Would you Tip?

I work in IT for the Department of Defense and we have to have Security +, A+, a Secret Clearance, and Network + and that's what they started us out at. In Government GS jobs, 32k is equivalent to a GS7 which you generally can't get without years of experience and college or some sort of preference like prior Military service in that same position.

If they feel like sub minimal wage is treating them like #+*!, whos fault is that? Hell, get a better job. Get an education.

Again, these are jobs they voluntarily signed up for. If you were enslaved into sub minimum wage + tips jobs, then yes you could guilt me into feeling sorry for you and throwing you a few bucks even though I could have easily done what you did myself and frankly would probably prefer to since they have a tendency to get salty and want to *@%$ with your food, or your car, or whatever the case may be.

I don't understand why people complain for not getting tipped. I mean if they don't like it, get another job, simple as that. Can't get another job? Deal with it. People that get mad over not getting tipped or getting "bad" tips are the worst.

On that note, I tip $2-$3 for food deliveries. At a restaurant, it's dependent on the quality of the service.

I don't understand why people complain for not getting tipped. I mean if they don't like it, get another job, simple as that. Can't get another job? Deal with it. People that get mad over not getting tipped or getting "bad" tips are the worst.

On that note, I tip $2-$3 for food deliveries. At a restaurant, it's dependent on the quality of the service.

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul wrote:

Where'd you learn that? At church? Well I'll lose my money paying for something once, not paying someone to do a job they already get paid to do. The word "service" is meaningless anyways. Damn near any job qualifies, but it's something the shrewd business owners and stupid employees who work for them try to use to guilt people into overpaying them. !@%* that. They charge like a 3$ delivery charge already, plus I know delivery drivers get gas and mileage. In fact, delivery drivers for Papa John's down here make on average about 16$ an hr. That's better than most jobs, even professionals like accountants would be happy to get that. So, they'll be alright.
Can't step foot in a church. Against the rules. Then again I don't follow the tenets of my own religion to closely either.
laugh.gif

You're mad that someone might be making ~32k/year? Cuz that's what $16 amounts to full time. Even then you're at the high end of the wage scale. 

Tips are a way for business owners to shift costs unto consumers but until the law changes that I can't punish employees for it. If my few dollars can contribute to someone else making a bit more money then I'm glad. I'll do it as long as I'm able to. These are people working minimum/near minimum wage. Even 15/hr ain't +$%* in today's America. This isn't the 70's. If you've had one of these lower paying jobs as a teenager/ young adult then  you know how %%@%%! they are. Even more of a reason to have some compassion for people and help them a bit if you can. 

Actually I have and it doesn't change my opinion 1 bit. Someone could give me a $100 tip and though I'd be happy, I'd still feel like they are getting duped.

And $32k a yr is good money nowadays, especially given the simplicity of most of these "service" jobs. Most people with college educations are happy to get that. If you can make that bagging food and filling up cups, you might as well wear a ski mask and black gloves when you cash your paychecks.

With little exception (particularly the entertainment sector), the amount of money you make it directly proportional to the level of skills/knowledge involved in your job, with then impacts the amount of people in the pool of those able to do it.

When you're doing something that requires like that much "*snaps fingers* brain power, your wages are relatively proportionate.

How much do people think they should make? People at Wal Mart or other Department Stores who do night shelf stocking make like 8$ an hour and that's far more laborious. Hell, in OK and TX police don't even make 35k starting out so the fact someone working at Olive Garden can easily make that much by servicing only an average of 2 tables of 4 and getting 10% tips is ridiculous.

And you know this cause you worked at Walmart and at a restaurant before?

Where'd you learn that? At church? Well I'll lose my money paying for something once, not paying someone to do a job they already get paid to do. The word "service" is meaningless anyways. Damn near any job qualifies, but it's something the shrewd business owners and stupid employees who work for them try to use to guilt people into overpaying them. !@%* that. They charge like a 3$ delivery charge already, plus I know delivery drivers get gas and mileage. In fact, delivery drivers for Papa John's down here make on average about 16$ an hr. That's better than most jobs, even professionals like accountants would be happy to get that. So, they'll be alright.
Can't step foot in a church. Against the rules. Then again I don't follow the tenets of my own religion to closely either.
laugh.gif

You're mad that someone might be making ~32k/year? Cuz that's what $16 amounts to full time. Even then you're at the high end of the wage scale. 

