Wrestling Thread April 18-26/ RIP Chyna passed away at 45

Remember when WWE allowed Christian to appear at a TNA event while he was still working for WWE?

WWE never really cared for Christian.

I didn't even know he retired.
laugh.gif

WWE never really cared for Christian.

I didn't even know he retired. :lol:

True

One of the few dudes who was way better in TNA

Yep. 04-08 was his peak solo wise. When he came back to the WWE, there wasn't am ounce of any of his characters in TNA that came with him, and was just a little more highly thought of than Ziggler is now during that time, even while winning the Big Gold

Good read. Copy/pasted for easier viewing:
“When Chyna first came to the company in 1997, she poured on the charm — introduced herself, talked to everybody. I thought, “Wow, what a nice person.” She wanted the job really badly. She said she’d sweep floors, put up the ring, do whatever it took just to get a job with the WWF. She was an impressive specimen back then too, close to 200 pounds and absolutely no fat. Damn, why not hire her? What made her interesting was that you don’t usually see women who look like her. How many women do you see day to day who are almost 6 feet and 200 pounds of solid muscle?! Of course she was going to draw interest.
They brought her in as Hunter’s bodyguard and he got over so much more with her in his corner. Nobody really cared about him before Chyna showed up. With her there, he looked like a coward because he was letting a woman — no matter how big she was — stick up for him. It worked and the crowd hated them as a couple.

She was very nice for the longest time — until she started dating Hunter and the WWF started building her and building her. They created a monster.

By the end of ’98, the DX gimmick had taken off and you couldn’t get close to her. The only people she would bother to talk to were the top guys. Anybody from the mid-card down, she wouldn’t have a thing to do with. She would still talk with me a little now and then because I’d been there since she started, but she blew hot and cold. For example, she knew I liked Twix candy bars, so she’d always bring me a Twix and even nicknamed me “Twixy.” Then, other times, she would completely ignore me. She could be either the sweetest person on earth or the biggest ***** on the planet. I didn’t like the way she treated other people, even though she was still decent to me. You don’t mistreat the people who make you what you are, in my opinion. By the time our program rolled around, she wouldn’t even talk to me anymore because I was just a glorified jobber to her. I didn’t want anything to do with her at that point. I wouldn’t even attempt to say “hi” to her backstage because she’d be wearing the sunglasses all the time and acting like she didn’t even hear me.

At airports, when the cameras were on, Chyna was the first one to sign an autograph. As soon as the cameras disappeared, it was a different story. We’d have group flights and the fans would come over to us all, looking for autographs. She and Hunter would refuse to sign anything, while Steve Austin, the biggest wrestling star in the world, signed everything. That tells me that Steve’s grateful to have fans and is giving back. Hunter and Chyna would just sit there with their sunglasses on and ignore everybody. I saw a similar situation one time when we drove to Baltimore for a show. Hunter and Chyna pulled in right behind me when the valet was parking our cars. Some fans came running over for an autograph and the first words out of Chyna’s mouth were “Hey, you’re not supposed to be here, get out of here.” The two of them refused to sign anything. They were right that the kids weren’t meant to be there but even so . . . these people are the reason you have a salary! They came over to me and I signed and talked with them. This group of kids even said to me that Chyna and Hunter had a lot of fans and it was pretty sad that they would act like that. I had to agree. If the fans had been rude to them, I could have understood, but the kids just wanted a moment of their time and an autograph. But that’s just who Hunter and Chyna were then — whenever the cameras were on, they’d act like the big babyfaces they were on TV but as soon as the cameras stopped rolling, it was a different story. They were really the only two who were like that. All of the other boys were respectful and giving to their fans. We were told that we should always sign autographs because the fans are the ones who make it possible for us to get a check and pay our bills. I saw Chyna some years later when I was doing Tough Enough; she was doing something for MTV too, so we were both in the green room and she was very friendly to me. I always wondered if her behavior when she became a big star was because somebody had “brainwashed” her into thinking that she was superior to the other talent and didn’t need to talk to people “beneath her.” I knew that wasn’t her deep down. The Chyna I knew was and is a very good person.”

Who wrote that
Bob Holly

Apparently, his book is one of the better wrestling books, although opinion of him is mixed: he was an a-hole to the guys in the locker room, he has anger issues, etc.

Also that time Bork broke his neck because he tried to sandbag Bork:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom