Wrestling Thread Nov 22-28 | 11/26 Smackdown - King of the Ring Qualifying Continues

Last night was the 24th annual WWE Thanksgiving tradition, Survivor Series.  It wasn't a great show, it wasn't a terrible show.  It was a middle of the road show with a few decent matches and one big angle (that turned out to be not much of an angle ... on the PPV anyway).  I would think it will generate a lot of interest in tonight's Raw, and if TNA has taught us anything, it's that you use your PPVs to draw viewers to your free television shows.

~Daniel Bryan d Ted Dibiase to retain the United States Championship.  Good opener that showcased Bryan's skills.  They got 10 minutes.  Not as good as the Ziggler matches, but that's because Ziggler is better than Dibiase. ***1/2
~John Morrison d Sheamus.  This was the biggest surprise of the night to me.  Really not sure where they're going here with HHH's return pending, and I can't see them elevating Morrison to a main event spot. **1/2
~Dolph Ziggler d Kaval to retain the Intercontinental Championship.  Pretty good match that the crowd was unfortunately dead for.  Ziggler may have legitimately broke his nose after a stiff kick from Kaval.  Reports are we will see this match again on Smackdown.  Hopefully they get more time.  ***
~Team Mysterio d Team Del Rio in a Traditional 5 on 5 Survivor Series Elimination Match.  Mysterio and Show were the survivors.  Del Rio left after a Knockout Punch without actually being eliminated.  Match was fine and the crowd was into it, but nothing special.  MVP was the first to be eliminated... in his home town. **1/2
~Natalya d LayCool in a handicap match to win the Divas Championship.  Match ended in three minutes out of nowhere with a Sharpshooter.  LayCool attacked Natalya after the match with Beth Phoenix returning to make the save. *
~Kane and Edge wrestled to a TIE (yes, they called it a tie), so Kane retained the World Heavyweight Title.  Finish came when both men's shoulders were down for a dual pin.  Not a good match.  Neither man has had a good match in a long time.  And for a program built around Paul Bearer, Bearer was nowhere to be found on the entire show. *1/2
~Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel d Santino and Kozlov to retain the Tag Team Titles.  Another nothing match that was put in the dead spot on the show.  *
~Randy Orton d Wade Barrett to retain the WWE Championship.  Almost a repeat of last month's match at Bragging Rights, and that's not a good thing.  Slow, plodding, boring.  The finish had Cena shove Barrett right into an RKO.  Cena debated counting the fall, but since he is such a man of honor and high moral standing, he counted the 3 giving Orton the victory and firing himself from WWE.  They did an long, drawn out, overly dramatic segment to end the show where Cena saluted the fans and ran through the crowd giving them high fives.  The problem was, no one was in shock over Cena being "fired".  Rather, all the Cena fans were still cheering for him. **

The show started with promise, but really fizzled out with both main events severely failing to deliver.

Many were also expecting something major to happen during the show.  HHH's return.  Miz cashing in Money in the Bank.  Cena turning heel.  Nothing happened.  Instead it felt much more like a three hour Raw as compared to one of the supposed Big Four shows of the year.

The TLC PPV is still four weeks away, so knowing WWE, they have three weeks to screw around before actually putting a card together.  Nothing has been announced, but I'm expecting tonight's show to be largely based around a Cena firing ceremony.  My guess is he's on the show for his "final goodbye" speech.  Maybe an angle comes out of it tonight where Cena ends up not missing any time at all.  I really find it hard to believe they would put Cena on the shelf during the biggest shopping period of the year.  Plus, I can't see them not having a healthy Cena involved in the TLC show.

We'll also see what happens with Wade Barrett.  This is the second straight PPV he was arguably screwed out of winning the WWE Title.  So logic says he will get another shot in a stipulation match at TLC.  However, I really don't think I can sit through another Barrett/Orton match, and I can't see fans getting very excited for it if Cena's not involved this time.