Tips are a way for business owners to shift costs unto consumers but until the law changes that I can't punish employees for it. If my few dollars can contribute to someone else making a bit more money then I'm glad. I'll do it as long as I'm able to. These are people working minimum/near minimum wage. Even 15/hr ain't +$%* in today's America. This isn't the 70's. If you've had one of these lower paying jobs as a teenager/ young adult then  you know how %%@%%! they are. Even more of a reason to have some compassion for people and help them a bit if you can. 

Actually I have and it doesn't change my opinion 1 bit. Someone could give me a $100 tip and though I'd be happy, I'd still feel like they are getting duped.

And $32k a yr is good money nowadays, especially given the simplicity of most of these "service" jobs. Most people with college educations are happy to get that. If you can make that bagging food and filling up cups, you might as well wear a ski mask and black gloves when you cash your paychecks.

With little exception (particularly the entertainment sector), the amount of money you make it directly proportional to the level of skills/knowledge involved in your job, with then impacts the amount of people in the pool of those able to do it.

When you're doing something that requires like that much "*snaps fingers* brain power, your wages are relatively proportionate.

How much do people think they should make? People at Wal Mart or other Department Stores who do night shelf stocking make like 8$ an hour and that's far more laborious. Hell, in OK and TX police don't even make 35k starting out so the fact someone working at Olive Garden can easily make that much by servicing only an average of 2 tables of 4 and getting 10% tips is ridiculous.

I work in IT for the Department of Defense and we have to have Security +, A+, a Secret Clearance, and Network + and that's what they started us out at. In Government GS jobs, 32k is equivalent to a GS7 which you generally can't get without years of experience and college or some sort of preference like prior Military service in that same position.

If they feel like sub minimal wage is treating them like #+*!, whos fault is that? Hell, get a better job. Get an education.

Again, these are jobs they voluntarily signed up for. If you were enslaved into sub minimum wage + tips jobs, then yes you could guilt me into feeling sorry for you and throwing you a few bucks even though I could have easily done what you did myself and frankly would probably prefer to since they have a tendency to get salty and want to *@%$ with your food, or your car, or whatever the case may be.

Honestly I don't want to get into the whole stagnant wages since the 70's thing so we'll just leave it here.
Not surprised you're a gov worker. Oh, and you prob get paid too much for what you do. I rather give more money to a waiter then a gov worker. [shrug]
laugh.gif

If you want to go your route, why are you complaining  about how much the feds started you of at? Should've went  private. I have a family member who's also in IT  but went private (major Defense Contractor Corp) and she was making way more than that starting out.  She's working for the Feds now too (NSA I think) but I think she's getting paid well. 

Honestly I don't want to get into the whole stagnant wages since the 70's thing so we'll just leave it here.
Not surprised you're a gov worker. Oh, and you prob get paid too much for what you do. I rather give more money to a waiter then a gov worker. [shrug]
laugh.gif

If you want to go your route, why are you complaining  about how much the feds started you of at? Should've went  private. I have a family member who's also in IT  but went private (major Defense Contractor Corp) and she was making way more than that starting out.  She's working for the Feds now too (NSA I think) but I think she's getting paid well. 

How much is a tip on a 20 dollar pizza tho(including whatever delivery charge)? Its like 3 dollars...not that serious.

I believe in karma, so I always tip generously if they aren't disrespectful. I tip even more if it's bad weather.

How much is a tip on a 20 dollar pizza tho(including whatever delivery charge)? Its like 3 dollars...not that serious.

I believe in karma, so I always tip generously if they aren't disrespectful. I tip even more if it's bad weather.

Sometimes i'm wayyyy to generous when i'm in a good mood, I tip a lot! But most of the time, i'm an +$!##$@!

