Why is the Younger Sibling Almost Always The Better Looking One?

lol que i may be biased cause I'm an the oldest but i assumed the oldest sibling is always the more intelligent, successful, athletic, tallest etc I assumed that was the "generalization" not the opposite

Firstborn

Personality: Firstborns are ambitious, assertive, dominant and disciplined compared to their younger siblings. They're determined to succeed yet fearful of losing position and rank, and are defensive about errors and mistakes, Dattner says.

Compensation: A recent survey by CareerBuilder.com found that workers who were the firstborn child in their families were more likely to earn $100,000 or more annually compared to their siblings.

Professions: The oldest tend to pursue vocations that require higher education, like medicine, engineering or law. Firstborns from the CareerBuilder.com survey reported working in jobs in government, engineering, pharmacy and science. Ohio State University researchers found firstborn children were more likely to pursue "intellectual" jobs.

Job level: Workers who are firstborn are more likely to report holding a vice president or senior management position, according to the survey.

Famous firstborns: Oprah, Hillary Clinton, Winston Churchill, Sylvester Stallone and Bill Clinton.

Middle

Personality: Middle children are good at negotiation, peacemaking and compromise, Dattner says. They are easy-going, diplomatic and are usually closer to friends than family.

Compensation: More middle children identified themselves as earning $35,000 or less per year than firstborn or youngest children, according to the CareerBuilder.com survey.

Professions: Middles tend to have excellent negotiating and people skills -- anything that employs these skills is a great fit. Middle children from the CareerBuilder.com survey said they work in nursing, law enforcement, firefighting and machine operation.

Job level: Middle children were more likely to identify with professional and technical staff level positions in the CareerBuilder.com survey. They also reported being the most satisfied with their current positions.

Famous middles: David Letterman, Richard Nixon, Madonna and Princess Diana.

Youngest

Personality: Youngest children love the limelight and are used to sitting in it. They are charming, creative, have a good sense of humor and manipulate others when they want to get their way.

Compensation: Last borns were the least likely to report earning six figures, according to the CareerBuilder.com survey.

Professions: Youngest children often gravitate toward artistic and outdoor jobs, according to the OSU survey. They're also successful in journalism, advertising, sales and athletics. Those who responded to the CareerBuilder.com survey reported working in art, design, sales and information technology.

Job level: The majority of last borns in the CareerBuilder.com survey held administrative and clerical level positions. They also reported being the least satisfied in their current jobs.

Famous younglings: Jim Carrey, Billy Crystal, Steve Martin, Cameron Diaz and Rosie O'Donnell.

First borns are doing it
pimp.gif
From my experience the youngest ones seem to be the least successful, not sure about about looks tho that ones a toss up

My older bro is butt ugly, but so is my younger bro. He looks like a mole-rat. I'm the one with the most energy and charisma. My older bro is anti-social and my younger bro loves to pig out and never exercises. I've noticed this phenomenon with my mates.

I feel like the older one is usually more of the one who tries too hard, always trying to impress the younger siblings and usually thinks he's doing it.

The younger one can learn from their mistakes and are usually smarter/more reasonable.

0627081013_M_062708_AlyAJ4.jpg

Aly 
pimp.gif
                                                AJ 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Nako XL

I'm not saying it's true 100% of the time, but I've just noticed from personal experience and friends, most of the time the younger sibling seems way more attractive.  Both physically and personality/charisma wise.  We just performed a small sample study through facebook and found it to be true in about 25 out of 30 cases.

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

BTW Nako, is Team Scene looking for any tracks?  Just wondering?
nerd.gif

We're always looking for tracks fam.  Hit me up on Twitter or with a PM.
Will do.

We are the better athletes too!
pimp.gif

Of course, everyone in this thread who isn't the younger sibling will say it's not the case. Riiiigghhhtttt.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by gaseousfashion

Where's the proof?

I'm the only one who at least provided proof in the form of a survey

Advertise | AdChoices

Advertise | AdChoices

Advertise | AdChoices

[h1] Sorry, kid, first-borns really are smarter [/h1] [h2] Birth order makes a difference when it comes to brains, personality, study finds [/h2]
  1. [h4]Below:[/h4]

Advertise | AdChoices

By Rachael Rettner
sourceLiveScience-2.gif

updated 8/12/2010 6:54:03 PM ET 2010-08-12T22:54:03
SAN DIEGO — Birth order within families has long sparked sibling rivalry, but it might also impact the child's personality and intelligence, a new study suggests. First-borns are typically smarter, while younger siblings get better grades and are more outgoing, the researchers say.

1. Don't miss these Health stories

1. AP file
      Should you eat that hot dog?
      Check the ingredients on your fave brand -- if it contains this chemical, don't chow down. Click for more of TODAY’s do-it-yourself “Detox your life

[h1]New Birth-Order Study: Parents Spend More Time With First-Borns[/h1]
The Juggle HOME PAGE »

[h3]By Sue Shellenbarger[/h3]
twoundertwo_art_257_20080903100940.jpg

Getty Images

Some of you have asked for more discussion on birth order, and commented on how your own kids’ personalities seem to be shaped by it. I second that: My older child has both assets and challenges often linked to firstborn status.

For the first time, a 2008 study has produced empirical evidence about the possible causes. First-born children receive 20 to 30 more minutes of daily quality time from parents than second-born kids of the same age from similar families, says the research. Although many people have hypothesized that firstborns get more parental time, this study, by Joseph Price of Brigham Young University, is the first I’ve seen that has the data to prove it.

Most other studies have focused on outcomes – on children’s personalities and traits later in life – and have found firstborns tend to have higher IQs and to be more high-achieving and conscientious; later-born children tend to be more rebellious, liberal and agreeable.

There’s also a silver lining for later-born kids, however, as Sara noted here: Parents often discipline firstborns more harshly, and cut later-born children more slack to misbehave. Also, other studies have disagreed with conventional thinking on birth order; this research found little evidence that it affects social attitudes, challenging the notion that firstborns are more conservative, supportive of authority and “tough-minded.

Hmmm... I'm not sure. I'm the oldest, but my younger brother and I have been mistaken for twins. Obviously fraternal cos I'm a girl...

So does being mistaken as twins theoretically mean we are equally good looking?
laugh.gif

And I can vouch for myself being the more intellectually, athletically amazing one.

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey
Finally a post in here with a claim that isnt baseless, no slurp.

Yea I'm not even touching on the looks thing, even Nako knows that's stupid and very subjective not sure why he created this thread-he's the oldest
grin.gif

However, it is well known or at least has been hypothesized from observation that older siblings tend to get more quality nurturing from their parents-less competition and more resources go to them during their development especially before the birth of younger siblings

Surveys and studies have been done and first borns tend to do better in their careers, go into high paying careers, make way more money (according to careerbuilder surver over 100 grand more a year than younger siblings), etc

Back
Top Bottom