there is wrong...

1). It's been stressed by others in this thread, but NYC being the mecca isn't only about the Knicks...you can't base the "title", so tospeak, just off an NBA team in a city and its success...basketball is a way of life in NY, it's part of the cultureover there...like worldbeefreeg said, you'd be hard pressed to go a few blocks around here and NOT see a basketballcourt of some sort...people take it much more seriously in NY than they would anywhere else...

2).
Originally Posted by allen3xis

And more than the arena, As a person who's been in both boston and NY....as far as hoops goes....Boston does not even come close.
I could vouch for him on this.

I don't care if the Patriots win the next three SB's.

Or if the Celtics have a run like the team in the 80's.

The Red Sox will ALWAYS be #1 and baseball will ALWAYS be #1 to the city of Boston, the state of Massachusetts and the entireNew England area. It's just the way it is. While there has been a lot of attention given to the other teams in the past years, you best believe theRed Sox are still the main team around here and always will be...even in the offseason, they still dominate a lot of the sports discussions taking place...

The Knicks haven't been relevant in the 00's, yet y'all see how much people still follow this team and the Garden continues to sell out or close toit. Not the same case when the Celtics used to suck for all those years...

^Man why you gotta rag on my boy outacontrol like that?
laugh.gif
I'm with you on this one though, see my post above.

Back
Top Bottom