Would YOU Have An Issue If YOUR Wife Doesn't Want To Take On YOUR Last Name? Why or Why Not?

Originally Posted by Supermanblue79

Unless she is a PhD, an author, a musician with published work under her maiden name then there's no reason for her not to.
But at the same time she shouldn't be forced to. Love is bigger than last names.
This is the truth

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

Marriage is an agreed MUTUAL dependence upon one another. There is no such thing as a committed wife who's independent, nor is there a such thing as a committed husband who is independent. Marriage merges two lives into one for the better of the union. That's all there is to it.
1sbj86.gif

i would def have issues. i cant have a wife with just having her own last name i cant have that

Originally Posted by pip777

Marriage is an agreed MUTUAL dependence upon one another. There is no such thing as a committed wife who's independent, nor is there a such thing as a committed husband who is independent. Marriage merges two lives into one for the better of the union. That's all there is to it.
1sbj86.gif

Game. Set. Match.

Im not one for "tradition" to begin with, but as far something as sacred as the unity and bond of MARRIAGE (a word that has SEVERELY lost itsmeaning), i would wholeheartedly want my wife to take my last name.

What part of the game is this? She can have her last name become her middle name but thats it.

I hope you all are virgins before marriage if you're so into tradition/religion.

if my wife's name was Mike and my last name was Hunt, i could understand her not wanting to take my last name.

Probably. Don't see myself getting married tho.

Marriage is about compromise so I'd settle for a hyphen "______-______"

Probably. Don't see myself getting married tho.

Marriage is about compromise so I'd settle for a hyphen "______-______"

This is nothing new to me. My parents have been married for over 25 years and the have separate last name.

My Moms kept her last name, and my parents don't have a problem with it at all
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by pip777

1sbj86.gif
(The Rock... Hot)

So sharing each others names makes perfect sense. Sounds like hyphens should be the norm or "tradition" to me. I agree w/ the statement here forsure I just don't think that means the woman takes the mans name only.
This is nothing new to me. My parents have been married for over 25 years and the have separate last name.

My Moms kept her last name, and my parents don't have a problem with it at all
tongue.gif

Exactly. Peopleact like the world is going to end if spouses have different names. Craziness.
laugh.gif

Nah dirty, I'm boiling it down to symbolism. Certain things mean a lot to certain people. Over the years, a ring has come to symbolize such and such with females. Well the last name argument is one that is heavy with symbolism as far as I'm concerned.
Wouldn't the ring that you're wearing be a more apt comparison then?

The ring means nothing to me personally. The key to symbolism is that it has to be relative to what's important to the other person. My surnameanchors me. I can't really add anything further to this convo. We'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree. If I reach your age, maybeI'll see things your way. After all, it is all about maturity isn't it? But until then, I'm holding my ground on this one.

My mom used to be on the feminist steez when she was young so she kept her own last name. So I could really care less either way.

Back
Top Bottom