Would you Tip?

Originally Posted by Smokey13

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul wrote:

Where'd you learn that? At church? Well I'll lose my money paying for something once, not paying someone to do a job they already get paid to do. The word "service" is meaningless anyways. Damn near any job qualifies, but it's something the shrewd business owners and stupid employees who work for them try to use to guilt people into overpaying them. !@%* that. They charge like a 3$ delivery charge already, plus I know delivery drivers get gas and mileage. In fact, delivery drivers for Papa John's down here make on average about 16$ an hr. That's better than most jobs, even professionals like accountants would be happy to get that. So, they'll be alright.
Can't step foot in a church. Against the rules. Then again I don't follow the tenets of my own religion to closely either.
laugh.gif

You're mad that someone might be making ~32k/year? Cuz that's what $16 amounts to full time. Even then you're at the high end of the wage scale. 

Tips are a way for business owners to shift costs unto consumers but until the law changes that I can't punish employees for it. If my few dollars can contribute to someone else making a bit more money then I'm glad. I'll do it as long as I'm able to. These are people working minimum/near minimum wage. Even 15/hr ain't +$%* in today's America. This isn't the 70's. If you've had one of these lower paying jobs as a teenager/ young adult then  you know how %%@%%! they are. Even more of a reason to have some compassion for people and help them a bit if you can. 
Actually I have and it doesn't change my opinion 1 bit. Someone could give me a $100 tip and though I'd be happy, I'd still feel like they are getting duped.

And $32k a yr is good money nowadays, especially given the simplicity of most of these "service" jobs. Most people with college educations are happy to get that. If you can make that bagging food and filling up cups, you might as well wear a ski mask and black gloves when you cash your paychecks.

With little exception (particularly the entertainment sector), the amount of money you make it directly proportional to the level of skills/knowledge involved in your job, with then impacts the amount of people in the pool of those able to do it.

When you're doing something that requires like that much "*snaps fingers* brain power, your wages are relatively proportionate.

How much do people think they should make? People at Wal Mart or other Department Stores who do night shelf stocking make like 8$ an hour and that's far more laborious. Hell, in OK and TX police don't even make 35k starting out so the fact someone working at Olive Garden can easily make that much by servicing only an average of 2 tables of 4 and getting 10% tips is ridiculous.

And you know this cause you worked at Walmart and at a restaurant before?

You act like it's a big secret how much these people make. Hell, when they were hiring for seasonal they had a big sign on the door saying it. To be even more precise, I think it was $7.77 and I got a hommie who works at Buffalo Wild Wings. He's a very social, likable dude, makes a KILLING off tips. I mean great for him but honestly, to be making like 65k a yr doing that is hilarious. He actually used to work taking care of semi independent, mentally ******ed adults for the hospital, and makes MORE filling up drinks and bringing plates.
laugh.gif

It's subjective whether or not you believe I am getting paid too much, but I certainly can't be replaced by 10 yr olds. I mean inarguably, system admin, network admin, and helpdesk support is more difficult than putting food in a bag and filling up glasses. Just the amount of prerequisite knowledge supports that.

And I'm hardly complaining, I was mentioning it for comparison's sake. What a terrible argument. It's not like I'm the one who will get pissed if someone just says thanks but doesn't tip me and !!%! up their computer on purpose next time or some dumb %%+#. When I travel,

I just put on the mean mug so nobody even attempts to help me and I don't have to be bothered with that as much. You walk in a hotel and kats damn near try to strong arm your bags out of your hand just so they can carry it to the desk and then have their hand out, or even after just opening the door. Nah thanx bruh, I'm a 26 y/o, able bodied man. I got it.

And those are the "service" jobs who make fair wage, in fact well more than minimum wage in most cases, but still get tips. So what's the justification there?

I'd give him to the count of 10 to get his ugly, yellow, no-good keister off my property

I'd give him to the count of 10 to get his ugly, yellow, no-good keister off my property

It's subjective whether or not you believe I am getting paid too much, but I certainly can't be replaced by 10 yr olds. I mean inarguably, system admin, network admin, and helpdesk support is more difficult than putting food in a bag and filling up glasses. Just the amount of prerequisite knowledge supports that.
You're not special and very replaceable as well.

And those are the "service" jobs who make fair wage, in fact well more than minimum wage in most cases, but still get tips. So what's the justification there?

You seem like the type of guy that would go to the bar and not tip. Oh, it's cause you're only paying for the drink right? You don't care about the ambiance, women, service, huh? Nope, you sure don't.

Point being it's not you're right to take advantage of "services". I mean you could, but IMO it makes you someone no one wants to help out or give good service too ever again. 

You're not special and very replaceable as well.

You seem like the type of guy that would go to the bar and not tip. Oh, it's cause you're only paying for the drink right? You don't care about the ambiance, women, service, huh? Nope, you sure don't.

Point being it's not you're right to take advantage of "services". I mean you could, but IMO it makes you someone no one wants to help out or give good service too ever again. 

Originally Posted by whiterails

Originally Posted by Kramer

I don't get tipped so I don't really believe in the whole system. No.

You must provide terrible service.
In answer to the question... of course.
Or maybe cuz I'm not allowed to be...
So because you're not allowed to receive tips, you don't ever tip yourself?
Cheeeaappppp
I just don't get why they get tips and other people don't. They get paid already so why the tip? That's just society I guess

I don't get tipped so I don't really believe in the whole system. No.

