🎾 OFFICIAL AGASSI RETRO THREAD - ATC II 2024 Hot Lava and 2025 Pink Racer🎾

Sampras was tennis genius but was also maniacal with every detail in his tennis life. The reason why he didn't have more models is because he chose to wear the Oscillate I think five or six years in a row. Bad for Nike, but good for him because he kept winning.

Sampras was important because even though he didn't have the commercials and the glitz, he won. He had more slams, more wins overall, and more weeks at number one than Agassi and courier. Being on TV in the finals and winning was very, very important for Nike.

No matter how you feel, good discussion. Very nice change from the Jordan forum.

Last edited:
I'm not discrediting how good of a player Sampras was and yes he did wear the Oscillates for a long period of time. However, if he and Andre were playing at the same time even at a tournament such as Wimbledon, it would be Sampras that would be put on an outer court despite his on court success. Andre's popularity and marketability was always way ahead of any other player on the tour, even if it didn't always result in the most titles and world #1 rankings.

Last edited:
today: so firey, ima rock these tomorrow.
tGvEL3Wl.jpg

Great commercial, golden era of Nike.

Regarding the comment about Wimbledon. Sampras was I believe a seven-time champion? During that run, no way in heck he's playing on an outer court because of anyone besides kournikova maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARK
I would have to do some research but I'm pretty sure that did happen on one instance at Wimbledon. It is extremely rare in any slam to have to players of that caliber playing at the same time but it might have been due to rain delays. Lol Kournikova? I assume you are joking. But my point is Agassi was always the hottest draw for every tournament regardless of his ranking or titles. This thread also had some discussion on Andre's impact on ratings.

https://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php?threads/any-tv-ratings-news.86540/

And another one "No one draws TV viewers to tennis like Andre Agassi."

http://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/85963-us-ratings-mens-final-down-15%-last-year.html#/topics/85963

Last edited:
Looking back, it was a great rebound in his career, but also such a shame that he "wasted" that year or so when he could have won a few more slams.
It's tough battling your own demons.

Reactions: ARK
Looking back, it was a great rebound in his career, but also such a shame that he "wasted" that year or so when he could have won a few more slams.
It's tough battling your own demons.

What was he struggling with in his personal life during the down time?

From what I can remember, it was his wrist injury resurfacing, divorce with Brooke Shields and meth, no thanks to Slim.

Awesome articles everyone has posted recently Especially since Nike hasn't given us ANYTHING to get excited for. I figured I have been waiting long enough to post this little "gem" of mine. I really forgot about it as it's rather old (it was released back in 1996 I believe). I bought it when I was at my 1st job, just out of HS (I graduated '95...yeah, I'm old, lol ).

The sneaker store I was the assistant manager for, there was a small watch kiosk across from us. I asked the manager who I was friendly with, if he could order it. Low and behold a few weeks later, it arrived!!

I give you, the Victorinox Andre Agassi limited edition tennis ball colored watch!!! Still in great shape, though it does have a true to the watch replacement band (the replacement is noticably more stiff than the original band. Same design and all, just a different material Victorinox used I guess).

I wore it for many years and then once I replaced the band, I kinda forgot about it and it was at my parents house for years after I moved out. I still love the bold color (which for this brand, is saying something that they did what they did. Most of their watches are rather subdued. Beautiful but not "out there").

Anyhow, I figured everyone would get a kick out of it. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Oh, and about the time showing? I hasn't run in years as the battery died. I'll pop a new one in and see if it works. It should.

IMG_20170905_213041.jpg
IMG_20170905_213049.jpg
IMG_20170905_213115.jpg

I still have my watch of course! It came in a bkack box wrapped around a tennis ball.
Yes it did KB. I only wish I kept the box and ball. Knowing how I was when I was younger, I probably still have it somewhere at my parents house. Thought I have NO IDEA where to even begin to look, lol!

Awesome articles everyone has posted recently Especially since Nike hasn't given us ANYTHING to get excited for. I figured I have been waiting long enough to post this little "gem" of mine. I really forgot about it as it's rather old (it was released back in 1996 I believe). I bought it when I was at my 1st job, just out of HS (I graduated '95...yeah, I'm old, lol ).

The sneaker store I was the assistant manager for, there was a small watch kiosk across from us. I asked the manager who I was friendly with, if he could order it. Low and behold a few weeks later, it arrived!!

I give you, the Victorinox Andre Agassi limited edition tennis ball colored watch!!! Still in great shape, though it does have a true to the watch replacement band (the replacement is noticably more stiff than the original band. Same design and all, just a different material Victorinox used I guess).

I wore it for many years and then once I replaced the band, I kinda forgot about it and it was at my parents house for years after I moved out. I still love the bold color (which for this brand, is saying something that they did what they did. Most of their watches are rather subdued. Beautiful but not "out there").

Anyhow, I figured everyone would get a kick out of it. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Oh, and about the time showing? I hasn't run in years as the battery died. I'll pop a new one in and see if it works. It should.

IMG_20170905_213041.jpg
IMG_20170905_213049.jpg
IMG_20170905_213115.jpg

Great post! I still have mine as well somewhere at my mother's place. I remember getting it either at the 96 US Open or in NYC during that same trip. If memory serves correctly, it came in or strapped to a tennis ball.

Moving on to little "gem" #2. Not as rare as the watch but how many of us still have one of these in even halfway decent shape? This is original, not worn much (I never liked unstructured hats, so I didn't wear it much, other than to the US Open when I went for many years in the mid 90s to mid 2000s). Still glad I held onto it after all these years.

Come one Nike, give us something new!!! I'd settle for a Challenge Court t-shirt at this point!

IMG_20170905_220016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom