∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

He's had great roles, but that doesn't mean he's a great actor.

He's serviceable, but personally I would never rank him in the upper echelon.

That makes zero sense.

Dude has great in a wild variety of roles. He has been nominated for Oscars 3 times, but he is just "serviceable" :smh:

Sorry brah, I respect you opinion, but I still consider it nonsense

Last edited:
tom hardy went from smoking crack on the streets
to being discovered and winning a modeling contest
to a wonderfully talented actor :smokin

That makes zero sense.

Dude has great in a wild variety of roles. He has been nominated for Oscars 3 times, but he is just "serviceable" :smh:

How does it make zero sense? He doesn't create the characters he plays.

Cuba Gooding Jr. has an Oscar, not because he's a great actor, but because he had a great role.

That makes zero sense.

How does it make zero sense? He doesn't create the characters he plays.

Cuba Gooding Jr. has an Oscar, not because he's a great actor, but because he had a great role.

So Pitt caught lighting in the bottle 3 times :rolleyes

What about Snatch? Burn After Reading? Bastards? Assassination of Jesse James?

You're telling me you could have seen any "serviceable" actor playing Tyler Durden?

Those characters were great because of the way Pitt brought them to life.

He's a good actor, but he's not a phenom.

With the films you listed we have Guy Ritchie, the Coens, and Quentin Tarantino as writers (I never saw The Assassination...) yet I'm supposed to believe that Brad Pitt is the sole reason those characters were memorable?

I'm not buying it.

^^^ So he gets knocked for working with good writers/directors too :rolleyes :smh: :lol:

Even Richie and Tarantino speak highly over how Pitt exceeded their expectations.

Your opinion is that he is overrated, fine. But that doesn't make it a fact.

Huh?

How is it a knock to say that writers have more of an impact on a character than the actor?

And I never asserted that my opinion was fact, so I really don't know why you've been challenging me as if I did.

I'm not telling you not to like him. He's just not a top tier talent to me.

How do you not give credit to an actor when he does well in a role? He contributes to the role as well.

I know it's not a popular opinion and I don't really feel like being railroaded today so I'll just see my way out.

"Arrivederci"

Pitt would be great. Got the star power and chance to challenge himself and it's true he'd be a step down from any of MM's recent stellar performances.

The way I see it Pitt leans more to movie star than incredible actor. He's talented and very good but I've enjoyed his roles more than I've been amazed by them. I would not say being nominated and not winning is catching lightning in a bottle. That's just the academy acknowledging a really good to great performance. He's had memorable roles from great movies but they've just been enjoyable like this is fun to watch not DDL level where I'm in awe of what he's doing right now. His surprise factor with roles aren't that high. The movies being mentioned to praise him just aren't striking me as :wow: he was amazing in that.

I like the idea of 2 crazy characters pairing up as well.

Rusty is right though, you guys gotta stop putting potential actors in a box and comparing them to Rust and Marty. Yall aint any better than the dudes wishing the series would end after one season and putting the season on a golden pedestal like it was the greatest ever. Aint nothing wrong with a completely different dynamic between the two new partners next season.
It would be hilarious and cool if he was cast and pulled a Ledger with his performance similar to the 180 we see in how different Bob Saget is from Danny tanner :lol:

Last edited:
Pitt...he's really good in a movie star way. In a Will Smith trying to be serious way.

Thing is, you make him the eccentric side guy...the charming comic relief...the 'stand there and hit the audience with the eyes' dude...he's on it. Cuz he's a character actor in a leading man's body. Same as Colin Farrell. Same as today's Johnny Depp. You give him a side role, where he can let loose? He'll always leave you saying...yup...that's Brad ******* Pitt. Cuz it's about what he's great at. He can be your comic relief, your spaz, your quirky 3rd man, your handsome brooding stranger, your badass, your dummy. I mean...definition of a character actor.

You give him a lead role? He'll be aight in 'hey, there goes Brad Pitt again' sorta way. His ace is that he chooses roles better than almost any other People magazine type actor. If he didn't...he'd be Colin Farrell right now. And if he just went for the cash grabs, he'd be Johnny Depp today. But he doesn't. And he'll always make you like his character on screen. It's just...he's a good actor, not a great one. You don't leave his films thinking, he's the best in the game or give that man an Oscar.

Give him 15 or 20 minutes in a movie, he'll give you something memorable and maybe lowkey iconic. Give him 8 hours, you'll probably get something decent.

Tom Hardy, though, would be amazing. He's not as big a name as some of these guys, but he'd kill anything Nic threw at him. You get him...bring the writing, 3 eps in dudes are gonna be pushing MM down the list.

^^^^ The same could have been said for Mathew before Dallas Buyers Club.

-Pitt has had 2 nominations as a Lead. So people have definitely left some of movies thinking that.

-And he has made some lackluster films in that time too.

-In Assassination of Jesse James of he plays a unlikable figure, also in Tree of Life. And were great in those.

-I just don't see these theories about Pitt's acting matching up with his resume

But I'm with you on Tom Hardy.

Last edited:
Just finished this up.

Had no idea Michelle Monaghan had cakes like that. Always thought she was :smokin but that just took her to another level. :smokin :smokin

Edit:

GoodQueasyGibbon.gif

Last edited:

LOL @ the suggestion that Pitt isnt on MM's level

listen to yourselves
Brad Pitt is criminally overrated.