So if they don't do Orton vs Barrett, what does that leave for Orton?  Perhaps that's why Morrison got the clean win last night.  You would assume they need someone athletic to face Orton at TLC, so Morrison would fit that mold.  I just don't see anyone buying Morrison as a legitimate threat to the title.

The last thing about TLC.  There is only one TLC match.  Then there is one tables match, one ladder match, and one chair match.  Yes, the always highly anticipated chair match.

News and Notes.... post'em if you got'em.

Last night was the 24th annual WWE Thanksgiving tradition, Survivor Series.  It wasn't a great show, it wasn't a terrible show.  It was a middle of the road show with a few decent matches and one big angle (that turned out to be not much of an angle ... on the PPV anyway).  I would think it will generate a lot of interest in tonight's Raw, and if TNA has taught us anything, it's that you use your PPVs to draw viewers to your free television shows.

~Daniel Bryan d Ted Dibiase to retain the United States Championship.  Good opener that showcased Bryan's skills.  They got 10 minutes.  Not as good as the Ziggler matches, but that's because Ziggler is better than Dibiase. ***1/2
~John Morrison d Sheamus.  This was the biggest surprise of the night to me.  Really not sure where they're going here with HHH's return pending, and I can't see them elevating Morrison to a main event spot. **1/2
~Dolph Ziggler d Kaval to retain the Intercontinental Championship.  Pretty good match that the crowd was unfortunately dead for.  Ziggler may have legitimately broke his nose after a stiff kick from Kaval.  Reports are we will see this match again on Smackdown.  Hopefully they get more time.  ***
~Team Mysterio d Team Del Rio in a Traditional 5 on 5 Survivor Series Elimination Match.  Mysterio and Show were the survivors.  Del Rio left after a Knockout Punch without actually being eliminated.  Match was fine and the crowd was into it, but nothing special.  MVP was the first to be eliminated... in his home town. **1/2
~Natalya d LayCool in a handicap match to win the Divas Championship.  Match ended in three minutes out of nowhere with a Sharpshooter.  LayCool attacked Natalya after the match with Beth Phoenix returning to make the save. *
~Kane and Edge wrestled to a TIE (yes, they called it a tie), so Kane retained the World Heavyweight Title.  Finish came when both men's shoulders were down for a dual pin.  Not a good match.  Neither man has had a good match in a long time.  And for a program built around Paul Bearer, Bearer was nowhere to be found on the entire show. *1/2
~Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel d Santino and Kozlov to retain the Tag Team Titles.  Another nothing match that was put in the dead spot on the show.  *
~Randy Orton d Wade Barrett to retain the WWE Championship.  Almost a repeat of last month's match at Bragging Rights, and that's not a good thing.  Slow, plodding, boring.  The finish had Cena shove Barrett right into an RKO.  Cena debated counting the fall, but since he is such a man of honor and high moral standing, he counted the 3 giving Orton the victory and firing himself from WWE.  They did an long, drawn out, overly dramatic segment to end the show where Cena saluted the fans and ran through the crowd giving them high fives.  The problem was, no one was in shock over Cena being "fired".  Rather, all the Cena fans were still cheering for him. **

The show started with promise, but really fizzled out with both main events severely failing to deliver.

Many were also expecting something major to happen during the show.  HHH's return.  Miz cashing in Money in the Bank.  Cena turning heel.  Nothing happened.  Instead it felt much more like a three hour Raw as compared to one of the supposed Big Four shows of the year.

The TLC PPV is still four weeks away, so knowing WWE, they have three weeks to screw around before actually putting a card together.  Nothing has been announced, but I'm expecting tonight's show to be largely based around a Cena firing ceremony.  My guess is he's on the show for his "final goodbye" speech.  Maybe an angle comes out of it tonight where Cena ends up not missing any time at all.  I really find it hard to believe they would put Cena on the shelf during the biggest shopping period of the year.  Plus, I can't see them not having a healthy Cena involved in the TLC show.

