Young boy wishes to join Girl Scouts

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Reminds me of last week's Parks and Recreation episode...
laugh.gif
Came in here to say this. 
He shouldn't be let in period, its called "GIRLS SCOUTS" for a reason. Next, grown %%$ dudes going to be at WNBA tryouts trying to get that 60k a year. 

laugh.gif
at some of y'all ( Big J) making this bigger than it should be. He's a boy...girl scouts are for girls. Point blank. I don't see the argument

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

I'm all for letting little homie be a girl but I kinda think his mom needs to tell him to chill on the GS dreams. Put him in 4-H or something unisex cuz at the end of the day he is still not a girl.

why?

no you're not.

why  not?

i dont think sexuality and gender identity is black and white

Maybe he's one of those boys who wants to be a girl.
I recall there being a heated thread about that sort of thing a ways back.

I think he probably wants to be a girl and no amount of religion or parenting can fix that internal conflict. Nothing can except him.
But I do think to a certain degree a parent no matter the sex can expose the child to certain ideas and experiences which will shape what he knows and what he likes.
More likely than not, his mother or someones else exposed him to the girl scouts and he took that idea better than the boys scouts.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

i dont think sexuality and gender identity is black and white

/thread
grin.gif

This is what it boils down to in the end.
Some people can't accept the fact that some people aren't wired the way society says you should be wired.

Originally Posted by th0ugh

laugh.gif
at some of y'all ( Big J) making this bigger than it should be. He's a boy...girl scouts are for girls. Point blank. I don't see the argument
I don't think I'm making it bigger than it should be, but instead addressing issues people have mentioned. The issues themselves are bigger than this one instance, and that's what I'm talking about. I'm not arguing that he should be in the Girl Scouts, I actually haven't mentioned it, but I'm replying to greater problems.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Originally Posted by jimmybeanz

you asked a gang of questions.  what are the answers?  
My questions are meant to be answers by others. Judging by my comments my answers should be clear, I think people have ignorant and out-dated views of gender roles and issues. A boy being interested in "girl" activities doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the boy, the parents, or our society. It's increasingly difficult to label "right or wrong" when you have to first define what constitutes "masculine" or "feminine" activities. It's there that I believe we begin the trouble. To essentialize, that is, to treat a trait or characteristic as a reflection of an entire group, isn't fair, and from that we can have issues when things do not conform to our "normal" expectations. How do you define normal? What makes your normality the right one? and what makes another's automatically wrong? By no means do I extend this argument to ALL possibilities, but I think the argument is fair to make when there's such a quick dismissal of all things non-normal, which I find dangerous. I think there's a gray area, that things aren't as black and white as people assume, and that a boy who doesn't like to participate in Boy Scout activities is somehow wrong.

so using your logic, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with diana taurasi trying out/starting for the knicks (or any other nba team) if that's what she wants to do?  

How could you have possibly come to that conclusion based on my post?

My comments have been in reference to the stigma that if a boy didn't like playing sports and liked to cook or do what many call "women's duties", that there's somehow something disturbed or wrong about the kid. And that in order to establish those definitions of masculine/feminine, right/wrong, etc., you have to essentialize and make generalized statements about gender, which I disagree with.

You and I have gone back and forth a few times I recall
  Yes we have champ, good memory.

My issue in this particular instance is when people deal with extremes. That if a boy doesn't want to do everything deemed "masculine" and would prefer to do something "feminine" that he's automatically a failure in society and his parents should be shunned. If you want to say it's abnormal for a boy to be interested in "girl" activities, then the problem is people make the assumption that as a boy he'll be interested in whatever is considered "masculine."

I'm not sure where in this thead I or others dealt with extremes, but just going along with that notion this is not about extremes as you view it.  This is about a BOY wanting to join the GIRLS SCOUTS.  This boy is not a girl so he shouldn't even be allowed to the join the girl scouts, that's simply it.  I would say the same thing about a GIRL wanting to join the BOY SCOUTS.  The mother in this example at this point in time to me is a failure because her son is playing with dolls and wants to participate in activities that girls would involve themselves in.  Be it the fault of the mother or not, she's the one in charge at the house as the story didn't highlight any other parental figures in the household so I find her at fault. 

Another issue I have is the essentialism of "masculine" and "feminine". To isolate and categorize certain activities, beliefs, etc. as for men or women can be problematic. So saying that as a man you must be the bread winner or as a woman you must be home all day to take care of the kids, is an unfair and illogical stance. Not to say that you can't have those scenarios in your life, but that part of being a woman is cooking every meal and cleaning the house everyday, and that if a man likes to cook, he's deemed to have "feminine" interests and that it's a negative quality. That I have an issue with. It doesn't affect my life in a major way, I love to cook and if someone says that's feminine, then OK, it doesn't change my belief. But if you're punishing a boy for having an interest in cooking at a young age because it's too "girly", then there's a problem.