To be honest, i'm not a tipping guy
grin.gif
I hardly ever tip, that whole BS "oh that's how people make their living".... I don't buy it, I see people tipping 5, 10, 20 DOLLAR BILLS! Just for putting your food on your table, food that they didn't even cook! If anything, we should tip the Chefs, not people to deliver plates.

I never understood how people believe in tips, but then they're quick to call the Health Department on the Mexican guy that's selling fruits on the corner (word to my neighbor... who by the way.... IS A WAITER
30t6p3b.gif
) they don't believe in immigrants, people that do what they need to do to survive.... key word: SURVIVE... not making a living, but just to survive the type of life they're in.

I went out to dinner the wifey's out of town family last week. They downloaded some application on their phone called 'The Tip Calculator'... i'm sure y'all know where i'm going here, like word? That's wassup these days? You need a calculator to determine what's the appropriate amount of tip?

Naww buddy, you tip what you feel like if that's the case. They asked why I didn't believe in tips? And I simply said "Wanna see my bank account? I work LABOR in Las Vegas, outside where temperatures can reach 120 degrees, or 20 degrees, getting paid MINIMUM WAGE...... yet, I never see a raise and I never see the tips"

Sometimes i'm wayyyy to generous when i'm in a good mood, I tip a lot! But most of the time, i'm an +$!##$@!

To be honest, i'm not a tipping guy
grin.gif
I hardly ever tip, that whole BS "oh that's how people make their living".... I don't buy it, I see people tipping 5, 10, 20 DOLLAR BILLS! Just for putting your food on your table, food that they didn't even cook! If anything, we should tip the Chefs, not people to deliver plates.

I never understood how people believe in tips, but then they're quick to call the Health Department on the Mexican guy that's selling fruits on the corner (word to my neighbor... who by the way.... IS A WAITER
30t6p3b.gif
) they don't believe in immigrants, people that do what they need to do to survive.... key word: SURVIVE... not making a living, but just to survive the type of life they're in.

I went out to dinner the wifey's out of town family last week. They downloaded some application on their phone called 'The Tip Calculator'... i'm sure y'all know where i'm going here, like word? That's wassup these days? You need a calculator to determine what's the appropriate amount of tip?

Naww buddy, you tip what you feel like if that's the case. They asked why I didn't believe in tips? And I simply said "Wanna see my bank account? I work LABOR in Las Vegas, outside where temperatures can reach 120 degrees, or 20 degrees, getting paid MINIMUM WAGE...... yet, I never see a raise and I never see the tips"

--They're already being paid for something that is their job to do. So I wouldnt.
--If the pizza was early though..yeah I would strongly consider a tip.

--They're already being paid for something that is their job to do. So I wouldnt.
--If the pizza was early though..yeah I would strongly consider a tip.

Originally Posted by Smokey13

laugh.gif

You act like it's a big secret how much these people make. Hell, when they were hiring for seasonal they had a big sign on the door saying it. To be even more precise, I think it was $7.77 and I got a hommie who works at Buffalo Wild Wings. He's a very social, likable dude, makes a KILLING off tips. I mean great for him but honestly, to be making like 65k a yr doing that is hilarious. He actually used to work taking care of semi independent, mentally ******ed adults for the hospital, and makes MORE filling up drinks and bringing plates.
laugh.gif

It's subjective whether or not you believe I am getting paid too much, but I certainly can't be replaced by 10 yr olds. I mean inarguably, system admin, network admin, and helpdesk support is more difficult than putting food in a bag and filling up glasses. Just the amount of prerequisite knowledge supports that.

And I'm hardly complaining, I was mentioning it for comparison's sake. What a terrible argument. It's not like I'm the one who will get pissed if someone just says thanks but doesn't tip me and !!%! up their computer on purpose next time or some dumb %%+#. When I travel,

I just put on the mean mug so nobody even attempts to help me and I don't have to be bothered with that as much. You walk in a hotel and kats damn near try to strong arm your bags out of your hand just so they can carry it to the desk and then have their hand out, or even after just opening the door. Nah thanx bruh, I'm a 26 y/o, able bodied man. I got it.

And those are the "service" jobs who make fair wage, in fact well more than minimum wage in most cases, but still get tips. So what's the justification there?

Back
Top Bottom