Working at VECTOR

from their website 
laugh.gif

[h1]FEATURED REPRESENTATIVE[/h1]
[h2]TIME WELL SPENT with Austin Nissly[/h2]Since I only work with Cutco during the summers, my goal is to maximize my time so that I will have the income at the end of the summer that will allow me to pursue my special interests during the year, go on spring-break and help my parents with my living expenses while I’m at Boston College. Vector is my “stepping-stone

^^ that dude all about that hustle lol...pushing for vector and selling snap backs on campus
laugh.gif

OK, i'm going to try and be as honest and unbiased as possible right now:

The problem with certain network marketing/MLM companies is the way that certain contractors/teams/groups advertise their business. Often times, they improperly explain their compensation plans, set unrealistic expectations and make false company claims.

Certain companies can be considered pyramid schemes if:
1) the person at the top of the network is making the most money
2) there is no way a new distributor can earn more than (or get promoted to a level higher) than a previous distributor above them
3) there is no product or service

Essentially, network marketing is exactly what it sounds like. you market your product/service through your personal networks and are compensated for how much you're able to effectively sell. you ARE NOT an employee; rather an independent contractor, basically a franchisee of whoever originally introduced you into the company. So its not a job, its a business. And to start any business, you need an investment of time & money (i.e. those Cutco knives you guys initially had to purchase).

With that said, it is not impossible to make money or be unethical in network marketing. Coming out of college, I had a really good experience with Usana Health Sciences as a part-time venture (in addition to my full-time job). Made $11K during my first year (putting ~8 hrs/week), learned a lot about personal health, networked with over 400 distributors, grew a ton professionally, and went on two all-expenses-paid vacations (Miami & Salt Lake City).

The majority of my customer-base were friends and co-workers who asked me about the protein/fiber shakes I was always drinking and the vitamin oxidation comparison test results I randomly posted online on FB. Company partnerships with the Women's Tennis Association, Manny Pacquiao, & 15 Olympic Teams didn't hurt either. Also didn't pay a single penny in taxes; but instead got an additional $900 back through tax-writeoffs. Would like to continue this year, but have my hands tied with some family businesses going on. However, beware, other Usana groups will focus solely on recruitment, while rarely ever focusing on building a traditional customer-based business.

If you have a vast open-minded network, have a product you truly are passionate about/have personal testimonies about, and aren't some lying prick... the business is possible. As for all you considering Vector marketing, think about this very important question. How often would your customers repeatedly purchase your knives? If lucky, maybe once. Now compare this business model to a company's like Comcast, where they get monthly payments from the same exact customers, without having to search for new ones, month after month.

If you want a career in direct sales, repeatable business is KEY!

EDIT: 5000th post. 8th year on NT!

I worked at Vector for a month during the summer of 08.  like wcghost said its not just a job, its your own personal business, so your entrepreneur

With that being said, its not easy to do, and if you dont put in work, you wont make money.

I made $840 in about 4 weeks. i was tryna sell these knives in Brooklyn, not easy to do.

I had to do alot of appointments a week, and more often than not, I ended up not selling anything cuz lets be real - nobodys tryna spend $1000 on some knives.  In order to make bread and be successful, you have to be personable, have a network of people to start out with, and you have to get recommendations from people and YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THRU WITH THEM TO MAKE APPOINTMENTS.

No appointments means no sales, and no sales means no money.  but in order to make sales you have know the product and learn the script for closing sales or u wont sell anything

you also just cant try to sell to anybody.  Theres a target market and you have to stick with it. married couple with kids are the target because they cook and have jobs where they can afford to buy the homemaker set. actually the target is the wives because most of the time they'll actually be the ones using it. homemakers r where you make money. regular people like u and me are not buying cut-co

working for vector was not fun tho. I had no car so I had to walk to every appt. in my suit in the hot sun. only good thing was that the girls i worked with were bad
devil.gif
.  My boss was an idiot. he had unrealistic goals and wanted us to sell alot cuz the more we sold, the more he got paid. we had weekly meeting which wasnt bad, but if you weren't selling he took away your basepay.  he would also make you come in early and do phone time which is calling people to set up appointments early in the morning. so i was gettin cussed out by people for calling them at 9 in the morning to ask them if they would let me show them knives
30t6p3b.gif
    he took away my base pay when i wasnt making sales
mad.gif
u get paid per appointment (when I did it it was $18.50 per appt) and i would book mad appointments so i would get money.  cuz nobody had money for these expensive @$% knives.  when I finally did make sales it was good getting that 10% commission and i was hype when I got promoted to 15% commission
pimp.gif

from my training class of like 30 people, I was 1 of 4 people who actually made sales and actually made money. the rest of them quit. It all goes back to being personable with people and having enthusiasm when you're showing the cut-co and learning how to close sales. basically follow the scripts they give you. those are the key when working in sales

the good parts of vector are:
* if you sell alot you can make bread because the more u sell the higher the percentage of commission u make get till u get like 50% on every sale (take a long time and alot of work to get there tho)
*it teaches you good selling and people skills
*the business meeting and conferences with other offices and regions are fun tho cuz its like a big party, some of the girls are bad
devil.gif
, and they hype u up to sell more
*the knives are actually good tho

but like i said, if you dont put it work u get nothing

The knives aren't good knives, either. They may try to pull you in by showing you that it can cut rope, but any expert chef will tell you knives aren't meant to cut rope, just meat and produce.

OP nobody buys knives from door to door salesmen.
there are always going to be people who succeed against the odds at places like vector though

I did it for like two weeks. It sucks and I wish I never did it. Its legit though and can work for some people. If you are great at sales and/or have connections to people who are willingly to spend good money for some knives then its worth doing and you prolly will make a lot of money. If not, don't waste your time. They get you with the "we'll pay you $15/appointment." I never heard of anyone getting paid out, so wouldn't try the setting up appointments with your friends and then quit after you get paid.

yo this is a @@#! garbabge job you will waste your time racking up sales and money for your bosses to reap most of the benefit. I literally signed up when I was 18 like I was being recruited, they want to attract the younger highschool dudes first, and trust me their Interview is stupid easy! Consider it a Blessing if you dont get hired by them! They have some the best advertisers talking out of their mind just to convince you that you can easily become a district manager in like 1 month. pure baloney anybody knows that first off your first customers are gonna be your friends and family who will feel sorry for you and might purchase a small set that is what $600! Then dudes will tell you to set up appointments with another person in your team and you gotta drive around with the person you just met in like 10 minutes. crazyness. one time they say oh we're gonna attend an actual graduation and hand out our flyers! security at the place just look at you like hawkers and tell you to get the eff off the property. They try to make it sound so easy and have these mood booster meetings and honestly it looks like you just attended a happy "pass the blunt dude" meeting. I swear I read on a blog that they put money in a blender and shredded it up just to floss that they got money. What the hell? Mindless. Its a hustling job typical salesman crap it aint a scam its just very hard to sell "quality" knives that could probably be purchased for a discount elsewhere. They got those little handouts that claim $16/hr however you gotta make like 100s of appointments and sell stuff too, so its more like you get paid by what you sell. Unless you are a very very good seller and smooth talker, dont waste your time with this

Back
Top Bottom