We'll also see what happens with Wade Barrett.  This is the second straight PPV he was arguably screwed out of winning the WWE Title.  So logic says he will get another shot in a stipulation match at TLC.  However, I really don't think I can sit through another Barrett/Orton match, and I can't see fans getting very excited for it if Cena's not involved this time.

So if they don't do Orton vs Barrett, what does that leave for Orton?  Perhaps that's why Morrison got the clean win last night.  You would assume they need someone athletic to face Orton at TLC, so Morrison would fit that mold.  I just don't see anyone buying Morrison as a legitimate threat to the title.

The last thing about TLC.  There is only one TLC match.  Then there is one tables match, one ladder match, and one chair match.  Yes, the always highly anticipated chair match.

News and Notes.... post'em if you got'em.

I, like everybody else was expecting something, anything, to happen, instead Orton pretty much got a "fairly clean" win. As far as future guidelines are concerned, ANY momentum Nexus has or had is DEAD. 4w I know you said that they were dead at SummerSlam and I agree to a point, but with the Cena thing going on and Wade Barrett's phenomenal mic work, I felt that they regained some legitimacy, but now, where do they go from here? Barrett is technically 1-1 vs. Orton (he won via DQ at Bragging Rights), so he could claim that as a factor for one more match, but like you said, I feel these two do not put on a main event type of match.
Personally, I feel they should do a final stipulation match at TLC in which Nexus actually interferes and helps Wade win, then he continues to hold the title until Cena returns and wins it from him at Wrestlemania. In today's WWE that is a bit long for a title run, but it would reestablish Nexus as a "force" and with a clean Cena win it would be a perfect timing to disband the group with the draft that'd be sure to follow. In any event I am extremely interested to see where Barrett goes from here and how long Cena stays off camera.   

I, like everybody else was expecting something, anything, to happen, instead Orton pretty much got a "fairly clean" win. As far as future guidelines are concerned, ANY momentum Nexus has or had is DEAD. 4w I know you said that they were dead at SummerSlam and I agree to a point, but with the Cena thing going on and Wade Barrett's phenomenal mic work, I felt that they regained some legitimacy, but now, where do they go from here? Barrett is technically 1-1 vs. Orton (he won via DQ at Bragging Rights), so he could claim that as a factor for one more match, but like you said, I feel these two do not put on a main event type of match.
Personally, I feel they should do a final stipulation match at TLC in which Nexus actually interferes and helps Wade win, then he continues to hold the title until Cena returns and wins it from him at Wrestlemania. In today's WWE that is a bit long for a title run, but it would reestablish Nexus as a "force" and with a clean Cena win it would be a perfect timing to disband the group with the draft that'd be sure to follow. In any event I am extremely interested to see where Barrett goes from here and how long Cena stays off camera.   

Honestly Cena is not going anywhere, he is their money maker because of the kids.. He will be back tonight, only thing is i can see him go for a break and the movie he is shooting.

Honestly Cena is not going anywhere, he is their money maker because of the kids.. He will be back tonight, only thing is i can see him go for a break and the movie he is shooting.

- It is expected that the return of WWE's King of the Ring will officially be announced for next week's three-hour RAW from Philadelphia.

plans for the TLC ppv are currently Edge VS. Kane for thw WHC in a TLC match

Orton VS. Barrett for the WWE title in a Tables match

- It is expected that the return of WWE's King of the Ring will officially be announced for next week's three-hour RAW from Philadelphia.

plans for the TLC ppv are currently Edge VS. Kane for thw WHC in a TLC match

Orton VS. Barrett for the WWE title in a Tables match

^
laugh.gif
the rock needs to come back for one night

imagine a promo between him and miz and one with cm punk
pimp.gif

^
laugh.gif
the rock needs to come back for one night

imagine a promo between him and miz and one with cm punk
pimp.gif

- To update on Dolph Ziggler's condition, he was getting checked for a concussion after last night's PPV match, but he seemed fine.

