☘️ Boston Celtics Official 2023-2024 Regular Season Thread ☘️

So apparently Hayward left on crunches and in a boot, MRI upcoming. Probably curtains for him. That's a problem.

So apparently Hayward left on crunches and in a boot, MRI upcoming. Probably curtains for him. That's a problem.
That could also be a precautionary measure too. We'll see. Could miss a game or two. Could miss a week or two.

That could also be a precautionary measure too. We'll see. Could miss a game or two. Could miss a week or two.

Hate to be a pessimist, but I feel like it's a wrap for him :frown:

Obviously I hope I'm wrong and it's precautionary.

Last edited:
Had to be a pessimist, but I feel like it's a wrap for him :frown:

Obviously I hope I'm wrong and it's precautionary.
Yeah I hear you.

Looks like we'll get a little more Wannamaker/Semi/Grant for the foreseeable future. On the bright side, our team was accustomed to playing with injuries to someone all throughout the season, Hayward in particular, so the adjustment shouldn't be huge. Obviously sucks not to have him though.

Would you guys prefer the Grizzlies to get lucky as hell and land in the top 4 of the draft lotto tonight, which would give us their unprotected pick next year, or have them convey the 14th pick to us this year?

Would you guys prefer the Grizzlies to get lucky as hell and land in the top 4 of the draft lotto tonight, which would give us their unprotected pick next year, or have them convey the 14th pick to us this year?

I honestly don't know enough about college hoop to give an opinion. I have heard that there's a better draft class next year. True? Then we'd just have to root against them again next year.

I honestly don't know enough about college hoop to give an opinion. I have heard that there's a better draft class next year. True? Then we'd just have to root against them again next year.
This year's draft lacks top flight talent but is really deep with role players (which is kinda good for us). Like I think we'd definitely be able to get someone that can help us immediately at #14, unless we take a guy that is more of a project like RJ Hampton.

Next year's draft is supposed to more talented overall and deeper with top flight prospects. Could potentially get a bit of a higher pick if Memphis is a little worse, which I do think is possible. Warriors, Suns, and Pelicans should all be better than they were last year. Only playoff team that might drop out is OKC.

Issue with next year's draft though is we have no clue if these prospects are even going to be playing much competitive ball with COVID and whatnot. Losing a year of potential development would kind of suck.

This year's draft lacks top flight talent but is really deep with role players (which is kinda good for us). Like I think we'd definitely be able to get someone that can help us immediately at #14, unless we take a guy that is more of a project like RJ Hampton.

Next year's draft is supposed to more talented overall and deeper with top flight prospects. Could potentially get a bit of a higher pick if Memphis is a little worse, which I do think is possible. Warriors, Suns, and Pelicans should all be better than they were last year. Only playoff team that might drop out is OKC.

Issue with next year's draft though is we have no clue if these prospects are even going to be playing much competitive ball with COVID and whatnot. Losing a year of potential development would kind of suck.

I guess the way you described it I'd rather it just convey this year. Any bigs that could be serviceable right out the gate? Like a Jaxson Hayes lite?

I guess the way you described it I'd rather it just convey this year. Any bigs that could be serviceable right out the gate? Like a Jaxson Hayes lite?
I think a decent big could be had with one of the 26/30 picks. Jalen Smith/Daniel Oturu/Xavier Tilman/Isiah Stewart/Zeke Nnajji. At least a few of those should still be available. Think we go with a PG or a wing with the 14th pick.

If the Cs go with a PG this year, then I guess both Carsen and Tremont gonna be traded? I love Tremont’s game and I think he’ll take over Wanamaker’s spot someday.

IMO, a serviceable big like a Bam Adebayo-type would be ideal for what the Cs do

If the Cs go with a PG this year, then I guess both Carsen and Tremont gonna be traded? I love Tremont’s game and I think he’ll take over Wanamaker’s spot someday.

IMO, a serviceable big like a Bam Adebayo-type would be ideal for what the Cs do
Probably. Love Tremont's game, but he's just too small. Is what it is. Still want to see if Carsen can adjust at all, but I wouldn't be attached to him either. He needs playing time and just don't think he can get it in Boston.

I don't think Brad's system necessarily needs a traditional PG (we had Tatum running point a lot last night), but this would be the draft where we could potentially add a lead/secondary ball handler. Not gonna have another lotto pick for a long time I don't think.

Could definitely use a Bam-type, but those don't grow on trees and teams have smartened up to those guys draft-wise. Brandon Clarke slipped last year, but he was also 23 years old and guys like that always drop. Okongwu fits the mold, but I don't think we will be able to trade up high enough to get him.

End of the day, we've already done the hard part. We got the franchise cornerstone and his running mate. Smart is only 26 and should be around for the foreseeable future. Now just need to get the right complementary pieces.

I think at worst Romeo is going to develop into a top 8 rotation guy if not starter, Grant will be a good rotation guy, and Timelord might be capable of being a starting C at some point if he can stay healthy.

So that's basically a young-ish core of 6. Should be able to add a couple more in this draft.

Yeah that was an issue, plus a couple of our other presumed targets ended up not getting moved by their teams at all.

I think Tristan kinda saw the writing on the wall where he might not actually make the money he'd want this offseason as a FA if he agreed to a buyout, so he wanted to try to stay on CLE so they could re-sign him at a decent number with bird rights and then maybe trade him elsewhere.

Yeah that was an issue, plus a couple of our other presumed targets ended up not getting moved by their teams at all.

I think Tristan kinda saw the writing on the wall where he might not actually make the money he'd want this offseason as a FA if he agreed to a buyout, so he wanted to try to stay on CLE so they could re-sign him at a decent number with bird rights and then maybe trade him elsewhere.

Back to the Hayward conundrum. He's gonna opt in. What can be done?

I've heard both Dipo and Myles Turner may want out of Indiana. Could obtaining Turner and a filler be on the table for Hayward?

Maybe something like this? Could send Timelord their way too if needed.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.50.11 PM.png

Maybe something like this? Could send Timelord their way too if needed.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.50.11 PM.png

I don’t mind this at all even with the draft picks included. Might as well bank on NBA talent rather than wait for rookies to develop.

Timelord’s defense is so frustrating to watch. Theis has done his best but I think his size limits him so much, especially on iso.

Hayward is from Indy and just bought a huge house there recently. I'm sure he wouldn't mind going home since his wife is also from there. Trading Hayward there let's Ainge avoid the "Oh, he's a bad guy, just treating his players like assets" narrative. Part of me thinks this has been in the works for quite some time now.

Would love to put something together that would get us Turner and Lamb in return. Lamb will be almost a year removed from his injury by the time the season starts back up. Could be a solid wing scorer off the bench.

Back
Top Bottom