You Don't Know What A Lyric Means??? POST IT HERE!

Originally Posted by cartune

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

Originally Posted by Jaye05

I hate to see y'all frown but I'd rather see her smiling
Wetness all around me, true, but I'm no island
Peninsula maybe

Spaceships dont come equipped with rearview mirrors
They dip as quick as they can
The atmosphere is now ripped

International Player's Anthem, andre 3ks verse
ohwell.gif
hes no island meaning he isnt alone but he has loner tendencies because like a penisuala is similiar to an island but surrounded by land on 3 sides

The spaceship line is about dont look back just stay on your path
Yup. Also, a peninsula is surrounded on all sides except one by "wetness". Now which part of your body looks JUST like florida? Brilliant play/plays on words...
pimp.gif

Boy Dre a foo
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
respect
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by man listen

Now look at me, all star studded
??? above par, like I putted

Above par = above average.

Par is also a golf score. When you putt in golf, your score can go over par.
A golfer's score is determined by how many shots have been taken by the golfer relative to par. If a course has a par of 72 and a golfer takes 75 strokes to complete the course, the golfer's reported score is +3, or "three-over-par". This means that the golfer has taken three shots more than par to complete the course. If a golfer takes 70 strokes, their reported score is -2, or "two-under-par".
Nas just saying that he is above average.

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

A golfer's score is determined by how many shots have been taken by the golfer relative to par. If a course has a par of 72 and a golfer takes 75 strokes to complete the course, the golfer's reported score is +3, or "three-over-par". This means that the golfer has taken three shots more than par to complete the course. If a golfer takes 70 strokes, their reported score is -2, or "two-under-par".

eek.gif
RUN!!!!!!!!!

fire.jpg

BLASPHEMY
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif

This thread reminds me how hard it is to be a "respected" Hip-Hop artist.

A lot of other genre's see it as a relatively easy form of music but that def. isn't the case...ALL THE TIME.

Originally Posted by CB94

eek.gif
RUN!!!!!!!!!

fire.jpg

laugh.gif

No I understand the golf part. Nas
wink.gif
says something before he says "above par"but I can't tell what it is.

I hate to see y'all frown but I'd rather see her smiling
Wetness all around me, true, but I'm no island
Peninsula maybe

Spaceships dont come equipped with rearview mirrors
They dip as quick as they can
The atmosphere is now ripped

International Player's Anthem, andre 3ks verse
ohwell.gif
hes no island meaning he isnt alone but he has loner tendencies because like a penisuala is similiar to an island but surrounded by land on 3 sides

The spaceship line is about dont look back just stay on your path
Yup. Also, a peninsula is surrounded on all sides except one by "wetness". Now which part of your body looks JUST like florida? Brilliant play/plays on words...
pimp.gif

Boy Dre a foo
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
respect
pimp.gif

but that's easy though
i put that together on first listen
especially after the cat in my lap line

Dre nasty 4real though

Man I really didn't think rap was that hard. Outside of some of the things Lupe says I pretty much get everything going on, and really didn't see howpeople didn't get most of this. I think you guys are looking to much into it. The only line in my life that I really had that much trouble with was"Cops come and complain front row watch game" I get it now, but man when I heard this I couldn't get it for the life of me.

Originally Posted by bboy1827

Man I really didn't think rap was that hard. Outside of some of the things Lupe says I pretty much get everything going on, and really didn't see how people didn't get most of this. I think you guys are looking to much into it. The only line in my life that I really had that much trouble with was "Cops come and complain front row watch game" I get it now, but man when I heard this I couldn't get it for the life of me.

Nah there are a lot of complex lines in Hip-Hop fam. If you struggled getting that line...i'm sure there is plenty of other stuff that goes over your head.

Originally Posted by bboy1827

Man I really didn't think rap was that hard. Outside of some of the things Lupe says I pretty much get everything going on, and really didn't see how people didn't get most of this. I think you guys are looking to much into it. The only line in my life that I really had that much trouble with was "Cops come and complain front row watch game" I get it now, but man when I heard this I couldn't get it for the life of me.

Nah there are a lot of complex lines in Hip-Hop fam. If you struggled getting that line...i'm sure there is plenty of other stuff that goes over your head.

I struggled with that line at like 15 my brother explained it to me and I was good. Like I said Lupe is the only difficult rapper that I will actually listento.This line means a lot to me "Just because you don't understand him don't mean that he's nice/ you just don't understand half thebullspit that he writes" I think alot of people need to think about that alot.
eyes.gif
Eastcoast heads that grew up on Jay-z def should be the teachers in this thread.

People need to recognize that alot of artists are just messed up when they write some stuff, or that they write it because it sounds cool and meets the rhymescheme. I think anyone can write something only they understand, and when someone gets it, the person that gets it is all
grin.gif
, in reality it's not that dope, thats not what music/hip hop is about.It's a balance between clever word play and wordsmithing and making stuff people understand. I'm pretty sure Ernest Hemingway wrote some stuff downthat only makes sense to him, doesn't mean it's good.