You must provide terrible service.
In answer to the question... of course.
Or maybe cuz I'm not allowed to be...
So because you're not allowed to receive tips, you don't ever tip yourself?
Cheeeaappppp
I just don't get why they get tips and other people don't. They get paid already so why the tip? That's just society I guess

Ha ya.. you actually have more company here than I'd thought lol.. at the end of the day it's your own money anyway.

Ha ya.. you actually have more company here than I'd thought lol.. at the end of the day it's your own money anyway.

Yes I am replaceable, damn near everybody is. I never said I wasn't. But less replaceable than someone who fills drinks and brings plates. I mean ANYONE can do that.

And I rarely drink and never go to bars, so no I don't tip at bars.

It's not "taking advantage" of anything. You're already paying for it. The price is there, I paid for it. The employee has a contract and a wage, he's getting paid. What the problem is?

And most places give +%!*$+ service whether you tip or not, and many people tip whether they get good service or not because they feel bad for the employees, so the system is screwed all around. Meanwhile the owners are grinning all the way to the bank because they have found a way to save like 75% of the wage they would normally have to pay employees by using a guilt trip based system to throw it onto the customers, who they're obviously already charging a premium for whatever it is they provide.

It's not like if I give you a big tip AFTER eating, that's going to allow you to go back in time and have given me my food faster. If you had that kind of ability, you wouldn't be working in a +%$@$*@ restaurant.

When I was in Europe, nobody ever tipped and they still had service 100x better than in the US, even with the language barrier.

When your job requires fill drinks, carry food point a to point then yes that's about 2 bucks an hour worth of brain power.

When you're a doctor and performing a life or death surgery, and there are a relatively limited number of you and it took you an extra 6-8yrs of college to develop such skill, then yes you deserve to be sonning everybody else in the salary department.

Yes I am replaceable, damn near everybody is. I never said I wasn't. But less replaceable than someone who fills drinks and brings plates. I mean ANYONE can do that.

It's not "taking advantage" of anything. You're already paying for it. The price is there, I paid for it. The employee has a contract and a wage, he's getting paid. What the problem is?

And most places give +%!*$+ service whether you tip or not, and many people tip whether they get good service or not because they feel bad for the employees, so the system is screwed all around. Meanwhile the owners are grinning all the way to the bank because they have found a way to save like 75% of the wage they would normally have to pay employees by using a guilt trip based system to throw it onto the customers, who they're obviously already charging a premium for whatever it is they provide.

It's not like if I give you a big tip AFTER eating, that's going to allow you to go back in time and have given me my food faster. If you had that kind of ability, you wouldn't be working in a +%$@$*@ restaurant.

When I was in Europe, nobody ever tipped and they still had service 100x better than in the US, even with the language barrier.

When your job requires fill drinks, carry food point a to point then yes that's about 2 bucks an hour worth of brain power.

When you're a doctor and performing a life or death surgery, and there are a relatively limited number of you and it took you an extra 6-8yrs of college to develop such skill, then yes you deserve to be sonning everybody else in the salary department.

You're a tool.

And this is coming from a college student whos planning on being a doctor.

I swear Ill never possess that !++@ attitude you have down so well though.

You're a tool.

Pretty sure that delivery charge helps the company pay for the gas that the drivers use.

Pretty sure that delivery charge helps the company pay for the gas that the drivers use.

I always tip not as much as before because of the delivery fee but I give up a dollar at least.

I always tip not as much as before because of the delivery fee but I give up a dollar at least.

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

You're a tool.

laugh.gif
Why don't you work for $2 then when you get out of school. Frankly, doctors I could live with tipping. Obviously anything I am at the doctor for is something I can't do myself and would really like to have done properly. Ditto that for law enforcement, Military, and pilots to name a few. But like dude, I called an order in for pickup and you put in a bag for me, should I really need to hand you 5$ for that? Little bellhops at the hotel wanna hold the door open then hold their hand out, like holding the door open isn't part of their job. That's fine then dude, just don't open the door next time. I don't give a !*#!, other than you're kind of ripping your boss off because that's in your job description but not my issue. I'll flag my own cab too, it's just raising your hand. I think I got that ability, except when I was in NY on a Sunday and they couldn't pick up 2 black dudes and take us to Brooklyn to go to the zoo.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

You're a tool.

laugh.gif
Why don't you work for $2 then when you get out of school. Frankly, doctors I could live with tipping. Obviously anything I am at the doctor for is something I can't do myself and would really like to have done properly. Ditto that for law enforcement, Military, and pilots to name a few. But like dude, I called an order in for pickup and you put in a bag for me, should I really need to hand you 5$ for that? Little bellhops at the hotel wanna hold the door open then hold their hand out, like holding the door open isn't part of their job. That's fine then dude, just don't open the door next time. I don't give a !*#!, other than you're kind of ripping your boss off because that's in your job description but not my issue. I'll flag my own cab too, it's just raising your hand. I think I got that ability, except when I was in NY on a Sunday and they couldn't pick up 2 black dudes and take us to Brooklyn to go to the zoo.
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
most of the time the driver only gets half the delivery charge, if any at all

and they usually don't get it for 2 weeks on their paycheck. they use like a half a tank per night. smh.

Back
Top Bottom