There's nothing wrong with you, me, or any other man that likes to cook, so I'm with you there.  Some of the worlds best chefs are men.  Just like there's nothing wrong with a woman being the bread winner in a houehold.  However, for me the issue comes into play if and when a man starts dressing up like a female on a consistent basis and if a female dresses like a man on a consistent basis.  We don't need a bunch of men looking like women out here and we certainly don't need a bunch of females out here looking like men, we have enough of that as it is already. 

This is applicable to a number of things in our society, though. The same essentialism I disagree with for gender, is also applied to race, class, etc. If someone suggested that to be a part of a certain ethnicity means that you have innate skills or interests, and that to deviate outside of that is abnormal, I would have an issue with that.

Race is one thing and gender is another.  If a specific example were provided that would be helpful.

Originally Posted by Deuce King
To address your last comment, of course they're two different things but I'm talking about the categorization or labeling of specific activities being a characteristic of ONLY one group of people. Whether it be black, white, men, women, etc. I think many would reject that notion in regards to racial issues, but they're more willing to accept that broad labeling when it comes to gender. And not just with sexual identity, but specifically with gender roles within society.
I'm not sure where in this thead I or others dealt with extremes, but just going along with that notion this is not about extremes as you view it.  This is about a BOY wanting to join the GIRLS SCOUTS.  This boy is not a girl so he shouldn't even be allowed to the join the girl scouts, that's simply it.  I would say the same thing about a GIRL wanting to join the BOY SCOUTS.  The mother in this example at this point in time to me is a failure because her son is playing with dolls and wants to participate in activities that girls would involve themselves in.  Be it the fault of the mother or not, she's the one in charge at the house as the story didn't highlight any other parental figures in the household so I find her at fault. 
Perhaps that's my fault for not specifically addressing this issue, but instead a consistent sentiment I've seen on NT. I'm not arguing he should be allowed in the Girl Scouts, but that his desire to do "feminine" labeled things is automatically wrong. I wasn't a member of the Boy Scouts and I don't have knowledge of those type of groups, so it's hard for me to comment on them specifically, but on the flip side, if a girl wanted to participate in Boy Scout activities, I'd like for her to have that option. If there's a co-ed version of a Boy Scouts type club, or if it's just the parents who take up that effort.. I'm speaking generally rather than with this specific example of Boy/Girl Scouts. The issue I see is the disapproval of children being interested in opposite gendered activities. I think that's problematic because A. you have to first categorize and make separate distinctions which I think is a challenge/unfair, and B. because a girl knowing how to build a campfire or a boy doing whatever Girl Scouts do (I honestly don't know other than cookies) isn't the end of the world. As I mentioned, that boy should join a co-ed group that teach skills or activities that would fall under what's labeled "masculine" and "feminine", that's a good idea in this case.

There's nothing wrong with you, me, or any other man that likes to cook, so I'm with you there.  Some of the worlds best chefs are men.  Just like there's nothing wrong with a woman being the bread winner in a houehold.  However, for me the issue comes into play if and when a man starts dressing up like a female on a consistent basis and if a female dresses like a man on a consistent basis.  We don't need a bunch of men looking like women out here and we certainly don't need a bunch of females out here looking like men, we have enough of that as it is already. 
I don't agree with the bolded. For me, if a man wants to dress up as a woman, that has no effect on my life or that of my family. Another person's choice of how to live that's not harming himself or causing a direct and physical harm to society, will most likely not affect my life. I won't speak in absolutes, but specifically with your example instead. I'm glad we do agree on the gender roles I mentioned, though. But in regards to other individual decisions for a man to dress as a woman, that doesn't hurt me, and that's his right to dress as he wants.

I think if a girl knew skills that one would consider "masculine" that isn't automatically negative, just as a boy knowing a "feminine" skill isn't automatically negative, either. You and I seem to agree on that, kind of.. but it seems as if we disagree when it comes to their gender choice in society (and probably issues of sexuality as well). I see your point when it comes to men/women dressing different, although I don't agree with it. I'm glad we can agree on the gender roles issue, and while I don't recall our last conversation specifically, I think it was much more hostile than this one
laugh.gif
So I appreciate your response.

Ya'll could really benefit from a sociology class...

SIDENOTE:...the more I learn, the more nihilistic I feel...its low-key depressing.
30t6p3b.gif

He is a boy

Usually there is someone in the family that would say "No not right now, maybe a little later"

Why do these parents feel the need to make it happen. Lets not forget they are just kids and could be in a phase. Sure maybe the kid wants to be a girl in the long run but seems too soon to commit.
She is basically encouraging this.... why cant she just tell the boy to ask later... but NO instead of seeing the bigger picture she sides with the kid and says WHY NOT!

Well because girl scouts are for girls silly. When the kid enters puberty he might make a 180..... Pushing it is too much. Sure he was born gay but the mother should a at least try to make him act like a boy
just a little.... he is a boy. Pushing the long and giving him dresses is a little too much. A responsible parent might explain to the child that by going over the top he might not fit well socially.... it is not to fit society but it is for the good of the child because society will do harm.

Back
Top Bottom