Like someone said already...he's just aight.
Overrated?
mean.gif

How?

Dude's resume speak for itself. Maybe he is a few years remove from his better work, but dude deserves to be ranked up there with the best.
Pitt is awesome but I don't know how many of you have watched Se7en, the movie that is causing everyone to be like YAAAAY BRAD!!!, lately.

His acting in that is pretty awful.  

He's a good actor though and a well written character plays itself.  Rust Cohle was well written and interesting.  Flip flop the stars into the roles they were originally intended (Cohle was written for Harrelson) and I'm pretty sure you'd get a closely impressive performance out of Woody.

Last edited:
Pitt...he's really good in a movie star way. In a Will Smith trying to be serious way.

Thing is, you make him the eccentric side guy...the charming comic relief...the 'stand there and hit the audience with the eyes' dude...he's on it. Cuz he's a character actor in a leading man's body. Same as Colin Farrell. Same as today's Johnny Depp. You give him a side role, where he can let loose? He'll always leave you saying...yup...that's Brad ******* Pitt. Cuz it's about what he's great at. He can be your comic relief, your spaz, your quirky 3rd man, your handsome brooding stranger, your badass, your dummy. I mean...definition of a character actor.

You give him a lead role? He'll be aight in 'hey, there goes Brad Pitt again' sorta way. His ace is that he chooses roles better than almost any other People magazine type actor. If he didn't...he'd be Colin Farrell right now. And if he just went for the cash grabs, he'd be Johnny Depp today. But he doesn't. And he'll always make you like his character on screen. It's just...he's a good actor, not a great one. You don't leave his films thinking, he's the best in the game or give that man an Oscar.

Give him 15 or 20 minutes in a movie, he'll give you something memorable and maybe lowkey iconic. Give him 8 hours, you'll probably get something decent.

Tom Hardy, though, would be amazing. He's not as big a name as some of these guys, but he'd kill anything Nic threw at him. You get him...bring the writing, 3 eps in dudes are gonna be pushing MM down the list.
The thing is if we had this same discussion in December all of you would have said the exact same thing about Matthew McConaughey (and don't you dare say anything about "Mud" because you know it's true.)

So this whole discussion is silly.  

It's the "Lebron isn't clutch" argument except commuted to television actors.

Pitt is a movie star more so than he is a great actor. There's a difference.

I think I would be cool with him in a TD season though.

Last edited:
Errol seemed like a pretty sophisticated villain. His surroundings betrayed his inteligence and pathology.
Agreed. He was not an idiot. He had the multiple accents, for example. And the trashiness of his home and daily life were counterbalanced by the sophistication of his temple thing.

There is definitely more to the story, and I hope we at least get some tangential references to it in season 2. This wasn't simply a rogue psycho whose crimes the family was covering up out of shame or duty. This was a huge operation in which Errol only played a role.

Like someone said on the past page, he was likely now operating more on his own and that's what exposed him.

NT Greatest Hits of dudes judging actors

-Christian Bale as Batman? WTF, dude as been in nothing, he was decent in American Physco, but that's it.

-Heath Leger is the Joker :x :smh:

-Tom Hardy is Bane :rolleyes

-Philip Seymour Hoffman is overrated

- 3x time Oscar nominated actor Brad Pitt is "just good". I don't need to look at his resume I just, you know, know. :rolleyes

Last edited:
Pitt would be great. Got the star power and chance to challenge himself and it's true he'd be a step down from any of MM's recent stellar performances.

The way I see it Pitt leans more to movie star than incredible actor. He's talented and very good but I've enjoyed his roles more than I've been amazed by them. I would not say being nominated and not winning is catching lightning in a bottle. That's just the academy acknowledging a really good to great performance. He's had memorable roles from great movies but they've just been enjoyable like this is fun to watch not DDL level where I'm in awe of what he's doing right now. His surprise factor with roles aren't that high. The movies being mentioned to praise him just aren't striking me as :wow: he was amazing in that.

I like the idea of 2 crazy characters pairing up as well.

Rusty is right though, you guys gotta stop putting potential actors in a box and comparing them to Rust and Marty. Yall aint any better than the dudes wishing the series would end after one season and putting the season on a golden pedestal like it was the greatest ever. Aint nothing wrong with a completely different dynamic between the two new partners next season.
It would be hilarious and cool if he was cast and pulled a Ledger with his performance similar to the 180 we see in how different Bob Saget is from Danny tanner :lol:

thats what i was going for :smokin

Errol seemed like a pretty sophisticated villain. His surroundings betrayed his inteligence and pathology.
Agreed. He was not an idiot. He had the multiple accents, for example. And the trashiness of his home and daily life were counterbalanced by the sophistication of his temple thing.

There is definitely more to the story, and I hope we at least get some tangential references to it in season 2. This wasn't simply a rogue psycho whose crimes the family was covering up out of shame or duty. This was a huge operation in which Errol only played a role.

Like someone said on the past page, he was likely now operating more on his own and that's what exposed him.

i thnk tuttle and the other ringleaders (sheriff childress) died so errol was on his own in terms of keeping it going

Back
Top Bottom