Wrestling Thread Nov 3-23 | 11/23 Survivor Series - MAJOR Surprises Planned | Team Cena v Team Autho

@DCAllAmerican

You wanted some gameplay impression about 2k15.
[h2]WWE 2K15's Gameplay is an Evolution, Not a Revolution[/h2]
bullet.gif
  Submitted on: 11/19/2014 by Chris Sanner

31390.jpg

In the ring, WWE 2K15 is a lot like it has always been after you get past the new gimmicks put into the game. That is not to say the new gimmicks are necessarily bad — its just that WWE 2K15 largely feels like every other THQ/Yukes now 2K wrestling game before it.

The steady evolution continues, and with it there are pieces of the gameplay which have improved and pieces which have not. Here is my breakdown after a day and a half of playtime:

Pros
  • Chain Wrestling is fun. I like the mechanics present, and once you get a feel for it, you can really do some cool, technical chain wrestling. I also like the fact that sometimes you just come up against a guy who would rather beat your brains in than lock horns. 
  • Stamina is definitely a great addition, as you do have to be mindful of what you are doing in the ring. It also gives different wrestlers a different feel. You can’t go move crazy with a big man, as you have to be more slow and deliberate with your punishment.
  • Reversals are hit or miss and based on your ratings — I think. I’m still getting the hang of this, and thus far I think the system works as its intended to in that its not always a success to reverse moves.
  • The game looks pretty, the entrances are really well done, and most characters look ok. A few are not great (Shawn Michaels is one that comes to mind), but I think that might have to do with the overall capture process. 
  • Controlling your wrestler is actually pretty easy. 2K and Yukes should get a lot of credit for continuing to refine the controls and offering plenty of depth with initial simplicity. I could easily teach someone how to play the game in five minutes and have them be reasonably good at playing the game. This aspect of the game deserves a major kudos.
  • When you get the feel of the game, you can really make a match flow pretty well. I even found myself in MyCareer letting myself get beat up a bit to make for better matches, only because I knew that if I did it right I could totally still win, but I had to be a bit more strategic. I am not sure I can employ that same strategy against much better wrestlers, but I definitely have had success with it otherwise.
  • I like the approach the game takes, emphasizing that wrestling is about showmanship but also keeping it kayfabe with emphasizing you are wanting to wrestle to win. For some reason, I feel that is a direction the WWE in general should take in the future.
31391.jpg

Cons
  • The animations, while improved, still have a long way to go. In a dynamic game with so much physical contact, you would expect some weird physics glitches. But in a dynamic game which is being programmed as an actual legit sport, but its actually trying to simulate what is scripted and staged fighting — you get a lot of things that you just will not see in real life. Suplexing a guy into the ropes is always wonky, and obviously would not happen in a real ring. 
  • The commentary, oh my goodness the commentary. I am not saying its definitely worse off than its ever been, but it may be some of the worst commentary on a major AAA ‘sports’ game I have ever heard. Not only are lines repetitive, but they are also just downright wrong sometimes.
  • The targeting is sometimes jacked up. I will be next to my opponent in a 1 on 1 match and sometimes my wrestler will punch in the complete opposite direction with no rhyme or reason behind it. This usually results in me then being slammed to the mat, left to try to reverse my way out of an onslaught. Kind of frustrating.
  • The cameras are sometimes wonky, and the overall feel of the game definitely doesn’t accomplish the WWE broadcast feel 2K says they were going for. In my opinion, it feels like every other wrestling game to date, which is not a huge compliment to the quality of the presentation.
  • Last but not least, the crowds are also pretty bland. The cheers never have any variation, and sometimes they just do not make any sense. The crowd, much like the commentary, needs a complete rethinking at this point.
31401.jpeg

Initial Thoughts

We are not breaking any new ground with WWE 2K15 this year. There is no leap forward in quality, and definitely no groundbreaking feature that makes the case for an upgrade apparent when wrestling in the ring. What you get instead is a refined and better version of the same wrestling game THQ/Yukes/2K have been working on for the past decade. This is not a bad thing, and the game certainly looks pretty, but if you were looking for a giant leap forward for the franchise you may have to wait one more year.

After playing 2k15 last night I have to say its great in ring. The stamina meter is the best thing. It feels like a real wrestling match with the way your fighter gets tired. Also I liked how that use the ropes to get back to their feet. I liked how I did a superplex from the top rope it hurt me the same as my opponent.

Last edited:
I have to figure out my nxt roster I got Fin and Hideo. I also gave Hideo the GTS as his finisher since Punk is gone.

TNA tryna pull that 50-99yr audience. The ones that'll watch TNA by accidentally leaving the TV on after the fall asleep.

It's not even Discovery... It's Destination American... It's a sub channel owned by Discovery...

Man I love the Destination America channel..They always have shows about BBQ on there..

Back
Top Bottom