Will sonically good gangster rap ever make its way back into Mainstream?

Trap jump off the hinges n the trenches all in the alleyways
Had to say each and every day we grabbin paper

Trap jump off the hinges n the trenches all in the alleyways
Had to say each and every day we grabbin paper

No. As someone said before this isn't looked at as a way out as much for real gangsters anymore. And gangster rap was so good back then because it was already popular, so the dudes who weren't so gangster but were great rappers were going with the times. Giving you that lyrical, sonically sound music you speak of.

Gangsta rap will never make a comeback for the simple fact that here are very few real gansters left.
MOST of these artists have NEVER lived the street life. They just rap about it.
That is the main difference between then and now.
Back then rappers werent making the kind of money they make now. People would look to banging and drugs to get money
These days rappers forego the hustle entirely and choose instead to talk about these things as if it is part of their lives.

Gangsta rap is gone forever. This is the era of Fairytale rap.
Everything these guys say is a f'n fairytale.
From how much money they make, to how they make it, to how they are living.
FAKE everything. Rented Cars. Made up personas= 90% of today's rap artists

Gangsta rap isn't gone

Everything moves in cycles of popularity....from party, to hardcore, to party, to hardcore

When Jeezy and TI are talking about the trap, that's gangsta rap

It's just different forms.

MOP isn't gangsta rap?

MOP? They havent been relevant since "Ante Up." Im pretty sure they dont even count anymore.
The question is "sonically good" gangsta rap.

When Jeezy and T.I. talk about the trap that is two artists talking about things they haven't done for over 10 years.
When you are at the level that T.I. and Jeezy are at, there is no need for you to sell drugs. They make way more money rappin.
Plus they know that selling dope is no longer a viable way to make money, with all the technology out there.
Selling drugs to make a living is a thing of the late 80's and 90's

"I make millions off of words, I ain't got time to score Gs off of birds" -C-Murder

Prime example is Rick Ross. How many kilos do you honestly think he moves?
As soon as rappers figured out that they can just rap about being gangsta without actually living it, gangsta rap died.
There are a few artists here and there but for the most part it's gone.

MOP? They havent been relevant since "Ante Up." Im pretty sure they dont even count anymore.
The question is "sonically good" gangsta rap.

When Jeezy and T.I. talk about the trap that is two artists talking about things they haven't done for over 10 years.
When you are at the level that T.I. and Jeezy are at, there is no need for you to sell drugs. They make way more money rappin.
Plus they know that selling dope is no longer a viable way to make money, with all the technology out there.
Selling drugs to make a living is a thing of the late 80's and 90's

"I make millions off of words, I ain't got time to score Gs off of birds" -C-Murder

Prime example is Rick Ross. How many kilos do you honestly think he moves?
As soon as rappers figured out that they can just rap about being gangsta without actually living it, gangsta rap died.
There are a few artists here and there but for the most part it's gone.

Because you don't listen to them, doesn't mean they aren't relevant :smh:

And I think you're having another argument.

Ice Cube and Ice T weren't having drive bys when they were rapping about it either. That's no different than Jeezy or TI.

They were still talking about the reality of the streets and their environment.

And there are plenty of rappers who still dabble in illegal activities. Noted by your example of C Murda getting the murder charge after being a rapper.

Bruh...you can't really believe MOP is relevant.

What's relevant in music?

Getting played on the radio 20 times a day? French Montana is relevant?

If people still listen to them and they can tour. They have some relevancy.

Am I comparing them to Jay-Z? Use your brain.

Last edited:
What's relevant in music?

Getting played on the radio 20 times a day? French Montana is relevant?

If people still listen to them and they can tour. They have some relevancy.

Am I comparing them to Jay-Z? Use your brain.

man i cant even name 5 MOP fans out of people i know online and in person

they only relevant to people still wear rocawear

laugh.gif
 it's always hilarious to see people say something stupid on here and stop at no end to justify it.

Where are they "touring" at? 
roll.gif

:lol:  it's always hilarious to see people say something stupid on here and stop at no end to justify it.

Where are they "touring" at? 
roll.gif

Maybe my post was above your head, and that's why you concentrated on the MOP part.

And yes, MOP tours across the world. Because you don't know about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You seem ignorant to a lot of stuff.

They just did a Canadian tour the past two months and Highline last month :rolleyes

Maybe I should bring up them touring France and Austria earlier?

So what did you say about something stupid :smh:

Imma disregard that MOP nonsense. But trap rap for the most part is not realties of the hood, as someone said its dudes lying to brag about **** they never did more so than anything. So as it's been said before real gangster music like OP was talking about is still out there, but it will not be going mainstream again. The little bit of street cats still going the music route are hustlers tryna make a living the right way. Unfortunately gangster rap don't pay off anymore, no ones rushing to go from making money in the street to starving making gangster rap simply for musics sake.

Maybe my post was above your head, and that's why you concentrated on the MOP part.

And yes, MOP tours across the world. Because you don't know about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You seem ignorant to a lot of stuff.

They just did a Canadian tour the past two months and Highline last month
eyes.gif

Maybe I should bring up them touring France and Austria earlier?

So what did you say about something stupid
mean.gif
Dude just stop. MOP aren't relevant, look at the thread title, context clues bo. 

Dude just stop. MOP aren't relevant, look at the thread title, context clues bo. 

If you would have been following along, the topic had also gone to real gangstas don't make music anymore and it was gone.

That's what comprehension is and following along with the discussion and not just picking apart one sentence.

"problem"
i consider him a party rapper/ drug rapper, sure he has elements of actually hood life, but for the most part his music is focused towards having fun.

I also find it interested that yall dont believe gangsters see it as a way out, i can not even name the million of acts ive seen try rapper since the internet invasion "that are hood dudes", I think
people get being a hood dude and a tier 1 drug dealer confused. Being a highly successful drug dealer is harder than making the NBA in 2013. To the guy mention MOP i
respect your opinion on them, but im talking more so about the future of rappers. I mean ive seen like 15 different era's in hip hop since ive been able to comprehend the music.
The era we are in now, is so party its so fun there is zero substance to any of it, but in reality we(urban environment) is still so broken and still lost. So many afraid to speak their truths, well the ones with talent at least.

so to swing the topic back to where it should be, not do gangsters wanna rap anymore lets look at a artist like

school boy q

will songs like this ever be popular singles again?

heres a golden era popular single for cross-reference

If you would have been following along, the topic had also gone to real gangstas don't make music anymore and it was gone.

That's what comprehension is and following along with the discussion and not just picking apart one sentence.
But MOP still aren't relevant though. 
laugh.gif

OK dude, you win, so we can get beyond your immaturity and talk about the subject.

laugh.gif
 @ son continuously throwing out "immature" and questioning people's intelligence if you say MOP isn't relevant. 

I doubt it'll ever come back, but I sure wish it would. That Schoolboy Q song is fire. I would be so happy if that song were to get radio burn.

Back
Top Bottom