Will Yao Ming be in the Hall of Fame?

1) This is the Basketball HOF so I can see his international (China specifically) impact getting him in.
2) This is also the reason why there needs to be an NBA HOF. How is Stern not all over this?? Surely there's some money to be made from this.

Great player, terrible injury-filled career. Hall of famers won, changed the game, dominated, etc. Not much of those from Yao, even though we all know what he "could have" done. Just my opinion, great guy though

Great player, terrible injury-filled career. Hall of famers won, changed the game, dominated, etc. Not much of those from Yao, even though we all know what he "could have" done. Just my opinion, great guy though

Alright tell me if I was in the wrong...

Long story short two guys at the gym said Yao was going to be better than Tim Duncan since he was going to continue developing. I said no since Tim was more versatile than Yao and while Yao was stronger Tim had more quickness making him a better defender.

Dude even went far enough to cite my age as why I was wrong
laugh.gif
what do you guys think?

Alright tell me if I was in the wrong...

Long story short two guys at the gym said Yao was going to be better than Tim Duncan since he was going to continue developing. I said no since Tim was more versatile than Yao and while Yao was stronger Tim had more quickness making him a better defender.

Dude even went far enough to cite my age as why I was wrong
laugh.gif
what do you guys think?

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

1) This is the Basketball HOF so I can see his international (China specifically) impact getting him in.

And what exactly did he achieve with China? What are China's best results in the Olympics and World Championships with him on the team? Was he the MVP of any international tournaments? Hell, he's not even the first player from China to play in the NBA, so you can't use that argument either (not that it would be a good argument if he was).

And what exactly did he achieve with China? What are China's best results in the Olympics and World Championships with him on the team? Was he the MVP of any international tournaments? Hell, he's not even the first player from China to play in the NBA, so you can't use that argument either (not that it would be a good argument if he was).

^ It ain't even about what he did on the court internationally. It's the impact on the people of China and their interest in the game now.

Yao ain't done. He can still make an impact off the court.

^ It ain't even about what he did on the court internationally. It's the impact on the people of China and their interest in the game now.

Yao ain't done. He can still make an impact off the court.

Yao might be considered due to the fact asian players before him and even after him cannot compare to what he has done on and off the court. I cant think of anyone that can hate on Yao Ming. Dude was a work horse and was humble as a rock. Yao has nothing but good graces and even had a better than decent stat line whenever he played. Injury played a huge role on getting him where he is at now. If he was fully healthy(big 'if", I know) dude would still be beasting on Dwight Howard(currently the best center) as he always have.

Yao might be considered due to the fact asian players before him and even after him cannot compare to what he has done on and off the court. I cant think of anyone that can hate on Yao Ming. Dude was a work horse and was humble as a rock. Yao has nothing but good graces and even had a better than decent stat line whenever he played. Injury played a huge role on getting him where he is at now. If he was fully healthy(big 'if", I know) dude would still be beasting on Dwight Howard(currently the best center) as he always have.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

He brought in a crap load of fans. But I guess you just choose to ignore that. I'm not saying that should justify his worthiness but I'm saying voters might see it that way.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

He brought in a crap load of fans. But I guess you just choose to ignore that. I'm not saying that should justify his worthiness but I'm saying voters might see it that way.

[h3]Yao's Hall Of Fame Bid To Begin Immediately In Contributor Category[/h3]
Aug 09, 2011 1:56 PM EDT

Yao_Ming_hou_090510a.jpg

Yao Ming could be eligible for the Basketball Hall of Fame as soon as the next class.

Officials of the basketball museum said representatives from the Chinese Basketball Association and media in China signaled plans to nominate Yao in the contributor category and that he will bypass the standard five-year waiting period for retired players.

Yao being nominated as a contributor removes the debate that might have accompanied his nomination as a player after an injury-plagued career. 

When Yao retired, NBA commissioner David Stern called him a "transformational player and a testament to the globalization of our game" and that "his dominant play and endearing demeanor along with his extensive humanitarian efforts have made him an international fan favorite and provided an extraordinary bridge between basketball fans in the United States and China." 

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...diately_In_Contributor_Category#ixzz1UZhdgcfH

[h3]Yao's Hall Of Fame Bid To Begin Immediately In Contributor Category[/h3]
Aug 09, 2011 1:56 PM EDT

Yao_Ming_hou_090510a.jpg

Yao Ming could be eligible for the Basketball Hall of Fame as soon as the next class.

Officials of the basketball museum said representatives from the Chinese Basketball Association and media in China signaled plans to nominate Yao in the contributor category and that he will bypass the standard five-year waiting period for retired players.

Yao being nominated as a contributor removes the debate that might have accompanied his nomination as a player after an injury-plagued career. 

When Yao retired, NBA commissioner David Stern called him a "transformational player and a testament to the globalization of our game" and that "his dominant play and endearing demeanor along with his extensive humanitarian efforts have made him an international fan favorite and provided an extraordinary bridge between basketball fans in the United States and China." 

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...diately_In_Contributor_Category#ixzz1UZhdgcfH

Back
Top Bottom