Yooo, Kanye on Sway in the Morning. (updated)

But honestly in this day and age....who is a fashion icon if Kanye isn't?
Like i guess the artsy types will say Lady Gaga...but she doesn't start fashion trends like ye does....unless i missed the meat dress movement

But who else is there? Big desingers? They aren't really on tv often to be idolized like celebrities are.

Yo I get out a good amount and rarely see anyone copying these supposed trends Ye has started. I live in the DMV and I just don't see it. Maybe I need to be in NYC or Chi or something?

You guys been looking at the celebrities wearing heat and hypebeast thread too much.

I don't see Ye's fashion as a influence in the real world.

On Niketalk, on KTT, on the internet blogs, hip hop industry. Yeah he clearly has some influence.

Mass appeal? Hell no.

will rep later i hear you. I agree too....but without getting too far down the rabbit hole....i think kanye has had some influence as far as main stream acceptance of certain trends..."pink polo and a back pack" the tighter jeans in general, leather, joggers. And i think that counts for something. He had influence on brands like american eagle making fitted jeans....they didn't have anything skinny cut when i was in middle school. He makes the yeezy and then later nike puts out a lot of shoes with similar cuts....see nike sky stepper

Oh yeah forgot about Pyrex....he got a lot of celebs rocking Pyrex and a lot of idiots blowing way over retail on a simple champion hoody simply because it says PYREX on it....btw I've seen the yeezys worn on a lot of celebs outside of the hiphop industry.

But honestly in this day and age....who is a fashion icon if Kanye isn't?
Like i guess the artsy types will say Lady Gaga...but she doesn't start fashion trends like ye does....unless i missed the meat dress movement

But who else is there? Big desingers? They aren't really on tv often to be idolized like celebrities are.

Yo I get out a good amount and rarely see anyone copying these supposed trends Ye has started. I live in the DMV and I just don't see it. Maybe I need to be in NYC or Chi or something?

You guys been looking at the celebrities wearing heat and hypebeast thread too much.

On Niketalk, on KTT, on the internet blogs, hip hop industry. Yeah he clearly has some influence.

Mass appeal? Hell no.

will rep later i hear you. I agree too....but without getting too far down the rabbit hole....i think kanye has had some influence as far as main stream acceptance of certain trends..."pink polo and a back pack" the tighter jeans in general, leather, joggers. And i think that counts for something. He had influence on brands like american eagle making fitted jeans....they didn't have anything skinny cut when i was in middle school. He makes the yeezy and then later nike puts out a lot of shoes with similar cuts....see nike sky stepper
if thats the case u may as well say it was camron who influenced the masses cause he was doing pink first in hiphop

I think this Adidas move can be a real test in Kanye's strength in the fashion world. Adidas is no Nike by any means but they are also no Reebok either. I have no doubt that Kanye will sell shoes for the 3 stripe but I wonder if his shoe will go down as a classic like his Nike shoe did. Let's just hope he doesn't be come the G-Unit of Adidas.

And no way Kanye gets the nod for making pink polo's famous. Most of the people that I saw that did it were white and I know they weren't wearing it like Kanye. Even the skinny pants thing. Kanye didn't make that popular. There is no way.....unless you are pigeon holing only the hip-hop generation.

Last edited:

Is simple, anyone who denies the mans influence on trends is just letting their dislike for the man cloud their opinion.

I don't understand why people call this guy a "fashion icon" besides the yeezys and a hand full of people rocking t-skirts with man purses I just don't see it. It wasn't too long ago dude was rocking baggy jeans and white tees.

Oh yeah forgot about Pyrex....he got a lot of celebs rocking Pyrex and a lot of idiots blowing way over retail on a simple champion hoody simply because it says PYREX on it....btw I've seen the yeezys worn on a lot of celebs outside of the hiphop industry.
most celebs are insecure and just buy things to fit in and seem accepted
and i bet u they bought em cause of hype

PHARRELL HAS DONE MORE IN THE FASHION INDUSTRY AND IS A BIGGER FASHION ICON THEN KANYE WEST IS... AND HE DOES IT ON THE LOW

Kanye doesn't influence anyone fashion wise besides a few teenagers who need the hottest late hype item and maybe the hip hop industry. He's going to boycott LV? Do you ever shop at LV? The people who spend majority of their money there are DEFINITELY NOT influenced by Kanye in any way. LV has been around for years and isn't going anywhere because the mighty Kanye said no to them. Neither is Nike.

BIG DEAL he sold out a few items. Keep in mind they are also made in very limited quantities. They don't supply every store with yeezys. There are people who don't even know what a Yeezy is. 

So is 40oz a fashion icon too? He's selling out some hats?

Last edited:
if thats the case u may as well say it was camron who influenced the masses cause he was doing pink first in hiphop

Can and dipset influenced the hood, no doubt about that...just like fab did some years back with throwbacks, a handful of hiphop artists have had their time of influence....look at fab now tho.....dude lost his personal style.

Will def check later. Emotional Kanye is the best 
laugh.gif

PHARRELL HAS DONE MORE IN THE FASHION INDUSTRY AND IS A BIGGER FASHION ICON THEN KANYE WEST IS... AND HE DOES IT ON THE LOW

Kanye doesn't influence anyone fashion wise besides a few teenagers who need the hottest late hype item and maybe the hip hop industry. He's going to boycott LV? Do you ever shop at LV? The people who spend majority of their money there are DEFINITELY NOT influenced by Kanye in any way. LV has been around for years and isn't going anywhere because the mighty Kanye said no to them. Neither is Nike.

Pretty much

Pharrell is a true icon, Kanye uses his status to brainwash his little cult into copying his every move

Can and dipset influenced the hood, no doubt about that...just like fab did some years back with throwbacks, a handful of hiphop artists have had their time of influence....look at fab now tho.....dude lost his personal style.
probably cause he has a stylist now

I agree i don't think these companies are sweating him at all....but that doesn't take away from that he does kind of deserve a shot at something given his track record right?

And we aren't saying he is the only person to have done this....rappers have a big influence on urban fashion. Kanye is now....just like Cam'ron was...just like Biggie was...we just have to wait and see if he can keep it up thats all.

Mass appeal? Hell no.
thats what he's argueing...he has a following and can easily slap a logo on a tee and sell in the urban communities....no doubt. if it was about money, he'd do this in a hot second.

he was right when he said he is the modern day rockstar. how many athletes, actors and other famous ppl are wearing yeezys, wearing leather pants, wearing givnchy now.

entertainers in general influence the masses, and you cant say kanye isnt one of the biggest entertainers in the world. 

I'm not saying LV or nike will crumble without Kanye :rofl:

I'm just saying his name = $$$

Why is it so hard for some of you to admit to that....geez...it is not rocket science, it's not about comparing him to Cam or Pharrel.

this dude has lost it :lol:

what exactly makes him a genius in his eyes?

his relevancy? the fact that he makes shh hot? :lol:
hes doing noting but putting people on to shh
a regurgitater not creator

as a "genius artist" why would you waste your time comparing yourself to others?

saying he is "______"

make your own lane like they "__________" did

Back
Top Bottom