- There were no plans for Miz to "cash in" last night and his segment was simply to get him further over as one of the company's top heels. Miz also poked fun at LeBron James, which may be planting seeds for the future as there has been internal discussion about having him as a celebrity at WrestleMania or as a RAW guest host in the future. They haven't reached out to James yet however.

- To update on my previous post, one of the main reasons Matt Striker below the call during commentary for the Barrett/Orton match was because the announcers and the majority of others were in the dark about how the match would end, as a means of protecting the result from leaking.

- Former WCW Champion David Arquette was said to have come across well backstage last night and was extremely friendly to all the talent. Some celebrities are known for paying attention to only the top talent, but Arquette mixed with everyone on the roster and was well informed about the storylines.

- CM Punk was backstage at the PPV last night and is expected to do more announcing work this week. He was described by one person as the guy "on the team dying to get back in the game and do something."

- FCW talent were also backstage last night and will be on RAW tonight also.

- Take it for what it's worth but Triple H's music was used in the arena this afternoon in Orlando at the Amway Center to test the audio during a soundcheck. No word yet if he is returning tonight on RAW but he is scheduled to return soon.

- To update on Dolph Ziggler's condition, he was getting checked for a concussion after last night's PPV match, but he seemed fine.

- There were no plans for Miz to "cash in" last night and his segment was simply to get him further over as one of the company's top heels. Miz also poked fun at LeBron James, which may be planting seeds for the future as there has been internal discussion about having him as a celebrity at WrestleMania or as a RAW guest host in the future. They haven't reached out to James yet however.

- To update on my previous post, one of the main reasons Matt Striker below the call during commentary for the Barrett/Orton match was because the announcers and the majority of others were in the dark about how the match would end, as a means of protecting the result from leaking.

- Former WCW Champion David Arquette was said to have come across well backstage last night and was extremely friendly to all the talent. Some celebrities are known for paying attention to only the top talent, but Arquette mixed with everyone on the roster and was well informed about the storylines.

- CM Punk was backstage at the PPV last night and is expected to do more announcing work this week. He was described by one person as the guy "on the team dying to get back in the game and do something."

- FCW talent were also backstage last night and will be on RAW tonight also.

- Take it for what it's worth but Triple H's music was used in the arena this afternoon in Orlando at the Amway Center to test the audio during a soundcheck. No word yet if he is returning tonight on RAW but he is scheduled to return soon.

Could not believe the ending to Survivor Series last night...

No Cena heel turn... no major title changes... another year, another nonsensical Survivor Series match with makeshift teams... how do you, after so many years, have a faction who's a major part of your show NOT be in the traditional SS match? It just makes no sense...

TLC will be another cluster $*%+ of a PPV I'm sure... I hate to say it but I'll be happy when HHH comes back... everything that had potential (Cena joining Nexus, CM Punk coming to Raw, Santino/Kozlov teaming up, Kane as WHC, Nexus having the tag titles) are just turning into boring nothingness... NONE (yes, NONE) of the titles mean anything anymore... not one of them is substantial...

THe only thing holding me in suspense at this point is Miz and when he's going to cash the MITB...

Could not believe the ending to Survivor Series last night...

No Cena heel turn... no major title changes... another year, another nonsensical Survivor Series match with makeshift teams... how do you, after so many years, have a faction who's a major part of your show NOT be in the traditional SS match? It just makes no sense...

TLC will be another cluster $*%+ of a PPV I'm sure... I hate to say it but I'll be happy when HHH comes back... everything that had potential (Cena joining Nexus, CM Punk coming to Raw, Santino/Kozlov teaming up, Kane as WHC, Nexus having the tag titles) are just turning into boring nothingness... NONE (yes, NONE) of the titles mean anything anymore... not one of them is substantial...

THe only thing holding me in suspense at this point is Miz and when he's going to cash the MITB...

Back
Top Bottom