Originally Posted by Princetonchaney

Im so hood remix Waynes like
"After I heard Plies I dun went and bought a Phantom"
he is referring to when plies said "Ill never ride a phantom 24s wont fit" and wayne said He took the phantom back

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

What body part looks like Florida ?

%%% ? I'm slippin .
laugh.gif
You get a pass cause u dont have one
happy.gif
laugh.gif
That was slick tune
pimp.gif

smh.gif
at you Kneesh... silly little girl
grin.gif
I thought he was talking about on a female .

I'm like ... "huh?"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

but lupe and jay actually incorporate hidden meanings and double entendres into their rhymes so its not the same. wayne doesnt even try to do that.

He thought jay was talking about "air" on mr. carter
laugh.gif

how do you know? im going to repost something from another thread i posted a whiiiiiiiiiiile back that i found ...

"im stuck in a maze, therefore i am amazing" ... aside from the obvious wordplay, lets look a little deeper ... hes stuck in a maze ... dude just cant find his way, he doesnt know where hes goin (ie rock/rap/hip hop/pop), or what the purpose is of what hes doing (ie sales/fame/fortune/respect) ... hes caged in a seemingly pointless struggle with finding who he is as an artist/person ... but then he follows it up with "therefore i am amazing" ... see he reconizes that what is making him sell right now is that hes so versatile and has no purpose or identity ... not knowing what his puprose is has caused him to blow up on so many levels ... if he was still rappin like he was back in cash money days he wouldnt be selling this much ... at the same time, if he didnt have features where he spit that hot old cash money !%@! (ie death wish, forgot about me etc...) he wouldnt have his old fan base ...

my picture, should be in the dictionary next to the definition, of definition, because repitition is the father of learning and son i know your barrel burnin but please dont shoot me down ... ... ...

inherent in the line is the literal repitition of the word definition ... to say his picture should be in the dictionary next to the definition of definition is to say he is defines what defines ... carry it from hip hop, to the world, to his personal self and you cant get more real than being an example of definition ... a definition of something is what it is, there is no disputing and no denying ... not saying i agree with how he feels about himself but he is essentially suggesting he is what is or in other words, to quote someone somewhat famous, "i am who am" ...

"because repitition is the father of learning" ... he just made you listen to him repeat definition in a literal sense, now he explains why you should have done it ... the line is not intended for you to just take for face value and repeat a word, but to learn from what is repeated ... he is explaining exactly what we are doing on NT right now ... suggesting that you may think that he is just rambling !#$%#%*% but take a second and repeat what he just said, and see if you really understand it ...

take it a step further to "i know youre barrel burnin but please dont shoot me down" ... sometimes we hate the truth or teh definition of something, but when it comes down to it, we cant deny it ... in essence many hate the fact that wayne is what he is, youre barrels burnin cuz you cant believe wayne is on top right now ... he know that ... but please dont shoot him down ... overall, maybe you should repeat what you hear from him, cuz whether you like it or not he is what he is and defines what the game is right now ...

i didnt even get into the whole play on words of father and son ... father of learning ... ... get it ... ... he defines what defines and since repitition is the "father" of learning and a son learns from his father, "son" i know your barrels burning ... as in young boy that thinks im just some drugged out dude with no purpose sloooooow down and let me teach you something ... repeat that %!%+ one time, and dont shoot me down cuz i know what best for you ...

laugh.gif
@ people who choose to look beyond lil wayne lines because they go over their head and just dismiss them for drugged out rants ... just because jay-z reads a newspaper and makes up a line about it doesnt make him any better ... just because you can OBVIOUSLY understand what jay was saying doesnt mean what hes saying is so "groundbreaking" ... i could make a hot verse looking at my dvd collection tonight and if it was jay z yall would explode all over it like "did you hear what my man just said" ahhhhhhhhhhhh

so you have concrete proof that this line doesnt mean what i suggested it means? as i said before, artistic expression is nothing without interpretation ... you interpret it as some !!%%***@ and i dont ... i just choose to not go ga ga over someone who watches a movie and then spits a line about it ... id much rather interpret something for my own use, but no one really knows what it means except said artist ...

and last but not least, to add another perspective on this issue ...

"I give sight to the blind, my insight through the mind
I exercise my right to express when I feel it's time
It's just all in your mind, what you interpret it as
I say to fight, you take it as I'mma whip someone's @$#
If you don't understand, don't even bother to ask
"

Just reposting this because it seems appropriate for most of your posts right now

"Just because you don't understand him don't mean that he's nice, you just don't understand half the bullspit that hewrites"-Jay-z
wink.gif

not taking shots at Wayne because he is very talented, but OMG! really. Artistic expression yada yada, it's hip hop, it's dope lines that fit in rhymeschemes. One of the dopest lines little Wayne said was
"tuck away your chain because your not iced out" there isn't some grand meaning to this. It isn't a socially commentary on what it means tobe a universal being ahead of his generations. it's just a dope line that really shouldn't need explaination.

Back
Top Bottom