Will sonically good gangster rap ever make its way back into Mainstream?

very subjective question? but alot of the golden era , put it like this 80% of the golden era had gangster(authentic hood elements) to the theme of the music? now all i hear is party records and stunt(baller) records but the balance of good/bad is missing?

/discuss if you old enough to remember hearing these records back then

Last edited:
It can but I'd be surprised. Hiphop audiences are completely different than the audiences of the golden era. For example, Jay-Z's album was used to promote one of the most popular smartphones, I doubt anyone in 96 imagined that happening.
That type of gangster rap is a niche nowadays.

Da real question should be will gangsta rap ever

Be as lyrical as years past...cuz gangsta rap is as

Mainstream as ever...ya dont listen to lyrics?

These rap records are not gangster records, they are all party or baller records, i havent heard a single about the downside of hood life is a long time, and by that i mean a really good 1.

I think this is a great example, biggie at the height of his debut career, goes with a masterpiece record about the paranoia of being a rich hood dude. Ross just got shot and i doubt dude would make a record as honest as this.

Biggie was in another moth******** zone with this joint.

Last edited:
probably not, i don't see it being as big as before. all these so called gangsta rappers ain't trying to save the artform, they just stuck in the past keeping their music grip tight and stored. i'm sick of waiting for these artists dropping music, they scared to drop.

Last edited:
I don't consider Tupac or Biggie gangsta rap.

Gangsta rap is WC, Spice 1, CMW & MC Eiht, Kool G Rap, DJ Quik, Above The Law, NWA.

I like Freddie Gibbs. When listening to him, it brings me back to those early 90's

LEP Bogus Boys, Nipsey Hussle, Maino and Uncle Murda are doing it too

You can also say Pusha T's doing it.

Gibbs was the ***** i thought was going to bring gangsta rap back to the forefront when he linked with Jeezy, but you know how that went. So nah i don't think so.

with artists like Drake, J.Cole, Kendrick being pushed to the forefront you can say Gangsta rap is a thing of the past. the artform keeps changing, and some rappers are left behind.

The only _ that really makes gangster rap now is Nipsey Hussle but I doubt he'll ever really blow up.
You mean the only rappers making gangster rap that have any kind of national footprint? You can add Gibbs to that list.  Gangsta rap has fully transitioned to being a niche sub category, it's almost entirely regional too, it wont ever make it back to the mainstream. There's still sonically good, lyrical gangsta rap out there you just gotta know where to find it.

Last edited:
I can't forget Philly, basically the entire city besides Chill Moody and Black Thought does gangsta rap

on a large scale probably not but Schoolboy Q could do it for himself.

he embodies everything y'all talking about.

from LA, used to really bang, and is sonically :pimp:

yea your missin out on kevin gates blue...give his luca brasi tape a spin in the whip I gurantee you won't be disappointed

No.

No real gangsters need rap to break bread anymore like they did in the 90's.  Closest thing you will get is some coke rapr os something...but it will never make it the mainstream.. Times have changed.  The mainstream isn't tough like that anymore, or gives off the image of being tough.

A lot plays into it, from fashion changes, to watch the ******* want.  majority of these chicks not ******g with thugs anymore

Back
Top Bottom